624 S. La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.republiquela.com/
- Phone: 310-362-6115x
- Hours of Operation:
Republique offers coffee, pastries & Viennoiserie Monday- Saturday from 8am until closing.
Monday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Walter Manzke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for any private dining inquires.
- Private Party Contact: Christian Philippo 3103626115x
A word from Republique
Republique, located in mid-city, is owned by Chef Walter Manzke and Chef Margarita Manzke along with their partner, restaurateur Bill Chait. Centered in the heart of Los Angeles in an iconic building originally erected in 1929 as Charlie Chaplin’s offices, which was then transformed into La Brea Bakery and Campanile, the restaurant builds on its storied past with its latest incarnation, offering the public a gastronomic environment of history and grandeur. The space will feature a casual bar and bistro in the front with a more formal restaurant located in the rear, both of which are rooted in French cuisine. Republique will bring a vibrant new dining destination to one of the most architecturally unique and beautifully understated locations in Los Angeles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Republique - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Republique reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (164)hot spot (131)special occasion (107)good for groups (79)vibrant bar scene (68)neighborhood gem (65)notable wine list (58)romantic (50)late-night find (28)great for brunch (23)great for lunch (14)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Very good!MarkHVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a very nice dinner in the upstairs. Energetic but much less noisey than the main dining room. Looks like a complete re-model from the days of Mark Peel. Great food overall - skip the caviar. Really not that good at all - why serve it if it doesn't measure up to the rest of the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could've been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I really wanted to like this place, interesting mix of older foodies and hipsters. My main complaint: the service. When the bus boys are taking better care of the patrons than the waiters (ours was busy talking up a group of his friends behind us), there is a problem. The food was not good enough to save the experience or make me want to come back. They put parsley on EVERYTHING, except dessert and had to place bone marrow on top of a steak "for flavor." So many things in this place just don't make sense. I've seen, I've sampled, I would spend my money elsewhere; maybe someplace where my patronage is appreciated and my party is not treated as a nuisance..Special Features:
- Diverse menuLovnlivDined on 8/28/2014Every dish was delicious and true family sized portions. Service was attentive, timely and informative. The oysters were amazing, the pasta al dente, and the duck with blueberries was extraordinarily delicious. If you are a ginger fan and love ginger ales, their homemade ginger ale is a must.Special Features:
- Special eveningfood4sharingDined on 8/27/2014We were two couples celebrating three birthdays and this restaurant is great for a special evening like that. The architecture is enhanced by the decor. The soaring ceiling, open food stations, energetic patrons - very exciting. The servers were personable and knowledgeable, especially the sommelier. The noise level was a little high. The starters and salad better than the main dishes. We had the hamachi, chips and dip and octopus salad. The beef mains we had, filet mignon and short ribs were good but not unique. The liquid chocolate cake with lime ice cream and hot chocolate desert and espresso were really really good. Our bill was $210 per couple, acceptable for a special occasion. We had a really nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowHotFudgeSundaeDined on 8/27/2014Good-Original-and the best bread pudding in the history of restaurantsSpecial Features:
- 4 StarsOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/27/2014Food was very good but I had higher expectations based on all the buzz. I also think it is overpriced for what you get. Service was excellent although it did seem that the server was pushing all of the expensive items. Wine list was excellent with some good values and not so good values. I do not understand why people have a problem with the health insurance tax. Don't agree a tip should be given for that tax but everyone should understand the cost of all items rather than allowing our politicians to bury all of the taxes and fees and trying to deceive all of the voters that it is "free". There truly is no such thing as a "free lunch" and voters should be better informed.Special Features:
- Too noisyDidoVIPDined on 8/26/2014Too noisy, I was very embarrassed as we invited guests from out of town and the four of us could not hold any conversation because of the extremely loud noise from other tables and upstairs sitting. Although the food and service were adequate but the extremely loud noise dampened the ambianceSpecial Features:
- Great ExpectationsSusanVIPDined on 8/23/2014I made my reservation at Republique with a great deal of anticipation. Food was good, service was spotty, noise level was unaccceptable. Unable to have a conversation with the rest of my table without having to shout and repeat myself frequently. Not fun. We were seated upstairs, which seemed slightly less noisy than downstairs, but when the table of 12 sat down next to us, any hope of further conversation disappeared. Food came out in spurts, with a 35 minute wait between dishes at one point (we were told that the kitchen was experiencing high volume).Special Features:
- Worth the moneyRaptordashVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were a group of 6 and ordered every salad on the menu. Ordered the tomato tarte. Corn anglionotti. Oysters. Baguette with Normandy butter. Pig's head. Desserts:Stone fruit cobbler, salted caramel chocolate cake, bread pudding, and melting chocolate cake. Everything was excellent. The server was top notch. The only offputting thing was the 3% they add to the bill for employee healthcare. (They say they will take it off of you ask, but how about if the management just includes this in the price of the menu items as they do food cost, electricity, rent, etc.)Special Features:
- French with a twistfoodadventurerDined on 8/22/2014Food was delicious and so many great flavor combinations. The french fries were crispy and flavorful. Would recommend for anyone looking for a food adventure. Service was attentive but not overbearing - perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointingFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014I was expecting a more upscale experience. Some of the food was really wonderful -- e.g., the brussel sprouts with pancetta were delicious and complex, as was the soft shell crab. The main courses were less interesting. The short-rib solid, but not earth-shattering and the sea bass downright disappointing, slightly overcooked and bland. The wine list was very limited and the wines by the glass few and far between and outrageously priced. The waitstaff had little knowledge of the food or the wine. The room was so loud it was difficult to hear one's dinner companion. Not at all what I expected.Special Features:
- Food heavenMikeDined on 8/22/2014Well done. Great service with excellent food. Loved the family style wowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to try againcamaro70Dined on 8/19/2014I heard a lot about the great food and atmosphere...I must say 4 of 5 dishes we had were over seasoned unfortunately. Not horrible, but noticeable. The rest of the experience was very good though (service/ambience). Heading back in two weeks so hopefully this was a one time glitch.
- Go For the Truffle Pasta!LoriSVIPDined on 8/19/2014The truffle pasta was FANTASTIC!! The Beet Salad was also very good. I do not recommend the peach dessert - it's listed first on the current menu. Bland and boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't ignore the seating problemsfoodandwineguyDined on 8/18/2014Warning to diners: It looks like about half of the seats for diners are wooden stools with no cushions or backs, which are terribly uncomfortable for a long dinner, especially for our elderly guests, one of whom had back problems. The restaurant made no effort to accomodate the situation, except to say that they warn people when they make and confirm the reservation, neither of which was true in our case. Many of the other seats are at long communal tables (which have hard wooden seats, but at least they have a full back). What were they thinking? Why make an otherwise wonderful dining experience, with terrific food, so uncomfortable?Special Features:
- Loved our Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2014We adored our little celebration so greatly this past Monday evening. This was only my second time to the restaurant and my husband's first. The food was amazing (and consistently so)! But more importantly, Republique's atmosphere is so warm and charming, and the staff, from the first person you see when you walk in, to that last person on the way out, are absolutely so hospitable, knowledgable and more than accommodating. Our server was TOP NOTCH in every aspect of her job- knowledge, helpfulness and ease. While the cuisine is excellent, these are really the things that make a restaurant special and keep me wanting to come back and back.Special Features:
- Great experienceBabyDined on 8/16/2014My boyfriend and I really enjoyed dinning here. The place is beautiful and fun. The fact there's not as much noise as other trendy restaurants is a true blessing now a days. We were able to have a conversation and enjoy an exquisite meal. Love the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy brilliancesantamonicagirlDined on 8/16/2014Food is very creative and delicious but too much going on with the sharing of dishes.……Very Very large restaurants, kind of like a very beautiful train station…….bus people need more training….put dirty forks on the table to reuse with new food items….messy and not very appetizing. Steak and duck confit outstanding. Beet and White salad not very flavorful or interesting. Would like to go with just my husband so a lot easier for the sharing aspect….Almost to ambitious….too many beautiful things happening…..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip and Hopping Foodie SpotGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Vibrant bar scene and very hip for dinner. Great raw bar and oysters and all the starters are quite good. The dinner main courses are pricey and just ok. Love lunch/brunch here however, entire menu is excellent and good portions. A much more family oriented and neighborhood oriented vibe during the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LAfoodLAfoodDined on 8/15/2014Great scene and tasty food = good night. Wait staff at our original table was great upstairs, but we decided to move downstairs near the energy/action. Wait staff at new table was mixed partly due to the crowd. Food and ambiance were solid. Wine list was surprisingly weaker than we had expected. Overall, good experience and I would revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RepubliquelovetoeatDined on 8/15/2014The food is very good . I love what they've done with the former Campanile space. I don't mind a communal table, but the seating isn't comfortable because the table isn't designed got legroom.Special Features:
- In loveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014In my opinion Republique is one of the best restaurant in Los AngelesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alielDined on 8/14/2014excellent food and ambience only issue was the fact that I had to wait 30 min even though I had a reservation at 9:30, I had to wait until 10pm to get seated (and it was already a late reservation so that was annoying). only issue. waiter service was excellent food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful food, horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/13/2014Noise level was intolerable. The food was outstanding. Restaurant was too crowded..tables on top of each other. We could not wait to get out of there.Special Features:
- brandy2Dined on 8/13/2014The restaurant lived up to the reviews I'd read. Good energy, great food,wonderful service.Special Features:
- GoodeatingforworkDined on 8/13/2014Food was well prepared, although the mussels were overly "fish" and could not finish them. Get the duck.Special Features:
- Fun Evening in da BistrowesjennisonVIPDined on 8/12/2014We had a fun time at Republique. Busy vibe, diverse and people friendly food selections, a wine list that will please the cost conscious or the wine aficionado.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top glam spot-but alittle too glamBowtie34Dined on 8/8/2014"Republique" is highly rated, maybe over rated. Maybe because we had reservations, we were seated at an individual bar table; nice but the bar chair was uncomfortable after the first 5mins. Also I was surprised at the noise level - almost as loud as a night club, so it wasn't easy to have a conversation, there was alot of "what?", and "say again". The menu is very unique and even with 'family style' the portions were not large enough to share beyond two, so we should have been advised. You have to be a sommelier to understand their wine list - a good thing if you want to spend $250+ on wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/6/2014One of the best restaurant in town! I'm ever disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RepubliquenbbtsmDined on 8/5/2014Not enough characters allowed to write my full review. Asked to wait to be seated for a 6:00P reservation when the restaurant was 85% empty. At least we were able to wait inside and not outside like at Bastide. Server did not answer a direct question about a wine similar to Syrah. He got someone else, who recommended another wine. Last course was a cheese plate and had to wait 25 minutes for it to come to the table. 3% gratuity arbitrarily added to the bill which we understood to be for the employees. The tip that we leave is 1% to 25% of the bill based on the level of service. We object to an arbitrary amount added to the bill. Raise your prices, but don't ask me to pay an arbitrary 3%.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Fabulous food, outrageously noisy, uncomfortable stools and chairsSpecial Features:
- JamesDined on 7/31/2014For ambience rated Poor as it was BLOODY HOT. Towards end of dinner (food and service sensational) all three in my party were feeling physically ill due to the lack of air. Made note to manager who responded "no one has ever complained before". Me thinks not completely the case.....once air is "fixed" we will be back!Special Features:
- ExcellentDubaiVIPDined on 7/30/2014The Resturant was a great hit with me and my friends, the ambiance , food and service was great many thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place that carries onIconpyroDined on 7/29/2014When campaniles disappeared, I thought who could replace it...well Republique just did that. The modernization of the venue with its high glass facade and updated furniture make a great venue even better. The food was excellent and the freshness of the ingredients was evident. I liked the family style menu. My friend and I had the oysters, the pasta with crab, the duck confit and the pork belly. They were all delicious and I was pleasantly surprise by the portions. It got louder as the night went on but that's expected of this restaraunt. I wouldn't hesitate to go back and try the other items on the menu. The drinks here are pretty good, I had two of the libations here, forgot the name, but it had lemon with bourbon and bitters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!LAMCFOODIEDined on 7/28/2014Besides having a bit of a snooty server, our experience was fantastic. All of our food was delicious, and the atmosphere is amazing. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointinglhla333Dined on 7/28/2014Had heard a lot of good things about Republique, always loved the building. The waiter was indifferent, with rather long nails. Ignored us several times when we were trying for eye contact. Portions are described as only for sharing, but they are quite small, so i don't know why this disclaimer came! I had heard there is a complimentary bread service as well as the $3/4 normandy butter offer- but no bread was ever offered…. and the chicken had a few areas of bright pink/red matter that was disconcerting. The wines by the glass offerings were paltry. The peach salad was good, not a lot of peach and the corn agnoletto was sweet/bland….not interesting…..we skipped dessert. Parking is reasonable at $6.50, considering the rest of the prices.Special Features:
- Fabulous FrenchFlowerVIPDined on 7/26/2014Manzke has hit a home run with this new restaurant. Great ambiance, fantastic service where the waiter is very knowledgeable about the menu and explains most dishes, and does not rush you through your meal plus delectable preparation of high end ingredients. Couldn't get enough of the Mushroom tarte and soft shell crab or the exceedingly fresh vegetable salad.Special Features:
- Huge DisappointmentBruceDined on 7/26/2014The noise is deafening. There is a constantly pounding level of background music on top of the crowd noise such that you need to yell to speak to your dinner partner. Main courses do not arrive at the same time, so one person is already done eating before the other person has yet to be served. Ordered the brussel sprouts salad and it chiefly had other items vs. the sprouts. There is a constant push to sell alcoholic drinks. Food beyond the flatbread is only mediocre. Expect to spend $100 per person. Seating are hard wooden types and uncomfortable. This is one very over-rated restaurant.
- Great food, ambiance, and staffJay12345Dined on 7/23/2014The food and service was beyond. I have no complaints and will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fab food but need better wine listwehodinerDined on 7/23/2014Food, service and ambience were wonderful. Limited wine list and very few bottles under $100. Such a great restaurant should look to improve wine list. Otherwise loved this place. Lots of great dishes to share.Special Features: