421 3rd Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://restaurantipo.com/
- Phone: 2253025541
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Restaurant IPO
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Restaurant IPO - Best Restaurants in Baton Rouge ›
Restaurant IPO reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (26)hot spot (21)good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (14)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (8)romantic (6)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Guests ravedkyleDined on 9/26/2014We were entertaining guests from Chicago, and they were most impressed. They raved about how much fun they had and that the food was wonderful. They loved sampling lots of items, and continuously commented on how good everything was; couldn't decide on a favorite. IPO is a great place to show-off some of Louisiana's diverse culinary treats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something a little differentIeatlateDined on 9/23/2014This restaurant has a regional yet diverse menu - unexpected and delightful combinations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suprising downtown charmerdebhallDined on 9/20/2014I was immediately impressed with the use of the space in this downtown Baton Rouge Eatery. It has a modern vibe and makes the most of the old historical building so typical of a downtown shotgun style location. Nice wine and bear selection and the menu offered several tempting items. We chose to feed upon the small plates rather than an entree. All of our selections were top notch: grits and grillades, frites with blue cheese, duck poppers, and bayou eggs. If I lived in Baton Rouge, I would visit often.Special Features:
- Great night outKALTADined on 9/5/2014IPO is a great place. A nice twist on the tapas theme. The food is very good and a number of choices. We had the crab, brie, and corn bisque to start and ordered four tapas. All were very good. The service was also good. Our server was pleasant ans made some good suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with clientBRFoodScoutDined on 9/2/2014Met client for lunch. Midway between our respective offices. Tuesday and no other patrons were dining at noon - they need more business!! Staff said hit or miss days. Food was tasty but over priced! 2 salads (1 with shrimp and the other with grilled chicken added) and an appetizer - $43 before tip (we drank water). Due a downtown lunch establishment - this place should have been busier. During our meeting - only one 4 top table was seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Salads delish. Butternut squash was terribly bland.Special Features:
- TOPS IN TAPASwebbbradDined on 8/22/2014We love to eat tapas style and love the TAPAS menu at Restaurant IPO. Always new options available on the menu and always very good! Also, they dont tend to cajun spice everything. I like cajun spiced food, but my wife gets tired of most restaurants around here just making everything cajun spicy... Desert options are always yummy too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014Celebrated them purchasing their building. Among our favorite spots. Once again, they did not disappoint! Guessing rushbweek started at LSU, cause the place was packed with beautiful young people seemingly right off sorority row. Therefore, the energetic noise level. Their frog legs special was particularly good. We'll look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Great Food, disappointing dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We loved all of the delicious food we ordered at Restaurant IPO in the cool downtown area of Baton Rouge! However, we were disappointed that our appetizers, salads and entrees all cam out within the same 5 minutes. The entrees got cold waiting on our table and it was just bad timing overall; the apps and salads should have been timed much earlier than the entree so we didn't feel rushed. Also, our dessert was really not good at all. We ordered a panna cotta, but it had too much gelatin I think. It was like rubber, and the side of caramelized bananas were burnt. Overall we liked the restaurant, but we felt rushed and the dessert was not great...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected better food choicesFoodieDined on 8/1/2014Too much fried food and not enough healthy choices on the menu. And the noise level from music and clients was too loud for me. I had to really raise my voice to have a conversation! I had just read about the chef and expected more upscale dining food but it was more of a cross between asian & fried foods. Loved the building in downtown BR but the noisw level was too much.
- BR'sBestAVD5Dined on 8/1/2014I have been eating in Baton Rouge a pretty good while and I find IPO my favorite. I love the food, the service is great and it's a good group of people friendly staff and patrons. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Food, Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014I used opentable to make a reservation for a party of 1, as I had noticed in passing how busy the restaurant could be. Upon arrival, I was asked to sit at the bar. Not a big deal, I made a reservation to make sure I had a seat. Seeing it was busy, and thinking service would be a bit quicker at the bar, I accepted. I was wrong. The lone bartender was swamped, and was our only server at the bar. The food tasted great (house salad, sous vide pork chop), but service was pretty slow. I understand it was busy, I'll give it another try and see how it goes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Not your conventional "meat and potatoes" kind of place, so be prepared to stimulate your palate with wonderful creative food combinations This place is superb and the variety is amazing. We went during Restaurant Week; I ordered off the prepared menu for the event and my guests ordered off the menu. I am so glad we did. Everything was exceptional. A little of this, a little of that, but a lot of delightfully delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck cracklins, yum....PixlamarqueDined on 6/28/2014I love Chef Varnedoe. If I didn't have the sexiest husband on the planet I would consider stalking the poor man in the hopes that duck cracklins would fall from his chef's coat. Everything we ate was excellent, the service was very pleasant and the location was good for walking around downtown. I highly recommend the duck poppers app and the downtown duck entree. See my full review on Yelp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulAllainsmynameDined on 6/27/2014There wasn't a bad thing eaten at dinner at Restaurant IPO. The food served is outside of the box and unlike anything else I've experienced in the Baton Rouge area. Restaurant IPO is truly unique and worth the visit. It was one of the best dinners I've had in Baton Rouge in quite some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonnieVIPDined on 6/6/2014food was very good, I had the shrimp appetizer and the strawberry salad, both were very good. the shrimp is a little spicy. If you do not do spice I probably would not order those. my friend had the tacos.. there were 3 but they were very small but he said they were delicious.Special Features:
- Anniversary Night OutMikeTheTigerDined on 6/4/2014Thanks to the staff for placing the pre-ordered flowers on our table, just as I had asked. First time at the restaurant. Good food and very nice service from our waiter. The restaurant was smaller and louder than I expected. Music levels were too high and prevented pleasant conversation at the table. We were bothered by fruit flies throughout the meal, which were very annoying. Should probably consider curtains for the windows to block the view of the dilapidated building across the street.
- DinnerBirthdayDined on 6/3/2014Good as Always, check out the Bar upstairs, skeet ball is the best!Special Features:
- The following 171 reviews are from the Restaurant IPO reviews archive.
- Enjoyable dinnerToddDined on 5/31/2014Enjoyed the food and evening, the small plates were great for sharing and didn't over eat, plus the service was better this time around.
- Delicious!FoodieDined on 5/27/2014I had almost everything on the menu. You can't go wrong with any of the tapas items. The bread pudding is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IPOBubbaDined on 5/24/2014I had the "slow pork". Sweet potato and greens base was fantastic. Salad was superb -lemongrass dressing. But pork was tough over cooked and disappointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2014Per usual. Perhaps our first visit since under Scott Varnedoe's tutelage. Fun, friendly & delicious. Love the caramel bacon popcorn treats, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LSU Graduation MorganBirthdayDined on 5/16/2014U need to figure out when u have a big night the service was vrry shaky, the 2 orders of grits and griaddes had no meat. I have spent a ton of dough at r restauran I was very disapointed each time I have been there ivhave brought and paid for a big group. I have was there in April with a big group for my wife's birthday and it was a little better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- POOR serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014We had to ask for the menus, then for the 'complimentary' popcorn which we were told they did not have. We ordered apprtizers and they came with the dinner. We had to ask other waiters to bring us our items because he was nowhere to be found. I honestly dont know where they learned to make mojitos because they were horrible, neither the mint or the fruit (strawberry mojitos) were crushed, also they were made with the cheapest rum available when they charge you for something fancier. I do have to recognize that the food was exeptional: the duck, beef filet, pork, and chicken w doughnut were among our plates, delicious.Special Features:
- impromptu date nightBayouGoatDined on 5/10/2014Decided to go out at the last minute. Used the online reservation system to get seats. Arrived and were seated right away. Our waitress was friendly and quick. Wine list is small but well thought out with a few gems including the 2011 Sottano we ordered. I had not been to IPO since chef wadsworth had left and was pleased to see the good quality it's still high. We ordered three tapas to share. Strawberry salad was good, but I would have preferred more cheese and less strawberries to balance the sweetness. Duck poppers came next. These were fantastic. Just a little bit of heat to tame the rich duck. We finished with the tuna martini. A whole chunk tuna salad with a spicy mayo sauce binding it together over popped rice. Very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingoscarDined on 5/10/2014outstanding as usual.our waitress was Jessica,very attentive knew the menu.we go at least once a month and have never been disappointed with any of the tapas plates.the new southern knocchi was excellent. although we do miss the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and Service!WorthMyReviewDined on 5/10/2014Everything we had was delicious. Our server was very informative and attentive. The Pequeno (redfish) Tacos, Southern Gnocchi, Rockefeller Risotto on the half shell, Southern Duck Crepe and the Bread Pudding Balls were ALL AMAZING! We will be back to try the other 5 or so items we wanted to try, but was afraid it would be too much food. Definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Food was good. Prices were on the high side. restaurant was hot. other patrons fanning themselves and sweating. staff had to see this but took no action to cool place off. when we asked our server if ac was broken, she said no. then it came on; but we were done eating and rather than hang out and have another drink, we couldn't wait to get out of there. too bad because the food really was delicious.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerHarteyDined on 5/9/2014Great place for friends or couples to enjoy good food and good company.Special Features:
- Second verse not the same as 1stunvrsty07Dined on 5/9/2014I visited here about two weeks ago and had an excellent time. Great service, great food, great atmosphere. However, this time was nothing to write home about. I could have gone anywhere in the city and spent a hundred bucks on dinner and been happy. The service honestly sucked and the food was not nearly as good. I was highly disappointed because I had such a great first time. Took a date there the second time and wished we would have gone somewhere else. Went from a legitimate 3 star restaurant to just a normal dining spot.Special Features:
- Baton Rouge GemvodvoxVIPDined on 5/7/2014I had the opportunity to visit IPO while traveling to Baton Rouge. How lucky was I? The answer to that question is VERY LUCKY. There are a number of great tapas-styled southern food gems to pick from. My appetizer was deviled egg with a fried oyster on top. Yum. My entrée was a duck leg with cheese grits, duck sausage and ducking drippings. Thank you IPOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and cold but goodmpws927Dined on 5/6/2014Not sure why you don't have an option of loud, but it is and also cold. we asked them to warm it up and they did for a wjhile but then it got really cold again. It's a nice place and good food.Special Features:
- LoveMelissaDined on 5/2/2014This was our 2nd time at IPO and we will be back. We love the tapas menu. The bread pudding dessert was to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing new. I tried to like it.SeiduleDined on 5/2/2014I expected something wild from these chefs. What I got was okay food. The gumbo was heavy on the grease. The crab bisque was good but light on crab. Not a huge strike, as most usually are. Yard bird was good, but wasn't explosive. The sauce was very sweet, which I like usually. But this was sweet to the point that I felt it cheapened and masked the flavor. The duck was the highlight of disappointment. The grits were lumpy and cold. The duck was soggy and not warm at all. The noise level shouldn't have been high, as it was 5pm. However, we were seated near the front of the restaurant and the meeting spot for the waiters and staff seemed to be at the front desk as they talked about stuff I didn't want to hear about (single people topics?).Special Features:
- A little loud, but food was greatlabirdgirlDined on 4/26/2014The atmosphere was very loud, but tolerable. When the waiter finally came, we each ordered a glass of "The Rule", salad and two tapas plates each. I loved everything I ordered. I had the heirloom tomato salad. The fried okra croutons were perfect with the dressing, but the tomatoes were red and yellow cherry tomatoes. I doubt they were heirloom. My first tapas plate was the deviled bayou eggs. I love a good deviled egg and this did not disappoint plus it was topped with a crispy fried oyster and delicious savory tomato jam with a hint of sweetness from the tomatoes. Next was the Peuque Tacos. The tiny flour tortillas were crispy and the fish was perfectly fried. What really set it off was the shaved fennel slaw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Amazingly Bad ServiceAJEatsDined on 4/25/2014Expectations were high & of course met in everything we ordered up to the heavenly bread pudding. BUT this place has to get its stock & service up to speed or it won't make it. Not everyone patient & tolerant. To break it down for you...Ordered drinks after 15 mins. at table-sorry out of bitters for Sazerac and juniper for martini; server takes both husband's unfinished drinks; wait, wait, wait; order several tapas plates n meals & ask to bring out some renowned gourmet popcorn-nope, out; when food arrives tremendously good (and so was my Ramos Fizz), server still not likeable. I was blown away by food and want to go back, but my spouse refuses and my girlfriend with us says third time strike out on service for her. Shame!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly outstanding food!alexVIPDined on 4/7/2014The southern tapas are extraordinary - a set of culinary masterpieces. This restaurant - on a street in the business section of Baton Rouge - would do well anywhere in the country. We had a wonderful meal - just right in every respect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBebacksoonDined on 4/5/2014A wonderful experience! The taste, the feel of the atmosphere, the service was all top shelf.Special Features:
- The duck confit was tenderTankgirlDined on 4/5/2014The duck confit was tender and melts in your mouth. The sauce was full of flavor. Smoked gouda grits were silky and creamy. Amazing flavor and textures in every dish. A foodie paradise!Special Features:
- Good not greatanonDined on 4/4/2014Good food, great service. Atmosphere is fitting for groups, double dates, or first dates. Too loud for a romantic outing. For the price I would rather a Le Creole or Ruffino's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.