210 North Center Street
Assaria, KS 67416Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.renaissancecafeassaria.com/
- Phone: 7858226750
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Kevin OBrien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Renaissance Cafe
Authentic Northern Italian Cuisine. Including in house made breads, pastas and desserts. Exciting menu of steaks, chops, seafood and other surprises.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Renaissance Cafe - Best Restaurants in Salina ›
Renaissance Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)fit for foodies (37)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (17)notable wine list (12)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Food cooked to perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My palate thanked me. We were promptly seated. The ambiance is cozy. Every bite of the food was bursting with flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The service was very helpful and outstanding. The food was perfect. Already shared experience on Facebook and gave it a glowing review. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for the evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Chose the Renaissance Cafe as the place to celebrate my 56th birthday by dining with family in a unique atmosphere. We were a group of four and three of us had been there before, the one who had not been enjoyed herself. The restaurant has a festive atmosphere and it's quiet enough to have a nice conversation at the table. The palate cleaners are a delight, refreshing and fun! Food was tasty, a bit heavy on salt. Would definitely recommend checking the Renaissance Cafe out!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014This is the best food in the area. The chef has been recognized as one of the best in Kansas and one trip to the Renaissance for a nice dinner will confirm that. Every item garners comments; from the appetizer, the butter for warm bread, the gorgonzola salad, sorbet, entrée... to the after dinner treat. You'll go for the setting and atmosphere; whether for family, friends or romance, but it'll become your "special occasion favorite" because of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Mediocre service.Pingg8Dined on 8/28/2014I have been coming here for weekend dates once a month or so for almost a year now. I have really noticed the service lacking everytime that I come. If I am not in a large group or drinking bottles of wine I honestly get lackluster service. It is really disappointing. It really isn't that hard to not pressure your tables to order the second you get there and keep drinks full. It is really just basics of service that I am not receiving. I should never be running out of water for 10 minutes at a time while spending 25 dollars a plate. I really hope the service can be back up to par with the food soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MickiyDined on 8/23/2014Reasonable wine list, long enough for variety, and reasonable number of choices of different typs of wine; but within the variety of wine, limited choice. The Florentine ribeye is as good as anywhere I have eaten it, and it is the only entre that I have chosen. However, those with whom I have been with have commented on the high quality of their particular entre's. The ambience might be classified as funky intimate located in a former school building with maybe 20 tables and "down home" friendly staff and casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique experienceDjmlDined on 8/16/2014Tha Renaissance Cafe is a great little place in a very tiny town. The setting is the old town High School gym. But now the dining areas are intimate and very quiet. We have dined here many times and never once been dissappointed. Our drive is over an hour each way but always worth it. At our last visit we dined and talked with friends for two hours but never felt rushed. We would recommed the Renaisance to one and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJ2REVIEWDined on 8/16/2014Always absolutely exclellent food and service every time we go there. Well, worth every penny spent. Bring all my friends and relatives here when they come to town.Special Features:
- foodnewsDined on 8/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal--the chef is outstanding. Our only slight complaint was the noise level, as there happened to be small children there at the same time--rather noisy. Overall, it was great!!!!Special Features:
- Great experienceKorn714Dined on 8/14/2014This place is a real charm. Try the steak Venato. You won't be disappointed. Try to keep up with Casey's wit and be sure to than Kevin for his great cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!AmmiDined on 8/7/2014We go here for special occasions. The food is MARVELOUS, the service friendly and timely. Only open Th-Sat, make reservations. Located in a very small community, but definitely worth the drive. Unique with nostalgic decor. You can work on an ongoing jigsaw puzzle in the foyer while you wait for the rest of your party to arrive.Special Features:
- Had to return next nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014Once we tried Renaissance Cafe with family we returned the next night with friends! Nicest restaurant in the city/county.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place, food has characterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014The restaurant setting is very interesting, we had a table next to a basketball court! The food tasted just ok, but it's very different than food you get at. Gain restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!85WolverineDined on 7/18/2014Food here is as good as if not better than the food you would get at the top restaurants in bigger cities like Wichita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice quiet mealPeaceDined on 7/12/2014We had a really nice time at the Renaissance Cafe on Saturday night. It was wonderful to sit at a table and not feel rushed by the people waiting in line to be seated. I enjoyed the quite atmosphere and no televisions. It was a great opportunity to talk to each other ! The food was excellent! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night Success!PihlingKansasDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I live in the area and we finally made it a point to try the cafe! Reservations are basically required (which are easy to do via their website) and NO food substitutions are allowed, but the dishes are divine the way they are designed. You can read more about my experience and see photos from our visit on my blog! http://www.pihlingkansas.com/2014/07/renaissance-cafe-in-assaria-kansas.htmlSpecial Features:
- excellent food in an unlikely placedtcelloDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Rennaisance Café. Our food was wonderful, the waitstaff paced our meal beautifully, ensuring that we felt well cared for and never rushed. The favorable aspects of this restaurant outweigh the only negatives, which are the noise level (very loud due to hearing voices of other diners bouncing off all the hard surfaces) and lack of privacy. (Also due to the above) we return several times a year. Love Kevin the chef, and the staff. They work hard to make your experience positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Renaissance - diamond in the roughBJDfoodieDined on 7/5/2014In a town of 400 people, this is a jewel. Several tables near us traveled from Salina & beyond to the restaurant, & it's definitely worth the drive. Arriving at our table, we were greeted with a wonderful starter of marinated tomato, mozzarella ball & kalamata olive on a skewer. Delicious! Then we forged on to calamari-some of the best I've ever had-thick, tender & prepared perfectly, & a unique cream cheese spread crostini. We had the trout, chicken & mushroom pene pasta with wine sauce, yellow fin tuna (he raved about it cooked rare & perfect!) & the Chicken Artichoke pasta. We were all very pleased with our choices! They have a limited wine list & unfortunately no liquor is served, but we were content. The service was outstanding!Special Features:
- A Must VisitKatieDined on 6/26/2014The Renaissance is clearly my wife and my favorite dining establishment. For a nice quiet experience, with the best northern italian food, you've got to visit. We love the steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oboistDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food and service! The pork special on Saturday was outstanding. A very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again the food was delicious.kingmankidDined on 6/20/2014Always a pleasure to dine at the Renaissance. Chef Kevin provides a well rounded menu to make our selections.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceRoroDined on 6/20/2014So nice to go out to dine and have real, not microwaved entries. Food was delicious. Wait staff was well educated on selection. This was my first visit. I WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful fooddjs2005Dined on 6/14/2014The Trout Mustrada was delicious and a large portion! My husband had the Penne and Pork Trio which was also great. The service was super, as always.Special Features:
- Wonderful find in Central Kansas...KSGShellDined on 5/31/2014Our visitors from southern CA were surprised to find such a great dinner experience in the heart of Kansas. Renaissance Cafe is on our list of top dining spots. Great food, atmosphere and service as well as quaint small town charm in the unusual school gym setting.Special Features:
- 2nd time hereHusker51Dined on 5/30/2014This was our second experience dining at the Renaissance Café in Assaria. The food remains outstanding. We tried a pasta dish and felt the portion size more than adequate and the Gorgonzola salad very good as well. Water was not on our table upon arrival as it was the first time. The waitress did not ask for a drink order when relating the specials of the evening and taking our main order. Upon receiving our salads, we requested water with lemon, the waitress apologized for the oversight. We felt rushed this time as our main course was brought out long before we were even half finished with our salad. Overall, I would still recommend this establishment to anyone but would recommend that more attention be paid to timing of courses.Special Features:
- A gem in the heart of KansasElizabethDined on 5/29/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at the Renaissance Cafe in Assaria. Our dinners were well prepared and the service excellent. Food was fresh and inventive- thoughtfully constructed to blend flavor. I had the bacon-wrapped pork chop with mustard and horseradish sauce, mixed veg of carrots and green and yellow beans and small potatoes - all excellent. Other dinners in our group included salmon with same side dishes, pasta with vegetables and pesto sauce and a large dinner salad- all were good. It was a memorable evening and we all agreed we would go out of our way to eat here again. A gem in the heart of Kansas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014My sons proclaimed the Cream of Sweet Vidalia Onion soup "the best soup" they have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!djs2005Dined on 5/24/2014Our meals at the Renaissance are consistently delicious! It is our go-to place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LsbbDined on 5/24/2014What a fabulous place. Unique setting, super service, great selection, quiet dining, superb food! It can't get any better than this! Most delicious steak I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceHusker51Dined on 5/17/2014A gem in a small town. Reservations are recommended as they will be ready for your arrival with a prepared table of ice water and a small appetizer to begin your dining. Our server was knowledgeable and helpful. Food was freshly prepared, the Gorgonzola salad is very good and the steak was prepared exactly as ordered. Timing of each course was excellent. We definitely plan to return to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Place to Dine AtlovetoeatDined on 5/10/2014As stated before I thought the food was salty. The atmosphere is wonderful. We had a great waitress that added to the enjoyment of the evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014The food was top notch, the service was great and the ambiance was spectacular. I'd recommend to all my friends what ever the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JFK2Dined on 5/8/2014The atmosphere of the Renaissance Café was delightful and a wonderful place for a couple, family or group meeting for a special occasion. The menu selection was extraordinary and everyone at our table was very pleased with their entrée as well as the wine selection suggested by our server. There are so many dishes to choose from it is definitely a place to return to frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 195 reviews are from the Renaissance Cafe reviews archive.
- needle in a haystackMayberry3011Dined on 5/3/2014This restaurant is like finding a needle in a haystack. Once you have tasted it, nothing else compares. My experience started a few years ago when my 80+ year old mother wanted liver and onions. Seriously? What restaurant has liver and onions on their menu? This one does along with delicious steaks, chicken and pasta. Recently I ordered one of the steaks, thinking that I might take some home. Once I started I couldn't stop eating. It was so good! Dessert? Try it, you won't be disappointed! This is the perfect restaurant for those who want something other than mom's home cooking or a chain restaurant (try their pasta and you will never go back to Olive Garden!) Perfect for individuals, couples, or larger groups, up to15.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!dvillanDined on 4/25/2014My husband and I love this place! This was our second time visiting and had just as wonderful experience as the first! Warm and friendly staff, food was excellent, and the ambience is very easy and romantic!Special Features:
- Great food and time with friendsgroupof7Dined on 4/25/2014Enjoyed our dinner with friends Friday night. I am not sure why I waited so long to try this awesome restaurant!! Every dish ordered by our group was great including the dessert. Quiet enough to enjoy conversation at our table and did not bother those around us. The waitress did a wonderful job. She was attentive but not in the way. She was very friendly with a nice touch to her service. We will be going back soon and often. Prices are reasonable for the high quality of food. Fun to eat in an old school house. One of the ladies in our group actually went to school there. Thanks for the nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great little restauranttpackageDined on 4/25/2014The food is all amazing, is a great place to take a date for unique food. I would have loved to gave 5 star rating...but have to say the food seemed a little too salty....it wasnt crazy salty but I could definitely taste the sodium the food I had. I found myself extremely thirsty a while later, confirming my suspicions there was a lot of sodium in our food. The only other thing I noticed was that it seemed loud with some echo in the dining area, but thats probably because its next to an empty gymnasium There was a table of adults near us, and just their talking, made it difficult to have conversation with my date unless we shouted to each other...nothing worse than people laughing/talking loud. But of course thats not restaurants faultSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kansas GemDakkDined on 4/25/2014Our Steak Venato was amazing! Service very good. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great Food, different atmosphereAdventurousEaterDined on 4/24/2014First off, the food was absolutely amazing! Both of us had a pasta dish, and both were out of this world. Same goes for the desserts, both very very good. We each had an appetizer, pasta dish, and desert, as well as a couple drinks each, and the total was $60. The only downfall to this great little restaurant is the ambiance, or should I say lack thereof. Granted, we were there on what I hope for them was a slow Thursday night, but it was quite dead and the decor was odd. It's in an old schoolhouse, and all around the walls are pictures of historical people, places and artworks. There is also an old basketball court on one side of the restaurant? To top it off, there is a pine floor, and bark-on birch trim all around. Very weird decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lazyslDined on 4/19/2014Love to eat here-would eat out more here if closer to my hometown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.