225 King St.
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantmuramoto.com/
- Phone: (608) 259-1040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Brett Olstadt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A room on the 12th floor of the building overlooking the lake. The room seats up to 20 people or could be used for a cocktail party for up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 6082591040
A word from Restaurant Muramoto
Small plate Asian fusion from a new perspective. Shinji Muramoto's flagship restaurant first opened its doors in 2004. It was, and continues to be, the realization of his creativity and his passion to bring new flavors to Madison. Here, Shinji offers his interpretation of the comparatively young style of cooking that is Asian fusion. It is his belief that this style of cuisine is best experienced in a small-plate format, as it promotes sharing and therefore creates the likelihood that his customers will attempt new things.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Restaurant Muramoto - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
Restaurant Muramoto reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)special occasion (14)romantic (10)good for groups (8)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- All you can eat sushi is the best!pwprosapDined on 10/27/2014I went there with my girlfriend for the All You Can Eat Sushi and it was well worth the price. Great Sushi, good wine and drink list. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not living up to its potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014We dined at Muramoto on Friday, October 24th. We had a couple drinks at the bar and then off to our table - just two of us. This experience could be a lot better. Madison is a competitive place for your dining dollar - and we probably won't add Muramoto to our regular rotation. The service was really poor. Our waitress seemed really put off by her work, offered no guidance on what we might enjoy and was missing for long periods of time. The food was Ok - my sashami was fresh and tasty - though the presentation was nowhere near what you might find from the competition. My wife had black cod - it was pretty good. We also had King Salmon tempura - and that was good. An enthusiastic guide would have helped us enjoy & spend more!
- Super nice staff!CWardDined on 10/17/2014The staff here are really wonderful. Everyone in polite, accommodating, and professional. The sushi was very tasty and there was a good variety of other food if your party doesn't like sushi. I like that you can order a little, then eat, then order more. We never felt rushed out the door. The decor is nice and there are plenty of seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Never DisappointsHhalwegDined on 10/14/2014Muramoto knows their sushi. I only eat the veggie options but had a few bites of "regular" sushi as well. All of it was delicious. Some of the drinks are pricey and a little weird tasting - possibly trying too hard - but you're there for the food anyway. I wish they would change their "2 rolls OR 2 small plates" to include both for their all you can eat sushi. It would be nice to have some edamame and asian slaw WHILE eating my vegetable tempura. I always enjoy myself when I'm there.Special Features:
- Delicious and AccomodatingbuckypharmdDined on 10/12/2014Restaurant Muramoto has all-you-can-eat sushi on Sun-Tues. There are limits and rules though, to keep the whole thing fair, and one of those rules is no parties larger than 6. Well, my husband LOVES sushi and I wanted to surprise him with a birthday dinner. So I contacted the restaurant and they were more than happy to work with me to seat our party of 12. We had a great time and he was completely surprised.Special Features:
- ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/11/2014We made a reservation with Open Table and wanted to add more people to our party and change the time. Upon calling the restaurant, we were told they were totally booked, no changes could be made. When we arrived at the restaurant, there were many open tables that remained that way for our entire stay. If they say they're booked, they're not. Just show up.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't be in a rushOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Food is excellent and duck rolls are amazing. Ordered and waited 45 minutes with no food, and response when we asked was "we're busy so it can take awhile". Took over an hour to get initial plates. Dined here twice recently and service was slow and poor both times buy food worth it. Plan for about 2 hours to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great All You Can EatDuplica123Dined on 10/6/2014My husband and I went with a friend for All You Can Eat sushi. She'd never had sushi, or much Japanese food, before so it was a great experience to introduce her to such a great variety of foods. I love the variety of rolls, though you cannot get sashimi with AYCE. The variety of non-fish dishes is great. There are udon bowls and coleslaw and so many not fishy dishes that are delicious. Perfect for someone who isn't sure if they're going to like seafood in general.Special Features:
- Good for sushi loversJanevDined on 9/28/2014We went because we like sushi and this restaurant has an all you can eat sushi special for early dinner several nights each week. We enjoyed tasting a variety of rolls along with excellent Asian slaw and warm saki. We will de definetely go back.Special Features:
- All you can eat is not kid friendlyBluepanda18Dined on 9/21/2014They should charge the kids by age or height instead of $17 fixed price. And remember to ask twice about the price for kids coz the price I asked when I made reservation and at first when we sat down at the table ($15) was different from what they charged ($17). Otherwise the food is good.
- BlandMickVIPDined on 9/19/2014This was my first time going to this restaurant and I really had high hopes but unfortunately it was not very good and I will not me going back again. I have been to their Hilldale location and their food was excellent.
- Great FoodsomethingrandomDined on 8/3/2014Will come here again. Brought the girlfriend in for All You Can Eat Sushi. Can't beat the price at $30/person considering the great quality of the fresh made to order sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 187 reviews are from the Restaurant Muramoto reviews archive.
- not impressedsushimonsterDined on 7/22/2014I made a reservation for my girlfriends birthday hoping to start off a special night with some wine and sushi. From the moment we walked in I could tell that was not going to be the case. I feel like if someone were to make a reservation for 2 the last place you wold seat them would be next to a table of screaming children. The original waitress we had did a fantastic job but after ordering our food they switched to someone who was training that mixed up our order and after receiving our food it was only average especially for the cost. Overall a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- OMG level food, pace was slow.ShogunMarcusDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I ate here to celebrate our wedding anniversary.Right away we were quite please as the restaurant allowed us to both move up our reservations and dine at an available outside table.From here I don't think anything ever went wrong but as it all went very, very slowly. The evenings special gin infused drink was refreshing and fantastic but good 10 minutes to get to the table. We ordered many things and loved the small plate concept but the pacing was so poor that it created lulls in the eating experience that really need to be owned by the service staff. Again, all of the food fantastic, the server was polite, friendly and knowledgeable, the pacing of the meal was a problem. Truth is I could have ate more.Special Features:
- Relaxing sushi experiencecspsueDined on 6/28/2014I appreciate that they encourage you to order a small amount to share, then order again as often as you like if you want more. They weren't pushy and the food was delicious.
- Great dining experience, as alwaysmspmDined on 6/20/2014The presentation and quality of the food at Restaurant Muramoto have never disappointed. I've eaten dinner here at least 8 times, and I've always been impressed, as have my guests. It is one of my top 3 favorite restaurants in Madison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014The sushi is great here! Although I would stay away from the pickled veggies. I went for the all you can eat sushi night, which would have been perfect if the service had been a little faster. They had plenty of waiters but the staff took forever to take our orders and bring our food. On the plus side I did have time to get hungry for more sushi...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent rolls; so-so dessertssixscrewsDined on 6/5/2014I enjoyed my spicy salmon roll as well as the Asian slaw salad (shared with my companion). I have been going to Muramoto since it opened on the other side of King street in the '90s and have always enjoyed their rolls and salads. The sake list is impressive and comprehensive with something for every taste and budget. I especially enjoy the Nanburu ($9/glass) and another sake that I don't recall - it was $11/glass. The dessert menu is disappointing - too much green tea and odd ingredients. We were looking for straight-up fruit/ices. Fortunately Osteria Papavero is just around the corner - their desserts do not disappoint. And they have espresso. This is a frequent pattern for us - Muramoto for dinner, Osteria P. for dessert.Special Features:
- Japanese delightMadisonianDined on 6/3/2014I love Japanese food, and Muramoto does not disappoint. Beautifully served, great variety, healthy food served in a very pleasant milieu downtown Madison. One of my favorites for birthday dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- graduation dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 5/16/2014this was a special dinner celebration the night before college graduation. They were great , the food was wonderful. rolls and sashimi were perfect. again salad was fabulous. don't get the tofu or the raw beef .Special Features:
- Not the best for sushicasualdinerDined on 5/9/2014Muramoto made its name as one of the first "high end" sushi restaurants in Madison. Restaurant Muramoto, though nearer to the original location than the other Muramoto restaurant in town, has moved from that tradition. Sushi is still available, and the fish is good. But options are limited. The service was good, but the restaurant is loud. They take reservations--which is a plus--but not the best option if sushi is what you are looking for.
- Awesome Food!KGarciaDined on 5/9/2014If you like sushi you will love this place. The food is AMAZING.
- Best in TownRodneyDined on 5/3/2014If I am in the mood for sushi, this is really the only choice in my mind. The over all experience is one that is fit for any occasion. My Sister happened to be in town this particular weekend and it was a great place to start an evening out. the ffod was great, the service was good and the energy was super as well.Special Features:
- KenKenJDined on 4/28/2014Sushi tapas style-Very Good! Will definitely go back & will reccomend to friends.Special Features:
- What's with the menu??MagictoothDined on 4/25/2014Hands down you are the best sushi restaurant in Madison... but what's with the new food menu?? In my opinion, kinda tacky. A large rolled up piece of paper, really? Please bring back the tasteful menu. Other then that, best please for date nights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualirossfamDined on 4/23/2014Great as usual. The restaurant always deliver on service, food quality, and atmosphere. Go it is a must do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably good sushi and new itemsKayElIkeVIPDined on 4/18/2014Restaurant Muramoto and Sushi Muramoto (on the west side) consistently serve the best sushi in town. The former has added several menu items recently, and the one that we tried (snapper head) was fantastic.Special Features:
- good qualityDavidDined on 4/15/2014I came for AYCE buy didn't realize that it ended at 9 while the restaurant didn't close until 10. That disappointed me. I then learned that you can't order all the items AYCE anyway.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in MadisonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Sushi was fresh and as good as anywhere in the country. Restaurant has a good ambience, and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Good food, ruined by 1 waiter/hostPaliDinerVIPDined on 4/4/2014We hosted a dinner for my son's 21st birthday for about 14 people. food was good, everyone had a good time, enjoyed the meal but the experience ruined by 1 of the hosts/greeters/waiters who was very nasty & unhelpful. Our party expanded & we needed another chair. Instead of saying of course & trying to help, this guy gave my wife a nasty look, snarled about having to add another chair, & really was uncooperative about bringing one over, finally bringing a chair that was for a much higher table, making 1 person tower above everyone else at the table & would have made them lean over to eat. Our waitress was very nice, & she happily & quickly found us another correct chair, but this host/waiter's attitude put a bummer on the night. Stupid.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Playing the gamejsoldatiVIPDined on 3/30/2014Did the sun nite "All-u-can-eat" sushi. Mistake. Given list of rules before placing order.... All are reasonable and fair....One big loophole for them... once u place a new order it takes 28 to 35 minutes for your next one to arrive...seated at 6:15 left at 8:30 still hungry.....and unwilling to see this experience thru till 9.Special Features:
- My girlfriend and I went forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014My girlfriend and I went for a semi-special occasion and it was delightful. It was our second time going, and our second time having the all you can eat sushi and if we go again I imagine that is our choice. For 30$ a person it is a great deal and the quality of the fish was very good, much better than many of the other restaurants that serve sushi around downtown/campus. Would definitely recommend this to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but cold by the windowsJeffDined on 3/22/2014Enjoyed our dinner, but were seated by the windows (in an alcove behind the door). It was so cold inside (March) we dined with our coats on. Other that, the food and restaurant were great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014We visited this restaurant for my brother's birthday. Great service, nice atmosphere, and the food come out quick and was delicious. Nice variety of cocktails as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will do AgaintkoeckDined on 3/8/2014We had a great night out. This has been on my list for some time. We have eaten at Sushi Muramoto at Hilldale and have always been pleased. We started with the potato salad....that right potato salad! It was awesome, Bacon, cucumbers, it was a perfect starter. We had two suhshi plates Duck and Spicy Shrimp. Finished with Coconut Shrimp. This dish is not what you are thinking. It is not deep fired or tempura it is is a a spicy broth with tail on shrimp that melt in your mouth. It was awesome! A little rice would be a nice compliment to soak up some of the sauce. Will do again soon! -TKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi and Asian cuisineBlueplateEspecialeVIPDined on 2/28/2014A wonderful restaurant to spoil your starving Badgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All you can eat!Duplica123Dined on 2/25/2014My friends & I have been to this restaurant twice for all you can eat sushi. They just recently redid the main menu & all you can eat menu. All you can eat is no longer on Sundays, so it is just Mondays and Tuesdays. They do not take groups larger than 6. Everything we tried was amazing. There is a huge selection of both rolls and side dishes, such as miso soup, seaweed salad, pork belly, and mussels. The drink menu is fun - lots of cocktails and sake varieties. Beer is by the bottle, but they have a good assortment of that as well. Our waitress was fun and attentive. We were worried that with all you can eat we'd be given a "round" and forgotten, but she came over regularly to check on us and get us more. We will go back for sure!Special Features:
- Great food and service, justOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2014Great food and service, just a little cold. Can't wait to come back again though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointinghackyDined on 2/21/2014I was really excited about this restaurant at first, but the food turned out to be disappointing. The portion is really small, and they are super expensive. The saddest thing is that the sushi aren't made-to-order. They came fairly fast, and tasted soggy. I would prefer that the restaurant focus on their food quality to meet the price charged.
- Lunch specialsWillyDined on 2/21/2014For 9 bucks, one of the best downtown lunch specials. Absolutely delicious!Special Features: