215 4th Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehotelminneapolis.com/dining/restaurant-max/
- Phone: (612) 340-0303
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 6:30am - 10:30am; Saturday & Sunday 7:00am - 11:00am
Breakfast Buffet: Saturday & Sunday 7:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 2:00pm; Saturday & Sunday 11:00pm - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Lounge: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - close; Saturday & Sunday 12:00pm - close
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Healey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Diverse catering menu as well as custom creations available. Please inquire at email@example.com or 612-215-5441.
- Private Party Facilities: For business, pleasure, or both, restaurant Max’s flexible, functional and stylish private dining rooms are perfect for your events, private dining or special occasions for up to 100 guests. Our private event space overlooks the restaurant and bar. The room features floor booths and tables - flexible enough to accommodate your event, reception or dining setting. Independent lighting and music controls allow you to create the right ambiance. Perfect for corporate dinners, rehearsal or grooms dinners, special occasions and family events. Private dining at restaurant Max will provide the maximum experience.
- Private Party Contact: Terry Seppala 6122155441x
- Special Events: On New Year's Eve we will be offering a special Prix Fix Menu only which can be purchased in either three or five courses. Please contact us at 612-340-0303 for more information or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: 2nd Avenue
- Public Transit: Restaurant Max is located 1 block North of the light rail system and on the bus lines.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking Available at The Hotel Minneapolis. Drop-off and pick-up in the driveway of The Hotel Minneapolis off of 4th Street South.
Standard Hotel Minneapolis parking rates apply.
A word from restaurant Max
The restaurant Max features lifestyle cuisine highlighting the fresh seasonal offerings of the local region and is located at the corner of 2nd Avenue and 4th Street in downtown Minneapolis adjacent to The Hotel Minneapolis. Guests love restaurant Max's innovative yet approachable style as they relax in an atmosphere that is fresh and creative. Lifestyle Cuisine at restaurant Max means providing the guest with the dining experience they are looking for at that moment: food, portions and beverages that support your situation; a business lunch, private dining, happy hour at the bar, a dinner celebration, a romantic date, or a time to share with friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
restaurant Max - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
restaurant Max reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (11)good for groups (4)special occasion (3)romantic (2)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- MiniDined on 11/6/2014Had a great business lunch. Had not been to restaurant Max before, probably because it seems like it's the opposite direction from rest of downtown Mpls. Was a little concerned about food and service based on past Open Table reviews but was pleasantly surprised with both the food and service. I would go again. It was a nice change by not going to the "old standby's."
- Pleasantly surprisedNYSandy23Dined on 10/10/2014Not knowing what to expect, and leery of hotel restaurants, my companion and I were pleasantly surprise by this restaurant. The food was tasty and the service was lovely. The room was not crowded, even on a Friday night. The menu, while somewhat limited, has a number of starters and add-ons which make the meal substantial at a middle to upper middle end price point. My companion had the chicken and I made a perfectly good steak salad with jumbo shrimp cocktail. Everyone was friendly and I would return again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was subparlb827Dined on 9/25/2014I had the Salmon, and it wasn't just dry, it was crispy. I've never quite experienced seafood like that.
- A great experiencebabsrichDined on 9/11/2014We were expecting a sub-par experience due to reading past reviews about bad service. We had excellent attentive service and the food was great. Be aware that the menu online is not what they have in the restaurant. The wait person said it's about three menus out of date. So no scallops or calamari on the menu that people raved about. But the crab cakes were great and salmon as well. Everything we saw come out of the kitchen and going to other tables looked tempting and delicious. When making a reservation at this place, be patient. I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone on two different days. Apparently the space is so large, it's tough to hear the phone and here's no dedicated host.Special Features:
- Could be a great place...MKBADined on 8/12/2014The service is lacking management and the food as well. This is a beautiful place, full of potential to be busy and profitable, however service and food are not being able to hold returning customers.Special Features:
- Seated Dining in Downtown30SomethingFoodSnobVIPDined on 8/6/2014There aren't too many options around this part of downtown for a nice, seated lunch. Restaurant Max was just fine for a client luncheon. Looks like most of the diners there are also having meetings with colleagues. The restaurant filled up quickly, and service was never an issue. Food was pretty good, too.Special Features:
- The following 530 reviews are from the restaurant Max reviews archive.
- MaxOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Very nice place, great dinner menu and wonderful staffSpecial Features:
- UnderwhelmingcallitlikeiseeitDined on 7/18/2014I read the reviews online to restaurant Max so maybe my expectations were too high. The menu is sparse and slightly overpriced. I ordered a chicken dish which included a nasty mushroom/cheese side dish. My partner's burger was the equivalent of anything you would find at a burger joint. On the plus side, the service was nice. We ate at 6 on a weekend and nearly had the place to ourselves. Can't recommend.
- Lack LusterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/3/2014Such a beautiful space- to bad the menu and service were nothing of the sort. Extremely limited menu, poor and uneducated service, over priced drinks. We ordered wild roasted mushrooms and received almost raw baby bellas. The waitress comped them for us because as she said "we didn't like them", no- it wasn't what we ordered, and we didn't eat them. Big disappointment, there was definitely a reason we were the ONLY people in the entire place on Thursday night.
- Very NiceDargDined on 6/28/2014We dined very early on Saturday evening, so the restaurant was not very busy. Our server was friendly and attentive and our food was tasty.Special Features:
- Decent food but super emptympkdcDined on 6/21/2014Max was solid, food-wise, but on a Saturday night, there were only 3 other tables with patrons in a space that seemed too vast by far. Maybe the place does a bustling weekday business since it is in the heart of downtown. For a weekend, though, it seemed too quiet.Special Features:
- Maxpolis80VIPDined on 6/20/2014First of all, the menu was very pathetic. Nothing very interesting but very spendy. All sides are extra. The shrimp cocktail was terrible. Soggy small shrimp with an aweful cocktail sauce. The smoked chicken breast was dry, the corn dumplings were two weird tiny pancake-shaped tasteless things but the watercress salad was great. My hamburger was ok and the sweet potato fries were very good. We shared a slice of carrot cake that was ordinary except for the excessive frosting.
- Just don't...ChadVIPDined on 6/7/2014Horrible service, burned food, nice ambience. But just don't do it, go anywhere else.
- Great place but chilly temperatureShakinbaconDined on 6/6/2014The food was excellent-loved the tomato basil mozzarella flatbread and New York strip steak. Unfortunately, we were seated at a table near the window and I was freezing during dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good breakfast buffetmudjeepDined on 6/6/2014We were staying in downtown Minneapolis and wanted breakfast that would not be too expensive. We had the breakfast buffet which included juice and coffee. The food was good and hot and the service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big changes since I was there lastLaurieGDined on 5/30/2014It has been about 18 months since my husband and I were last at Rest. Max. We were shocked to see how drastically the menu had changed! There are only 7 main course menu items and they now have flatbreads on the menu (we did not try one of those). A basket of bread is no longer offered. There used to be an extensive wine menu. Now there are only 9 reds and 11 whites available. We started out with the shrimp cocktail which was ordinary. I ordered the crab cakes appetizer for my meal and my husband ordered the crab cake entree. The crab cakes changed our mind! We would go back if we craved crab cakes! They were awesome! It's a sad looking menu. We'll return but only if we have a Groupon type discount.
- It's ok. A venue within the Hotel.WorldsmostinterestingmanDined on 5/6/2014Great if your staying in the Hotel Minneapolis (a Marriot property) and need to eat and want to have a drink. Had to sit in bar as it was later in the evening but the full menu was still available. Imaginative menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemStumpjumperDined on 4/29/2014After work bar croud Energetic noisy but tolerable to my familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No thank you for your service.SingSongDined on 4/24/2014My colleagues and I came to Restaurant Max for a business lunch in the middle of a busy planning day. It took 40 minutes for the server to come get our food order! He'd already come to give us water and then get our drink orders, so we were getting just enough attention to not get up and leave. Then our food finally came and we wolfed it down; then we had to wait for our bill! When asked , the server didn't appologize, just aid something about being busier than usual. Given the quality of my experience, that might be true, but they didn't look busy. There were no diners by us. I think there were only 5-8 tables occupied total.
- Great food! Place was pretty deadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014I had the NY Strip with baked potato and veggies. VERY good! $28 seemed really good for downtown Mpls. The place just seemed a little dead...like not a happening place. It's in an unusual part of downtown...kind of off the beaten path. It's large, but there was hardly anyone there. Girlfriend had the crabcake entree. That was tasty as well. I sampled it. Having said all this, I'd go back. There's something about the place that seemed "dated"....like they updated once....but it's time to do it again. That's all for now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Perfect, fun place for a light, fun date night with good food but not too expensive. Also great for just meeting with friends or a business meeting. Also great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at restaurant maxnansVIPDined on 4/11/2014three of us had lunch there on fri. the food was very good. my friends are from the suburbs so they enjoyed the change of eating in the city. overall we had a good day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handsome VenueDougVIPDined on 3/22/2014The beautifully decorated Restaurant Max inhabits the ground floor of the old Soo Line Bldg, now renovated into the boutique Hotel Minneapolis. It’s fun to stroll around the public areas, enjoying the architecture and photos. The menu is modest in scope. A Caesar salad to start was very fresh and large enough for two to share. Our selected entrées (broiled salmon w asparagus and roasted potatoes; chicken pot pie) were good, with generous portions. Our server, Mark, was very friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive; he contributed to a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You were warned.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2014We have eated here before with both OK and bad experiences. I thought my wife and I would give them another try. It was another bad food experience. The chicken pot pie: cup was one half filled and tasteless. The crust looked great but had no flavor. The meatball (with the spaghetti) was a rock and horrible. I think it was an old practice ball for the Twins the was recycled. The spaghetti and sauce were marginal but OK. I thought that most chefs are suppose to taste their food for quality. Where is chef Ramsey when you need him. We will not go back.Special Features:
- The ambience was nice andSunshineDined on 3/19/2014The ambience was nice and quiet, but the food choices were minimal and not very flavorful. Not worth the money.
- Never again.KathVIPDined on 3/12/2014Had a horrible experience and would definitely recommend you try somewhere else! I went to Max while traveling to Minneapolis for work. The food was mediocre at best...the wild rice soup had about a tablespoon of rice in it and was flavorless. I ordered the spagetti and meatballs and the meatball was both hard and all breading, almost uneatable. The spagetti arrived right on the heels of my appetizer (I got three bites into the soup before the main meal arrived), I had to ask twice for a glass of wine, I took carrot cake back to my hotel and ate three bites before throwing it away. If the food was better it would have been annoying to be as rushed as I was but since the experience was so bad I was happy to leave! Service also poor.
- Very good food/service!JeanetteDined on 3/12/2014We have good food and service upon our visit to Max. I went with a large group for lunch last June and it was so good and I wanted to go back so I did so recently with a friend. Portions were large. Food was very good and dessert was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME - THIS PLACE ROCKS!!TmikaMDined on 2/22/2014This was my first time coming here. I am OVER THE MOON about this place. The food was fantastice, THe service was excellent the atmosphere was great! We enjoyed Crab cake, wild rice soup, steak, salmon, asparagus and fingerling potatoes. All was cooked to perfection! We continued to talk about the restuarant the next day. Great date night, first date! LOVE this!! Will continue to spread the word and definately come back in the future! Thanks!! You guys ROCK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014Restaurant Max was a very disappointing experience for such a beautiful space. The service was slow (we waited 15 minutes for drinks) and the menu boring at best. I had the salmon with bland and soggy fingerling potatoes. My husband had chicken that he said was tasteless. The other couple we were dining with seemed ok with their dinner - but everyone was weirded out by the waiter. Just an odd guy. But hey, that can be cool - if the service was timely. Which it wasn't. We were very glad we had a Groupon for 1/2 off our meal.
- AwfulNeverAgainDined on 2/14/2014Our dinner experience at Max was AWFUL!. The food was good but the service was TERRIBLE. It was Valentine's and the place was not crowded so the service should have been spot on but it was TERRIBLE. We would never eat there again and have already told many people of the awful experience. Sorry.
- unbelievable2dineornot2dineDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I have ate there many times already and stayed at the Hotel Minneapolis . This last time was for Valentine's, and I would have to say this was the best meal I have ever had at a resturant! They served us a five course meal that was unbelievable. I would so do this for Valentines again and will be back soon! I have already told friends about our great experience. Wow I just cant stop thinking about it. You just need to go and experience this yourself. Thanks Cheryl R.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is lackingBaylakerDined on 2/13/2014We had several individuals for a happy hour. When our server came to take orders on two occasions we had new people arrive who had questions about vodka brands and beer.....on both accounts he abruptly said, "it's in the menu" rather than taking a moment to share with our group what was available. I don't believe at any point he ever smiled during the 2 1/2 hours we were there or ever attempted to engage us short of asking what we wanted. I'm sure we'll be back, will probably come for dinner and see if the service improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing historical space!MstasiaVIPDined on 2/8/2014This is a restaurant in an old historical building in downtown Mpls. The ambiance was incredible. Good great and service wonderful. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, even on a Friday night. BeauBirthdayBashDined on 1/31/2014Quiet, even on a Friday night. Beautiful decor and wonderful food menu. Service was a little slow for the amount of customers; however, our server was attentive and engaged.Special Features:
- Working lunchNearbybankerDined on 1/22/2014Our group of 6 had a great experience for lunch. Our service was spot-on, food was good and we were able to work thru our work agenda. We will defintely go back again! Great location for our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Thanks!Great4LunchDined on 1/21/2014This was the first time my group had a side room. It was wonderful! The noise level was so much nicer than in the main diningroom! It was comfortable and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner spotpriyagraceDined on 1/13/2014I'm not a huge fan of hotel restaurants but Max's does a good job of being a restaurant that happens to be in a hotel. From the food to the service, the focus on customer care is high. I've eaten breakfast and dinner here, and have enjoyed my meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!MNGuy82Dined on 1/3/2014My fiancee and I love this place and the hotel it is in! We frequent The Hotel Minneapolis and always stop in the Restaurant Max for a snack and drink or two before we go out. It is a cool, classy, modern bar with red lighting and high ceilings! The food is really good, try the crab cakes! If you've never been, it's definitely worth a trip, even if it's just to check out the scenery of the building(which used to be a bank).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Max lunchessusantDined on 1/2/2014Excellent restaurant for a special occasion to congratulate or say farewell and good luck. One can talk and be heard at the table. Good specials and excellent lunch options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceMrChowDined on 12/31/2013Would not recommend. When we first arrived, we noticed that the restaurant was practically empty. We thought this meant we would receive good attention from the waitstaff. We were very wrong. There were two hosts there and they completely ignored us until they had finished their entire conversation, even though they knew we were waiting to be greeted. At our table, it took about 20 minutes before anyone came over to our table. 20 minutes! We seriously felt like they forgot we were there. And the whole rest or the night went like that. It took a really unreasonable time for each part of our meal to arrive- especially since we were basically the only people there.