624 S. La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.republiquela.com/
- Phone: 310-362-6115x
- Hours of Operation:
Republique offers coffee, pastries & Viennoiserie Monday- Saturday from 8am until closing.
Monday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Walter Manzke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for any private dining inquires.
- Private Party Contact: Christian Philippo 3103626115x
A word from Republique
Republique, located in mid-city, is owned by Chef Walter Manzke and Chef Margarita Manzke along with their partner, restaurateur Bill Chait. Centered in the heart of Los Angeles in an iconic building originally erected in 1929 as Charlie Chaplin’s offices, which was then transformed into La Brea Bakery and Campanile, the restaurant builds on its storied past with its latest incarnation, offering the public a gastronomic environment of history and grandeur. The space will feature a casual bar and bistro in the front with a more formal restaurant located in the rear, both of which are rooted in French cuisine. Republique will bring a vibrant new dining destination to one of the most architecturally unique and beautifully understated locations in Los Angeles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Republique - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Republique reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (181)hot spot (138)special occasion (117)good for groups (97)vibrant bar scene (77)notable wine list (69)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (50)late-night find (27)great for brunch (24)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Our first visit and it was quite remarkable. Love the grilled Mediterranean Octopus.Special Features:
- Best Meal in weeksWayneVIPDined on 10/18/2014After bad experiences at both Scarpetta and Osteria Mozza the two weeks prior, it was great to have an excellent one. The service was perfect, the Dover Sole and Vegetable Lasagna were sublime. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- grumpyDined on 10/18/2014The food and service here are simply phenomenal. But if you go late when the place is full you can not hear yourself think. The noise level in the main dining room is just out of control. You have to shout across the table. And the lighting is so dim that people all over the restaurant were reading their menus with their smartphone flashlights. These are curiously odd notes for an outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal, I think ever!!!!jesse8bluDined on 10/16/2014I love how they transformed the space into a gorgeous yet very comfortable and welcoming place. the service was excellent from the hosts to the super knowledgable bartender and server. the food was delicious. every single dish had the perfect components with tons of flavor (Dover sole, yum). the wine we had complimented the food perfectly and the desserts were the perfect (panna cotta was perfect consistency)end to probably the best restaurant experience I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise ruins RepubliqueclaroneDined on 10/14/2014Republique is a first-class restaurant with inspired cuisine, excellent service and a beautifully designed space. However, the noise level in the main dining area at the rear of the restaurant is deafening! There is no logical reason for this level of noise. They should cover some of the hard spaces (i.e. back wall and ceiling) with some kind of fabric material to begin to deaden the sound. Unless they do that I can't imagine putting myself through that again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014Creative menu, excellently prepared. Experience terrific overall, but a bit priceySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/13/2014Best restaurant I've been to in la. Expensive, but food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 different experiencesmnicolau7Dined on 10/11/2014Definitely a great place if you manage to get a table downstairs. I wasn't that lucky (even though i had a reservation) and have been offered a table in the upstairs area. Definitely not the same experience. However, it was an overall nice experience and definitely worh visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyAsheroooooooVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had a great meal. My server was great- helpful and pleasant. The food was tasty and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Friendly Vibe2Dine4VIPDined on 10/8/2014This was not our 1st time bringing friends to Republique and, once again, it delivered! The food is consistently some of the best in L.A. It's creative and fresh and, with a great selection of light starters, you can taste a lot of dishes. The staff, from the manager, to the wine staff to the bus boys are all well-trained and genuinely friendly. It's always got great energy and the bar is always packed with people hoping for a no-show so they can snag a table... probably a long shot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply FabulousSteakLoverVIPDined on 10/7/2014Came here to celebrate my birthday; the experience was fantastic from start to finish. The wonderful aromas we caught walking to our table were the promises of good things to come. From a beautiful heirloom tomato & burata starter to a yummy charcuterie platter and bowl of squid ink pasta with mussels, to a perfect chocolate cake oozing with salted caramel, the meal was simply fabulous. Service was warm and gracious. We'll be back!Special Features:
- What an experienceNY4foodDined on 10/7/2014From the moment we walked in for our 6:30 reservation I fell in love. Our server explained the menu very accuratly and was very knowlegable with all the questions we had. The food was on point especially the charcuterie and the duck breast . Our server gave us a tour of the building and went into the history, which was just incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunnyNDined on 10/2/2014It was fantastic! Every time I go to Republique I like it even more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- republique c'est manifique.anneDined on 10/2/2014This was my 2nd trip to Republique. I've enjoyed it both times. My first visit was in June and the menu featured seasonal items. This trip I noticed that several dishes remain the same and the ingredients in the dish change with the season. Perfect. Don't miss the Normandy butter. The desserts were more to my liking my first trip. I will go again, can't wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- billchinVIPDined on 10/2/2014the food size was unpredictable and clearly needed help from the server. the tuna appetizer was a nice size but the brussel sprouts was very tasty but was huge salad for two people. clearly need guidance from the server if this is a first time. our server, Alex, was very good and helpfulSpecial Features:
- Food1Dined on 9/27/2014really fun... feels like a New York restaurant.... energetic and a very fun nightoutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Can't Wait to ReturnStevieDined on 9/27/2014I have always adored the elegant, historic space where Republique is housed and was a fan of its predecessor, Campanile. The service was fabulous -- an enthusiastic waitperson walked our table of four through the entire menu and her suggestions, all to be shared, were spot on. Plates were whisked away with efficiency (my latest peeve is when plates are removed while food is balanced on my fork) and new dishes emerged (some a tad slowly), each as perfect as the last. From appetizers through dessert, there was not a dish that wasn't perfection, and some, like the roast chicken (yes, chicken) were truly sublime. The only negative about the experience is the restaurant is noisy -- but who needs to talk when the food is so arresting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big ripoff!empressVIPDined on 9/26/2014noise was atrocious! Out of 6 dishes, only 2 were good. Escargot needed garlic; cauliflower/broccoli was tasteless and a waste of money. $16 for one mediocre shrimp was outrageous and beef hash had a weird taste. Beet salad and salted caramel chocolate cake were good, but not worth the risk of bad dishes among the good.
- A fine timelipsmaxinDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I dined early so noise level was ok. Food and service was very good and each dish was satisfying. All employees we encountered were very friendly. We had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stools!!susanVIPDined on 9/24/2014I do not want to pay for an expensive dinner and sit on a stool for several hours. Very uncomfortableSpecial Features:
- SuperbSSSMDined on 9/24/2014Service and food are impeccable. I was absolutely delighted that the restaurant lives up to its reputation. It does get hard to hear across the table as soon as the restaurant fills up and it was jammed by the time we left, so it was indeed exceptionally noisy. Parking isn't as efficient as it might be but this is quite the hotspot and, i suppose, minor inconveniences are to be expected.Special Features:
- Fine dining with a rustic charmREBBVIPDined on 9/22/2014Pricey, sure. Noisy. Very. But the food and service more than make up the total experience. Ease up on the bread and save room for dessert. One of the definite highlights of the meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Great ambiance full of energy and the food was greatSpecial Features:
- Visit to RepubliqueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014THe food is absolutely tastey. However, the seating is not comfortable. The noise level is very high and you are not able to hear your company talking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place, Great Foodamp4279VIPDined on 9/20/2014Republique is a must, both for the wonderful interior architecture and ambiance (fresh baked loaves stacked in the bakery area, an open kitchen, giant bread ovens next to the tables) as well as for the incredible food. You can't go wrong, especially if you order and share family-style!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Dining ExperiencekceatsDined on 9/19/2014Took my husband for his birthday. Each course (oysters, Hamachi crudo, Brussels sprout salad, duck breast, dessert) and the wine was excellent. The flavors and textures danced well together, and the portions were satisfying without stuffing us to the point we couldn't enjoy the next course. When we first walked in and were seated at one of the long tables with place settings just inches apart, I was worried that it would be too noisy and impersonal to be able to enjoy dinner as a couple. As it turned out, no one was seated at the settings right next to us, and the noise level was surprisingly moderate given the high ceiling and crowd. Service was first rate; our waiter guided us in our selections to choices that matched our tastes to a tee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total lack of personnal attentionGrumpyDined on 9/19/2014The dishes never arrived so we could eat our diner at same time the owner proposed a cake so we could at least finish in synch and charged us for it . Our waiter was really sorry but the owner definitively did not care. So many other good places in L A thanks god!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedSassodoroVIPDined on 9/19/2014A great historic space, ruined by greed (the need to pack together as many tables as possible), a lack of sensitivity to the architectural syntax (remuddling) and generally poor taste. And the food is completely average given the pricing.
- Great Place!kpfourDined on 9/19/2014Very nice atmosphere and great food-french with a modern twist. Sharing dishes. We let the waiter order for us and it was delicious. Did not like the squash past athough--too sweet! Would go back in a second-great for oysters.Special Features:
- Do not miss!Sharon08VIPDined on 9/17/2014Republique is a wonderful Los Angeles restaurant. Upon entering the restaurant we were greeted by friendly hostesses. We were seated across from one of the three open kitchens. Our server, Adrienne, was knowledgable, professional and provided us with took notch service. It was our first visit to the restaurant and we ordered according to Adrienne's recommendations. All of the dishes were phenomenal! We plan to return to Republique soon. There is valet parking available.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/16/2014Lovely and delicious and we will return often. Adam was a bright, friendly and knowledgable waiter. The chicken was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Republiquejeffpalm29Dined on 9/16/2014We had tried the breakfast/lunch offerings when the restaurant first opened and were pleased. Decided that dinner was a must and we are very pleased to have this place in the neighborhood. Our main course was excellent and the portions allowed sharing of tastes. Every item ordered was a pleasant enhancement of what we had anticipated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Truly amazing. Can't wait for another special occasion to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very different kind of restaurantBandiVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had been to Republique once for lunch and once for dinner. At lunch Walter's favorite (poached eggs) was super yummy,the burger is the best anywhere and the fries are the crispest imaginable. At dinner we had 6 small plates .Escargot, finest anywhere,soft shell crabs tempura fried,uni with scramble ,alsatian tart, cheese plate were all outstanding. We did not order any main courses ,small plates looked far more interesting. Prices are high for food and ridiculously high for wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but warm neighborhood findNileDined on 9/8/2014I like everything about republique, and it's ambiance is flexible from romantic to group casual drink and dining. Food and service, the best around. Pricey? Yes, so it's hard to go there with great regularity, but also, don't need to wait for special occasion only! If you don't like noise, going early or late, late helps, but they can also try to tuck you away to one of the more quiet spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most amazing beef so far in LAlyndyncDined on 9/6/2014I have lived in LA for a year and have tried several different restaurants and this by far has the best rib eye steak I have tried all year. The food was absolutely amazing. We got a great wine pairing recommendation. The bread and butter were also out of this world. Lamb chops were amazing. The only thing that prevents me from giving it 5 stars was the service. Our server was very rude, she made expressions of being upset because we asked her to split the check differently than down the middle and because we asked for coffee and a to go box. She never got me the box. Also, the music was not pleasant at all. The place is a french old meet new style to it and they were playing hip hop, rock and rap from the 80s??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but greatrmatVIPDined on 9/5/2014Noisy and energetic so if you are looking for a romantic location this is no good. It's a fun atmosphere. Expensive - dinner for two was about $260. The spot prawns and soft shell crab were amazing. The portions for Appetizers are super small just enough for one. The main course portions are larger and meant to be shared. We had the oxtail pasta which was delicious and the rotisserie chicken which was delicious. We took most of the chicken to go. And we had the decadent chocolate cake to share - it was amazing but we were full and it was wasted. I had two glasses of white which was $22 per glass. This should give you a good idea of what the menu is like and pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePkammieDined on 9/5/2014The setting and wide options allows a guest to experience a wide range of tastes and textures. Beware of ordering too much. Dishes may be on the smaller dies but rich and filling. My only disappointment: a high $30 corkage fee and ridiculous health care fee. I reduced my tip by that amount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but overpricedsearatDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed our meal and the restaurant is really beautiful. We had a great table and the place was filled with energy. Service was very good. The real negative thing to me were the prices. Keep in mind we usually go to expensive places so this is not a "sticker shock" situation. Primarily, the wines are just so over priced it is annoying. A Sancerre by the glass was $24, a Gruner $18 ??? These are just the whites... And these are not generous pours. We drink enough wine ( the same wines often ) to feel the up charge to just be excessive. And the food was good, but not as good as at some of our favorites, so the enormous bill seems not quite worth it. Fun place to try for a special occasion, but we would not go back in hurry.Special Features:
- Very good!MarkHVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a very nice dinner in the upstairs. Energetic but much less noisey than the main dining room. Looks like a complete re-model from the days of Mark Peel. Great food overall - skip the caviar. Really not that good at all - why serve it if it doesn't measure up to the rest of the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.