18 York Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 5T5Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
SteakPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurant18.com/
- Phone: 613-244-1188x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 4:30pm - 10:30pm; Bar is open until 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our elegant open concept dining room, professional personnel with attention to detail and decadent culinary experience will make your event an affair to remember.
e18hteen also offers two private rooms. The large Wine Room private dining room seats up to 20 guests and the small dining room seats up to 10 guests. The panels dividing the rooms may be opened for a combined capacity of up to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Stephanie Cummins 613-244-1188x
- Entertainment: Coming soon
A word from Restaurant e18hteen
Restaurant e18hteen was named after its unique location in an 19th century heritage building in the By Ward Market Ottawa. Our adaptation of a Modern Steakhouse with a signature “Canadian Freestyle Cuisine” is a destination for local foodies, politicians, artists, celebrities and out of town visitors. E18hteen’s gourmet experience is perfect for the business professional, the socialite or romantic diner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Restaurant e18hteen - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Restaurant e18hteen reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)romantic (52)notable wine list (41)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- The final DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We discovered this restaurant on internet, looking to find a good house which could offer a refined menu and a large choice of wine specially french wines and we found the e18hteen.. The outside of the restaurant was very charming and inside was pretty, classy. We had a excellent and very attentive service. The menu pleased us So I recommend strongly this place !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Menu, First Class ServiceOttawaDinerDined on 10/18/2014Best dining experience I have had in a long time. The waiter was attentive and provided good advice about the food. My striploin steak was cooked to perfection and the sauce was excellent as were the mushrooms and fries. The food was flavourful and the wine was superb. All in all it was an excellent evening. I highly recommend this restaurant for its food, service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining TreatPaulDined on 10/18/2014Excellent restaurant, with great food, atmosphere and service. Went with the chef's tasting menu with the wine pairings. Five fantastic courses (with a couple of nice amuse bouche's), nicely paired with good wines. All the 5 courses ranged from very good to superb. Staff was friendly and helpful and did a great job explaining the food, which is important with these types of dishes. All in all, an amazingly good evening.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceBgoldenDined on 10/11/2014Great staff, excellent food, wonderful environment in a historic building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oddly DisappointingSimplyMijeDined on 10/6/2014Had the 5 course tasting with wine pairing. Sadly it was simply a serving of five items from the main menu. There was no theme tying anything together, no flavour surprises, and a dearth of vegetables. The pairings like the service, were adequate. Which is not acceptable at that price point, so not recommended.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Excellent food served by people who enjoy working together in a pleasant environment!Special Features:
- Making the team feel specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014I brought my leadership team for dinner and was happy with the outcome. You are one of few restaurants on the market that can create an atmosphere that says "thank you", "you are special" and "you are worth it".Special Features:
- Restaurant e18hteenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014An excellent choice for us for dinner. We are from Vancouver Island and were hosting a guest from Dallas TX. We all travel extensively and were delighted with the quality of food, wine and service we found.Special Features:
- Excellent Ottawa Star!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Stellar preformance. We had the tasting menu with wine pairings. The pairings were very well choosen to compliment the food. The food was very fresh and imaginative.Special Features:
- DisappointingMoonlightQDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant, while excellently decorated, was quiet when we first entered. There were only about 4-5 tables occupied, which should have been our first clue. We ordered 6 appetizers and 2 entrees to share amongst 4 people. Our meal was spaced out over an excruciatingly long 2.5 hour window. We had one amuse bouche, then waited 30 min for our first round of appetizers. Another 40 minutes passed before we got our disappointingly small appetizers. The soup was cold and portions were not worth the exorbitant price. Came away hungry and disappointed. Not worth it. There was little service between meals. It was almost as if there was one chef for the whole restaurant, which would explain why it took so long to serve 5 tables.Special Features:
- OutstandingMyselfDined on 8/22/2014Impeccable service, ambiance, wine list and food!!! A little pricy but still outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatChris44Dined on 8/18/2014We had the chefs tasting menu and it was out of this world! We were not rushed and it was a great dining experience!Special Features:
- A lovely eveningTomEatsDined on 8/18/2014Everything was wonderful about our evening except that our seating section was packed fairly tightly while the restaurant was not full. It helped the staff to have the bulk of clients in one area but it made for a less calm and romantic experience. The table we were given was by the ventilation system and was a little bit chilly over a 3 1/2 hour period (tasting menu). The chairs could also use a redo of the padding since the wood frame hits across the back of your thighs again only an issue after a long visit. These physcal details did not take away from the experience enough to ruin it but if they were to be improved on it would certainly make the evening flawless.Special Features:
- A Gem in the Byward MarketanightoutDined on 8/16/2014We loved the ambience. Best duck breast and steak/potato pave we have had in Ottawa. Lovely choice of appetizers. We enjoyed the tuna and roasted beet salad. Presentations were memorable. Service was excellent, not rushed nor hovering - ask for Adam. Found a South African wine that we enjoyed over 5 years ago and had not seen on a wine list since. Generous portions and finished with a latte (yummy!). Definitely return for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal at 18OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Four of us celebrating a birthday......as always, excellent non pretentious service with a very accommodating kitchen (food allergies). The food is always elegantly presented and tonight was no exception. Crab cakes, seafood pasta and pea soup for appetizers, all tasty and beautiful to look at!!! Mains, steak frites, cooked to perfection, duck....generous and again, perfectly prepared and halibut, a tiny bit over-cooked but not enough to complain. Our primary server was friendly, informative and accommodating. Not a single complaint in that area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second to noneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I went to this restaurant with high expectations because we had heard great things about it from friends. I was not disappointed! Service was attentive but not overbearing. Food was wonderful. Decore is dignified modern with enough space between the tables that there is plenty of privacy. Enjoyed everything about the experience and will visit again and will happily recommend this restaurant JB WichserSpecial Features:
- Best Restaurant in OttawaCarlaDined on 8/15/2014What a find ... amazing service .... and the food is outstanding .... a must place to go to when in Ottawa ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with wonderful service.TravelfoodieDined on 8/8/2014We had an early diner at "18". The appetizers - crab cake and pea soup were great. The crab meat finely chopped with wonderful seasoning. The pea soup had chunks of pork. It could have been warmer. For entrees, we had sockeye salmon and duck breast. Both were cooked perfectly with wonderful fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- overallCodyDined on 8/6/2014We were pleasantly surprised with the food and service and thoroughly enjoyed our evening. We live on the next street over and will return. We love our wine and did find many of the selections overpriced. The food was excellent but the lemon dessert had no lemon taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/4/2014Awesome restaurant - great food, great decor and scene even for a solo diner. I had the foie gras - to die for! Only thing that was off was the service - it was attentive and excellent but for a solo diner too long in between check ins. Will definitely return if I ever make it back to Ottawa!Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerPascalDined on 8/2/2014We wanted to celebrate our first year wedding anniversary and we were very satisfied. This dinner was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experience!OutstandingDined on 8/1/2014This was our second time dining at 18 in Ottawa and the second time that it was outstanding. From the moment you walk into the restaurant until the moment you leave the staff makes you feel special and they are there just for you. My husband and I both had an amazing romantic dinner, thank you 18!!! Best wishes, BarbaraSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceRLHDiningDined on 7/30/2014We celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary at Eighteen, and were totally satisfied by the experience. The service was exceptional (Adam, who we will request in future!), the food was cooked perfectly, and the wine & cocktails were exactly what we wanted and expected from a high class restaurant like Eighteen. We look forward to our next opportunity to dine at Eighteen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingtorontodinersDined on 7/26/2014food was average . steak was undercooked and halibut was somewhat tasteless. most items were over priced for the quality. server and the wine were the best parts of the meal. we had tried this restaurant after reading about it in a magazine....not a good choiceSpecial Features:
- Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014We enjoyed the tasting menu. It was a 5 course dinner and very nice. Our waitress was fantastic, knowledgable, friendly and not "over-the-top".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of the burbseastieDined on 7/25/2014Was looking for an upscale place serving lobster and steak for my wife and myself. Was pleasantly surprised as the food was excellent and the service friendly and professional. Nice spot, will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect night out.morg0116Dined on 7/22/2014I wanted to take my mother out for a celebratory dinner and couldn't decide on a restaurant. I picked at random off Ottawa's top 20 best places to eat and couldn't have been happier with my selection. The food was cooked perfectly, the service was beyond superb, and the ambiance was cozy yet sophisticated. I would recommend e18teen to anyone.Special Features:
- CatwmnDined on 7/20/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The steak was excellent and even my husband salmon was excellent. Service was well-timed and friendly. What's great is that you don't feel rush as if when you are done you need to leave. Everything was perfect. Thank yopuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOreoDined on 7/10/2014Very good service. Food portion inconsistent. Same dish served to the same table, one almost half the size of the other.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundMartyDined on 7/10/2014Excellent atmosphere, attentive service , food was outstanding. Certainly would recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, harsh accousticsBoomer49Dined on 7/3/2014The accoustics are somewhat hard at least for those of the baby boomer generation. I feel that the music could be left out as the sound circulates too much in the restaurant making it difficult to hear the conversation.Special Features:
- Worth repeatingAmateurDined on 7/3/2014Very good food, well prepared and presented by competent and attentive staff. Will return for a special treat even if expensiveSpecial Features:
- jemangesDined on 6/30/2014this is the second time we go and our food was undercooked... we are not going back there anymore. we used to like this place but it has really gone downhill eversince carmichael left. this explains why they were featured on groupon. the place was rather quiet and not as busy considering it was the eve of a major holiday.Special Features:
- A great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014We decided to go with the 5 course chef's choice (everyone at the table must participate), and we're glad we did. Each course had great presentation and most importantly tasted incredible. We started with beef carpaccio, followed by prawns and pasta, lobster, lamb and dessert. We also chose the wine pairing option, which was fun and introduced us to some great wine and a Greek dessert wine we would have never ordered ourselves.Special Features:
- The following 542 reviews are from the Restaurant e18hteen reviews archive.
- KatsDined on 6/24/2014While the food was outstanding, I found the service to be sadly lacking. The waiter was not attentive, he took quite a while getting to the tables and we felt like he was rushing us and not really interested in serving us or any other tables for that matter. It was very disappointing given the reputation of 18.Special Features:
- mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014Having been here before previously, we expected the same quality as we had previously enjoyed. Alas, on a slow evening our fish was dry and our starters did not win raves.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YorkFoodie22Dined on 6/22/2014Nothing but superlatives. One of the best dining experiences, and not just the superb food, but the whole experience, you will find in Ottawa. We had the blind five-course tasting with pairing. I don't even wish to spoil it by trying to find suitable words.. Not inexpensive but so well done; quality, quantity, design, localvore, FRESHNESS, attitude and knowledge. The servers and manager appeared to be enjoying it as much as we were as it was unfolding. Highly recommended if not out on a budget or if looking for something quicker before some other activity like a show. This IS your show as well as dinner. Aces. MarcoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in yearsSteeveDined on 6/22/2014We had reserved a table at the restaurant for a special occasion and we were really glad we chose this location. The menu is very interesting and there are only great options to choose from. We went the blind tasting with wine pairing and were really amazed by the quality of wines and services. There is always a special twist to the meals and they are masters at matching wines that enhance the food. It had been a while since we had such a great experience. We loved the wines so much our waitress prepared a list of the wines we had. I would suggest this restaurant to anyone looking for a place to celebrate a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing service and staff!jmbaniganDined on 6/18/2014we were married at e18ghteen three years ago and come back every year on our anniversary. The exceptional service is what drew us to e18ghteen as a wedding venue and they continue to impress us every year. When we arrived, not only did they remember us and our anniversary, they brought us complimentary champagne in the silver champagne flutes we had accidentally left behind on our wedding night three years ago! Although they have had changes in their chefs in recent years, the food continues to be excellent. I would highly recommend e18gtheen to anyone looking for a special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of my favouritesDiz2013Dined on 6/13/2014I live in Ottawa and have been to all the "good" ones. There are more and more great finds in Ottawa but e18theen remains one of my favourites - great for special occasions. The service is very attentive (had the same waitress we had the last time we were there - I hope they keep her!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.