301 Tchoupitoulas Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Central Business District
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantaugust.com/
- Phone: 5042999777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm. Dinner: Monday - Sunday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Brunch: Sunday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: and co-owner John Besh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
A word from Restaurant August
Opened in October 2001 with native John Besh at the helm, Restaurant August is the only restaurant to be awarded a perfect "5 Bean" score from The Times-Picayune in the past two years. Food & Wine bestowed Besh with the honor of "Best New Chef" in 1998. Gourmet magazine's Guide to America's Best Restaurants listed August in its top five picks in New Orleans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Restaurant August - Best Restaurants in Central Business District ›
Restaurant August reviews from OpenTable diners
336 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (266)fit for foodies (252)romantic (225)notable wine list (174)neighborhood gem (61)good for groups (58)hot spot (49)great for lunch (43)great for brunch (17)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- First Impressions4HisNameDined on 9/10/2014We are locals and took advantage of Restaurant Week 2014 to try Restaurant August; this is a beautiful space with much character. The food was quite delicious and beautifully plated. Unfortunately the volume/noise level in the "wine room" where we were seated was over-the-top to the point we just wanted the meal to end. The wait staff, although attentive, was perfunctory in how they served us; not personable but certainly efficient in their "duties". I am glad we went; but will try another fine dining restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014Although the service was great we were a bit disappointed in the food. It was very good but not as great as we expectedSpecial Features:
- Nice upscale restaurant.JpmcDined on 9/7/2014The ambiance was very nice but it is traditional with its dark wood interior. The food is French mixed with local flair. The waitress strangely tried to dissuade us from the fish because it might be too "out there" for our palettes. My wife was wearing a cocktail dress and I was in business casual, but granted no sports jacket. We fine dine quite a bit, but it seems like we were completely misjudged. My beef looked expertly made with a red center, but it tasted ok and dry at times - maybe it sat under a heat lamp for a little too long. Even though it was only a ribeye cut, I've had better elsewhere, but this is my baseline meal for every new restaurant we visit. The dessert was the highlight, and will go again but with sommelier pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing MealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014My boyfriend and I went our first night in New Orleans, and we were not disappointed! I am not vegetarian but chose the vegetarian pairing menu. My boyfriend chose the regular pairing menu. We both agreed that mine was actually the better choice overall, especially since our wonderful server allowed me to substitute one of the courses for the renowned trout dish. Amazing food and amazing wine with spectacular service!Special Features:
- Awesome dining expierence!!TheBirthdaygir36lDined on 9/6/2014Birthday Fabulous ! Wonderful service ,food and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible serviceChadDined on 9/6/2014The food is well thought out and put together. We thoroughly enjoyed everything we had. Unfortunately the service was so bad that we will never go back. While the waiter was friendly, he was as attentive as a sleeping dog. He did promptly bring us menus and asked about drinks, but it was all downhill from there. Once our drinks were ordered, we waited a good 15 minutes (possibly longer) before he came to inquire about our food order. He repeated it wrong to us, but did correct it. Wife ordered app as entree, yet it was brought out early and given to wrong person. Plates remained on table for long periods of time. It took 20 mins after our meal to even be approached, which we then finally asked for bill. We skipped desert as resultSpecial Features:
- Amazing!nolagirlDined on 9/6/2014This by far is one of the most amazing restaurants I have experienced in a long time. Not only was the service superb but the food was so good that this has now become my all time favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite for your taste buds..lisa65resDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant August is a delight for the senses. The presentation and flavors are just wonderful, and the combinations work beautifully. If you are a food lover this is not to be missed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deal for a great Friday luncheatndrnkDined on 9/5/2014We headed to August right off the plane after dropping our bags at the hotel. We had drinks at the bar and liked both the atmosphere and the décor. Service was friendly and prompt. The soft yellow dining room and chandeliers were very pretty. We took advantage of the Friday afternoon $20 prix fixe lunch (amazing value) and added the crab gnocchi appetizer. Our waiter and the rest of the serving staff were right on point. Spacing between each of the 3 courses was timed well. There's nothing negative I could say---food, drinks, price, service, location, décor, atmosphere were all wonderful.Special Features:
- One of the best in New OrleansBoadiceaDined on 9/2/2014I discovered August in 2008 when my husband and I visited it to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We visit it each time we are in New Orleans. Our most recent visit was for Labor Day weekend. The fried oysters, gnocchi and trout were outstanding, however the soft shell crab was a bit salty. I have a dairy allergy, and the chef made a special preparation of the gnocchi for me. Excellent service, ambiance and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureNOLArussDined on 9/1/2014I've been to August twice now (once for my birthday, and once for a friend's) and both times were show-stopping awesome. My friend is a vegetarian which makes upscale meals a challenge. Not for August. They regularly have a vegetarian tasting that is spectacular. Even if you aren't a vegetarian it will satisfy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulTinkerIIDined on 8/29/2014!!!The best thing I could say about this restaurant is...don't miss the opportunity to visit. It is outstanding.Special Features:
- MemphisBelleDined on 8/29/2014Chose August for special occasion - birthday. It was indeed special. The service level was personal - showing that they CARED that we had a very positive dining experience. Every detail was explained and we were encouraged to ask questions. While it was my birthday - we never mentioned that to anyone........and I only mentioned it one time in conversation to the table - not to server. When the dessert came out - a very artistic Happy Birthday was inscribed on the plate in my favorite substance..........chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic.ChrisTVIPDined on 8/29/2014Superb and personable service, mind blowing food, and one of the best sommeliers ever. Let the sommelier take control, she'll enchant and delight you with things you never knew existed. Just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceTomandtrishDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding service and food in a beautiful environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food HeavenLuv2dineDined on 8/29/2014Dining at August was an outstanding experience. The food was memorable in every way and staff were appropriately attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- jsalVIPDined on 8/29/2014Went here for Friday lunch. We had the prix fixe menu. My friend could eat neither of the 2 entree choices, and they were very accommodating and found him a suitable meat dish. Food was excellent. This is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfied localOpheiiaVIPDined on 8/28/2014There was an incident with another table acting inappropriately. We complained to our waiter about it and the staff offered to move us to another table. We took them up on this offer and we are glad we did! It gave us a chance to enjoy another room of the restaurant and eat our dessert without the other table distracting us. Great job by Restaurant August staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely way to spend a BirthdayDutchDined on 8/26/2014very enjoyable evening. attentive staff & interesting dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Food was very good. It was on my "special occasion" resturant list. I would definitely recomend this resturant for high end diners looking for a great meal. How come the higher price meals become the smaller the portion sizes become?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOccasionalDinerDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I chose Restaurant August to celebrate our 23rd Anniversary. I made arrangements for flowers to be delivered to the restaurant prior to our arrival and the staff was graciously accommodating. The service was impossible to top with everyone extremely friendly and helpful. Overall a wonderful experience we will be repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was great food was out of this world and service was just as goodSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!EmilyDined on 8/23/2014Our Captain, Randi, turned our delicious meal into a fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFinedinersVIPDined on 8/23/2014Restaurant August is a beautiful restaurant. The service is impeccable and the food is extraordinary. I highly recommend it for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- The bestformernewyorkerDined on 8/22/2014Again, outstanding food, wine, and service. Captain and sommelier enthusiastic and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOLA VisitSanfeb10Dined on 8/22/2014We had a memorable meal at Restaurant August for our first trip here. We attended a wedding and the bride had suggested August. Dinner was excellent; everything tasty and beautifully presented. The veal sweetbreads, crab gnocchi and Ponchartrain Trout were prepared totally new. If I hadn't been so full, I would've ordered sweetbreads for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbDined on 8/21/2014Second time here in a week. Loved it so much the first time that we had to go back & do the tasting menu with friends before we left New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Our dining experience was fabulous. We were celebrating my wife's birthday & hoped it would be special. We were both totally thrilled with the entire evening. Our server robert was great!! Thanks August!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John Besh & team deliver!ClayBreadDined on 8/20/2014Go to the French Quarter to wander, but if you really appreciate food, wine & great service, don't miss this place in the warehouse district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarleyHarleyDined on 8/18/2014Restaurant August is my "go to" restaurant when I want to give my customers the very best dining experience while in New Orleans. They have never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used2bmy#1OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/18/2014My last visit to August (2012) had the best vegetarian "flight" dishes I had ever had. My sister and I visited August 18th and neither of us were impressed. The squash blossoms were very heavy and not very tasteful. My trout "Pontchartrain" was huge and after the blossoms, I didn't enjoy it nearly enough. My sister ordered the vegetarian "flight". Same opinion of the squash blossoms, another dish included an olive pesto (doesn't like olives) which she missed on the menu description, not another good choice. The next dish was a curried heirloom tomato and black-eye pea dish but it was SO SWEET neither of us could eat it. We commented to the waitstaff, they apologized but not removed from the bill. Service is impeccable, ask for Randi(y)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014Had the tasting menu - all spectacular courses. Great service, great drinks, great food. All around fantastic dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Food-Bad ServicePBGFOODIEDined on 8/16/2014I eat at alot of restaurants around the globe and I loved the atmosphere and food here but the gentleman we had as a server was not good at all and was way to stuffy-he needs to be at the Ritz as he never smiled and was quick and really did not want to discuss the menu-great example of good restaurant with bad experience with a server so not sure I would go back
- Simply outstandingRobmacVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful experience at August. Every dish was perfectly done- started with fried oysters, then I got the snapper and my wife the beef. All prepared beautifully, good size portions. Service is impeccable. And all in a stylish setting. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it's worth it. Easily one of 10 best restaurant experiences.Special Features:
- Simply GreatDisappointingVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food at Restaurant August was wonderful; it was the culinary highlight of our trip. The potato crisp P&J oysters should not be missed. The thought of the oyster dish is making my mouth water as I write this review. As amazing as the food was, the service was even better. Our waitress was charming, funny, and passionate about the food. She asked what type of food we liked then made recommendations based on our likes. She was always right there when we needed something but never hovered or was intrusive. That kind of service is an art and, other than at Les Ambassadeurs in Paris, I have never had better service. I will be going back to Restaurant August the next time I am in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014This was a great experience. The restaurant is beautiful . The staff were friendly and efficient . The food was delicious . Definitely one of my best meals ever. Looking forward to returning .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always divineMignon27Dined on 8/15/2014If it weren't for the $20.14 lunch I wouldn't be able to enjoy August's sophisticated food. Thx chef Besh!!Special Features:
- I can only give 5-StarsLindaJDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant August is my favorite place to bring guests. I came down from Atlanta with a friend and some friends from Missouri joined us for a luxurious dining experience. There is no better place to experience the food, culture, and ambience of New Orleans. Wish I could give it more Stars.Special Features:
- LovelyMindyDined on 8/13/2014Housed in an old tobacco warehouse, the ambience is elegant and romantic. Integrity of the building was kept, so that dinner which was delicious tastes even more elegant. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Special Birthday1fatguyDined on 8/13/2014Perfect dining experience to celebrate my wife's 70th birthday. Great dining with large attentive staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.