Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 7079387373
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Thursday-Monday: 5:30PM-9:00PM Lunch Saturday and Sunday ONLY: 12:00PM-2:30PM Closed Tuesday and Wednesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Rudy Mihal
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant Rudy
A contemporary American eatery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Rudy reviews from OpenTable diners
- The best pasta anywhereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/21/2014Restaurant Rudy's pasta is the best I have ever had, anywhere. The menu at this gem is limited, but to me, that just means Rudy can perfect the dishes he does serve, and perfection is what your taste buds will get. Another perk - the prices are so low that you don't spend any more here than you would at a neighborhood pizza place, but what a world of difference. I'll be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day dinnerGretcha1VIPDined on 2/14/2014We have been in for dinner before and were always satisfied. The dinner was pre-fix, however the choices were great. Something for everyone. The portions were large and the food was hot (I hate cold food). We both got different starters and main choices so we could share. We loved everything! Our server was friendly and attentive. We will definitely return!!!Special Features:
- Valatines dayrudyDined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed our valentines day fixed meal although the food was only average and there was only one red wine offered per glass. I was a bit expensive also. The Desert was awesome the service was great and the ambiance was nice. I think we will give Rudy's another try on a regular night out.Special Features:
- closed!claytVIPDined on 2/13/2014Open Table gave me a confirmed reservation for Thursday Feb. 13th at 7PM. I was 2 minutes late. It was not open. I am a local and pass the place daily. We were going because we noted the place was not very busy and we wanted to support it.Special Features:
- Decent Food, Boring AmbienceboobooVIPDined on 2/8/2014The location of Restaurant Rudy is one that has had lots of turnover throughout the years & unless Rudy makes some changes, I fear this spot will have the same fate. The decor was a cross between IKEA & Restoration Hardware with no heart. The 10-item menu was printed on the top half of an 8.5x11 piece of paper. There was one red wine to choose from on the "by the cup" list & the bottles were way more expensive than this level of restaurant should be charging. We weren't even offered dessert. I don't know if they don't offer it or just didn't offer it to us, but for busy parents of an infant who spent their one date night out at this "promising" spot - we were disappointed.
- Rotating Menu with Tasty ItemsSonomaMamaDined on 1/12/2014We went on a Sunday, it was almost empty. The menu was simple and we all found something to eat and share. Because there were few patrons the service was fast and efficient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior Dining at a nice priceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/28/2013Restaurant Rudy offers superior big city dining at small town prices. The menu is small, resulting in all dishes being extraordinarily well prepared. Our table of 5 tried nearly all of the appetizers. Each and every one was delectable. We all stuck with the pastas for our entrees and were not disappointed. Perfectly cooked and seasoned, they ensured our desire to return. Big pots of French press made for a nice ending after enjoying some good bottles of wine. Service was prompt and efficient. And again, the prices were incredibly reasonable. This is our new favorite in Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, as always!SonomaFoodiesVIPDined on 12/14/2013Food & service are always great. Don't understand why this place hasn't been "discovered" yet (i.e., its still relatively easy to get a table).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our thanksgiving dinner........YuckVIPDined on 11/28/2013Dined here on thanksgiving. Had a good turkey dinner with different items than traditional which we enjoyed (restaurant had only set menu). We brought our dog and were pleased that they had a patio area........however, they need to get some heaters as it was too cold to sit outdoors. They did sneak us into the very back of the restaurant when it was quiet. I would go back and try menu items......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Rudy'sSusan23Dined on 11/4/2013The food is excellent. Creative, delicious, and flavorful. It's a local favorite of ours.Special Features:
- Restaurant Rudy in downtown SonomaInTownVIPDined on 10/19/2013I ate here with a group of 10 for a bachelorette party. We were given a nice big table and everything seemed ok at first. We soon realized how understaffed the place was on a Saturday night. There were just 2 servers who also sereved as bartenders and bussers. The kitchen was painfully slow. Our server did her very best and we actually felt sorry for her. She tried hard to please us but unfortunatly soem of our guests were very upset with the wait for drinks and food. The manager or owner needs to seriously take a look at the staffing problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely surprise!OttahandDined on 10/18/2013Restaurant Rudy has great food at fair prices. Nothing on the menu the night we were there was over $20. We had a couple of wines by the glass and they were generous pours and they waived our corkage fee. We started with their Romaine salad and then shared the generous small plate of meatballs made with beef, pork and pine nuts. Then we both had their Short Ribs which were heavenly - one of the best plates of them I have had and I order that dish a lot. Very good strong decaf coffee to top off a lovely evening. Both Bella and the rest of the staff were friendly and provided excellent service. Look up this place right off the Sonoma Plaza on Broadway. Worth a detour!Special Features:
- Not a very good choicesonomastanVIPDined on 10/17/2013So many better choices in Sonoma. Food wasn't bad but with a very limited selection including two mains in addition to a few Pasta selections. Service while well intentioned was awful. The space is depressing. Overall not a positive wine country experience.
- Excellent as usual!SonomaFoodiesVIPDined on 9/30/2013Limited menu, but the dishes are always fabulous; flavors are complex, layered, unexpected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big MistakedaisygirlVIPDined on 9/27/2013Awful. Just awful. Went based on a recent review in the SF Chronicle (not Michael Bauer). Big mistake. Food was overcooked, dry - really bad. Service was even worse.
- Very nice setting, but thefestivalgoersVIPDined on 9/21/2013Very nice setting, but the chicken was very dry. I wonder if it was because we were late diners and it was sitting around. The halibut was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2013Needed to have a space to spread out to do business whilst dining. The patio was quiet and we had an oversized space to enjoy a varied menu and accomplish our mission. Innovative offerings and accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine Italian CuisinePaulusDined on 9/16/2013This has to be the best and by far the tastiest meal that we have eaten in California. Where most places that we have eaten in the last 3 weeks concentrate on quantity this amazing restaurant concentrates on quality and at a very reasonable price -and the Chef is also a really nice guy. You must go here...it really is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, awful servicePhilFromSonomaVIPDined on 9/14/2013We arrived on time. There were a few tables occupied but nowhere near full. We chose to sit outside since the weather was nice. Service was a little slow but the servers were very nice and we weren't in a hurry. They took our order and it went downhill from there. My wife and I ordered appetizers and our daughter ordered an appetizer and salad. They brought our appetizers and our daughters salad, appetizer and entrée all at once. So we asked them to take the entrée back to the kitchen. We then waited over an hour for our entrees. The food deserves the four stars. We declined to look at the dessert list. Other than apologizing a lot, they made no effort to make things right.
- Best in SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2013The chef, Rudy Mihal, is the best find in Sonoma since wine and gold. A craftsman, a genius, and all with a Sicilian flare. Arancini are worth going for alone. And not just pasta dishes. The real way to do this is to get a bunch of small plates so you can review his culinary range. Can't believe this spot isn't packed. But good for me. Got lots of special attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChuckDined on 8/21/2013Based upon a review by the restaurant critic in our newspaper, we were looking forward to our meal. We ate early , 6pm, and were the only diners in the restaurant. We ordered the fried chicken dinner and when our dinners arrived, the (dry) biscuits served with them were both cold in the middle. The kale was overly salted and inedible. The mashed potatoes were from a package and so was the gravey. The chicken was hot and tasty although there was a large amount of fried coating that was saturated with cooking oil that needed to be peeled off to get to the chicken. Berry crumble was listed as the dessert but sorbet was substituted for it without an explanation. Would not recommend.
- Lunch too!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2013We've eaten at Rudy's countless times and each time the food has been exceptional and service always warm and friendly. Such as a pleasant change from the other options around the square. This was our first visit for lunch and we loved it. There was a great array of interesting takes on different sandwiches burgers - the porchetta was outstanding. Highly recommend stopping by for lunch or dinner!Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2013I ready like this place. It is just starting up but the one man show is great. The owner cooks everything. The chooses we had was great and seasoned very well. I would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hopefully just one off nightJulesVIPDined on 5/11/2013Pretty restaurant, service a little slow but very nice waitress. Superb shrimp appetizer, alas entrees somewhat disappointing, except for fried chicken, which was great.
- A great new restaurant in Sonoma!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2013Tired of the usual restaurants in Sonoma, we wanted to try something different without driving out of town and decided to try Restaurant Rudy. We had a fantastic dinner! The artichoke soup with a goat cheese fritter was exceptional! Our pasta dishes reminded us of our trips to Italy! Our entrees were unique and delicious! The service was slow, but when we looked into the open kitchen we saw why: Chef Rudy preparing all our food with only the help from a dishwasher! Once we realized this, we enjoyed our wine and conversation; the food was worth the wait. Recommendations: Have more than one beer on the menu. Serving bread would be nice. Desserts didn't match the food. We will certainly be back again & encourage Sonoma locals to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange reversalRobobobVIPDined on 5/10/2013A few weeks ago we four locals ate here and raved about every entree. Inventive, reasonable, deserted, delicious: It seemed to good to be true and unfortunately it was. This visit the halibut was very dry, nearly inedible. The sturgeon was less so, but hardly succulent, wrapped and roasted in prosciutto, a feature which seemed more an annoyance than integral. The steak was, well, steak. Honestly, I didn't taste it and the one who did, did not complain. Nor did she rave—and she will, on reasonable occasions. The (non-truffle) fries are still the best, though. The waitress is still charming and competent. But I fear that—in this town, with so many solid restaurants in the vicinity—Restaurant Rudy might not get a return visit, not from us.
- Second tryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2013Unfortunately this was our second time here and our last. The restaurant was practically empty which was our first clue! The service was good though, how could it not be with only two other tables occupied 7pm on a Thursday night. I had the bucatini with procuitto, ceringnola olives and sundried tomatoes. It was actually quite good. Then I ordered this veal dish stuffed with cheese and some bread crumbs with a lot of garlic. The cheese wasn't even completely melted nor was the veal cooked through. My husband had the little gem salad which had a very strong anchovie flavor and then the lasagna for the main course. His too was barely warmed through and very dry. There is absolutely NO ambience in this restaurant. NONE!
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2013This is one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants and it has never disappointed us. This occasion was no different. The braised lamb shank was outstanding - prepared to perfection and delivered with great presentation. As always the service was excellent.Special Features:
- The reviews we read onlineBzerkeleyVIPDined on 3/31/2013The reviews we read online were mostly raves so we were excited to try it out. We went for brunch on Easter Sunday. Had the special lamb dish and the cheese and pork panini. I give the food a B minus or C plus. It was imaginative but missed the mark. The flavors were just not that distinctive. The fingerling potatoes and the cippolini mushrooms were the best part of the leg of lamb dish. Can you imagine lamb with gravy that lacked flavor? We won't be back.
- Eat here now!RobobobVIPDined on 3/29/2013Our party enjoyed four different main courses and each elicited a "wow". The portions were generous, the service friendly and efficient, the prices very reasonable. We all live in Sonoma and we are baffled by the absence of buzz around this place. Restaurant Rudy should be a very busy place, like Cafe La Haye, which at no more than a 100 paces, is no closer to the plaza. Hopefully this mystery soon resolves itself and Restaurant Rudy will stick around for a long time.Special Features:
- The main course menu is limited.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2013The main course menu is limited. All three of us ordered sea bass for $22.00@ and the portion was appetizer size, and certainly overpriced for the portion. I recommend ordering off the appetizer and trying the tortelli which was delicious and ample portion for $14.00. Even though I made a comment upon being served the main course, it was ignored by the waitress. Wine by the glass is limited. Just a place for appetizers, and that;s it.
- wonderful food - slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/22/2013Restaurant Rudy has wonderful food. Amazing salads large enough to share. Main courses are delicious. The service is slow - even on a quiet night the wait between salad and entree was too long. Hopefully they will resolve this glitch because the food is amazing.Special Features:
- Restaurant Rudy's is awesome!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/20/2013Restaurant Rudy's is awesome!! The fried chicken was very tasty!Special Features:
- We ate outside in the backChance4meVIPDined on 3/17/2013We ate outside in the back in a small area which seats approximately 20 people. The service was quite friendly and helpful. My friend ordered the veggie burger which she liked. It came with fries which were outstanding, hot and crunchy. I had the pork encased in a pastry shell. It was a very good sized portion.Special Features:
- Restaurant Rudy serves greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2013Restaurant Rudy serves great food and is my favorite place to eat on the Sonoma Square. Eggs Benedict were great and the fresh cooked pasta was also very delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and friendly service.EvanDined on 3/9/2013Great food and friendly service. Short ribs and lamb shank melted in my mouth
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/23/2013Excellent Service! Very good french fries and salads……the Sea Bass was good but did not care for the green sauce served with it. I wouldn't mind seeing better entree choices but everything they serve is good. They really, really need to change the music to dinner Jazz the pop station spoils the ambiance of fine dining.
- We are all so delighted toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2013We are all so delighted to have this new restaurant in Sonoma!! The food was amazing and the service was exceptional!Special Features:
- Nice restaurant after spendingEtwalzDined on 2/9/2013Nice restaurant after spending the day in Sonoma. Interesting dishes.Special Features:
- Rudy is doing it right!Rustymom64VIPDined on 2/7/2013This was our first visit since Cafe 522. We love the new look inside-much softer . We dined with 2 other couples who were also there for the first time. The food was wonderful from the salad to the entree. We did not try the desserts but truly enjoyed our meals We will be back!!Special Features: