230, St-Paul Ouest
Montreal, QC H2Y 1Z9Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantgandhi.com/
- Phone: (514) 845-5866
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 514-845-5866
A word from Restaurant Gandhi
Situé dans le quartier historique du Vieux-Montréal, le Restaurant Gandhi vous invite à faire un voyage dans l'est de l'Inde le temps d'un repas. Dégustez-y une cuisine indienne, doucement parfumée ou plutôt épicée, agrémentée à la Bangladesh. / Located in the historic Old Montreal, Restaurant Gandhi will transport you to eastern India with one meal. Enjoy delicately flavoured or full-blown spicy Bandladesh-style Indian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Gandhi reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)good for groups (19)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (16)great for lunch (11)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Very good food !SophiaVIPDined on 11/15/2014The shrimp puree and the onion are so good and the service is impeccable. We love it!Special Features:
- Indian food for a French paletteOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/11/2014The night we were there, I was the only customer with ancestry from the Indian subcontinent. That alone did not concern me. We ordered. Service was excellent and our waitstaff, mostly from Bengal where my ancestors are from, were wonderful. The food, however, was not authentic in my opinion. It was more bland and buttery, and even the naan seemed fluffy and French pastry-like. This was a disappointment because we had been enjoying French and French inspired cuisine for weeks and wanted a break. I shared this with the staff and they did what they could. They provided me with their achaar, which was genuinely spicey and well made. Delicious. And the masala chai was brewed in milk in perfect proportion with all the spices. They know what they are doing. Unfortunately, I think that they are doing it to harmonize with a French palette. It seems to work for the many happy customers they have and the great reviews that they get. I won't be back. I'd prefer a dive with a lot of Desi customers eating authentic spicy food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodsophiabonny88Dined on 11/8/2014We have been there many times and each time is a great experience. We brought friends on saturday, and they also were impress on the quality of food. We will return. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favourite restaurantDaveandJaneDined on 11/8/2014Gandhi is our go-to restaurant for special occassions. The food is exceptional, the service is great, and the ambiance is lovely. Couldn't wish for a better place to recommend to anyone looking for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Throughly enjoyable return visitcrazymogDined on 11/3/2014Have been to Gandi's on multiple occasions before and it was unusually quiet. However, in the nice cosy restaurant the service was great as always, and the food absolutely great. This is my favourite indian restaurant in/around Old Montreal. With the mixed starter platter, and garlic chilli chicken and sides, all hot, delicious and clearly fresh. The chillies were really hot though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening with my family!KatiaDined on 11/1/2014Went to Gandhi with my family this past satruday and we had a great meal with great service! It's also very well placed in the Old Port of Montreal for a possibility to go out afterwards. The restarant is not to crowded which makes it very pleasurable! I definitly recommend Gandhi!Special Features:
- foodaficionad0VIPDined on 10/29/2014Unfortunately the service is slow however the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not impressiveFoodietootieDined on 10/25/2014We we wandering through Old Montreal and came here. The service is excellent, the restaurant is spotless and the food was decent. I have tried Indian restaurants all over the world and this is a decent take of standard recurring items. I had Chicken Tikka Marsala and my dining companion had Bass in Spicy Curry. Both meals were tasty but did not leave a lingering impression. In a city dedicated to foodies, I would put this as an "we could always go to Ghandi if we cannot get into (x)" type of restaurant.Special Features:
- Maybe weekends are better here...MizJanieVIPDined on 10/20/2014Was in on a Monday when many properties in Montreal were closed but still it was quiet and the service was a tad bit slow. Sadly though, the main reason for the 3 stars was that the dishes were fairly bland compared to Indian in Dallas or London.
- Great food, pleasant atmosphere.Rene44Dined on 10/16/2014It is very difficult for us to find a restaurant which will accommodate our special vegan diet. This is one of the best we found in Montreal. The food was wonderfully cooked and presented, and the service was just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harlemDined on 10/12/2014Nous avons bien apprécié la nourriture. La cuisine est raffinée. Cependant, les portions sont très petites pour le prix. Il serait adéquat d'augmenter les portions. Lorsque nous y étions, le resto s'est rempli et les serveurs ne fournissaient pas. Nous avons eu nos plats mais il en manquait un et il est arrivé trop tard. Nous avions demandé des verres d'eau et nous les avons eu qu'à la fin du repas. Décidément, ils n'étaient pas préparés pour recevoir tous ces gens. Les serveurs étaient affairés, trop occupés pour prendre soin de nous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the fooddavidlDined on 10/11/2014We lived in the UK for several years and found it hard to find food equivalent to the taste and quality here in Montreal. It is a bit more expensive but the food is excellent and the attentiveness of the staff also great.Special Features:
- Indian feastfoodaficionad0VIPDined on 10/3/2014We have been going to Gandhi for several years now and we have never been disappointed. They offer a mix of very good Service, Food and value. Well worth a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1cookatlargeDined on 9/26/2014Great food, full of flavour but not overpowering. Great service, informative and knowledgeable. Right in the heart of Old Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We !ove Gandhi's!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014We lové Gandhi, food has been consistent over the years, we love flavour and they offer it. Good service, we even had Indian white wine which was surprisingly good. This restaurant has become part of our visit to Montreal each time we visit.
- Le meilleur indien à MontréalPoporoDined on 9/18/2014Pas le premier repas à cet endroit et pas le dernier car c'est toujours un plaisir d'y retourner autant le midi que le soir. Service efficace et plats très savoureux. Toujours le choix entre les mets peu épicés ou très épicés. Cet endroit présente un excellent rapport qualité-prix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome shrimp madrassambrVIPDined on 9/12/2014Gandhi is a terrific Indian restaurant in Old Montreal and I've been going there for a number of years. The food is always excellent and I adore their shrimp madras which is quite spicy and perfect and their butter chicken is sweet and delicious.Special Features:
- bon mais sans pluspatrDined on 8/29/2014Nous avons trouvé que la place était super bien entretenu, par contre tr`s cher pour ce que c,est ( un demi poulet tandori sans aucun accompagnement 20$) La nourriture est bonne mais pas excellente. Et le service laisse à désirer, pour un resto où l'on doit mettre une serviette de table sur nos genoux je m'attends à un service de qualité et non un où le serveur est trop friendly et nous tutois à tour de bras, et surtout oublie des partie de commandes....Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningChrisDined on 8/24/2014The food was delicious, the service was very friendly and even helped us out with some addresses. We had a very nice evening. Definitely a recommendation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, Incredible FindIndianMTLDined on 8/23/2014We thought it would be appropriate to have supper at an indian Restaurant after viewing THE 100-FOOT JOURNEY which BTW is an incredible movie. The food was simply succulent and the atmosphere superb! A fantastic location and amazing staff. We have had indian in many different restaurants in Montreal as well as at various locations in the UK over the years and Gandhi is one of the best we've had. Thanks for the great evening and we're looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousQuebecfanDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten at Ghandi on two visits to Montreal and have enjoyed it both times. The food is full of flavor and the service is excellent. We will go back on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014I have been there many times and it,s always very good and the service is excellent. If you like great Indien food you won't be desapointed.Special Features:
- adicovDined on 8/2/2014nice place, very tasty food. maybe on the pricy side, as there are many Indian restaurants in the vicinity with 10-20% lower prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who'd a thot!!FussyFoodieDined on 7/31/2014The Restaurant Gandhi is tucked away in a little corner of Old Montreal. It dosn't shout out its presence for all to hear. I am glad for that because when more people hear about this place, its going to be very difficult to make a spontaneous decision to eat there any evening. The food is outstanding. At my last visit, we were a party of seven. Looks like the Gandhi now has six more loyal patrons. Start off with the Muligatawny soup (ask for a bit of pepper in it). Follow up with the lamb bryani as well as the lamb vindaloo (spicy) to go with it. Garlic Naan is also great with the vindaloo. Oh crikey!! my mouth is watering already. Looks like I will have to take a drive this evening. Remember, don't tell anyone about the Gandhi.Special Features:
- The following 244 reviews are from the Restaurant Gandhi reviews archive.
- BeebeeDined on 7/26/2014Every aspect of our experience was great ! The checken tendery is kook in argile oven which makes it more delicious and not all Indian restaurant cook it this way !Special Features:
- authentic Indian foodfoodiegoodieDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellent! We were served with sesame crisp and 3 dipping sauce when we were first seated. The dipping sauce was really tasty! We ordered lamp curry and chicken masala paired with both rice and nan bread. Everything was delicious and the service was wonderful! Will likely to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itSonnyDined on 7/4/2014Had 9pm reservation. Got seated at 9:35!!! Why book a reservation. Food was ok...seasoning obviously toned down. Kinda blah! Our waiter was ver niceSpecial Features:
- Gandhi was wonderfulJMF1Dined on 6/25/2014We ate at Gandhi restaurant several times while in Montreal. The first time, one of our group asked for a special menu item that she had seen at other restaurants. The chef agreed to make this special item for her, which thrilled her to death. The service was top-notch and friendly. The food was excellent, with the level of spice that we ordered. The dessert ice cream with pistachios and mango was also wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014Where are the spices? It is nice to cater to the average guest but if you want something genuine, you better go somewhere else. You will find no Indians eating there. On the other hand , the service is the best I have seen in an Indian restaurant in Montreal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- gatineau883Dined on 6/13/2014excellent restaurant nous l'avons découvert cet hiver, et sommes retourné avec nos enfants apres le spectacle cirque du soleil. saveurs excellentes, et pouding aux riz exquis. MerciI would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything good except foodShashankDined on 6/10/2014Disclaimer - I am an Indian & thus very critical of Indian food. We were in Montreal during Formula One in June '14 & visited Gandhi after reading some online reviews about it. I went with 2 other Indian friends & we ordered a variety of items - appetizers, curry, lamb, chicken, matar paneer, biryani etc. Everything that we ordered was a disappointment. The flavor just wasn't there & overall the food was very bland. My friends shared my opinion. The food may be okay for someone who new to Indian food, who wants to try it for the first time, without being overwhelmed with the aroma/spices. On the plus side, the service was good and being in Old Montreal, the location is pretty good. The ambiance was fine dining, which is also appreciated.Special Features:
- Great foodwhitDined on 5/25/2014Enjoyed our dining experienced very much. Service was quiet and respectful. Would be happy to come again.Special Features:
- Great spotBobNHDined on 5/25/2014Nice location in old montreal. The service was good. The food was good, but definitely lacking kick. If you are looking for spicy, you will probably have to ask to add some heat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- succulaet et sympathiquealgoscaDined on 5/17/2014Nous adorons ce restaurant en raison de son décor sobre et de bon goût, son service chaleureux et surtout de la succulente nourriture qu'on y sert. Bon le mdi, le soir, la semaine comme la fin de semaine.Special Features:
- Chic et très boncariDined on 5/15/2014Très bon restaurant indien. Ambiance chic et agréable. Un peu cher pour un restaurant indien mais la qualité des plats est également au dessus de la moyenne.Special Features:
- Celebrating a special birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2014There were 6 of us in the group and one of the group was celebrating being 60. We had a great meal with great food and left to be able to exchange gifts and make the evening very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montreal's top Indo foodShoeDined on 5/10/2014Absolutely lovely location, great multi-lingual staff (English, French, Bengali, Hindi) and OUTSTANDING FOOD. Their Peshwari naan is hands-down the best in Montreal and rivals the great Indian restaurant quality of London, UK. The rest is on par with home-cooked delicacies prepared in the finest gourmet house of India. Bengali food at the peak of its powers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sublime poulet au beurrebilly1407Dined on 5/3/2014Ma soeur et moi adorons faire un détour dans le vieux montréal pour s'arrêter manger chez Gandhi, car ils offrent le meilleur poulet au beurre! c'est toujours aussi succulent! Le pain nan qui accompagne le repas est également trop savoureux!! Le service à ce restaurant est hors pair. Bref ca vaut le déplacement et on est toujours satisfaites.Special Features:
- Fantastic!AllydDined on 4/26/2014Beautiful romantic, restaurant. Service was impeccable and food was best I've had since leaving Scotland. Will be back! We go to montreal once a year on our anniversary and this is the first restaurant that has not disappointed me. Would highly recommend to friends and family.Special Features:
- Super bon! Service impeccableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014Super bon! Service impeccable par Said! Ça vaut la peine de l'essayer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.