2132 Florida Ave., N.W
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.noras.com/
- Phone: 2024625143
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nora Pouillon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant Nora
In April 1999, Restaurant Nora became America's first certified organic restaurant. This means that 95% or more of everything that you eat at the restaurant has been produced by certified organic growers and farmers all who share in Nora's commitment to sustainable agriculture. Nora always offers seasonal, fresh organic food, prepared in a healthy, balanced way and enjoys a "big following" of environmentalists and politicians, who can eat here with a clear conscience, knowing that what's on their plate hasn't polluted the environment, is healthy for them, and tastes good too. Nora offers a special chef's tasting menu, which is perfectly accompanied by a spectacular choice of wines from our award winning wine list, featuring over 100 exceptional wines from small wine producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Nora reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (160)fit for foodies (155)romantic (113)neighborhood gem (92)notable wine list (82)good for groups (25)hot spot (12)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent food and nice ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014I had been waiting for a while to go to Nora's, and finally went when I made it back to DC. It was awesome. The food was very good, the service attentive without being intrusive, overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestConcertgoerDined on 10/18/2014Best salads and carrot cake we've ever had. Great vegetarian entree. Duck entree had just the right amount of fat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phillynladudeVIPDined on 10/17/2014We live in the area and always wanted to go. We were seated 30 min past our reservation and nothing was done. The server was nice but fidgety. The bread was flavorful but cold and tough. Food was very expensive, under seasoned and very small portions. We never knew who our server was since so many people came to our table. Food was incredibly average. Won't go back.
- Great food and atmosphere...HoocheemamaDined on 10/17/2014Truly a great gem. Let them know on open table that it was our first wedding anniversary and they had special menus on our table saying "Happy First Anniversary" and they wrapped them up with a bow and gave them to us as a keepsake- nice touch. Best duck I've had- not too fatty like duck can be. Beet salad was good but presentation a little sloppy, but that's nitpicking. Oh, and a special appearance by actor Bill Paxton (yeah, random right!) who was seated about 5 feet to my right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & great waiterRobertDined on 10/17/2014Food was delicious and really interesting flavors (We had Peruvian Pork, salmon tartare, Hot Pot and crab and avocado salad). Waiter was very good. He was charming, helpful and informative without intruding and added a lot to the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DC FavoriteNannotesDined on 10/16/2014This long-time DC restaurant noted for its local organic foods never fails. I've loved every meal I've had here and my last visit was no exception. I don't eat carbs and the chef was very happy to switch out the carbs on the dish I ordered for an extra green vegetable, something not all great chefs will do. This one specializes in making customers happy. Try the scallops - they were perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- Lacking FlavorbusinessdinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014Unfortunately we all walked away saying Restaurant Nora is not worth repeating.Special Features:
- slow serviceSMINLADined on 10/14/2014Nora is one of my favourite's in Washington, and I have never previously found fault with the food or service. The wait staff were certainly polite, but I would have to say inattentive. The wine was not quite at the right temperature -- a little too warm for a gruner veltliner. No bread was brought to our table, but we did notice others enjoying it, so we asked (because it took them a LONG time to bring our food). Had to ask 3 times and noticed another table getting bread refills after our first request while we were still waiting for bread. It finally came, but was dry (probably sitting out pre-cut for a while?). The main dish was great, but a little cold, piping hot would have been nice. Papadum a little uncooked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy neighborhood gem1MaryBethVIPDined on 10/13/2014We were told by local DC friends that this was the upcoming best place to eat in the area. Everything is organic, even the wine. Medium sized menu with lots of choices and variety and nice wine list as well. We really enjoyed the cozy surroundings and great service, however the food was just good to average for us.Special Features:
- A cafeteria more than a restaurantPECoreDined on 10/11/2014Expensive, noisy and packed this place offers food that has nothing exciting. Average quality. Nothing really tempting in your plate. Very disapointing.
- Always fantasticBrianaDined on 10/11/2014Another Birthday, another fantastic event. Restaurant Nora never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGoodfoodeaterDined on 10/11/2014Fantastic food, great service, very accomodating staff. A bit on the expensive side but well worth it.Special Features:
- Sorry to sayOnthetownDined on 10/9/2014Nora didn't live up to our expectations. Having heard so much about it, we were expecting a phenomenal experience, but it turned out to be fairly ordinary. It took four attempts for the hostess to finally recognize our reservation. The waiter was polite, but stiff and didn't offer any details about the menu items. My friend had the fish which she deemed delicious--I had the curry chicken which while tasty, was no better than one would get at a good Indian restaurant While the interior is charming with vintage quilts hung on beautiful brick walls, the lack of warmth and friendliness from the employees detracts from the dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Treat As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2014Going back decades, Nora's restaurant was a favorite for special occasions of our family and the Clintons. However, the food, ambiance and service which was always great, has managed to get better and better over the years with home grown organic food, a special quiet room (request it if you don't like the noisier big rooms) and Nora's very own quilt collection of fabulous quilts hanging on the wall making the restaurant colorful, cosy yet elegant!Special Features:
- DisappointedEdwinDined on 10/4/2014I had heard great things about Nora's but it was disappointing when I went there. I had the duck and it was extremely tough, and the accompanying yam and bok choy were nothing special. My friend had the steak and was similarly underwhelmed. Certainly did not live up to the price tag. The worst part was the ambience - we were in the back room and it was completely silent. It was one of the most awkwaes dining experiences I have had. On the plus side - service was very good and wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- This is simple food, well made.WellFedTravelerDined on 10/4/2014I liked the food -- very good ingredients, simply prepared. But there is a complete lack of 'chef-iness.' Now, to some this may be a plus. But when you're spending a hundred + dollars a head (wine and tip included), you expect some eclat. Simply put, everything I had I could cook myself at home.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good...not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Four of us dined at Nora the other night and enjoyed the experience. We had a very nice table in the upstairs "annex" and our server was very nice and helpful. The wine I ordered was a bit overpriced and the food was good but not as good as I was anticipating. Overall, the experience was good, but just a bit disappointing. I'd still recommend it...just be more careful with the ordering. The pie was very good by the way.Special Features:
- What a disappointment!DouglasVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was a big disappointment. The pork chop was extra tough - the worst I have ever experienced. The halibut was dry but peppers with it were very good. Steak was average, nothing special. The squash was tasty and sweet.The service was just fair - as an example, we had to ask twice for bread, then had to ask for butter. The red wine list is somewhat esoteric and limited. We had wanted to go to this restaurant for a long time and had very positive expectations. We were very disappointed, especially at such prices.
- Friday evening dinnerfrog2dineDined on 10/3/2014Once again Nora was a good choice. the upper dining room is a bit noisy, and the soft shell crabs were only good, not great. But the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Handsome setting. Perfect placehappyDined on 10/3/2014If you want to have a relaxed meal in a warm setting, this is the place to sit back and let the staff take the wheel. They all know what they're doing, and they execute well, right down to the crew at the door that gracefully offered to let us walk away with an umbrella as we left on a rainy night.Special Features:
- Good, but not spectacularWhittakerDined on 10/2/2014we came here for our anniversary dinner but the tables were so close together that we coudn't really have a private conversation. The food is good but it doesn't blend well with all the other items on the plate. I ordered calamari and monkfish--both were okay but not unforgettable. The lavender creme brule desert though was fantastic.Special Features:
- Lovely venue, restrained menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014The place is beautiful, and the prices are high-end (about 16 for small plates, 30-40 for main courses). Preparation was uniformly good, and drinks were well mixed but not magically so. The flavors and preparations were ... unremarkable. The service was very attentive, and everyone knew we were celebrating a birthday. Our sense walking away was that if the prices were 30% lower across the board, it would have made more sense. You can eat this well on less money all over DC these days.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/2/2014I have rated service as only fair because of the kitchen. The waitstaff was excellent. However, there was a large private party downstairs and the kitchen was simply unable to get the entrees out for people seated upstairs. We waited over 45 minutes for our entrée to be served. My suggestion--if a private party is taking the focus of the evening choose another night for dinner at Nora's.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made it specialNora4suraDined on 10/1/2014We reserved a late evening dinner for two for my friend's birthday and they made it very special from the very beginning with the top of our menus "happy Birthday Emily" to allowing her to alter her items on the tasting menu with items on the general menu. The service was excellent and knowledgeable about the organic menu and "special" cocktails. The food was wonderful nicely proportioned and very flavorful. I truly recommend it for your next special occasionSpecial Features:
- FantasticFuudyDined on 9/30/2014The staff were lovely - very accommodating and knowledgeable. They were patient with our group of 6 and also were gracious about individual checks. Food was unbelievably fresh, vibrant, and creative. Perfect sized portions and high quality ingredients put together beautifully on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2014We had been wanting to try Restaurant Nora for quite some time, and were excited to dine there. Unfortunately, the food was just okay, especially given the extremely high prices. If you are going to spend money on a nice dinner, go somewhere else! It was incredibly warm in the restaurant, which made for an uncomfortable dining experience.
- Consistently WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Every time we visit DC from Boston, we dine at Nora's for it is consistently wonderful for its charming ambiance and friendly atmosphere in a small neighborhood setting. The food is wonderful organic and farm to table dishes, with never a disappointing meal. The staff is professional and friendly, setting the tone for a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Loved itHappyVisitorDined on 9/27/2014I found this place online when trying to figure out a nice place to go for dinner while visiting Washington. This was the perfect choice. It's in a great neighbourhood that's vibrant and visually appealing. The food was amazing and I was quite pleased with the fried green tomato salad. I will for sure be visiting Restaurant Nora again when I come back to visit Washington.Special Features:
- fishlessDined on 9/26/2014The restaurant rose to the occasion - 45th wedding anniversary - by printing a personalized menus and providing us with a quiet place away from the main restaurant. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceKathyDined on 9/25/2014We are from out of town and wanted a quiet off the beaten track eatery. We eat very healthfully and wanted some creative fish and veggies. The food was outstanding and the staff was attentive and friendly. Our only complaint was the fast speed at which the food was delivered, especially for a pricey restaurant. Once mentioned, our server slowed the pace. Overall we were delighted and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good service from the waiter.sssmDined on 9/25/2014The waiter was not attentive at all! She never asked us if it was our first time at Nora, nor did she take the time to explain some of the main dishes. As we were going over the menu, she was not ready to guide us through it, she would rather indicate that if we were not ready she would come back later while we make our decision. Not very satisfy with her service. The food was good, but not terrific for the price.
- Gem for a special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014We love Nora's -- the food is the best in the city, and the service is always great. It is our pick for anniversary celebrations!Special Features:
- Amazing food!!foodieaaDined on 9/22/2014The dining experience at Nora was simply great. We got there 45 minutes before our reservation, and were seated right away! The small plates that we chose, as well as the entrees were vibrant and fresh; the portions were perfect size, and every bite was delicious. We could not decide whether or not to get the mushroom risotto, and our server brought us a half portion to taste. It was delicious and her suggestion was much appreciated. We did not have room for dessert, but I ca only imagine what the desserts must be like! The freshness of the ingredients (especially the vegetables and fruit) was evident throughout the meal. I left thoroughly satisfied, and the next time I am in DC, will make it back to Nora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to return to.ExnewyorkerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Lovely atmosphere with quilts covering the wall; lighting attractive and noise level subdued. Waiter a delight: friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. Food comes with interesting combinations of ingredients and inventive preparation. Wine list reasonable and varied. Unpretentious yet elegant.Special Features:
- Always great!chat3Dined on 9/20/2014I hadn't dined at Nora's in years but was pleasantly surprised to find that it still is one of the top restaurants in the city. Food was creative and excellent with portions just the right size. Service was helpful, not over-bearing, and perfectly timed. I highly recommend a visit to Nora's, a special place in the DC restaurant scene.Special Features:
- Organically beautiful!AbqdinerDined on 9/20/2014Setting the bar high for foodies everywhere, Nora pays delicate attention to each and every ingredient. Much appreciated, excellent flavors and great choices. The best pastry crust I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealSLGDCDined on 9/19/2014Our second time at Nora, and it was lovely. I had the scallops and started with the goat cheese and fennel tart, which was wonderful. I shared half of it, because though it is small, it was very rich! The scallops with Saffron risotto were delicious. Perfectly cooked, balanced, I ate every bite. Three of our companions had the salmon, which all agreed should not have been cooked through, as it was dry. The Caesar salad was delicious, and the Apple Blueberry pie with ice cream was amazing. Great night! The service was great, and it's always beautiful there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceewhdinerDined on 9/17/2014I was really looking forward to dining at Restaurant Nora and had heard many great things. I wasn't particularly blown away by the service or the food, but was still pleased...until the end. A gentleman came over to clear our plates and I had a little bit of food left that I couldn't finish. He simply stared at me, then at the plate, then back at me, with this horrible look on his face. I told him I was finished and he rudely said "was there something wrong?" I told him no, that the meal was great I was just full. He then kept looking at me as if I had horribly offended him until my boyfriend said we could take it to go. The man cleared our plates and never came back with the to-go bag so we paid and left. It was very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- 1st time will be back.reallyenjoy2eatDined on 9/15/2014Our first time to restaurant, I was referred to by foodies and lived up to expectations.
- Gourmet OrganicGourmet0rganicDined on 9/13/2014Amazing tastes and flavors. Every veggie every herb has so much flavor. Great service.. impeccable service. They don't leave any stone unturned to make your night special. GREAT FOOD... did I say that? and a wonderful history/story behind the restaurant and the chef Nora.Special Features: