2146 Monroe Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantiris.com/
- Phone: 9015902828
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Creole
- Executive Chef: Kelly English
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call 901-590-2828 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Restaurant Iris
Born and raised in Southern Louisiana, Chef Kelly English fell in love with the culture and food of New Orleans. Equipped with his training from award-winning Chef John Besh, English presents a unique dining experience. Restaurant Iris specializes in French-Creole cuisine featuring local and seasonal ingredients. English infuses his endless creativity and passion for food into each dish. Whether indulging in his Oysters three ways, a "Knuckle Sandwich", or a dessert made just for you, one is sure to reap the benefits of English"s rich culinary background. We invite you to experience Restaurant Iris, simplicity at its most elegant.Continued
Please note: Due to the limited capacity of our dining room, we offer limited online reservation availability. For more information regarding availability, please contact the restaurant directly.
Please note: Due to the limited capacity of our dining room, we offer limited online reservation availability. For more information regarding availability, please contact the restaurant directly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Restaurant Iris - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
Restaurant Iris reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (148)romantic (119)fit for foodies (99)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (54)hot spot (31)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Reputation well deservedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014My wife and I came in for our anniversary. We had heard a lot of good things about Iris and were excited. I was surprised how incredible the food was. It is not cheap, but you get more than what you pay for. I am a very proud Memphian and could not be more proud to have this establishment in our city. The reputation is well deserved, but you will not understand until you have experienced it for yourself. We did do the five-course tasting menu. I recommend for first-timers to get an overview of the menu, as we go the opportunity to sample almost half the menu between us. The ambiance is cozy, but not overdone. The service is good, but not stuffy. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- 5 course meal was awesome.FoodiebydaysdrunkbynightDined on 9/15/2014I initially hesitated about the 5 course meal option with wine pairings because of price, but my wife and I each had different courses except one, where we shared (so 9 total courses). The wine pairing was picked well and brought out the wine and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iris exceeded expectationsCrowreviewDined on 9/12/2014We have heard the gossip that Iris was the best restaurant in Memphis. It is often tough to get in but we managed it last Friday and we were not disappointed. Pimento cheese stuffed picked okra, scallops and the surf and turf were huge hits. We topped it off with the bread pudding which is a must have. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for that special evening!mthammer11Dined on 9/9/2014I treated my wife to a fabulous meal at Restaurant Iris for her birthday. We had been looking for an excuse to try this acclaimed midtown gem for a while, and were not disappointed. I had the staple surf and turf, and it lived up to its' accolades. It was a "flavor bomb" from the first bite. My steak was a little overcooked, but that didn't deter me from eating every bite. My wife had the snapper (ponchartrain). Compared to my selection, her's was much lighter and more delicately flavored dish, but it was also excellent. Our only small complaint was the lack of chocolate on the desert menu. The bread pudding was good, but it's still not chocolate :) I should also mention that our service was excellent.Special Features:
- HarryDined on 9/9/2014Wonderful experience; easy to locate; warm welcome; very helpful and knowledgeable staff; food was outstanding and servings were generous; good selection of wine by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Pleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014I picked this restaurant for a post-engagement celebration dinner. I wanted something nice with good food to celebrate a special occasion. My fiancee and I were not disappointed. We each selected a glass of wine from the fair number available (I don't recall which wines specifically, but we ordered by the glass because we had champagne at home). For an appetizer we had the foie gras. I had never had it before and wasn't too keen on the taste, but she said it was pretty good for foie gras. For entrees, she had the halibut, while I had the surf and turf with a NY strip and oysters. I had one taste of the halibut, which was delicious, and my meal was very good also, though quite rich. We topped it off with the lemon cake and raspberry icecreamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Distinctive Offerings for MemphisCarmenDined on 9/8/2014Iris always presents cocktails, starters and main courses that are seldom seen in Memphis and everything is prepared and served "just right".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestBrianDined on 9/6/2014Simply the best in Memphis. Great food, terrific service. Truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in MemphissteaknbaconDined on 9/6/2014The food here is just incredible. These chefs really know their culinary craft. Out of every restaurant in Memphis, the mixture of flavors here wins. Definitely try the 14oz surf and turf. After a raviolo appetizer, it's easily enough for two people to share.Special Features:
- A Taste of New OrleansLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/4/2014Restaurant Iris absolutely exceeded my expectations. The ambience and food were amazing. I've been raving about it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigwesDined on 9/2/2014Without a doubt the finest restaurant in the entire Mid-South.Special Features:
- Memorable EveningMemphisFoodieDined on 9/2/2014What a wonderfule evening spent celebrating my wife's birthday. The personalaized menus for the table were a nice touch. As expected, all of the food was fabulous. I was personally thrilled to have a glass of hard to find Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon; an unexpected surprise.Special Features:
- Special Evening With FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Over Labor Day Weekend we had friends visiting from out of state. They love great food and are something of gourmet cooks themselves. They loved Iris and we had a fabulous evening with our friends. They were especially impressed by the variety of unique menu items you just don't normally find on fine dining menus.Special Features:
- angelAngelDined on 8/28/2014excellent food and service. very unique in nature.Special Features:
- very disappointingFrenchouillardDined on 8/27/2014The atmosphere is nice, the restaurant is quiet and you have some intimacy BUT the price is very very expensive for a poor quality of food. We were very disappointed and paid way too much for what we got. All the French meals on the menu are not what they mean. The foie gras is in reality a very cheap foie pâté (and you pay a lot for it!) And the desserts menu is very poor. We tried the frangipane dessert and it wasn't frangipane at all (and on top of it out was burnt). Overall too expensive for what they offer. But we are French so maybe we had too high expectations. Although I'd rather go to Flight or Texas de Brazil for a very nice dinner! At least when you celebrate your anniversary they offer you some complimentary drinks or desserts
- Expectations met and then someNottafoodieDined on 8/27/2014My wife and I had been looking forward to our night at restaurant iris for some time and it was worth the wait. Food was fantastic and service was excellent. Thanks for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My sixth time at Iris!1888severinklosowski1888Dined on 8/26/2014My grand total of all six times going to Restaurant Iris is 750 dollars! It was all in COINS! I feel like such a winner going to Iris and not a loser. It is the number one restaurant in Memphis, and that is the only reason why I go there. They have this place called the second line right next door to Iris and I will never go there because it is not the number one restaurant in Memphis, and I would not feel like a winner going there. When my friends tell me that Iris is a place for special occasions, like wedding aniversaries, birthdays, taking their friends, parents, or significant other, that makes me happy because that does not apply to me because I go there just to go there, to feel cool and i do feel cool, to be different, and a winner.Special Features:
- Great Grits and Knuckle Sandwich!martini59Dined on 8/21/2014We read about Iris and made our reservation about a month in advance. Then we saw Chef Kelly on "Knife Fight" (and won) and learned his signature dishes were his Grits and Knuckle Sandwich. The folks read our Open Table notes, that we were celebrating an anniversary, and sat us in a room which was romantic and they had decorated the table and the menu had an Anniversary Greeting at the top. Candace waited on our table and was very attentive and informative. Our meals were unbelievable! We asked if we could thank the Chef. Candace made that happen and we were excited to meet Kelly English and let him know how much we enjoyed our entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening at IRISklmerlotDined on 8/19/2014We started with the lobster "knuckle sandwich" which was excellent! (Should have had a repeat for the entree.) However for the entree, we had halibut. We asked for a substitute for the "corn and tomato succotash" which covers the fish. We ended up with Brussels sprouts. The fish came on a bed of spinach and sweet potato. The fish was a nice portion but was overcooked and not moist as it should be. The Brussels sprouts were lightly cooked and were essentially raw (like small rocks!). The spinach was VERY salty; the sweet potato was OK. We did not have dessert. I believe IRIS is totally overrated. There are MANY very good restaurants in greater Memphis with much better food at half (or less) the price. Forget IRIS!Special Features:
- Great place for a romantic dinnerDutchyDined on 8/18/2014I would rate restaurant Iris among the very best! Great place for a romantic dinner or to bring friends from out of town and show that Memphis has more to offer than great BBQ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "must" in MemphisRoadWarriorVIPDined on 8/18/2014Iris had a wonderful charm. The service and food were impecable. The foie gras appetizer and scallop entree was prepared in a very unique manner that had me wanting for more. As a person who is on the road every week and searches for regional gems to dine, I can honestly say that I will come back to Iris as often as I am able.Special Features:
- service was great, food okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Not sure I would go back, based on my experience. I just had a much higher expectations of the food. The german chocolate cake was obviously dry. The lobster sandwich was pretty good, but over cooked. My shrimp and grits were salty and the shrimp were over cooked as well.Special Features:
- Best Food in MemphisKpd40830Dined on 8/15/2014I'm from Louisiana and every bite reminded me of home. It was the best meal I have had since moving here. We had the pleasure of trying 3 different apps and 3 main courses. Every one of them were mouth watering and cooked to perfection! This is definitely a place to return too. Amazing expirence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jleniDined on 8/15/2014We went for a special Birthday celebration. There was a special greeting for my son printed with the menu and decorative ribbons on the table when we arrived. Very nice touch! The food was amazing, the service friendly and attentive. What more can anyone ask for? We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Celebrated a birthday, food was wonderful, surprised us with birthday candle. Great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iris Exceeds ExpectationsHappyCanuckDined on 8/14/2014We recently vacationed in Tennessee and Iris was recommended by someone as the 'must go to' place in Memphis. We were fortunate to get a table - and so glad we did. By far the best meal of our vacation - memorable, delicious food with lots of unique flavours and textures. I would not recommend this restaurant for people with small children but we have two girls aged 11 and 14 that are pretty adventurous eaters and they loved their meals as well. Book in advance though - with only 14 tables (many of them filled with special occasion diners), you need to plan this one ahead. You won't regret the choice....Special Features:
- Frenetic & Unattentive ServiceLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/13/2014Iris has great food and is a lovely setting for a night out or for something special like the birthdays we were celebrating. But it was a disappointing night. Our server was clearly experienced but had too many tables and seemed distracted and rushed. (Not her fault necessarily- more people needed? someone didn't show?) We waited quite some time before we were able to give our initial drink order, waited for bread and eventually poured our own wine. The server's rushing around inside this small restaurant gave off a frenetic, harried vibe which definitely detracted from the ambiance and our dinner. Very disappointing given the type of service expected for this level of food. Will give Iris a rest for a while ...Special Features:
- Foie GrasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I really enjoyed the food and ambience but I was thoroughly disappointed when I saw foie gras on the menu. Im not a crazed animal nut....I live with my husband and 3 sons that hunt deer, duck, squirrel, rabbitt, turkey...so it isnt about that the act of force feeding an animal for a food seems very inhumane and irresponsible.
- A Wonderful Dining ExperienceEJD53Dined on 8/12/2014Our server, Hiliary, was personable, knowledgeable and fun. Each dish was exquisite and the wine amazing. I will going back very soon!Special Features:
- YumDrh10Dined on 8/11/2014The raviolo was out of this world. We had the veel sweetbreads which were good but I wouldn't get them again but my husband liked them. The snapper was very good and so was the surf and turf. We chose very rich dishes and it was all a little too rich for me. Might make a few different choices next time we go! All in all this restaurant lived up to it's reputationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanielleW87Dined on 8/11/2014We were truly satisfied with our dining experience at Rretaurant Iris - We would recommend it to anyone. The place itself is so cozy, homey, and yet elegant. The location was an art in itself. It was so unique, so different. My husband and I are huge foodies and loved everything we tasted. We could not have been happier that we had choosen Restaurant Iris to end our last night in Memphis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at Restaurant IrisCACKDined on 8/9/2014Had a special occasion to celebrate, so booked a weekend table at RI two months in advance. It was a memorable evening. Our server fully explained the menu and never steered us wrong. A member of our party has a food allergy; because I included this information on our OpenTable reservation, the restaurant was fully prepared to accomodate this person and had even procured some specific ingredients for our party that did not include the allergen. Recommend: the lobster knuckle sandwich and the crab and tomato stack as appetizers. Favorite entrees were the red snapper, halibut, and trout dishes. The surf-and-turf portion is huge - be forewarned! Bread pudding dessert is outstanding - skip the dry chocolate cream cheese brownie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaysmoothDined on 8/6/2014We celebrated 2 birthdays. We had reservations but had to wait about 20 minutes but they gave us a round of drinks and it was really not the fault of the restaurant. The food was absolutely wonderful and we had very good service. Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Par excellence!uscanuckDined on 8/6/2014This was our first time at Restaurant Iris....reservations have to be made well in advance here due to its popularity but definitely worth the wait. We decided to try the the five course "degustation" as everything on the menu sounded delicious, it would be so hard to choose! We were not disappointed. Each course was fantastic and the wine pairings were spot on. The ambiance was wonderful and our table was nestled near the fireplace in the first room on the left. Our server was extremely knowledgeable and very attentive and friendly. The owner/chef also paid a visit to our table to ensure we were enjoying our experience.Special Features:
- Superb experienceRuff1Dined on 8/4/2014The food was very tasty. My wife loved the shrimp and grits. The duck was perfect. Lobster knuckles delicious. No downside to this dining experience. My wife was totally pleased with Dinner at Iris serving as our 30th wedding anniversary event.Special Features:
- Memphis GemBestDined on 7/31/2014I have to say once again amazing food and service. We took my out of town family to our favorite Memphis restaurant and they where amazed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this is my fifth time at iris!1888severinklosowski1888Dined on 7/30/2014my favorite part of restaurant iris each time i go here is my bill because i get to pay them in all six of the COINS! i actually enjoy paying my bill more than eating the food itself. i feel like a winner and not a loser when i go to restaurant iris because it is the number 1 restaurant in memphis, and i feel cool when going there. if it was not the number one restaurant in memphis i would not go there. if they would not take all of the six COINS i would not go there. i am obcessed with all six of the COINS, and love using them, because they make me feel unique, special, one of a kind. each time i go there the waiters say i am the only one in history who pays in all six of the COINS.Special Features:
- EonEondrnDined on 7/28/2014Great dining experience. Would go again when visiting Memphis. The steak with oysters was great and very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceBernieDined on 7/28/2014Great food and service. Our waitress Nevada was very knowledgeable about the food. We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and great foodBillDined on 7/22/2014We went here for a special occasion and received top notch service as well as amazing food. Will definitely be returning again.Special Features: