624 S. La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.republiquela.com/
- Phone: (310) 362-6115
- Hours of Operation:
Republique offers coffee, pastries & Viennoiserie Monday- Saturday from 8am until closing.
Monday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Walter Manzke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for any private dining inquires.
- Private Party Contact: Christian Philippo 3103626115x
A word from Republique
Republique, located in mid-city, is owned by Chef Walter Manzke and Chef Margarita Manzke along with their partner, restaurateur Bill Chait. Centered in the heart of Los Angeles in an iconic building originally erected in 1929 as Charlie Chaplin’s offices, which was then transformed into La Brea Bakery and Campanile, the restaurant builds on its storied past with its latest incarnation, offering the public a gastronomic environment of history and grandeur. The space will feature a casual bar and bistro in the front with a more formal restaurant located in the rear, both of which are rooted in French cuisine. Republique will bring a vibrant new dining destination to one of the most architecturally unique and beautifully understated locations in Los Angeles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Republique - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Republique reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (194)hot spot (143)special occasion (121)good for groups (102)vibrant bar scene (81)neighborhood gem (76)notable wine list (76)romantic (53)great for brunch (31)late-night find (31)great for lunch (24)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great French food experiencefdlvrVIPDined on 11/14/2014A beautiful old building, updated...wonderful updated French food in a contemporary, vibrant space...from small plates to mains...all deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loud!kpfourDined on 11/13/2014wonderful food and terrific service but way too loud with terrible acoustics--Maybe you just have to be young but it would behard to fo back there at peak hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite New Restaurant in Los AngelesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2014This was my second time at Republique in the past month, and it surpassed the first time. All the dishes were superb: we all loved the charcuterie so we had it again, as well as the oysters; we also had new things: octopus and shellfish with pasta negra, a lamb dish. Everything was delicious and the service was great. We had the same waitress as last time, and she remembered us! On a design note, I love the way the building looks--much whiter and more minimalist than it was in its Campanile Days. In candlelight, the interior glows, adding to the already wonderful experience. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2014There are few restaurants I LOVE in LA...and this is one of them. I will never turn down a dinner or lunch or brunch at Republique, and always leave with a full stomach and happy heart...(and lighter wallet). Definitely worth it every time.Special Features:
- doesn't get much better than thistummytickleVIPDined on 11/10/2014The really good restaurants usually have a couple of dishes that are really stellar, and the rest are perhaps (at best) very very good. Republique has reached the level where most of the dishes are stellar, and there are just a few that are at the very very good level. My only real complaint is that the restaurant really needs a tasting menu to show off the innovation that I think Manzke is capable of.Special Features:
- Always deliversFoodeeVIPDined on 11/7/2014Have been multiple times, have yet to be disappointed. Current obsessions include Cote de Boef, scrambled eggs & Uni on toast, any of their pastasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!RoyalFoodieDined on 11/6/2014The vibe and crowd were great!! The bar scene looked perfect!! The design and architecture was lovely!! The floor plan was well put togetger! Great wine list and the somolier was super helpful! Best baguette I've ever tasted- excellent food - pure deliciousness!! Right up any foodies alley!! I can't wait to go back to try the brunch and lunch menu too :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and undewhelminglagourmandeDined on 11/5/2014Food was good, but not extraordinary. The service was nice but a bit too complicated in the explanations. We were told three times that food is meant to be be shared.Special Features:
- Concrete & high ceilings2MundosDined on 11/4/2014Great food and great interior. The wait on the rack of lamb was a bit long, but well worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentstvooDined on 11/3/2014I love this place and I'm so happy it's in my neighborhood. Especially since the pastry case is now open for breakfast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfullafranceDined on 11/1/2014Wonderful food and amazing staff. I would recommend not sitting at the communal table if you have a smaller group as it can get really loud, especially if you are stuck between two groups. The food is wonderful and remember that their corkage fee is only $30!Special Features:
- ProteaVIPDined on 11/1/2014An enjoyable, different, dining experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2014Food was delicious, although the portions are small. Wines are very expensive. They should have a few bottles between $45-$60, and wines by the glass between $10-$14. Overall a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Good quality foodClaudeDined on 10/30/2014+ starters tartare excellent probably the best in US very nice salad combination as second starter and a filet mignon that was nice but not rear but medium done finally shared creme brulee revisited with choclate glace very nice not too sweet and melting choc cake a bit too sweet but a nice haselnut icecream, alltogether excellent food for a picky and spoiled European that I am - server not too familiar with liquor or winelist, not knowing how they fix a pastis for a french restaurant... I should have given my fillet back since not rear, the noise level was too high maybe more a place to go to for a younger crowdSpecial Features:
- From Campanile to Republique....jobimDined on 10/30/2014What a wonderful evening-- the service ( Deven was knowledgeable, charming and responsive), the ambience- understated and classy , the food- inventive and delicious( though some choices more awesome than others) Starters were our favorites ( truly a high point!)-- eggs on toast and Yellowtail crudo & duck mousse pate with chutney.The shaved White salad with hazelnut dressing was " cleaning" though not as special and then the beautifully presented and cooked Berkshire pork chop with pork belly Was a bit of a disappointed-- not as succulent as expected The creme brûlée was a surprise with ice cream but - only fair-- would absolutely try another choice next time( as their bakery -- bread and pastry looks fabulous) But we WILL return !Special Features:
- Loved This PlaceAlinaDined on 10/29/2014Republique is beautiful! Loved the vibe and atmosphere. They also had a great menu and I enjoyed everything I ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014Food was exciting. Noise level is very high. We loved the uni topped egg on toast appetizer. It's such an unexpected pairing of flavors, but it works. We want to return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Good but Expensive !Superproudfoodie1Dined on 10/27/2014Watch out for the wine list, if you are not aware, you could easily be ordering a $25 a glass of wine. That made our bill super expensive For the rest, great atmosphere, food is good. Some dishes are small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backtheonewithabowVIPDined on 10/25/2014The Normandy butter is amazing of course. The octopus salad and the porridge were so innovative and delicious.Special Features:
- RepubliquegobsnobDined on 10/23/2014The first time I visited this restaurant was its opening week and the fountain leaked all over the floor and we had to leave! Teething problems. The food is excellent as is the wine list and the ambience, I was able to book a table fairly last minute on a Thursday night. I will certainly visit again.Special Features:
- Happy VegetarianDavidRayJohnDined on 10/23/2014Although we love the oysters, the chicken, the drippings and the beef; we brought a vegetarian friend so we all eschewed meat. The salads vegetable dishes and pastas were all so good that we had one of the best meals here ever. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Our first visit and it was quite remarkable. Love the grilled Mediterranean Octopus.Special Features:
- Best Meal in weeksWayneVIPDined on 10/18/2014After bad experiences at both Scarpetta and Osteria Mozza the two weeks prior, it was great to have an excellent one. The service was perfect, the Dover Sole and Vegetable Lasagna were sublime. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- grumpyDined on 10/18/2014The food and service here are simply phenomenal. But if you go late when the place is full you can not hear yourself think. The noise level in the main dining room is just out of control. You have to shout across the table. And the lighting is so dim that people all over the restaurant were reading their menus with their smartphone flashlights. These are curiously odd notes for an outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal, I think ever!!!!jesse8bluDined on 10/16/2014I love how they transformed the space into a gorgeous yet very comfortable and welcoming place. the service was excellent from the hosts to the super knowledgable bartender and server. the food was delicious. every single dish had the perfect components with tons of flavor (Dover sole, yum). the wine we had complimented the food perfectly and the desserts were the perfect (panna cotta was perfect consistency)end to probably the best restaurant experience I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise ruins RepubliqueclaroneVIPDined on 10/14/2014Republique is a first-class restaurant with inspired cuisine, excellent service and a beautifully designed space. However, the noise level in the main dining area at the rear of the restaurant is deafening! There is no logical reason for this level of noise. They should cover some of the hard spaces (i.e. back wall and ceiling) with some kind of fabric material to begin to deaden the sound. Unless they do that I can't imagine putting myself through that again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014Creative menu, excellently prepared. Experience terrific overall, but a bit priceySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/13/2014Best restaurant I've been to in la. Expensive, but food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 different experiencesmnicolau7Dined on 10/11/2014Definitely a great place if you manage to get a table downstairs. I wasn't that lucky (even though i had a reservation) and have been offered a table in the upstairs area. Definitely not the same experience. However, it was an overall nice experience and definitely worh visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyAsheroooooooVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had a great meal. My server was great- helpful and pleasant. The food was tasty and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Friendly Vibe2Dine4VIPDined on 10/8/2014This was not our 1st time bringing friends to Republique and, once again, it delivered! The food is consistently some of the best in L.A. It's creative and fresh and, with a great selection of light starters, you can taste a lot of dishes. The staff, from the manager, to the wine staff to the bus boys are all well-trained and genuinely friendly. It's always got great energy and the bar is always packed with people hoping for a no-show so they can snag a table... probably a long shot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply FabulousSteakLoverVIPDined on 10/7/2014Came here to celebrate my birthday; the experience was fantastic from start to finish. The wonderful aromas we caught walking to our table were the promises of good things to come. From a beautiful heirloom tomato & burata starter to a yummy charcuterie platter and bowl of squid ink pasta with mussels, to a perfect chocolate cake oozing with salted caramel, the meal was simply fabulous. Service was warm and gracious. We'll be back!Special Features:
- What an experienceNY4foodDined on 10/7/2014From the moment we walked in for our 6:30 reservation I fell in love. Our server explained the menu very accuratly and was very knowlegable with all the questions we had. The food was on point especially the charcuterie and the duck breast . Our server gave us a tour of the building and went into the history, which was just incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Please just increase your prices was irratating knowing 3% was going to medical for employees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunnyNDined on 10/2/2014It was fantastic! Every time I go to Republique I like it even more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- republique c'est manifique.anneDined on 10/2/2014This was my 2nd trip to Republique. I've enjoyed it both times. My first visit was in June and the menu featured seasonal items. This trip I noticed that several dishes remain the same and the ingredients in the dish change with the season. Perfect. Don't miss the Normandy butter. The desserts were more to my liking my first trip. I will go again, can't wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- billchinVIPDined on 10/2/2014the food size was unpredictable and clearly needed help from the server. the tuna appetizer was a nice size but the brussel sprouts was very tasty but was huge salad for two people. clearly need guidance from the server if this is a first time. our server, Alex, was very good and helpfulSpecial Features:
- Food1Dined on 9/27/2014really fun... feels like a New York restaurant.... energetic and a very fun nightoutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Can't Wait to ReturnStevieDined on 9/27/2014I have always adored the elegant, historic space where Republique is housed and was a fan of its predecessor, Campanile. The service was fabulous -- an enthusiastic waitperson walked our table of four through the entire menu and her suggestions, all to be shared, were spot on. Plates were whisked away with efficiency (my latest peeve is when plates are removed while food is balanced on my fork) and new dishes emerged (some a tad slowly), each as perfect as the last. From appetizers through dessert, there was not a dish that wasn't perfection, and some, like the roast chicken (yes, chicken) were truly sublime. The only negative about the experience is the restaurant is noisy -- but who needs to talk when the food is so arresting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big ripoff!empressVIPDined on 9/26/2014noise was atrocious! Out of 6 dishes, only 2 were good. Escargot needed garlic; cauliflower/broccoli was tasteless and a waste of money. $16 for one mediocre shrimp was outrageous and beef hash had a weird taste. Beet salad and salted caramel chocolate cake were good, but not worth the risk of bad dishes among the good.