2132 Florida Ave., N.W
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.noras.com/
- Phone: (202) 462-5143
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nora Pouillon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant Nora
In April 1999, Restaurant Nora became America's first certified organic restaurant. This means that 95% or more of everything that you eat at the restaurant has been produced by certified organic growers and farmers all who share in Nora's commitment to sustainable agriculture. Nora always offers seasonal, fresh organic food, prepared in a healthy, balanced way and enjoys a "big following" of environmentalists and politicians, who can eat here with a clear conscience, knowing that what's on their plate hasn't polluted the environment, is healthy for them, and tastes good too. Nora offers a special chef's tasting menu, which is perfectly accompanied by a spectacular choice of wines from our award winning wine list, featuring over 100 exceptional wines from small wine producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Nora reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)special occasion (144)romantic (105)neighborhood gem (91)notable wine list (72)good for groups (31)hot spot (10)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- An all-time favoriteWeeZeeDined on 8/9/2014This was my second visit to Nora's and both times, I've had spectacular food--creative recipes, fresh ingredients-- plus great wine and attentive service, all in an attractive, relaxed setting. I don't live in DC, but will be sure to make another stop there next time I visit. It would be too pricey for me on an everyday basis, but for a special occasion when I wanted both celebrate and to treat people from abroad to something unique, I couldn't have done better. All in all, a superb dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Night Out.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014My wife and I were in DC for our fifth wedding anniversary and we decided to try Restaurant Nora because we are both into the organic/sustainable food scene. We were not disappointed at all. Food was great, service was excellent, and the atmosphere was just right for our anniversary. My only complaint is that the service was too good. We were in-and-out in about 90 minutes, which was a bit fast when you have ordered a bottle of wine and dessert. Perhaps working on timing a bit would help out. It wasn't even that crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner and a few suggestionsBallet007VIPDined on 8/8/2014Lovely dinner for three. Beautiful presentation. Salads were fresh and nicely dressed. Fennel vichyssoise looked more like a thin puree spinach soup (though without spinach) and the taste was undistinguished. I had hoped for a thick white vichyssoise, so that was a bit of a disappointment to those of us who love the traditional potato leek variety. The leg of lamb was delicious. The strawberry peach pie had a buttery crust and was wonderful. Soft shell crabs are always a favorite though less deep fried batter and more simply sauteed would have allowed more flavor of the crabs to be tasted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/6/2014Good food. Very fresh vegetables. $35 three course menu is a great option. The service is efficient and attentive but could benefit from some personal warmth. Some minor disappointments such as the table olive oil was not fresh, the oil used to prepare my chicken schnitzel tasted old although the dish was very well prepared. Also, several of the diners near us were very loud and their conversation kept interfering with our conversation. All in all, a very fine restaurant with excellent food that needs to pay more attention to detail if they aspire to greatness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoraDined on 8/6/2014Amazing, fresh, creative! Fantastic service by true professional staff with a passion for foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, responsible ingredientsHolterDined on 8/5/2014Consistently impressed with Nora's commitment to organic food and lifestyles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceCLaneDined on 8/2/2014From the attentive service to the delightful food, I will absolutely be frequenting Restaurant Nora again. Tom, our server, made spot-on recommendations and made the experience that much better.Special Features:
- Overall positivenochains4usDined on 8/1/2014Overall a very good experience. We hit Nora's for the organic, locally sourced offerings and found the use of fresh herbs and quality ingredients came through in the food offerings. The quality of the grass-fed meats were excellent. Our server lacked a little personality and the ability to interact with us a bit better . . .otherwise would have been an excellent review.Special Features:
- special eveningganzadelahoyaDined on 7/31/2014My family was celebrating multiple holidays and while I didn't ask for anything special, they printed happy birthday on the menu, put a candle in dessert (no singing though, thank goodness) and just all around made us feel like we were the only ones there all night. Valet is convenient and inexpensive, gin & tonic menu (one of each please!), and the food was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance; food was superb.KwekuDined on 7/30/2014The decor at Nora is fabulous; the framed quilts are unique. The plant-based food offerings were well received by the vegans I. Our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, well-crafted foodGracie615Dined on 7/29/2014The food was pricy but wholesome and well-crafted. Restaurant Nora doesn't charge for hyped-up bells and whistles -- the restaurant's décor (and the presentation of the food) was earnest and thoughtful. The service was lovely as well. Well worth the cost for a special occasion.Special Features:
- EnchantingHappySoloDinerDined on 7/28/2014Friendly staff who seem to know exactly what a person needs. I couldn't have asked for a better solo dining experience! Lovely, lovely, lovely. Thank you!Special Features:
- Excellent Service!DC1968VIPDined on 7/26/2014Restaurant Nora lived up to its reputation for great food and exceptional service. We sat in the Garden Room and our server Brian was very attentive. There isn't a bad item on the menu.Special Features:
- The following 2365 reviews are from the Restaurant Nora reviews archive.
- What a wonderful dining experienceLuvtodineDined on 7/25/2014We felt welcome from the moment we stepped inside the restaurant, and dinner was superb !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine, not greatTheBruVIPDined on 7/25/2014Our group of 7 enjoyed each other's company - the food was fine - but nothing special. One diner was served a lukewarm tofu curry. Hard to get waiters attention.
- Good dinnerFedeIUGADined on 7/24/2014I coming from Italy and was in washington DC for a congress, went to Nora because of its organic cuisine. We were in six: shared appetizers then I had a ribeye and a sorbet. Everybody was satisfied and everything served with courtesy. Don't know when I will ever come back do DC but I think I won't miss Nora.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not what we orderedTastyDined on 7/24/2014We enjoyed all our dishes, although quite a few substitutions were made and we weren't informed. If ingredients are listed on the menu and aren't available, it seems natural it would be explained and the substitutions mentioned upon ordering. One chicken dish was a little disappointing in that it contained only two small pieces of chicken. The fish we got was out of this world and brings the food up a whole star. I would go again, but probably not for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in (too) cool settingAkimonVIPDined on 7/24/2014The quality of food and the composition of dishes was outstanding, as usual, and the service was great. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about the dishes & excellent wine list. What threw me off was spiciness of some dishes where I did not expect it - my vegetable soup was like liquid lava, for example, and rather generous/excessive layer of salt over some of the vegetable sides. Also, the dining room where we were sitting was extremely cold, to the point where it was beginning to interfere with my enjoyment of the meal. Other than that, this was well worth the visit; there is no other restaurant in DC which puts so much emphasis on local, organic and sustainable food choices and manages to maintain such high level of quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingmedrenDined on 7/24/2014Small plates: The beet salad arrived with no feta and with a sauce that was too heavy and sweet. The burrata was excellent, but the tomatoes around it were average, and the dressing, again, was nothing special. The mussels had a delicious broth, but the mussels themselves were small and dray and tasteless. The bread that you can request is also mediocre. Large plate: The duck was excellent, by far the best thing we had, but the risotto under it was just so-so. Dessert: The chocolate cake is small and dense and not-too-sweet; the fruit in the berry crumble was too runny and goey, with a topping that seemed like simple granola. Overall, a nice meal but the food should be better given Nora's reputation and pricing.Special Features:
- Under our expectationslsrp29Dined on 7/23/2014The food wasn't great. I ordered a tart with goat cheese that was very simple. It looked like something that I could improvise at home because the flavors and the execution were pretty basic. The worst thing was the salad. It only had three dates, not enough, considering that the dates were the only thing that gave flavor to the salad.Special Features:
- Delicious organic/fresh foodynadalDined on 7/19/2014Everything about the plates we ordered tasted so fresh that we wanted to keep on eating. The service was excellent, the atmosphere perfect and the food was just delicious. We will definitely return to order the tasting menu which looked tempting. The dessert was the tiramisu, sooo good, a must when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and DeliciousVAFoodiesDined on 7/19/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our romantic evening at Restaurant Nora. Have been wanting to dine here for a while after it was highly recommended by a foodie friend. It did not disappoint. We opted for the Tasting Menu - 4 courses all of which were delicious. Between us we were able to sample eight different items. We were given the option of ordering dessert from any of the many wonderful choices. Food was delicious, innovative, and not overly seasoned (a common complaint of mine). The lavender ice cream was truly special. You can tell a lot about a restaurant by the quality of their bread - the whole wheat sourdough was excellent. Wine by the half bottle a nice option. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Food Good Service Needs ImprovementJLS46VIPDined on 7/19/2014For special occasions at a place like Nora, one expects excellent service to accompany excellent food. While the food quality remains high and the drinks were also excellent, the service was well below expectations during our most recent visit. The server seemed ignorant about the menu contents, unable to answer simple questions about the food or provide suggestions. The main course took a long time to arrive, and then we were essentially forgotten once we wanted the check. Nora is one of my favorite restaurants in the city, and I will try it again. But service like that at a place like Nora is a real shame.Special Features:
- Excellent!Gourmand18VIPDined on 7/17/2014Every appetizer and entree we tried were very delicately cooked and tasted so good. Particularly, the basil pesto fettucine and the rabbit risotto were my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A birthday to remember!PleasedVIPDined on 7/17/2014So pleased with the service and accommodations for pregnant wife on her birthday. Out party of four thoroughly enjoyed every course and the delicious cocktails. Thank you for maintaining your jight standards for food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I went to Nora for a private dinner with my wife and hopes were high - taking into account recommendations and reviews. We had a nice evening and especially liked our gin tonics and the wine, and a rather pleasantly relaxed environment in the restaurant. We ordered the retro menu and thought we were on safe grounds with the main dish. However, the rabbit was extremely salty and we should have had made the restaurant aware of that. We were so consumed by each other and the discussion. My dessert was dry (type of sponge cake) and I ate only the berries. If I will go again to Nora's? It depends on the company. If yes, I will be more selective in the choice of menu.Special Features:
- DisappointedneighborVIPDined on 7/16/2014We've been here many times over the years, and this is the first time we haven't loved the food. For this visit, we went for the "retro" aniversary prix fixe dinner. The rabbit was oversalted and dry, and the country pate was pretty tasteless. The wines were in general overpriced and there was a very limited selection in wines by the glass. I would still come back, considering this visit to be an aberation.Special Features:
- Very good, but nothing outstandingfaceVIPDined on 7/12/2014Dinner itself was really good--we did the chef's tasting menu. Everything was very high quality and super fresh (as expected). That said, nothing was great or supremely interesting. Kind of took very fresh ingredients and then used them to make more traditional dishes. The food and atmosphere were both very good, but I'm not sure I would go again, especially at the price point.Special Features:
- McgreleVIPDined on 7/12/2014The entire evening was great. Because this was a special celebration, our menus had been written to commemorate that event.Special Features:
- ffxdinerVIPDined on 7/12/20144 of us had a wonderful dinner here on a Saturday night. We esp. like the idea of having organic food. We were seated in the library room which was marvelous with its quilts on the wall. Our waiter was excellent answering all of our questions & recommended a red wine to us. Food wise all of us were very, very pleased with our meals. I had the beet salad, the halibut & the peach blueberry crisp. The menu does change due to their using what is fresh and I'd love to go back again.Special Features:
- Special Touches at Every TurncarolinefcoloradoDined on 7/11/2014What a special memorable evening. We chose Restaurant Nora for our daughter's birthday and we are so happy we did. We mentioned in a note on the reservation that it was Joely's 24th birthday. They had a special message printed at the top of our menu wishing her a happy birthday which was also a very nice touch. To our surprise, they accommodated the wishes of a friend of our daughter's who called ahead requesting a bottle of champagne on the table. The food was delicious and the wine selection was fabulous at a very reasonable price. at Nora's the attention to detail including every ingredient on the menu and the filtered water made every dish delicious. we especially enjoyed the heirloom tomato salad and the lamb.Special Features:
- Consistent ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2014Jack and staff continue to hold high standards for this wonderful neighborhood restaurant! We have been coming back for years, and the food and service only gets better. In a time where trendy restaurants flame and burn out, Nora proves that exceptional food and service is timeless.Special Features:
- No longer a prime dining experienceDCStreetGourmetDined on 7/11/2014Nora used to be a favorite restaurant to take business partners or visitors from Europe - due to the great quality of the food, the outstanding service and the relaxing atmosphere. This visit was a disappointment and the quality and service did not justify the very high price of the meal: The menu was an international hodgepodge (everything from Moroccan chicken to Asian-style noodles). The peeky-toe crab cake as well as the veal ossobuco had no flavor, the molten chocolate cake was neither molten nor hot inside. The waiter was hectic and forgot half of our order. The whole atmosphere was hectic as well. There was at least one highlight: The wine list was still excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious & very accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014They took time prior to opening to help me set up a special birthday surprise dinner and had a lot of great ideas! The food was fantastic as always!Special Features:
- Excellent food but....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/10/2014Excellent food. Very good service from Daniel although he assumed we did not want an entree course and cleared the table. The non- attentive attitude of the maître d' was disconcerting. He never greeted us I think because we were not dressed appropriately ( I did not have a coat and tie on this trip) but he did great those who were dressed and not the others who were not. He did come to our table to move the wine glasses out of the way without sting a word to us which were needed later when I ordered wine. Also we had walked the five blocks from our hotel in a thunderstorm and were dripping wet even with umbrellas and nothing was offered to encourage or help dry off. We felt as though the table was needed for other more appropriate guestsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and average foodChiaramarteDined on 7/8/2014The restaurant is very nice, but extremely noisy. There are too many tables in the main dining room. Food is average... I had 3 different courses and none of them surprised me! Wine at the glass... Only one choice available for the white wines. Pretty disappointing!
- Special NightJamaalDined on 7/8/2014The food was great and the service was exceptional! We were there celebrating my wife's 40th birthday.Special Features:
- Definitely returning soon!BunnyDined on 7/8/2014My first time at Nora's was well beyond expectations! Outstanding food, exceptional service, wonderful setting! I will be sure to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasantJeffVIPDined on 7/5/2014Nora's is reliably pleasant, calming, warm. Food is well thought out, prepared, and presented. Service was efficient but not overbearing. Halibut entrée portion was a bit small. Would prefer if they permitted corkage (they don't because their list is organic). But still a very nice evening out.Special Features:
- DisappointingfoodfansVIPDined on 7/5/2014We ordered the four course tasting menu and each ordered a different item from each course. The first and second courses were very good to outstanding as was the dessert. The entrees were properly prepared but without any real taste. They were just extremely bland. This is the second time in a row that the entrees were by far the least interesting part of the meal. We are long time fans of Nora's and of late have been wondering what is happening in the kitchen.Special Features: