2132 Florida Ave., N.W
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.noras.com/
- Phone: (202) 462-5143
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nora Pouillon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant Nora
In April 1999, Restaurant Nora became America's first certified organic restaurant. This means that 95% or more of everything that you eat at the restaurant has been produced by certified organic growers and farmers all who share in Nora's commitment to sustainable agriculture. Nora always offers seasonal, fresh organic food, prepared in a healthy, balanced way and enjoys a "big following" of environmentalists and politicians, who can eat here with a clear conscience, knowing that what's on their plate hasn't polluted the environment, is healthy for them, and tastes good too. Nora offers a special chef's tasting menu, which is perfectly accompanied by a spectacular choice of wines from our award winning wine list, featuring over 100 exceptional wines from small wine producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Nora reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)special occasion (141)romantic (105)neighborhood gem (90)notable wine list (70)good for groups (32)hot spot (11)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good Food, Lackluster ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014The food was delicious and the overall experience was fine, but I was left with a sour taste in my mouth by the service. Generally felt a little rushed and unattended to throughout the meal. I can see the appeal, and I'm glad to have gotten to experience the restaurant but I don't see myself returning.Special Features:
- Dinner for 2NoraDined on 11/22/2014We booked on a Friday night and by the time we ordered it was a full house. That said service was sharp and there was no sigh of "being in the weeds" by the staff. Food was great overall except for the Pumpkin pie that had old 3 day cld crust and filling taste to it- BenjiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service A+, intimate, good food, bread dry/dulllovetoeatDined on 11/22/2014We split two apps (beet salad and smoked salmon) and they were very nice, I liked salmon best. Beet salad was fine but expected to be wowed. We split arugla salad, again good not out of the park. Also shared duck which had amazing flavors. I wish I had gotten whole order for myself. The bread was dry and not tasty at all. That was very odd. The service was the best part. Every interaction with the staff was outstanding and we experienced the professionalism and knowledge of an excellent team. I felt a cold breeze and they immediately turned off the ceiling fan blower. List of wines by the glass could have been more robust. They don't list them on menu and seem to be trying to force you to buy 1/2 or full bottles. For those who don't drink much that is difficult. Overall, very nice experience. I had eaten at Nora's when it first opened and I was happy to see it's still thriving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcomingly peacefulSerentityDined on 11/21/2014We had dinner here on a Friday night. I was recovering from laryngitis, looking for a restuarant with excellent food but not the current fad of 'energetic' noise level. Nora's was perfect. It was busy and full of people so still felt vibrant, but maintains a sense of peacefulness and serenity. We had lovely food, lovely wine, excellent and knowledgeable service plus I could talk to my friends without straining my voice, Perfect. Maybe this will catch on as a style again with other good DC restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love NorasTexanDined on 11/21/2014Excellent food, wonderful wine, great service. You can't go wrong with Noras for your special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Nora was a HITOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2014We enjoyed dinner with friends on Saturday evening at Restaurant Nora. To say the least, it was a wonderful dining experience, to say the most - it was the best meal we had during our stay in DC. I am not sure if it is the mindful approach Nora takes to food, the graciousness of the server or the quality of the dishes served. We highly recommend Nora's and we will be back each time we visit the DC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gemb70sDined on 11/15/2014This is the second time we have been to Restaurant Nora and this experience was even better than the last. The food and service were both outstanding and I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must go to place in DCMikeDined on 11/13/2014I try my best to eat at Restaurant Nora every time i visit DC. The food is great; the service is wonderful; and the overall experience is one of the best in the district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as last timeCarolineDined on 11/10/2014Our second annual visit, coinciding with a professional meeting in DC, was as pleasing as last year's, though we were disappointed that the kitchen had run out of mussels just before we ordered them. Only caveat: we had forgotten that we didn't much care for their thick pie crust and once again were seduced by the filling to order pie for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nora's is OutstandingLinBVIPDined on 11/8/2014Always a must-visit when in DC, Nora's farm to table high-quality ingredients w superb preparation & presentation are unique & special. The waiter not only knew all ingredients in the hazelnut romesco sauce over my halibut, but how it was prepared. It's attention to all details that makes this one of the best restaurants in the country.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed our visit to Nora. It was our first time there, and we would gladly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired restaurantAllisonTDined on 11/8/2014Sad, disappointing experience. We were seated in the dingy carpeted upstairs extension and had to thrust our coats at the hostess when she was going to leave us at the table with them. Our waiter reluctantly recited the names of two (white) wines by the glass but declined to explain anything about them. Bread was stale and we had to ask twice for butter. Food lacked flavor and seasoning. Neither my entree mushroom risotto nor Spouse's side-dish saffron risotto were risotto: both were cooked arborio rice with vegetables stirred in and sauce ladled on top. Patron dropped a napkin and waiter deliberately stepped over it three times without picking it up. We had to get our own coats from the rack when we left. We will never return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Exceptional food, great combination of very fresh tastes. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable EleganceSeattleiteDined on 11/7/2014I was visiting Washington DC and visited Restaurant Nora after years of arranging dinners here for my employer. At first I was a bit put off by the trip to the separate upper dining area, afraid that it would be the equivalent of eating at the folding card table at a family holiday meal. My apprehension was unwarranted and I was immediately impressed by the ambiance and professional service the staff. The menu is extensive and the options are many--our server was kind and considerate and very thoughtfully answered our questions and gave recommendations in a way that were welcomed and affable. Every dish was outstanding and it was difficult to decide on a favorite.Special Features:
- Outstanding mealIAMFoodieDined on 11/7/2014We went there for my husband's birthday. The wait staff was attentive, service was fast & delivered with smile, and the food, oh my.....if you haven't been there, please go. We both ordered seafood - he swordfish, me lobster - and they were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- TastyjoelDined on 11/5/2014Tasty organic preparations served by knowledgable efficient servers in a quiet pretty dining area in a nice neighborhood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Started off a bit oddly.....said I had booked a table...tried to sell me Nora's book....no reserved a table....went on a bit! I suppose I speak English ( not American). 7 or 8 Austrian wines on list. Unusual and Austrian wines are good. Nora is I think Austrian. Service terrific and informative. Distinctive decor and good atmosphere. Menu excellent and Amish inspired. Meal certainly good but no more. Not rushed out at all. Relaxed evening.Special Features:
- So disappointingdcfoodieDined on 11/1/2014I've had Restaurant Nora on my To Dine At list for a long time, and was excited that to have an occasion to go when my grandparents were visiting. From the moment we sat down, it was clear they were trying to rush us out to get another seating at the table. Our entrees appeared literally 15 minutes after we had ordered them--before our wine had even been poured. It set such a strange tone to the meal and made it really difficult to enjoy the food, which I also wasn't terribly impressed with. For such service to accompany such a pricey meal was very disappointing. I will not be back.Special Features:
- Poor Service Ruins EveningEmmy08Dined on 11/1/2014Noras is one of the few truly organic restaurants in D.C., so major respect for being a trailblazer and spearheading the farm-to-table movement in our nation's capital. However, any hope of truly enjoying this rather pricey dining experience has been ruined, time and time again, by the rude behavior of the dining room staff. The waiters in the dining room are so uninformed, indifferent, and, absent, that I have taken to eating at the bar to avoid them (service at the bar is excellent, which is why the 4 stars for service tonight). Word to the wise, be careful when giving an honest review of service to the General Manager, Jack. He is short-tempered, defensive, and a disgrace to someone in his position.
- Restaurant NoraLoveOrganicDined on 10/29/2014Lovely atmosphere and good food. We were on holiday from the UK and were very pleased to find an organic restaurant. The service was attentive but so rushed - we had three courses but were still out after about an hour which is disappointing when you think you've come for a relaxed evening meal and very different from the practice in Paris where you are at your table for the whole evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edible foodFoodfanDined on 10/27/2014Not bad for an American restaurant. Training waiters to listen and bring the correct drinks order would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nora's near Dupont Circle, DCGrahamaVIPDined on 10/22/2014Is this truly the first organic restaurant in the US? Well, it might be the best! A varied, interesting menu. Good wine. Fine service and a pleasant setting. Despite a bustling dinner crowd, we felt welcomed and personally attended. We will surely visit every time we go to DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and nice ambianceFa700211Dined on 10/20/2014I had been waiting for a while to go to Nora's, and finally went when I made it back to DC. It was awesome. The food was very good, the service attentive without being intrusive, overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestConcertgoerDined on 10/18/2014Best salads and carrot cake we've ever had. Great vegetarian entree. Duck entree had just the right amount of fat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phillynladudeVIPDined on 10/17/2014We live in the area and always wanted to go. We were seated 30 min past our reservation and nothing was done. The server was nice but fidgety. The bread was flavorful but cold and tough. Food was very expensive, under seasoned and very small portions. We never knew who our server was since so many people came to our table. Food was incredibly average. Won't go back.
- Great food and atmosphere...HoocheemamaDined on 10/17/2014Truly a great gem. Let them know on open table that it was our first wedding anniversary and they had special menus on our table saying "Happy First Anniversary" and they wrapped them up with a bow and gave them to us as a keepsake- nice touch. Best duck I've had- not too fatty like duck can be. Beet salad was good but presentation a little sloppy, but that's nitpicking. Oh, and a special appearance by actor Bill Paxton (yeah, random right!) who was seated about 5 feet to my right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & great waiterRobertDined on 10/17/2014Food was delicious and really interesting flavors (We had Peruvian Pork, salmon tartare, Hot Pot and crab and avocado salad). Waiter was very good. He was charming, helpful and informative without intruding and added a lot to the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DC FavoriteNannotesDined on 10/16/2014This long-time DC restaurant noted for its local organic foods never fails. I've loved every meal I've had here and my last visit was no exception. I don't eat carbs and the chef was very happy to switch out the carbs on the dish I ordered for an extra green vegetable, something not all great chefs will do. This one specializes in making customers happy. Try the scallops - they were perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- Lacking FlavorbusinessdinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014Unfortunately we all walked away saying Restaurant Nora is not worth repeating.Special Features:
- slow serviceSMINLADined on 10/14/2014Nora is one of my favourite's in Washington, and I have never previously found fault with the food or service. The wait staff were certainly polite, but I would have to say inattentive. The wine was not quite at the right temperature -- a little too warm for a gruner veltliner. No bread was brought to our table, but we did notice others enjoying it, so we asked (because it took them a LONG time to bring our food). Had to ask 3 times and noticed another table getting bread refills after our first request while we were still waiting for bread. It finally came, but was dry (probably sitting out pre-cut for a while?). The main dish was great, but a little cold, piping hot would have been nice. Papadum a little uncooked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy neighborhood gem1MaryBethVIPDined on 10/13/2014We were told by local DC friends that this was the upcoming best place to eat in the area. Everything is organic, even the wine. Medium sized menu with lots of choices and variety and nice wine list as well. We really enjoyed the cozy surroundings and great service, however the food was just good to average for us.Special Features:
- A cafeteria more than a restaurantPECoreDined on 10/11/2014Expensive, noisy and packed this place offers food that has nothing exciting. Average quality. Nothing really tempting in your plate. Very disapointing.
- Always fantasticBrianaDined on 10/11/2014Another Birthday, another fantastic event. Restaurant Nora never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGoodfoodeaterDined on 10/11/2014Fantastic food, great service, very accomodating staff. A bit on the expensive side but well worth it.Special Features:
- Sorry to sayOnthetownDined on 10/9/2014Nora didn't live up to our expectations. Having heard so much about it, we were expecting a phenomenal experience, but it turned out to be fairly ordinary. It took four attempts for the hostess to finally recognize our reservation. The waiter was polite, but stiff and didn't offer any details about the menu items. My friend had the fish which she deemed delicious--I had the curry chicken which while tasty, was no better than one would get at a good Indian restaurant While the interior is charming with vintage quilts hung on beautiful brick walls, the lack of warmth and friendliness from the employees detracts from the dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Treat As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/7/2014Going back decades, Nora's restaurant was a favorite for special occasions of our family and the Clintons. However, the food, ambiance and service which was always great, has managed to get better and better over the years with home grown organic food, a special quiet room (request it if you don't like the noisier big rooms) and Nora's very own quilt collection of fabulous quilts hanging on the wall making the restaurant colorful, cosy yet elegant!Special Features:
- DisappointedEdwinDined on 10/4/2014I had heard great things about Nora's but it was disappointing when I went there. I had the duck and it was extremely tough, and the accompanying yam and bok choy were nothing special. My friend had the steak and was similarly underwhelmed. Certainly did not live up to the price tag. The worst part was the ambience - we were in the back room and it was completely silent. It was one of the most awkwaes dining experiences I have had. On the plus side - service was very good and wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- This is simple food, well made.WellFedTravelerDined on 10/4/2014I liked the food -- very good ingredients, simply prepared. But there is a complete lack of 'chef-iness.' Now, to some this may be a plus. But when you're spending a hundred + dollars a head (wine and tip included), you expect some eclat. Simply put, everything I had I could cook myself at home.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good...not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Four of us dined at Nora the other night and enjoyed the experience. We had a very nice table in the upstairs "annex" and our server was very nice and helpful. The wine I ordered was a bit overpriced and the food was good but not as good as I was anticipating. Overall, the experience was good, but just a bit disappointing. I'd still recommend it...just be more careful with the ordering. The pie was very good by the way.Special Features:
- What a disappointment!DouglasVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was a big disappointment. The pork chop was extra tough - the worst I have ever experienced. The halibut was dry but peppers with it were very good. Steak was average, nothing special. The squash was tasty and sweet.The service was just fair - as an example, we had to ask twice for bread, then had to ask for butter. The red wine list is somewhat esoteric and limited. We had wanted to go to this restaurant for a long time and had very positive expectations. We were very disappointed, especially at such prices.