301 Tchoupitoulas Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Central Business District
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantaugust.com/
- Phone: (504) 299-9777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm. Dinner: Monday - Sunday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Brunch: Sunday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: and co-owner John Besh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
A word from Restaurant August
Opened in October 2001 with native John Besh at the helm, Restaurant August is the only restaurant to be awarded a perfect "5 Bean" score from The Times-Picayune in the past two years. Food & Wine bestowed Besh with the honor of "Best New Chef" in 1998. Gourmet magazine's Guide to America's Best Restaurants listed August in its top five picks in New Orleans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Restaurant August - Best Restaurants in Central Business District ›
Restaurant August reviews from OpenTable diners
376 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (312)special occasion (308)romantic (245)notable wine list (197)good for groups (81)neighborhood gem (81)hot spot (64)great for lunch (52)great for brunch (22)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- August is tops.JoeFDined on 11/24/2014Food is always awesome. Service is friendly and quite professional. Just a totally great experience. A must in NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. period.MrsLeBlancDined on 11/23/2014One of the best meals I have ever had! Everything was immaculately put together with a variety of textures and balanced tastes! I would love to go back! Thank you!!Special Features:
- RajBVIPDined on 11/21/2014An absolutely smashing meal! Warm and hospitable service. Excellent wine list. Reasonable tab given the quality of food and wine.Special Features:
- Top five all-time mealDylanDined on 11/21/2014Everything about August is first rate. Fine dining without stuffiness. The service was exceptional and everything we ordered was superb. I will go back every time I'm in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss thisCitydwellerDined on 11/21/2014What a treat we went for the Prix Fixe lunch and were so impressed. Didn't have time to get back for dinner this trip but will definitely be on our reservation list next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Constant example of the James Beard Award.ChefClydeDined on 11/18/2014The food is impeccable and the maindinng room displays what a southerm mansion should be. The wait staff is extreemly well trained. The bar has a full complement of botique cocktails and a great wine list. I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion!RobertVIPDined on 11/18/2014Had the Louisiana beef and trout for entrees - usually want my last bite to be of steak but in this case, both were spectacular. The stuffed blue crab for an appetizer was spectacular. The gnocchi was good but paled in comparison to the stuffed crab shell. Banana pudding for dessert was a taste treat! Service was excellent. One suggestion for the wait staff - fine dining doesn't mean it has to be stuffy. the bussers were pleasant and wonderful. the waiter seemed to think that cracking a smile was unbecoming of a gentleman. Smile! have a little fun with your customers if they start talking to you. Still, a wonderful experience and plan to return my next trip to NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatBozeDined on 11/17/2014We have always had great dinners at August. The service is impeccable and the menu has a lot of choices. Mainly, the food is the best! The evenings we have spent at August were the best,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably one of the best meals I've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2014We weren't hungry so we can't attribute how much we enjoyed the food to that. And, the meal just got better with each bite. We were not at all sorry for the price. It was worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic and thought-provoking foodPES2014Dined on 11/16/2014The food at August is interesting and inventive, featuring combinations not likely to be found in other places. A true foodie dream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- August prix fixe lunchpnsloriDined on 11/14/2014While the selections were limited, I really enjoyed my meal. The amuse bouche was a beautiful surprise of parmesan mousse in an egg shell. The bacon wrapped pate was a large portion with six different dipping sauces. The beef cheeks were a bit intensely flavored and very rich. The chocolate dessert amazing. You definitely leave full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Our table was ready and waiting when we arrived. The food was excellent from the gnocchi to the chocolate/coconut dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealjandbVIPDined on 11/12/2014This is an absolute gem amongst the typical tourist fare. The service was attentive but not stifling and the menu is small but has a good variety. I had a goat cheese and pear salad and the duck entree and my wife had the beet salad and the pompano. All were excellent. I rarely have the server pick a wine but I just wanted a pinot noir that would pair with the duck. Not only did he pick a good wine, it was a good price point and not the common attempt to up charge. We would go back in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really DelightfulAliceGVIPDined on 11/12/2014I ate here in February with my husband and son. I went back alone on a Wed evening. I had a wonderful dinner, I felt completely comfortable and well taken care of. They paired wines for me and answered all my questions. It was just delightful! ASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastefully terrificwimbVIPDined on 11/11/2014Besh is the best. I love all of his places here in NOLA. Borgne, Luke, Domenica, American Sector, Yummy.Special Features:
- Just WonderfulFrankVIPDined on 11/9/2014Had a late dinner with my wife and the experience was just wonderful. The staff was simply incredible. I eat out about 500 times per year and think this restaurant's staff ends on top of the list: attentive, knowledgeable, professional but not a stiff approach, interesting. Our waiter (Randi) was exceptional, as well as a Dutch-speaking colleague of hers (forgot his name). The food was fantastic as well. We enjoyed the flexibility of the menu and each had three different picks, so we could taste 6 different dishes (yes, we share food). 5 out of the 6 dishes were excellent, the sixth was very good (I felt the temperature of the meat dish was a bit low, although it could be because we took our time. Texture, taste and visual were perfectly fine). This was my first time in New Orleans and I always wondered how good the cuisine really is; I always read great reviews about the restaurant scene. Well, August sets the bar really high. I am looking forward going again and try different restaurant in New Orleans although we definitely want to go back to August as well. Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardVIPDined on 11/9/2014Arrived with big expectations...didn't quite hit the mark. Began with my dining companion's bar glass, chipped in a place which, if not seen by him, would have severely cut his lip; glass should never have left the bar. Crab appetizer was wonderful. Entrees and plates were neither hot nor cold, lukewarm. Duck and pompano were good...not special. Desserts were the hit of the night. Celebrity chefs need to spend more time in their kitchen(s) ensuring the dishes they create are spectacular even when they are not in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Over the Top!hardtopleaseDined on 11/9/2014Great for foodies! The Chopped Salad (all veggie) with the champagne vinaigrette was to die for!!! Duck outstanding! A must do for anyone who visit NOLA. Get reservations early! Love Open Table as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just faboulousLovetoEatDined on 11/9/2014Exquisite food. Outstanding service. Excellent wine pairing. Would love to go back again, many times over.Special Features:
- Incredible Anniversary DinnerUptownCoupleDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary at Restaurant August and couldn't have had a better experience. They had our reservation on file and promptly seated us at a great table. The courteous staff reviewed the menu and encouraged us to take our time ordering. We started with craft cocktails from the bar which we were excellent. We had the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. It was an unforgettable experience. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Very Good Food But Also Very PriceyAndyPDined on 11/8/2014A true fine dining experience at August. For an appetizer the handmade potato gnocchi, tossed with blue crab and black truffle was delicious, although a bit small. For entrees we had, breaded trout Pontchartrain with shrimp, blue crab, and wild mushrooms and the Gulf snapper courtbouillon with shrimp, blue crab, and jasmin rice, both of which were outstanding. Plenty of layers of flavor in each bite, and cooked to perfection. The only complaint I would have is that for the price paid, I would have liked more food. Certainly a fine dining experience, and one I would recommend, however I personally would have liked slightly larger portions.Special Features:
- August is Still AmazingEdwardVIPDined on 11/7/2014Great food in an amazing atmosphere! John Besh continues to innovate at this tremendous New Orleans eatery. Whether you chose the tasting menu or order a la carte, you will have an incredible evening at August!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bagArleeDined on 11/7/2014Beautiful space, but high ceilings made it very loud on a busy Friday night, almost to the point where we couldn't hear each other across the table. This was our third visit, and we couldn't wait to return, but it just wasn't as good an experience this time. Seems like at these prices everything should be perfect, and it just wasn't. I am a huge fan of John Besh from way back, but maybe because of his celebrity, August isn't getting the personal attention it did before. It seemed to me there is more emphasis being placed on presentation than the food. Also, at the end of our dinner, there were a couple of unfortunate mistakes, and, when such happens, it is impossible for it not to influence your experience.Special Features:
- A Besh Bucket ListerTravelValDined on 11/7/2014There were 10 of us for the Friday lunch and it was truly outstanding. Can't wait to go back with just my husband for a romantic dinner. Everything was perfect. It's a beautiful space and the service is impeccable. Everyone at August is very friendly. Our group loved every minute of it. We had the prix fixe lunch for $20.14 and I am sure my guests will talk about it for years to come. We felt pampered and very well taken care of.Special Features:
- Wonderfully consistently great!Italiangirl7Dined on 11/7/2014Had a lovely lunch on our way to the airport for our trip home. Our appetizer of octopus spaghettini was delectable. I tried the smoked swordfish & my companion had the beef shank, both of which were delicious. Dessert was an August version of "vinegar" pie which was custardy, sweet yet tart. This is our third time dining here & it certainly won't be the last. Service may be the best in the entire city & we've been to most of the top restaurants in New Orleans. Chef Besh really knows how to run his kitchen & his staff. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinung in HeavenVegasBlondDined on 11/7/2014The atmosphere bespeaks southern hospitality, charm elegance and graciousness. Each course was a special dining experience. The flavors were sophisticated yet recognizable and enjoyable. The trout was exquisite. If I only had one restaurant to eat at in New Orleans this would be it. Stellas was my favorite. Now it is August.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchSuperbanatorDined on 11/7/2014WE have had dinner several times and tried to get dinner reservations, but opted for lunch on a Friday. Excellent through and through. Thank you for your service, the food, and the overall excellence.Special Features:
- Everything was perfectSkookyDined on 11/6/2014Amazing and innovative food. Service was superb. I was extremely impressed by all the staff's attention to detail and ability to deliver perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific All AroundFoodiesDined on 11/6/2014The bar was wonderful and has unique cocktails. Our Service Staff was outstanding and didn't skip a beat. The food was fantastic and exceeded our expectations. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Good but not sensationalFoodieDined on 11/6/2014Some items were amazing, others so-so. Service energetic but a little too in-your-face for me, too loud and insincere (yes I know that not everyone's dream is to be a waiter but they do ok in a restaurant like this and could have been more engaged as opposed to "on"). Very pretty and very expensive. Three course meal (from a la carte menu) with wine--$150 per person. Wasn't worth it for me.Special Features:
- Best meal of my lifeJlesDined on 11/5/2014Food, service and ambiance were fantastic. Do NOT miss the gnocchi. Even if you don't like gnocchi, as I do not, it's the best thing you'll ever eat. Service was attentive without being annoying. You will regret it if you don't eat here!Special Features:
- The tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/4/2014Had the tasting menu of which the lemon fish cru and the lamb were outstanding. The spaghettini was ok and the octopus was very good. The dessert, essentially a deconstructed chocolate cake was fairly basic - the sweets offered with the check were tastier and more interesting. Overall a good dining experience, though I would opt for the a la carte menu next time.Special Features:
- A real treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014This was truly amazing from cocktails to service. The food was inspiring. I was in town for a conference and I think August is a must for anyone looking for a wonderful dining experience. I would come back again and again!Special Features:
- Best dinner in Nola.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014Fabulous food, outstanding service. By far my favorite meal in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food + service but not specialCTfoodieDined on 11/3/2014We have two chefs in the family, so when we go out for dinner, especially to a "fancy" or "upscale" restaurant like August, we have high expectations. Sadly, while the food was very good, it was nothing special, except maybe for the oyster appetizer and the trout. And the desserts were disappointing. As for the service, it was very good until near the end of our meal, when a large, rowdy table of drinkers arrived, and we became invisible to our waiter. Of our many meals in New Orleans, this was the most most disappointing. Will not be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/2/2014Very "foodie" food - fancy, small servings; beautiful presentation. Slightly unusual combinations.Special Features:
- Frickin Amazing!apastrychefsmomDined on 11/2/2014Every time I go back home to Baton Rouge, I make a reservation at Restaurant August. I love the the food. The Gnocchi crab dish is to die for. I could eat two of them. They are creamy little potato pillows in a wonderful cream sauce topped with crab meat. The trout was fantastic as usual and my lemon sorbet with the meringue lemon flavored pillows was a wonderful end to this perfect meal.Special Features:
- Open for BrunchSteakFoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2014Everything was fabulous, the food, the service, the decor, the ambiance. Best $200 brunch in NOLA.Special Features:
- Perfect!Lagniappe4everDined on 10/31/2014I was looking for a restaurant that prepared food that was unique to New Orleans, with great ambience and service. The food was delicious and memorable. The waiter did a fantastic job of explaining each course. The trout Ponchatrain was amazing; so, I will never need to try anything else. The atmosphere was elegant and romantic. The dining room was beautiful. My boyfriend's favorite drink was made exactly the way he likes it (which is rare). It was a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thirteenyrs13Dined on 10/31/2014It was just as wonderful as it had been on our previous visit 13 years ago. Large group in the next room were quite loud....but that seems to be the norm of late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.