301 Tchoupitoulas Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Central Business District
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantaugust.com/
- Phone: 5042999777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm. Dinner: Monday - Sunday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Brunch: Sunday Only, 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: and co-owner John Besh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
A word from Restaurant August
Opened in October 2001 with native John Besh at the helm, Restaurant August is the only restaurant to be awarded a perfect "5 Bean" score from The Times-Picayune in the past two years. Food & Wine bestowed Besh with the honor of "Best New Chef" in 1998. Gourmet magazine's Guide to America's Best Restaurants listed August in its top five picks in New Orleans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Restaurant August - Best Restaurants in Central Business District ›
Restaurant August reviews from OpenTable diners
336 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (268)fit for foodies (251)romantic (220)notable wine list (175)neighborhood gem (72)good for groups (67)hot spot (52)great for lunch (42)great for brunch (13)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Amazing meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014Everything was perfect with the service, food, wine, and overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, memorabledharmalisaDined on 10/19/2014The service was professional yet friendly and efficient. Although the restaurant was completely full, we felt very comfortable in the beautiful and spacious main room. I had the chopped salad. The vegetables were vibrant and tasted as though they had been picked that morning. The dressing was perfectly balanced. My aunt had the gnocchi with black truffles. I'm so grateful she let me have a bite of that bit of heaven. My entree was the trout Pontchartrain - again extremely fresh and perfectly balanced. (Think Le Bernardin in New Orleans.) I had a chocolate dessert with coconut sorbet. I would need to be a poet to describe how good that was.Special Features:
- Best meal we have ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014You can tell when a chef and owner take tremendous pride in what they do. It is reflected in their staff. Our servers were friendly, charming, funny and tremendously accommodating. They knew the menu intimately. If I could give our servers 10 stars, it would not be enough praise for them. Food. The gnocchi are like little truffle infused pillows from the hand of God himself. The complexity and depth of flavors we had in our meal were unmatched by anything we have eaten previously. I fear that all restaurants will pale in comparison now. If I could pick my last meal, it would be here. Dessert. Banana pudding. Southern Living voted this the best dessert in the South. Order it. Just order it. Worth the drive from Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome AugustgaryVIPDined on 10/17/2014Once again had a tremendous meal. The soft shell crab was out of this word. The gnocchi was superb. service was without a flaw. The servers were ther when you needed them. Thanks August!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently SuperbBirminghamBelleDined on 10/17/2014Three "culinary experience" trips to New Orleans this year, with a wealth of restaurants from which to choose, and yet no venture would be complete without dining at August. The atmosphere remains welcoming, the service consistently outstanding, and the food superb.Special Features:
- Perfect 40th birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014My sister's 40th birthday in NOLA was made perfect by the food, service, ambiance and complete attention to every last detail at restaurant august. Thank you to chefs and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice romantic placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Special occasion dinner for my sons birthday. We had reservations for 8, everything was great. The soft shell crabs were fantastic. The wine list was great and the restaurant was beautiful! Loved itSpecial Features:
- Great service!Luv2eatVIPDined on 10/16/2014Overall, great service and food. The waiter was helpful in answering questions and making food and wine recommendations. My water glass was always quickly refilled. Food arrived promptly. The foie 3 ways was delicious. The duck entree was also good, tender, and cooked to perfect doneness, although it wasn't exactly hot. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be??? Complimentary sweets at the end of the meal were a perfect ending to a great meal. The only negative was the less than friendly young lady who was at the front checking guests in. She seemed unhappy to be there, which didn't make for the greatest 1st impression when you 1st walk in. And it couldn't have been that she was overwhelmed as it was an early dinner, and few were in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Food ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/14/2014We had a great meal. This was my visit time at this restaurant and I thought the food and wine were fantastic. The gnocchi with blue crab and black truffle was outstanding. Little cloud pillows with succulent crab and the wonderful aroma of black truffles. We also had their Breaded Trout Pontchartrain......really great flavors. I can't wait to return to this restaurant next time I'm in town. Thanks for a great meal...!!!!Special Features:
- Last but not leastJkerrdogVIPDined on 10/14/2014Last night in NOLA! What a fabulous all round dining experience! The service, the food, the wine, the atmosphere! August hit this one out of the park! A party of 6 we were seated in a private room where we received timely (but not smothering) and knowlegable wine and food advice (& service!). By far the best outing on this stay in NOLA!Special Features:
- Fabulous!KendallVIPDined on 10/14/2014The front dining room is beautiful. Service impeccable, attentive without hovering. Gnocchi appetizer was amazing and snapper entree was great. Save room for the amazing desserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening at Restaurant AugustOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2014My husband and I had a lovely dinner at August. Considering Mr. Besh's reputation for foie gras, we could not miss this appetizer of trio bites. While are were very good, it was too small of a plate. We each had a small bite just to taste each way it was prepared. This did not just leave me wanting more, as all high end restaurants strive for, but left me wishing we had not gotten the dish at all. For entrees, we each got a different fish and both were prepared wonderfully. The charm of the setting is lovely and service was wonderful.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014Warm and attentive service. Spectacular food and wine list. Sommelier is very special. Loved it.Special Features:
- august a favoritefourlettersDined on 10/12/2014We returned to August after several years being away. As before it was very good and as remembered. A little on the noisy side. Food was good to excellent, selection was not particularly inspiredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experiencebordercolliegalDined on 10/12/2014The 5 course meal at August is more than just food. It is a food experience. It pairs different textures and taste in a food dish that you probably have not had before. The wine is paired with each course and it creates an amazing experience. I highly recommend Restaurant August.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceDan77Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent, well prepared food with a good a la carte selection as well as a tasting menu with suggested wine pairings. Even if you do not order the tasting menu you can still get the entrees a la carte, as well as order the suggested pairings as a single glass of wine to go with other entrees. Attentive service and competitive prices on the extensive wine list. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully BeshwimbVIPDined on 10/10/2014Best has become the face of New Orleans food for foodies. Can't get enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing...again!rbolenVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was my fourth dinner with Restaurant August and I can easily say that those four experiences make up four of my top ten of my lifetime! I'm not sure that anyone is blending flavors (even subtly) better than Restaurant August right now. From the salad to the soft shelled crab, every bite was perfectly balanced. While we go there to experience a special evening, the ambiance never pushes us into an uncomfortable place. Great work...and we will return!Special Features:
- Special occasion restaurantMolexDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant was very special. Food was exceptional, wine list was extensive and service was very good. We enjoyed the evening with good friends who were equally impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely fine dining.silverpalateVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had a truly enjoyable dining experience at August. The dining room is beautiful and inviting. The food was very good with the exception of my snapper. The crisp rice it was on was great but everything was cooked perfectly but the sauce/broth that was poured around it was too strong and heavy for the rest of the dish. That said, I would definitely return. Glad we went.Special Features:
- One of the best meals ever...AZJJR1Dined on 10/10/2014Very excellent food from the gnocchi and the oyster appetizers to the fish (trout/crabmeat) entree to the dessert. Fabulous food, excellent service, quality bar.......very, very positive dining experience. One of the absolute best.Special Features:
- NYC quality restaurantJimboVIPDined on 10/10/2014god I love no three hours from Pcola and how can it be so much better I don't get bitSpecial Features:
- SuperbtimjDined on 10/10/2014One of the best dining experiences I've ever had. Thank you for the amuse bouche & desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday LunchapfgDined on 10/10/2014We finally had a Friday off, so we took advantage of August's prix fixe lunch menu. My husband is pescatarian and no seafood-only options were available from the entree selection on the prix fixe menu. I, however, took full advantage. We both were very happy with our choices, and I kept thinking I was getting the deal of the century. My lunch was worth well over the price of the prix fixe. Both of us have had dinner at August several times, so we knew we were in for a treat, but getting a bargain was just the marshmallow on top of the banana pudding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingIdealGraceDined on 10/9/2014Fortunately, or unfortunately, this was our first meal in New Orleans and it set the bar very high. I can't think of a single thing I would change. The food was perfection, the portions just right. The service was exemplary and the dining room was a perfect blend of casual and classy. I can't say enough about the quality service. Our waiter was fun, friendly and very knowledgeable. He was always there when we needed, but never intrusive. We would eat here any time we visit the area without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than four years ago!louiseVIPDined on 10/9/2014Stepped off the plane and quickly made it to the restaurant, just a few minutes late for our 9:00 pm reservation. No fuss, nothing but a lovely greeting and we were quickly settled at a quiet table, as reequeted. In guidebook terms, "worth a detour". The menu changes seasonally - our choices were softshell crab and pompano, preceeded by the market chop salad. The signature "egg" was a creamy custard with pumpkin seeds and tiny corn kernels. It all seemed effortless, and we were off to in New Orleans style to a great visit with an old friend from college days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/9/2014In New Orleans for business and a colleague suggested Restaurant August and I must say it was the highlight of my trip! Everything was perfect about the restaurant, the ambiance, the food, the staff, etc.!! One notable thing was having a group with a lot of special needs and the staff was very accommodating and even went as far as creating a dish off the menu - although everything else was fabulous, that type of service goes above and beyond. I had the snapper which was awesome, others at the table enjoyed the pompano, the gnoochi...ohh the gnoochi is a must have!!! One other notable feature is the noise level in the restaurant was very moderate although it was crowded!Special Features:
- Everything we expectedMiniclDined on 10/6/2014August was recommended by a good friend, who is something of a foodie. We knew it would be terrific and it was. The service was excellent and my husband was thrilled with the recommendation of a new bourbon to try. We had the trout and the duck, which was outstanding along with the beet salad appetizer. When we return to New Orleans, we will try their tasting menu, sorry we didn't do it this time.Special Features:
- Worth the WaitMax1955Dined on 10/6/2014We have been waiting to eat at August for a while. An opportunity arose to be in NOLA and we jumped on it. The food and service were great. The soft shelled crab was fabulous as were the fried oysters as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Worth the hypeDenisecahiDined on 10/5/2014Headed to NOLA for a work event and wanted to set up a special dinner for a group of 6. Called a couple days before to add a person - "no problem". We arrived and realized we were a little under-dressed (some of us had jeans on) but no one gave us "the look". We were promptly seated and were introduced to our waiters (sorry guys, I forgot your names). Got great recommendations and service and the food was great - everyone commented that the trout was probably the best dish they'd ever had. We did lots of sharing at our table so we could all get tastes of everything. Very nice wine list as well. We had a fabulous evening - so much so that we tried to get reservations at another John Besh restaurant two nights later but couldn't get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion DinnerNeecyDined on 10/4/2014Service exceptional, food exceptional, would love to go back for Anniversary. Made us feel at home and taken care of.Special Features:
- Overall really nice but...SDExtravagant1Dined on 10/3/2014My softshell crab wasn't very soft, it was so full of cartilage I couldn't finish it. My boyfriend ordered the trout was lightly breaded and delicious, the hollidaise sause on the side was very salty. We were at August for his birthday so the main courses were a major disappointment. The gnocchi appetizer was absolutely incredible, the dumpling literally melted in your mouth, great textures and flavors. The desserts were excellent - the Meyer lemon and banana pudding. The service was very doting, but all staff seemed a bit rehearsed and all they all recommended the exact same dishes word for word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- August stands out in New Orleans!kwiderynskiDined on 10/3/2014There are hundreds of great restaurants to visit in NO - you never have enough time to eat at all the places you want. That being said - put August on the "must do" list. Creative use of regional cuisine, wonderful service and ambiance. Friday lunch price fix menu is an excellent way to experience this in a wallet friendly way. Also thumbs up for their cocktails - again there are a lot of opportunities to drink well in this town - but August is exceptional!Special Features:
- WowPherDined on 10/3/2014This was such a wonderful price fix menu on Friday that my wife and I made a reservation to come back for dinner on Monday night. The food was divine and the wait staff is completely on point.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed itSunriseDined on 9/29/2014better if they had sat us at a two people table instead of a table for sixSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbTennisgal22Dined on 9/29/2014Food was excellent, atmosphere was romantic and the service was very attentiveSpecial Features:
- #1 in New OrleansshakeDined on 9/28/2014In town for a trade show. August was our first night out and set the bar high. The food was excelent, the waitstaff knowlegable, professional, and went out of there way to make sure the dining experience was top notch. The rib-eye was excelent. Will be going back again and againSpecial Features:
- Excellent August in NOLAMichigandersDined on 9/28/2014Review Accolades for this dining experience were as advertised...exceptional service, presentation, quality, and ambiance. Will definitely return. New Orleans has lots of restaurants with great food. Not sure this one has a peer actually.Special Features:
- Close to perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014I have zero to complain about here. Service, creativity, decor all wonderful, but the food speaks volumes. Perfect. If you can, go. Favorite meal in New Orleans of many, many high end spots. We went for brunch.Special Features:
- DisappointedCasperDined on 9/27/2014We were prepared to love August but just couldn't. The service and ambiance are first rate but we didn't have anything in the menu that left us going "wow!"Special Features: