225 King St.
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantmuramoto.com/
- Phone: 6082591040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Brett Olstadt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A room on the 12th floor of the building overlooking the lake. The room seats up to 20 people or could be used for a cocktail party for up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 6082591040
A word from Restaurant Muramoto
Small plate Asian fusion from a new perspective. Shinji Muramoto's flagship restaurant first opened its doors in 2004. It was, and continues to be, the realization of his creativity and his passion to bring new flavors to Madison. Here, Shinji offers his interpretation of the comparatively young style of cooking that is Asian fusion. It is his belief that this style of cuisine is best experienced in a small-plate format, as it promotes sharing and therefore creates the likelihood that his customers will attempt new things.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Restaurant Muramoto - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
Restaurant Muramoto reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)romantic (15)special occasion (14)notable wine list (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great FoodsomethingrandomDined on 8/3/2014Will come here again. Brought the girlfriend in for All You Can Eat Sushi. Can't beat the price at $30/person considering the great quality of the fresh made to order sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedsushimonsterDined on 7/22/2014I made a reservation for my girlfriends birthday hoping to start off a special night with some wine and sushi. From the moment we walked in I could tell that was not going to be the case. I feel like if someone were to make a reservation for 2 the last place you wold seat them would be next to a table of screaming children. The original waitress we had did a fantastic job but after ordering our food they switched to someone who was training that mixed up our order and after receiving our food it was only average especially for the cost. Overall a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- OMG level food, pace was slow.ShogunMarcusDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I ate here to celebrate our wedding anniversary.Right away we were quite please as the restaurant allowed us to both move up our reservations and dine at an available outside table.From here I don't think anything ever went wrong but as it all went very, very slowly. The evenings special gin infused drink was refreshing and fantastic but good 10 minutes to get to the table. We ordered many things and loved the small plate concept but the pacing was so poor that it created lulls in the eating experience that really need to be owned by the service staff. Again, all of the food fantastic, the server was polite, friendly and knowledgeable, the pacing of the meal was a problem. Truth is I could have ate more.Special Features:
- Relaxing sushi experiencecspsueDined on 6/28/2014I appreciate that they encourage you to order a small amount to share, then order again as often as you like if you want more. They weren't pushy and the food was delicious.
- Great dining experience, as alwaysmspmDined on 6/20/2014The presentation and quality of the food at Restaurant Muramoto have never disappointed. I've eaten dinner here at least 8 times, and I've always been impressed, as have my guests. It is one of my top 3 favorite restaurants in Madison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014The sushi is great here! Although I would stay away from the pickled veggies. I went for the all you can eat sushi night, which would have been perfect if the service had been a little faster. They had plenty of waiters but the staff took forever to take our orders and bring our food. On the plus side I did have time to get hungry for more sushi...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent rolls; so-so dessertssixscrewsDined on 6/5/2014I enjoyed my spicy salmon roll as well as the Asian slaw salad (shared with my companion). I have been going to Muramoto since it opened on the other side of King street in the '90s and have always enjoyed their rolls and salads. The sake list is impressive and comprehensive with something for every taste and budget. I especially enjoy the Nanburu ($9/glass) and another sake that I don't recall - it was $11/glass. The dessert menu is disappointing - too much green tea and odd ingredients. We were looking for straight-up fruit/ices. Fortunately Osteria Papavero is just around the corner - their desserts do not disappoint. And they have espresso. This is a frequent pattern for us - Muramoto for dinner, Osteria P. for dessert.Special Features:
- Japanese delightMadisonianDined on 6/3/2014I love Japanese food, and Muramoto does not disappoint. Beautifully served, great variety, healthy food served in a very pleasant milieu downtown Madison. One of my favorites for birthday dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 180 reviews are from the Restaurant Muramoto reviews archive.
- graduation dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014this was a special dinner celebration the night before college graduation. They were great , the food was wonderful. rolls and sashimi were perfect. again salad was fabulous. don't get the tofu or the raw beef .Special Features:
- Not the best for sushicasualdinerDined on 5/9/2014Muramoto made its name as one of the first "high end" sushi restaurants in Madison. Restaurant Muramoto, though nearer to the original location than the other Muramoto restaurant in town, has moved from that tradition. Sushi is still available, and the fish is good. But options are limited. The service was good, but the restaurant is loud. They take reservations--which is a plus--but not the best option if sushi is what you are looking for.
- Awesome Food!KGarciaDined on 5/9/2014If you like sushi you will love this place. The food is AMAZING.
- Best in TownRodneyDined on 5/3/2014If I am in the mood for sushi, this is really the only choice in my mind. The over all experience is one that is fit for any occasion. My Sister happened to be in town this particular weekend and it was a great place to start an evening out. the ffod was great, the service was good and the energy was super as well.Special Features:
- KenKenJDined on 4/28/2014Sushi tapas style-Very Good! Will definitely go back & will reccomend to friends.Special Features:
- What's with the menu??MagictoothDined on 4/25/2014Hands down you are the best sushi restaurant in Madison... but what's with the new food menu?? In my opinion, kinda tacky. A large rolled up piece of paper, really? Please bring back the tasteful menu. Other then that, best please for date nights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualirossfamDined on 4/23/2014Great as usual. The restaurant always deliver on service, food quality, and atmosphere. Go it is a must do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably good sushi and new itemsKayElIkeVIPDined on 4/18/2014Restaurant Muramoto and Sushi Muramoto (on the west side) consistently serve the best sushi in town. The former has added several menu items recently, and the one that we tried (snapper head) was fantastic.Special Features:
- good qualityDavidDined on 4/15/2014I came for AYCE buy didn't realize that it ended at 9 while the restaurant didn't close until 10. That disappointed me. I then learned that you can't order all the items AYCE anyway.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in MadisonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Sushi was fresh and as good as anywhere in the country. Restaurant has a good ambience, and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Good food, ruined by 1 waiter/hostPaliDinerVIPDined on 4/4/2014We hosted a dinner for my son's 21st birthday for about 14 people. food was good, everyone had a good time, enjoyed the meal but the experience ruined by 1 of the hosts/greeters/waiters who was very nasty & unhelpful. Our party expanded & we needed another chair. Instead of saying of course & trying to help, this guy gave my wife a nasty look, snarled about having to add another chair, & really was uncooperative about bringing one over, finally bringing a chair that was for a much higher table, making 1 person tower above everyone else at the table & would have made them lean over to eat. Our waitress was very nice, & she happily & quickly found us another correct chair, but this host/waiter's attitude put a bummer on the night. Stupid.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Playing the gamejsoldatiVIPDined on 3/30/2014Did the sun nite "All-u-can-eat" sushi. Mistake. Given list of rules before placing order.... All are reasonable and fair....One big loophole for them... once u place a new order it takes 28 to 35 minutes for your next one to arrive...seated at 6:15 left at 8:30 still hungry.....and unwilling to see this experience thru till 9.Special Features:
- My girlfriend and I went forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014My girlfriend and I went for a semi-special occasion and it was delightful. It was our second time going, and our second time having the all you can eat sushi and if we go again I imagine that is our choice. For 30$ a person it is a great deal and the quality of the fish was very good, much better than many of the other restaurants that serve sushi around downtown/campus. Would definitely recommend this to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but cold by the windowsJeffDined on 3/22/2014Enjoyed our dinner, but were seated by the windows (in an alcove behind the door). It was so cold inside (March) we dined with our coats on. Other that, the food and restaurant were great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014We visited this restaurant for my brother's birthday. Great service, nice atmosphere, and the food come out quick and was delicious. Nice variety of cocktails as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will do AgaintkoeckDined on 3/8/2014We had a great night out. This has been on my list for some time. We have eaten at Sushi Muramoto at Hilldale and have always been pleased. We started with the potato salad....that right potato salad! It was awesome, Bacon, cucumbers, it was a perfect starter. We had two suhshi plates Duck and Spicy Shrimp. Finished with Coconut Shrimp. This dish is not what you are thinking. It is not deep fired or tempura it is is a a spicy broth with tail on shrimp that melt in your mouth. It was awesome! A little rice would be a nice compliment to soak up some of the sauce. Will do again soon! -TKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi and Asian cuisineBlueplateEspecialeVIPDined on 2/28/2014A wonderful restaurant to spoil your starving Badgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All you can eat!Duplica123Dined on 2/25/2014My friends & I have been to this restaurant twice for all you can eat sushi. They just recently redid the main menu & all you can eat menu. All you can eat is no longer on Sundays, so it is just Mondays and Tuesdays. They do not take groups larger than 6. Everything we tried was amazing. There is a huge selection of both rolls and side dishes, such as miso soup, seaweed salad, pork belly, and mussels. The drink menu is fun - lots of cocktails and sake varieties. Beer is by the bottle, but they have a good assortment of that as well. Our waitress was fun and attentive. We were worried that with all you can eat we'd be given a "round" and forgotten, but she came over regularly to check on us and get us more. We will go back for sure!Special Features:
- Great food and service, justOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2014Great food and service, just a little cold. Can't wait to come back again though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointinghackyDined on 2/21/2014I was really excited about this restaurant at first, but the food turned out to be disappointing. The portion is really small, and they are super expensive. The saddest thing is that the sushi aren't made-to-order. They came fairly fast, and tasted soggy. I would prefer that the restaurant focus on their food quality to meet the price charged.
- Lunch specialsWillyDined on 2/21/2014For 9 bucks, one of the best downtown lunch specials. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Enjoyable evening with good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014We started with the spicy coconut shrimp, which was delicious. My wife ordered the California rolls , I ordered the viper rolls and we split an order of New York rolls. California rolls were a little dull, everything else was very good. The sake we had was great, but I cannot recall the name. It was a staff favorite and had melon-anise flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Hands down the best sushi in Madison, WI. The wait for our food wasn't long at all: we ordered two rolls and were in and out in less than half an hour despite the place being packed. The wait staff were friendly. Prices aren't terrible, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!!!!!!!!SibajaDined on 2/14/2014I recommend it to all of my friends. The Walleye with the mayo is great! So is that Bumble Bee Roll and also a great wine selection. One of my favorite places in Madison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for sushiRestauranteerDined on 2/14/2014This was my first time here. A little more spacious than sushi muromoto with the same great caliber sushi. All three of our rolls were excellent. The deadly catch is definitely one to try. We also got the short rib udon which was very good. We went here for Valentine's Day and the ambiance was exactly what I was looking for. The lighting was dimmed down and the decor gave it that high - end restaurant feel. This is the only good sushi spot in Madison that accepts reservations in my opinion. Highly recommend restaurant muromoto for anyone looking for good sushi with a nice selection of drinks. I had a Japanese microbrew (Red rice) that was excellent. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- successful vday lunchscottyp9Dined on 2/14/2014Everything was great except for 2 things. The service was not top notch. More attentiveness and a better memory would be sufficient. Also the king crab fried tempura was cold and the sauce did not go with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you knew sushi....OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/2/2014Some of the best sushi/sashimi in town. We went with a couple of 'chef's choice' plates and were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerlinzshellDined on 2/1/2014We loved everything we ordered, from the pork belly steam bun and duck confit and scallion gyoza small bites, to our sushi platter which consisted of escolar and yellowtail nigiri and several rolls. We especially enjoyed the spicy tuna special roll, we really like spicy food and this had just the right kick. We also tried the Tokyo Picnic roll, which was good but tasted mostly like bacon so we ate it last. Our waiter was excellent, he was friendly and checked in just the right amount. This was our fourth time dining at Muramoto restaurant and every time we go we have a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not what it used to beSC64Dined on 1/31/2014Understandable for a Saturday night there was a long wait to see the waiter, but the wait to order, never being asked for a 2nd drink until we asked for the check, and sitting with a dirty plate in front of us for fifteen minutes all became tiresome. This would all be tolerable except for the fact that we informed our waiter the spicy tuna roll tasted off. Without an apology or acknowledgement at any time during the meal or asking what could be done, we had to wait to see the check if the waiter removed the item (which he had) to know if he had even heard us! Except for the one roll, the fish is wonderful. This cannot overcome the service. Not what it used to be which was never that great, but now unacceptable.
- LunchamitisraeliDined on 1/30/2014Good lunch meeting. Hope it will lead to my ability to pay for this lunc....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is this food for ants?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014Went for restaurant week and was surprised by how tiny each portion was. We had to go next door for a pizza afterwards. The food didn't impress much either. I won't be coming back.
- We went for restaurant weekMstelDined on 1/24/2014We went for restaurant week which is a great deal but a bit crazy. We had a reservation but had to wait 15 mins for our table. The waiter was great, very knowledgable and friendly. Food timing was good and all dishes were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.