301 Tchoupitoulas Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Central Business District
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantaugust.com/
- Phone: 5042999777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm. Dinner: Monday - Sunday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Brunch: Sunday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: and co-owner John Besh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
A word from Restaurant August
Opened in October 2001 with native John Besh at the helm, Restaurant August is the only restaurant to be awarded a perfect "5 Bean" score from The Times-Picayune in the past two years. Food & Wine bestowed Besh with the honor of "Best New Chef" in 1998. Gourmet magazine's Guide to America's Best Restaurants listed August in its top five picks in New Orleans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Restaurant August - Best Restaurants in Central Business District ›
Restaurant August reviews from OpenTable diners
334 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (263)fit for foodies (245)romantic (219)notable wine list (169)good for groups (57)neighborhood gem (56)hot spot (46)great for lunch (42)great for brunch (15)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Absolutely AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014My husband and I were celebrating our one year anniversary and came to August for the Prix Fixe Menu on a Friday for lunch. The service was wonderful and our waitress was extremely knowledgable. The food was hands down the best meal my husband and I have ever eaten. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DIVINE!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/17/2014Food superb, maitre d enthusiastic, ambiance perfect! Restaurant divided into smaller spaces which personalized the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014If nothing else go for the gnocchi, rich with black truffles but amazing. Filet & trout were both worth repeating next time as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceStudio416Dined on 9/14/2014Truly a New Orleans must. Great food,service and ambience. The degustation menus are sublime and the wine pairings are spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014Four of us had a very special evening at August this past Sunday. Excellent, friendly service along with fabulous food. One of the best meals we have ever had and we have dined at some of America's best restaurants. August is certainly one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014This was an amazing dining experience. From the service to the food, everything was first class. The wait staff is impeccable and the food goes beyond one's imagination. The flavors are incredible with unique renderings that truly set it apart. If I had a criticism it is that although the restaurant was wonderful to adapt a dish for my grown daughter who is a very picky eater, the charge for a bowl of spaghetti with red sauce (no meat) was truly over-the-top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014I was looking forward to dining here. I am sad to say that the appetizer foie gras was very salty and not good. The trout, which was recommended, was also not appetizing. I wish I had a better review.Special Features:
- Attention to the entire experienceCharlieDined on 9/13/2014The arrival experience sets the tone for the entire experience and Restaurant August has room for improvement. We arrived promptly for our 8 PM res to encounter three blank faced young women who didn't offer a greeting or a smile and then seated us at the worst table in their tiny back dining room although many other tables were available in their main dining room. The evening was saved by a table change and the excellent service of Mark and his partners. We visited four other wonderful restaurants while in NOLA and the arrival here was the worst. Pay attention, Restaurant August!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, lackluster serviceEatNOLAtilYaDieDined on 9/13/2014Upon arriving hostess gave us thorough look up and down and friend and I were promptly seated in back corner. It was hard to escape the impression that our visit wasn't valued, given that we didn't order wine (friend doesn't drink) and we came during Restaurant Week (unintentionally). Food tasted great but portions were small for dinner. At the end of the meal, waitress dropped the check without a smile or thank you and picked up the signed receipt while we were still sitting! Love Besh's cooking, but likely won't be coming back here.Special Features:
- The Disappointed to Disgusted 4OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014First time in New Orleans. Every meal up to this night has been from Very Good to Outstanding. We planned this for our last night. The appetizers were fine, but not up to the standards we'd been served elsewhere. The entrees were unbelievable. The lamb, fish, and the crab were basically tasteless, but one entree was inedible???? Three of us tasted it. Given the ratings I've seen for this place, there is no explanation for the food we were served. Every fine chef knows he/she should taste everything going out of their kitchen. Food this horrible would never leave the kitchen of most restaurants. I have no idea what went wrong, but I would never walk into this place again.........EVER!!
- Great foodNOLAFoodeeDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant came highly praised, and rightfully so. Food was amazing, service was good. Great overall experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- August reviewEatoutnolaDined on 9/12/2014Do not do the set menu for dining week. Portions were tiny, selections were pitiful and food was no good. Other than that, it was great
- Really GoodRickVIPDined on 9/12/2014We did some dining during a 3 night trip and it is unfair to compare, but as good as it was, it was not my favorite. The grilled sweetbreads were good, but I prefer them fried. The snapper was excellent with a very fresh piece of fish served with broth poured over it. The fourth person in our party had a small tasting menu that was offered during Restaurant Week. She was completely happy with her meal which started out with shaved zucchini salad and featured a rolled and breaded chicken breast that was then sliced into thin pieces. She had panna cottta for dessert and the rest of us had the mint chocolate dessert. Big complaint was the acoustics. It didn't help that our party of four was seated at a table for 6. Way too hard to talk.
- Indifferent, Arrogant ServiceBearcatVioletDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten at Restaurant August several times. Each previous time, the service and food were exceptional. However, this time, the service was about the worst we've ever encountered. Our server was cold and indifferent. The manager was more interested in hearing himself talk than in addressing our wants and needs. Neither attempted to chat with us. Further, each spent a good portion of the evening with his back to us, chatting with apparently VIPs at the next table while ignoring us. Each of us ordered an expensive three-course meal. At the end of the meal, we were given a small plate of mignardises and the bill with the terse direction to pay when ready. However, everyone else also got boxes of confections. Really bad service.Special Features:
- Friday Lunch Special MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I read about your Prix fixe lunches on Friday and decided after reading the restaurant comments that I would book for my wife and I from Canada for the next Friday on our visit to New Orleans. As it turned out my son had just proposed to his girl and I enquired about changing the reservation to four. Well we were all so impressed in every aspect of food ,service, ambience and joy of experiencing a first-class eating establishment. THe food was superb, well-presented and tasty. It proved to be a real celebration where we never felt rushed and felt like we were special guests. It was a real pleasure to experience this as part of our holiday. We certainly will be recommending August to friends and family and hope to return one day.Special Features:
- First Impressions4HisNameDined on 9/10/2014We are locals and took advantage of Restaurant Week 2014 to try Restaurant August; this is a beautiful space with much character. The food was quite delicious and beautifully plated. Unfortunately the volume/noise level in the "wine room" where we were seated was over-the-top to the point we just wanted the meal to end. The wait staff, although attentive, was perfunctory in how they served us; not personable but certainly efficient in their "duties". I am glad we went; but will try another fine dining restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingFrankieDined on 9/9/2014Although the service was great we were a bit disappointed in the food. It was very good but not as great as we expectedSpecial Features:
- Nice upscale restaurant.JpmcDined on 9/7/2014The ambiance was very nice but it is traditional with its dark wood interior. The food is French mixed with local flair. The waitress strangely tried to dissuade us from the fish because it might be too "out there" for our palettes. My wife was wearing a cocktail dress and I was in business casual, but granted no sports jacket. We fine dine quite a bit, but it seems like we were completely misjudged. My beef looked expertly made with a red center, but it tasted ok and dry at times - maybe it sat under a heat lamp for a little too long. Even though it was only a ribeye cut, I've had better elsewhere, but this is my baseline meal for every new restaurant we visit. The dessert was the highlight, and will go again but with sommelier pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!JoSuTaDined on 9/7/2014We are frequent visitors to New Orleans, and always try to mix some new restaurants with the old favorites. Our meal at August may well have been the best meal we have every had in New Orleans. A lovely room, attentive service, and an amazing meal. The price may keep it out of our reach sometimes, but it would definitely be our first choice for a special occasion and/or if the budget allows.Special Features:
- Amazing MealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014My boyfriend and I went our first night in New Orleans, and we were not disappointed! I am not vegetarian but chose the vegetarian pairing menu. My boyfriend chose the regular pairing menu. We both agreed that mine was actually the better choice overall, especially since our wonderful server allowed me to substitute one of the courses for the renowned trout dish. Amazing food and amazing wine with spectacular service!Special Features:
- Awesome dining expierence!!TheBirthdaygir36lDined on 9/6/2014Birthday Fabulous ! Wonderful service ,food and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible serviceChadDined on 9/6/2014The food is well thought out and put together. We thoroughly enjoyed everything we had. Unfortunately the service was so bad that we will never go back. While the waiter was friendly, he was as attentive as a sleeping dog. He did promptly bring us menus and asked about drinks, but it was all downhill from there. Once our drinks were ordered, we waited a good 15 minutes (possibly longer) before he came to inquire about our food order. He repeated it wrong to us, but did correct it. Wife ordered app as entree, yet it was brought out early and given to wrong person. Plates remained on table for long periods of time. It took 20 mins after our meal to even be approached, which we then finally asked for bill. We skipped desert as resultSpecial Features:
- Amazing!nolagirlDined on 9/6/2014This by far is one of the most amazing restaurants I have experienced in a long time. Not only was the service superb but the food was so good that this has now become my all time favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite for your taste buds..lisa65resDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant August is a delight for the senses. The presentation and flavors are just wonderful, and the combinations work beautifully. If you are a food lover this is not to be missed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deal for a great Friday luncheatndrnkDined on 9/5/2014We headed to August right off the plane after dropping our bags at the hotel. We had drinks at the bar and liked both the atmosphere and the décor. Service was friendly and prompt. The soft yellow dining room and chandeliers were very pretty. We took advantage of the Friday afternoon $20 prix fixe lunch (amazing value) and added the crab gnocchi appetizer. Our waiter and the rest of the serving staff were right on point. Spacing between each of the 3 courses was timed well. There's nothing negative I could say---food, drinks, price, service, location, décor, atmosphere were all wonderful.Special Features:
- One of the best in New OrleansBoadiceaDined on 9/2/2014I discovered August in 2008 when my husband and I visited it to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We visit it each time we are in New Orleans. Our most recent visit was for Labor Day weekend. The fried oysters, gnocchi and trout were outstanding, however the soft shell crab was a bit salty. I have a dairy allergy, and the chef made a special preparation of the gnocchi for me. Excellent service, ambiance and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureNOLArussDined on 9/1/2014I've been to August twice now (once for my birthday, and once for a friend's) and both times were show-stopping awesome. My friend is a vegetarian which makes upscale meals a challenge. Not for August. They regularly have a vegetarian tasting that is spectacular. Even if you aren't a vegetarian it will satisfy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulTinkerIIDined on 8/29/2014!!!The best thing I could say about this restaurant is...don't miss the opportunity to visit. It is outstanding.Special Features:
- MemphisBelleDined on 8/29/2014Chose August for special occasion - birthday. It was indeed special. The service level was personal - showing that they CARED that we had a very positive dining experience. Every detail was explained and we were encouraged to ask questions. While it was my birthday - we never mentioned that to anyone........and I only mentioned it one time in conversation to the table - not to server. When the dessert came out - a very artistic Happy Birthday was inscribed on the plate in my favorite substance..........chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic.ChrisTVIPDined on 8/29/2014Superb and personable service, mind blowing food, and one of the best sommeliers ever. Let the sommelier take control, she'll enchant and delight you with things you never knew existed. Just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceTomandtrishDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding service and food in a beautiful environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food HeavenLuv2dineDined on 8/29/2014Dining at August was an outstanding experience. The food was memorable in every way and staff were appropriately attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- jsalVIPDined on 8/29/2014Went here for Friday lunch. We had the prix fixe menu. My friend could eat neither of the 2 entree choices, and they were very accommodating and found him a suitable meat dish. Food was excellent. This is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfied localOpheiiaVIPDined on 8/28/2014There was an incident with another table acting inappropriately. We complained to our waiter about it and the staff offered to move us to another table. We took them up on this offer and we are glad we did! It gave us a chance to enjoy another room of the restaurant and eat our dessert without the other table distracting us. Great job by Restaurant August staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely way to spend a BirthdayDutchDined on 8/26/2014very enjoyable evening. attentive staff & interesting dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Food was very good. It was on my "special occasion" resturant list. I would definitely recomend this resturant for high end diners looking for a great meal. How come the higher price meals become the smaller the portion sizes become?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOccasionalDinerDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I chose Restaurant August to celebrate our 23rd Anniversary. I made arrangements for flowers to be delivered to the restaurant prior to our arrival and the staff was graciously accommodating. The service was impossible to top with everyone extremely friendly and helpful. Overall a wonderful experience we will be repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was great food was out of this world and service was just as goodSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!EmilyDined on 8/23/2014Our Captain, Randi, turned our delicious meal into a fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFinedinersVIPDined on 8/23/2014Restaurant August is a beautiful restaurant. The service is impeccable and the food is extraordinary. I highly recommend it for a fine dining experience.Special Features: