Restaurant James Randall
303 N Santa Cruz Ave
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Restaurant James Randall
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantjamesrandall.com/
- Phone: 4083954441
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Ross Hanson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Information Available
- Private Party Facilities: Available for small private groups.
- Private Party Contact: Brenda 4083954441
A word from Restaurant James Randall
Sample American cuisine at its best at this intimate dining spot. You’ll feel as if you’re eating at home, but with the pleasant difference that Chef Ross Hanson’s menu is likely to make you forget all about your mom’s cooking. Restaurant James Randall has made its mark for its creatively inspired, ever-changing dishes featuring the season’s freshest local fare. This is comfort food elevated to its most delicious peak, served in a hip, pleasantly casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant James Randall reviews from OpenTable diners
- Fabulous food, go earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2013We went to this restaurant for an anniversary celebration. We loved the small plates for the ability to try lots of different flavors in small portions. The food was wonderful. We were glad to have gone early as it was unpleasantly loud in the restaurant by the time we left around 8 p.m. The outdoor dining option looked inviting, surrounded by greenery, but the chairs looked hard and uncomfortable so we opted for indoors. We had a cocktail at the bar first and the bartender was fun and interesting, helping my husband get just the right not-sweet cocktail.Special Features:
- Plethora of Num NumsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2013We each enjoyed a delectable full course meal (appetizer, salad, and entree), as well as cocktails, and these were all outstanding, though we felt a tad rushed by the wait staff. We also tried the house red and white wines, but both agreed that these were not bad, but not up to par with the food. The main room was quite noisy on a Friday night, which I suppose should be expected, but it was better than sitting outside and listening to street traffic. All in all, the meal was a little pricey but worth it. This was our second visit, and we'll be back on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely delicious....everyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/22/2013absolutely delicious....every morsel. didn't care for the citrus/pomegranate cosmo tho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2013Went for our anniversary dinner, and mentioned it in our Open Reservations note. No one acted as if they knew we had reservations... or that it was our anniversary. Place was empty, so no big deal... but the restaurant never made us feel particularly welcome (special day or not.) Drink was weak, even when asked for it to be replenished. Fish and chicken dishes were good, not great -- something that we could have easily made at home. Have not been to RJR since it expanded. We are local, and want to like it and support it, but will go to other restaurants in our neighborhood before we consider it again. Luckily the company was great... and we dwelled on that rather than unfulfilled dining expectations.
- always impressesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2013Have come here for dinner a few times. The cocktails and food are always perfect. A little pricey, but the experience is worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner for fivefivegirlsDined on 8/13/2013We five girls went to celebrate a birthday. None of us are big eaters or drinkers. I don't know anything about the alcohol offered. three of us each had a small plate (only recommended for small eaters) and two split a large plate. It all worked well. The bread was also tasty. We then split the only two desserts offered. We did not finish them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite los gatos restaurantlosgatosguyDined on 8/6/2013Restaurant James Randall was terrific, as always. The food is terrific and there is always something new on the menu to try. I had the toasted gnocchi to start, ribeye for dinner and flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good a beforebyranVIPDined on 8/6/2013The menu was very limited, and while the dish was good, the meat was very over cooked, I made a comment to the waitress but it seems not to have an impact.
- Better than I expected!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/3/2013After reading some Yelp reviews, I was a bit skeptical to try this little restaurant. So glad I did!! As others have said, wonderful cocktails! Very innovative! Love the spicy margarita! I had the heirloom tomato salad which was out of this world. My husband had the frisee salad with egg and absolutely loved it! Will definitely be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2013This is a small, fairly quiet restaurant. It's a great place for a romantic date but energetic enough for a small group of friends. I sat inside, but next time would like to experience the outdoor seating. The salmon was outstanding. I would highly recommend it. The service was acceptable, but I didn't feel that our server was particularly friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service okluv2eatoutDined on 8/2/2013This was our second visit and both times the food has been outstanding. Wonderful fresh ingredients perfectly prepared. The service wasn't awful, the staff was pleasant. But we did have to wait a long time before anyone came to take our drink order and it then took a good 10 minutes to get our drink and there was not a big crowd in the bar. I understand that situations come up when it takes an unexpectedly long time to get a drink, order etc but the wait staff should check in with you to make sure you know you're not abandoned. This staff seemed young and inexperienced to us. We will definitely go back-the food is that good.
- Tasty but not spectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2013This place was pretty uncrowded on a Saturday night. The service was gracious, attentive, but not too attentive. The food looked really good but the taste wasn't as amazing as it should have been for this price point. The cocktails also sounded great but tasted just okay. I really wanted to like this place more but I probably wouldn't return.Special Features:
- Consistently good!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2013Restaurant James Randall is consistently good: Food, ambiance, friendly staff. One of our favorit restaurants.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceNelziDined on 7/13/2013We had a lovely dinner of three small plates and shared an entree. I found the service particularly attentive, our little table that sat behind pretty green plants overlooking the street on the outside porch was just perfect for my grandson and me. I think if the entrees were just a couple of dollars cheaper, it would be a more honest level of cost and they would still make lots of profit. That said - our experience was worth repeating.Special Features:
- OK for veggiesveggiequeenDined on 7/12/2013Although the menu did not have any vegetarian entrees, the chef was able to put together a very nice plate that more than met my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep an eye on thingsceemaqDined on 7/11/2013Delicious food. Calm and informal service. We ordered a pasta dish and got the chicken one instead - not a huge deal, but the check still showed the more expensive chicken dish.Special Features:
- We were disappointed, we haveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2013We were disappointed, we have always had wonderful food in the past, but this time it wasn't the same quality. We will try it again in the fall.
- HotSam22Dined on 7/3/2013We left without eating at all. The restaurant has no A/C and it was over 90 degrees outside and seemed more than that inside. They did not even bother to bring in any fans in the main dining room.
- A do again!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/22/2013Was somewhat interested in this place, but got mixed reviews from friends I talked to, etc. Our experience was great overall. The place itself and the food was good and creative. Service was fine, but nothing to write home about. A neat spot with great food - we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2013We had previously eaten at James Randall as a spur of the moment dinner with friends and it was so enjoyable my wife asked me to have her birthday dinner there. Birthday dinner was just not up to our first visit's level. Some of the items we had on our first visit didn't taste as fresh as our first visit, chicken and waffle, and stuffed chicken come to mind. Not sure if it was a bad night (it was early in the evening and not crowded at all) or what. We may give them another try, but will think twice.Special Features:
- Great food. Kind of casualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2013Great food. Kind of casual but the food has improved each time I go. Halibut was out of this world and the sauce was unique and tasty. A real gem. Duck was fantastic too. Starter salads could be improved. Desserts were fantastic!!! Small, cozy restaurant.Special Features:
- Horrible experienceBridbearDined on 5/31/2013The service in this restaurant is abysmal. From the start they made us wait to set-up a table after we already had a reservation booked (for 7.30). We did not get a glass of wine or water until 8.10. Then we did not see any food until 9.15. That's disgraceful. Our waiter did not seem to care and his only comments kept being that the kitchen staff had an unexpectedly large party that had been seated and were backlogged. This comment even though tables beside and behind us had come and gone in the time we were there. We figured they'd lost or completely forgotten our order. It was a disaster. I would never go back.
- Good date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/24/2013The wife and I went out on a Friday night for date night and decided on Restaurant James Randall for dinner. We came at 5:30 and we were the first people there. Parking was a breeze as we swooped a spot right in front of the door. We ordered 3 small plate appetizers and split a burger for our entree and each had a glass of house cab. The food, ambiance, and service were all to our liking. The price after tip ended up about $50 per person. I wouldn't say this restaurant was amazing, but it was good and met our needs for the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our chicken was a bit dryMD1111VIPDined on 5/23/2013Our chicken was a bit dry and cold by the time it was delivered. Was disappointed especially since it was not a cheap evening.
- Forgetable FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013Outside of the potatoe with bacon...two of the three dishes we had were forgetable. Good thing the great wine kept our spirits up!!! As a consumer, I feel ripped off by the experience.Special Features:
- I love Restaurant James Randall.ScoutyVIPDined on 5/18/2013I love Restaurant James Randall. Every item on the menu was great...the gnocchi, asparagus, fried chicken/waffle, NY steak, stuffed chicken, and ever so delicious sushi roll. The owners are always gracious and friendly. Service was good, not outstanding. Will always return for a wonderful meal in a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Again and AgainPerfectVIPDined on 5/15/2013We come back again and again...we love this place. Kid friendly and our toddler loves the great comfort food.Special Features:
- disapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013The service, selection of food items and the quality was not what I was expecting. Perhaps my experience was an anomaly, the "perfect storm" however I will not be returning. The executive chef (Ross) was kind enough to bring my credit card back to me, apologize and comp our meal. Cheers to the executive chef!
- Great Service - Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2013The dining experience was fabulous - I came with my Mom & son to celebrate an early Mother's Day and we were not disappointed. Our server was friendly & attentive and checked back with us often. The food was fantastic and presented very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but they needRavenVIPDined on 4/27/2013Great food, but they need their door to the outside seating to close automatically.Special Features:
- Food can be improvedsuszzDined on 4/20/2013We tried this restaurant several years ago and was not impressed. We decided to give it another chance since they have expanded. My husband and I each tried the artichoke soup which was ok. Great mix of texture, but stock was bland. My husband had the fries and appetizer fried chicken for his dinner. I had gnocchi and fried chicken for dinner. The gnocchi was excellent, creamy and full of favor. I would order this as the main entree. The fried chicken with the waffle was okay, I've had better. I live in Los Gatos and like to support local restaurants, but don't plan to be back for awhile.Special Features:
- Overall a very good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013Overall a very good experience. The food is very good and not to expensive. However, the wine, especially by the glass is highly over priced.
- This is a charming, small,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2013This is a charming, small, intimate gem at the far end of the main drag. Love the antique appointments. I can imagine how this fills to capacity on week-ends. Rather limited menu. Delightful bar, and nice outdoor seating when the weather cooperates.Special Features:
- Love this place! Stellar foodscb10VIPDined on 4/16/2013Love this place! Stellar food with very personal service. Sometimes a little slow, but not slow enough to ruin an evening. can't rate the food highly enough, and the wait staff is very friendly. Late for a reservation, and they accommodated us anyway.Special Features:
- Always love their chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013Always love their chicken and waffle and they have the BEST burgers in the world! Get the gnocchi appetizer.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. We sharedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/13/2013Food was excellent. We shared the toasted gnocchi as an appetizer. I had the halibut and my wife had a salad. Presentation was execellent and the waitress was very friend and accomodating to our requests for variations to the accompanying side dishes. I highly recommend dining there. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought tasty, the dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/9/2013Thought tasty, the dessert was not worth $9. Portion was way too small. Thought it was a free palate cleanser.Special Features:
- Quaint place in our neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2013Quaint place in our neighborhood that WAS wildly inconsistent, both food an service. NOW, they are doin a spectacular job over the last six months, food spot on, Cheffront of house engagement, talented servers...especially Alicia. Back near the top of our list.Special Features:
- Met here with another coupleWaterbuckDined on 4/5/2013Met here with another couple to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was an excellent choice as the food was delicious and the service was very good. We have been there a few times before and it remains one of Los Gatos' best restaurants. A little pricey - but that's to be expected for this class of restaurant located in Los Gatos. Very comfortable environment.Special Features:
- Food was very tasty. I orderKristinDined on 3/22/2013Food was very tasty. I order a spicey lemon drop that was so different but delicious. All the food sounding amazing.Special Features: