2132 Florida Ave., N.W
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.noras.com/
- Phone: 2024625143
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nora Pouillon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant Nora
In April 1999, Restaurant Nora became America's first certified organic restaurant. This means that 95% or more of everything that you eat at the restaurant has been produced by certified organic growers and farmers all who share in Nora's commitment to sustainable agriculture. Nora always offers seasonal, fresh organic food, prepared in a healthy, balanced way and enjoys a "big following" of environmentalists and politicians, who can eat here with a clear conscience, knowing that what's on their plate hasn't polluted the environment, is healthy for them, and tastes good too. Nora offers a special chef's tasting menu, which is perfectly accompanied by a spectacular choice of wines from our award winning wine list, featuring over 100 exceptional wines from small wine producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Nora reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (147)fit for foodies (146)romantic (105)neighborhood gem (84)notable wine list (72)good for groups (21)hot spot (12)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Consistently WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Every time we visit DC from Boston, we dine at Nora's for it is consistently wonderful for its charming ambiance and friendly atmosphere in a small neighborhood setting. The food is wonderful organic and farm to table dishes, with never a disappointing meal. The staff is professional and friendly, setting the tone for a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014I found this place online when trying to figure out a nice place to go for dinner while visiting Washington. This was the perfect choice. It's in a great neighbourhood that's vibrant and visually appealing. The food was amazing and I was quite pleased with the fried green tomato salad. I will for sure be visiting Restaurant Nora again when I come back to visit Washington.Special Features:
- fishlessDined on 9/26/2014The restaurant rose to the occasion - 45th wedding anniversary - by printing a personalized menus and providing us with a quiet place away from the main restaurant. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceKathyDined on 9/25/2014We are from out of town and wanted a quiet off the beaten track eatery. We eat very healthfully and wanted some creative fish and veggies. The food was outstanding and the staff was attentive and friendly. Our only complaint was the fast speed at which the food was delivered, especially for a pricey restaurant. Once mentioned, our server slowed the pace. Overall we were delighted and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good service from the waiter.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014The waiter was not attentive at all! She never asked us if it was our first time at Nora, nor did she take the time to explain some of the main dishes. As we were going over the menu, she was not ready to guide us through it, she would rather indicate that if we were not ready she would come back later while we make our decision. Not very satisfy with her service. The food was good, but not terrific for the price.
- Gem for a special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014We love Nora's -- the food is the best in the city, and the service is always great. It is our pick for anniversary celebrations!Special Features:
- Amazing food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014The dining experience at Nora was simply great. We got there 45 minutes before our reservation, and were seated right away! The small plates that we chose, as well as the entrees were vibrant and fresh; the portions were perfect size, and every bite was delicious. We could not decide whether or not to get the mushroom risotto, and our server brought us a half portion to taste. It was delicious and her suggestion was much appreciated. We did not have room for dessert, but I ca only imagine what the desserts must be like! The freshness of the ingredients (especially the vegetables and fruit) was evident throughout the meal. I left thoroughly satisfied, and the next time I am in DC, will make it back to Nora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to return to.ExnewyorkerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Lovely atmosphere with quilts covering the wall; lighting attractive and noise level subdued. Waiter a delight: friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. Food comes with interesting combinations of ingredients and inventive preparation. Wine list reasonable and varied. Unpretentious yet elegant.Special Features:
- Always great!chat3Dined on 9/20/2014I hadn't dined at Nora's in years but was pleasantly surprised to find that it still is one of the top restaurants in the city. Food was creative and excellent with portions just the right size. Service was helpful, not over-bearing, and perfectly timed. I highly recommend a visit to Nora's, a special place in the DC restaurant scene.Special Features:
- Organically beautiful!AbqdinerDined on 9/20/2014Setting the bar high for foodies everywhere, Nora pays delicate attention to each and every ingredient. Much appreciated, excellent flavors and great choices. The best pastry crust I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealSLGDCDined on 9/19/2014Our second time at Nora, and it was lovely. I had the scallops and started with the goat cheese and fennel tart, which was wonderful. I shared half of it, because though it is small, it was very rich! The scallops with Saffron risotto were delicious. Perfectly cooked, balanced, I ate every bite. Three of our companions had the salmon, which all agreed should not have been cooked through, as it was dry. The Caesar salad was delicious, and the Apple Blueberry pie with ice cream was amazing. Great night! The service was great, and it's always beautiful there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceewhdinerDined on 9/17/2014I was really looking forward to dining at Restaurant Nora and had heard many great things. I wasn't particularly blown away by the service or the food, but was still pleased...until the end. A gentleman came over to clear our plates and I had a little bit of food left that I couldn't finish. He simply stared at me, then at the plate, then back at me, with this horrible look on his face. I told him I was finished and he rudely said "was there something wrong?" I told him no, that the meal was great I was just full. He then kept looking at me as if I had horribly offended him until my boyfriend said we could take it to go. The man cleared our plates and never came back with the to-go bag so we paid and left. It was very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- 1st time will be back.reallyenjoy2eatDined on 9/15/2014Our first time to restaurant, I was referred to by foodies and lived up to expectations.
- Gourmet OrganicGourmet0rganicDined on 9/13/2014Amazing tastes and flavors. Every veggie every herb has so much flavor. Great service.. impeccable service. They don't leave any stone unturned to make your night special. GREAT FOOD... did I say that? and a wonderful history/story behind the restaurant and the chef Nora.Special Features:
- DCneighborDined on 9/12/2014We were hoping for a special dinner. Nora fully satisfied our appetites and then some.... From the souvenir menu with "Happy Birthday" to the welcoming staff, it was a delightful evening for the delicate flavors of the tasting menu and the acoustics conducive to good conversation with interesting friends. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDaveyDined on 9/11/2014Nora is a wonderful restaurant. Fresh organic food with delightful presentations. Have been there many times. My favorite when I visit DC.Special Features:
- Excelente!!!landiaDined on 9/10/2014I really nice and wonderful dinner, with perfect service and delicious food plus is organic. Simple and perfectSpecial Features:
- Best Meal in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Restaurant Nora's is a must for any foodie that visit's DC. It was by far the best food I've eaten in DC and the dedication given to local organic food is almost unmatched to any restaurant I've ever been to. The service was great and very friendly. Can't say enough good things about Nora's.Special Features:
- Goorganic60Dined on 9/8/2014The food at Nora is creatively presented and focused on using local and organic items. It was tasty but quite expensive for what you get. A small piece of fish with two side dishes will run $35-40, and a salad is $15. The Caesar was excellent though.Special Features:
- Good, but not what it once wasDCGunnerDined on 9/6/2014First time back at Nora in 7 or 8 years. We had to ask twice for a better table, and did not get very attentive service after we moved. Food was generally good, especially the black cod and desserts. Concise wine list, but waiter did not seem to know them well.Special Features:
- Excellent foodknifeforkDined on 9/6/2014While the food here is not cutting edge molecular gastronomy, it is an outstanding restaurant. The food quality and preparation is excellent, as is the service and ambiance. Don't go here to find the latest gastronomic trend, or a wildly loud high vibe restaurant, because you won't find that at all. If you are interested in having excellent food and wine while conversing quietly with your companions, come here. These kinds of quiet restaurants where the emphasis is on service and sharing good food are getting harder to find but this is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014The food was out of this world. We did the tasting menu, which is such a great deal with amazing choices. I can't wait to visit again!Special Features:
- Always good food and serviceGroovySisterVIPDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I have been to this restaurant 2-3 times and the food and the service is always outstanding. This time I was a bit disappointed in the wine list and the scarcity of wine by the glass. It turned out I didn't like the bottle we ordered. The others did so I wanted to get a glass of something else and I only had 1 choice of white, 1 choice of champagne and 2 choices of red. I got the tasting menu which was fabulous and the ingredients they so carefully choose really do make a difference in the taste. For those new to the place, it is small, so I would not recommend for groups bigger than 4 and in any scenario you are going to be close to your neighbors.Special Features:
- DavidDined on 9/5/2014I was very excited to try Restaurant Nora's. As a long time DC resident Nora's is definitely a restaurant much talked about, and held in high regards. That said, I was a bit disappointed. The amibiance of the garden room is wonderful. The specialty drinks the night I went were fun and whimisical. The small plates/cold plates I had to start were fabulous, and set up the evening to be an amazing night of wonderful food. That said, the entrees simply were not good. My food was over cooked, and looked bland and lifeless on the plate. One of my fellow diners wondered if the food had been made ahead of time, and left under a heat lamp until someone ordered that dish. I will give Nora's a second chance as I love the ambiance and small plates.Special Features:
- Nora'sAnnaDined on 9/4/2014Upscale , fun and lively restaurant with unique food choices. Great gin menu.. Excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Organic -so what? Plain exceptionallisaDined on 9/4/2014Nora is known for using only organic ingredients - which was an attraction for us, and is a plus = but that's not the main attraction if we go back - it's an exceptional restaurant. We're vegetarians and there wasn't a large selection on the menu - between two of us (and we always share everything) we pretty much ordered every vegetarian item with just two appetizers a salad and two entrees. Everything was wonderful - service, presentation, balance of flavors ~ spendy but worth it - we'll be backSpecial Features:
- Good foodie organic choiceVafoodlvrDined on 9/4/2014Pleasant restaurant with good food and a good range of choices on the menu. It emphasizes organic food and strives to be very sustainable, but the food is a cut above most restaurants of this type. Recommended. A bit pricey, but in line with the area for the quality.Special Features:
- great night out!16coopDined on 9/4/2014We had a wonderful night with out of town friends. Never rushed to order or to leave (we were there a long time!). Food was wonderful: vegetable cheese tart, beet salad,scallops,molten cake, peach tart, to name a few! Had not been in long time and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CJNNDDined on 8/19/2014I was treated like a queen on my 60th birthday. The plum crisp dessert was spectacular! Thanks for making it such a wonderful memorable evening!Special Features:
- Amazing! A perfect night out in DC.RmsingDined on 8/16/2014Nora's does farm to table right. Enjoyed everything about this place! 💖Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not much on the vegetarian sideStacyVIPDined on 8/16/2014The vegetarian options were limited and just so so. The atmosphere beautiful and drinks very potent!Special Features:
- Felt a Bit ScrewedCMMYAKMANDined on 8/16/2014We took one item from the 3 Course Retro Menu and got charged as if we ordered the whole thing. We pointed this out to the waiter before he took our credit card, but he said we were wrong and the tally was correct. I'm looking at the menu online now and its pretty clear that Restaurant Nora was incorrect and took more money than they should have taken. Other than that; the meal, wine and atmosphere were fine - but the thought of the meal costing more money than it should left a bad after taste as we progressed into the evening.Special Features:
- Just okMDfoodie1VIPDined on 8/13/2014Nothing remarkable here. Some standards. Crabmeat with avocado. It's good but not a revalation. Burrata and tomato - same. Monkfish was good. Caesar salad was excellen. Waiter was salesperson'ish but was left to go home after taking the meal order. Rest of dinner was handled by bus staff (another drink, dessert, coffee). Quite strange
- Soft shell crabs were fabulous!BistroDinerDined on 8/13/2014Absolutely splendid crabs and elegant wine list.Great that all is organic. Dining room a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First classJohnDined on 8/13/2014Definitely not the cheapest place in town, but it's a wonderful restaurant if you don't mind spending a little more to have a really great dinner with impeccable service and a terrific atmosphere.Special Features:
- An all-time favoriteWeeZeeDined on 8/9/2014This was my second visit to Nora's and both times, I've had spectacular food--creative recipes, fresh ingredients-- plus great wine and attentive service, all in an attractive, relaxed setting. I don't live in DC, but will be sure to make another stop there next time I visit. It would be too pricey for me on an everyday basis, but for a special occasion when I wanted both celebrate and to treat people from abroad to something unique, I couldn't have done better. All in all, a superb dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Night Out.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014My wife and I were in DC for our fifth wedding anniversary and we decided to try Restaurant Nora because we are both into the organic/sustainable food scene. We were not disappointed at all. Food was great, service was excellent, and the atmosphere was just right for our anniversary. My only complaint is that the service was too good. We were in-and-out in about 90 minutes, which was a bit fast when you have ordered a bottle of wine and dessert. Perhaps working on timing a bit would help out. It wasn't even that crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner and a few suggestionsBallet007VIPDined on 8/8/2014Lovely dinner for three. Beautiful presentation. Salads were fresh and nicely dressed. Fennel vichyssoise looked more like a thin puree spinach soup (though without spinach) and the taste was undistinguished. I had hoped for a thick white vichyssoise, so that was a bit of a disappointment to those of us who love the traditional potato leek variety. The leg of lamb was delicious. The strawberry peach pie had a buttery crust and was wonderful. Soft shell crabs are always a favorite though less deep fried batter and more simply sauteed would have allowed more flavor of the crabs to be tasted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/6/2014Good food. Very fresh vegetables. $35 three course menu is a great option. The service is efficient and attentive but could benefit from some personal warmth. Some minor disappointments such as the table olive oil was not fresh, the oil used to prepare my chicken schnitzel tasted old although the dish was very well prepared. Also, several of the diners near us were very loud and their conversation kept interfering with our conversation. All in all, a very fine restaurant with excellent food that needs to pay more attention to detail if they aspire to greatness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoraDined on 8/6/2014Amazing, fresh, creative! Fantastic service by true professional staff with a passion for foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.