301 Tchoupitoulas Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Central Business District
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantaugust.com/
- Phone: 5042999777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm. Dinner: Monday - Sunday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: and co-owner John Besh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
A word from Restaurant August
Opened in October 2001 with native John Besh at the helm, Restaurant August is the only restaurant to be awarded a perfect "5 Bean" score from The Times-Picayune in the past two years. Food & Wine bestowed Besh with the honor of "Best New Chef" in 1998. Gourmet magazine's Guide to America's Best Restaurants listed August in its top five picks in New Orleans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Restaurant August - Best Restaurants in Central Business District ›
Restaurant August reviews from OpenTable diners
352 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (278)fit for foodies (259)romantic (230)notable wine list (176)neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (61)hot spot (44)great for lunch (42)great for brunch (17)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014!!!The best thing I could say about this restaurant is...don't miss the opportunity to visit. It is outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Chose August for special occasion - birthday. It was indeed special. The service level was personal - showing that they CARED that we had a very positive dining experience. Every detail was explained and we were encouraged to ask questions. While it was my birthday - we never mentioned that to anyone........and I only mentioned it one time in conversation to the table - not to server. When the dessert came out - a very artistic Happy Birthday was inscribed on the plate in my favorite substance..........chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic.ChrisTVIPDined on 8/29/2014Superb and personable service, mind blowing food, and one of the best sommeliers ever. Let the sommelier take control, she'll enchant and delight you with things you never knew existed. Just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Outstanding service and food in a beautiful environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food HeavenLuv2dineDined on 8/29/2014Dining at August was an outstanding experience. The food was memorable in every way and staff were appropriately attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- satisfied localOpheiiaVIPDined on 8/28/2014There was an incident with another table acting inappropriately. We complained to our waiter about it and the staff offered to move us to another table. We took them up on this offer and we are glad we did! It gave us a chance to enjoy another room of the restaurant and eat our dessert without the other table distracting us. Great job by Restaurant August staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely way to spend a BirthdayDutchDined on 8/26/2014very enjoyable evening. attentive staff & interesting dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Food was very good. It was on my "special occasion" resturant list. I would definitely recomend this resturant for high end diners looking for a great meal. How come the higher price meals become the smaller the portion sizes become?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOccasionalDinerDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I chose Restaurant August to celebrate our 23rd Anniversary. I made arrangements for flowers to be delivered to the restaurant prior to our arrival and the staff was graciously accommodating. The service was impossible to top with everyone extremely friendly and helpful. Overall a wonderful experience we will be repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was great food was out of this world and service was just as goodSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!EmilyDined on 8/23/2014Our Captain, Randi, turned our delicious meal into a fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFinedinersVIPDined on 8/23/2014Restaurant August is a beautiful restaurant. The service is impeccable and the food is extraordinary. I highly recommend it for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- The bestformernewyorkerDined on 8/22/2014Again, outstanding food, wine, and service. Captain and sommelier enthusiastic and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOLA VisitSanfeb10Dined on 8/22/2014We had a memorable meal at Restaurant August for our first trip here. We attended a wedding and the bride had suggested August. Dinner was excellent; everything tasty and beautifully presented. The veal sweetbreads, crab gnocchi and Ponchartrain Trout were prepared totally new. If I hadn't been so full, I would've ordered sweetbreads for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbDined on 8/21/2014Second time here in a week. Loved it so much the first time that we had to go back & do the tasting menu with friends before we left New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Our dining experience was fabulous. We were celebrating my wife's birthday & hoped it would be special. We were both totally thrilled with the entire evening. Our server robert was great!! Thanks August!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John Besh & team deliver!ClayBreadDined on 8/20/2014Go to the French Quarter to wander, but if you really appreciate food, wine & great service, don't miss this place in the warehouse district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarleyHarleyDined on 8/18/2014Restaurant August is my "go to" restaurant when I want to give my customers the very best dining experience while in New Orleans. They have never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used2bmy#1OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/18/2014My last visit to August (2012) had the best vegetarian "flight" dishes I had ever had. My sister and I visited August 18th and neither of us were impressed. The squash blossoms were very heavy and not very tasteful. My trout "Pontchartrain" was huge and after the blossoms, I didn't enjoy it nearly enough. My sister ordered the vegetarian "flight". Same opinion of the squash blossoms, another dish included an olive pesto (doesn't like olives) which she missed on the menu description, not another good choice. The next dish was a curried heirloom tomato and black-eye pea dish but it was SO SWEET neither of us could eat it. We commented to the waitstaff, they apologized but not removed from the bill. Service is impeccable, ask for Randi(y)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014Had the tasting menu - all spectacular courses. Great service, great drinks, great food. All around fantastic dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Food-Bad ServicePBGFOODIEDined on 8/16/2014I eat at alot of restaurants around the globe and I loved the atmosphere and food here but the gentleman we had as a server was not good at all and was way to stuffy-he needs to be at the Ritz as he never smiled and was quick and really did not want to discuss the menu-great example of good restaurant with bad experience with a server so not sure I would go back
- Simply outstandingRobmacVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful experience at August. Every dish was perfectly done- started with fried oysters, then I got the snapper and my wife the beef. All prepared beautifully, good size portions. Service is impeccable. And all in a stylish setting. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it's worth it. Easily one of 10 best restaurant experiences.Special Features:
- Simply GreatDisappointingVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food at Restaurant August was wonderful; it was the culinary highlight of our trip. The potato crisp P&J oysters should not be missed. The thought of the oyster dish is making my mouth water as I write this review. As amazing as the food was, the service was even better. Our waitress was charming, funny, and passionate about the food. She asked what type of food we liked then made recommendations based on our likes. She was always right there when we needed something but never hovered or was intrusive. That kind of service is an art and, other than at Les Ambassadeurs in Paris, I have never had better service. I will be going back to Restaurant August the next time I am in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014This was a great experience. The restaurant is beautiful . The staff were friendly and efficient . The food was delicious . Definitely one of my best meals ever. Looking forward to returning .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always divineMignon27Dined on 8/15/2014If it weren't for the $20.14 lunch I wouldn't be able to enjoy August's sophisticated food. Thx chef Besh!!Special Features:
- I can only give 5-StarsLindaJDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant August is my favorite place to bring guests. I came down from Atlanta with a friend and some friends from Missouri joined us for a luxurious dining experience. There is no better place to experience the food, culture, and ambience of New Orleans. Wish I could give it more Stars.Special Features:
- LovelyMindyDined on 8/13/2014Housed in an old tobacco warehouse, the ambience is elegant and romantic. Integrity of the building was kept, so that dinner which was delicious tastes even more elegant. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Special Birthday1fatguyDined on 8/13/2014Perfect dining experience to celebrate my wife's 70th birthday. Great dining with large attentive staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JIMBOVIPDined on 8/10/2014fantastic food, service by Randi and the staff were fantastic! wonderful experience as always at August!!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationNurseWhitDined on 8/9/2014Absolutely amazing! From the architecture to the food and wine to the impeccable service! Thanks so much for making our celebration memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended!! 😆GEAUXJRBDined on 8/9/2014Food was excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating our 45thWWalkerDined on 8/9/2014We were at August to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary. When we arrived we were greeted by the staff as if we were old patrons even though this was our first visit. The web site describes the dress as business casual, I arrived with a tie but no jacket and felt a little under dressed. We ordered our appetizers and were surprised that they were at our table before we knew it. The entree was also brought out very timely. Everything was perfect. My wife had the trout Pontchartrain, I had the soft shelled crab, both were excellent. We are not dessert eaters, however the staff presented us with a dish of their famous banana pudding with a congratulatory message written in chocolate, beautiful. We will be back and do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodJudyDined on 8/8/2014Had a wonderful experience here. Everything was perfect! A great birthday celebration! The food was perfectly prepared, service was impeccable, wine paired to perfection as well. Will give this the highest praisees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded our expectationslive4foodDined on 8/8/2014From start to finish our meal at August exceeded our expectations. For our appetizer I did the Foie Gras 3 ways. amazing! Rod had the "potato crisp P & J oysters" literally this is the way a oyster should be fried, perfection! The main course. "trout pontchartrain" and "Gulf Snapper Courtbouillon" both were moist juicy and delicious. In the menu description the trout says breaded but it is more like dusted, it was as wonderful as any gulf fish I have ever had. The trout includes shrimp and blue crab in its components. It is heavenly! We had a wonderful waiter and he certainly added to our experience. This was our Anniversary dinner and again it was beyond fabulous.Special Features:
- Bad experienceFoodieDined on 8/7/2014We were celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary, several years ago at the beginning of August restaurant we went for the same occasion, and it was a excellent dinner and service. This time the food was not the quality of the food for the price, the service was very poor and the maitre D attitude was not the kind you expect of that kind of restaurant. I'm from Louisiana and frequently patronize restaurants in New Orleans, but John Besh better start to get more involved in his name chain of restaurants.
- QualitynotQuantityVIPDined on 8/3/2014Fabulous. We just returned from two weeks in France and this was better. Worth a trip to New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Event Destination DinnerYogaEMSprofessorDined on 8/3/2014I took my daughter and her significant other to August for dinner when I visited her in New Orleans. It was my first visit to the Big Easy. This was one of a small list of restaurants that my the two of them had on a list of "dream" restaurants. The restaurant is located just outside of the French Quarter in the charming uptown area; close to the Aquarium and Lafayette Park. It is beautiful inside and out. The menu changes and is eclectic with a wide variety of offerings. There is an extensive wine list, including by-the-glass and bottle, as well as many signature cocktails and liquors. Portion size for entrees is reasonable to large. Appetizers and small plates are fairly generous in size. Excellent service. $$$ $490/3 peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The tasting menu was excellent. Excellent place for fine dining.
- Can I recant my previous review?sep004VIPDined on 8/2/2014Just went back to August, and had a HORRIBLE experience. There were several large, loud groups seated around us. The server was rude and dismissive. Nothing was personal or special. I'm embarrassed that I brought out-of-town friends here when there are so many other great choices. Don't waste a night on August. The food doesn't make up for the service. Everything was covered in salt.
- Best food in town!ComeagainDined on 8/2/2014The food was exquisite, exceptional! Well prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.