210 North Center Street
Assaria, KS 67416Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.renaissancecafeassaria.com/
- Phone: 7858226750
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Kevin OBrien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Renaissance Cafe
Authentic Northern Italian Cuisine. Including in house made breads, pastas and desserts. Exciting menu of steaks, chops, seafood and other surprises.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Renaissance Cafe - Best Restaurants in Salina ›
Renaissance Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)fit for foodies (30)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (18)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Rural KAnsas GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Charming rural setting. Small town. Old converted K-12 school gym. Sounds odd, but it works, well. We had a wonderful meal. App was Italian sausage with polenta. Really good. Polenta was perfect and the topping was superb. We each had a salad. Both plates were cleaned. She had house with champagne vinaigrette, I had the Gorgonzola salad. She had balsamic glazed salmon with veggies and potatoes. I had the pork loin with olives and risotto. It was likewise really good. Absolutely recommend the flourless chocolate torte. Little whipped cream and some raspberry syrup. Let it sit and warm up a bit. Wine and beer selection was much better than a lot of small town destination restaurants we have been to. Server Megan was pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!NicjoeDined on 10/17/2014Food and service excellent. Our first trip and will not be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To much Black pepperPepperDined on 10/16/2014Way to much black pepper in everything, you lost the taste of the food and only tasted the black pepper. Desert had to much crust on fruit cobbler and to little fruit!
- Wonderful food, superb preparationHankDined on 10/10/2014We eat out often and this is the best food anywhere near Salina, Kansas. Far better than the Salina Country Club and other sites normally considered as its competition !!Special Features:
- Local foodielocalfoodie4033Dined on 10/10/2014Planned a date night for hubby and myself and Renaissance Café was the perfect quiet place to be without the kids and enjoy time together. Kudos to Chef Kevin for some delicious food from salad to orange basil sherbet palate cleanser to main course to dessert. If you go away hungry, it's your own fault. The food was all done well and delicious. Presentation was beautiful as well. We do not drink but they looked to have a nice wine selection for those who do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Atmosphere, perfect. Steaks, perfect. Service (Casey) perfect. Dessert, perfect. What a gem right here in this little town in the middle of Kansas. Would be well worth the drive from anywhere in the state, regardless of distance. I took my father and sister (along with their significant others) to the Renaissance for their September birthdays. All were duly impressed and we could not have had a better meal or a more enjoyable evening. Needless to say, we will be all be eating there again. I highly recommend the Renaissance Cafe to anyone who enjoys food. Perfect!Special Features:
- Night out for two!eatngoodDined on 9/27/2014I took my wife out on a date and I wanted to make it special. I thought of Renaissance Cafe due to the low key intimate atmosphere. I had seen a specials list for that weekend and one of the dishes sounded great so that sealed the deal. We were not disappointed. The service was great and their recommendations on desert were fantastic. Every coarse of the meal was delicious and we will be going back very soon. Thank you for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We had out of town guests coming in for a conference and were looking for something different to show them. The Renaissance Cafe was perfect. The food was outstanding, the service wonderful and the atmosphere was great! It was quiet enough that we were able to converse without fighting music or other background noise. The tables were far enough apart that we didn't feel like we were on top of each other. I would highly recommend the Renaissance cafe in assaria.Special Features:
- McMsDined on 9/26/2014Everything was great except the lady at the cash register when we paid. She was a little sassy with us, like she was having a bad day or doesn't like dealing with older people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for thoughtDinner4twoDined on 9/20/2014Went for our anniversary. Loved it. Will go back again. Open table made reservation easy and we were expected. I had never used this service before.Special Features:
- Great food and fantastic service!!!CaptainMorganDined on 9/19/2014Love this place! The only thing my wife and I would have to say negative is the noise level. Concrete walls and hard wood floors in an old school / gym so it's loud if there anyone celebrating. So if your looking for a quiet evening this may not fit your needs, but the food and staff easily make up for the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesome785eatDined on 9/13/2014This is and has been my special "go to" place. My steak was so wonderful, as always. My friend had the trout and said it was some of the best ever.Special Features:
- Highle RecommendedLeftSeatDined on 9/13/2014We eat here often as it is by far the best restaurant in the area. Chef Kevin is outstanding. Ask him for wine pairings with your dinner selections. You will not be disappointed. Staff is friendly and provides excellent service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food cooked to perfectionalishamervDined on 8/30/2014My palate thanked me. We were promptly seated. The ambiance is cozy. Every bite of the food was bursting with flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceHesstonCouple2014Dined on 8/30/2014The service was very helpful and outstanding. The food was perfect. Already shared experience on Facebook and gave it a glowing review. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for the evening!blackbeltwillowDined on 8/30/2014Chose the Renaissance Cafe as the place to celebrate my 56th birthday by dining with family in a unique atmosphere. We were a group of four and three of us had been there before, the one who had not been enjoyed herself. The restaurant has a festive atmosphere and it's quiet enough to have a nice conversation at the table. The palate cleaners are a delight, refreshing and fun! Food was tasty, a bit heavy on salt. Would definitely recommend checking the Renaissance Cafe out!Special Features:
- dc92Dined on 8/29/2014This is the best food in the area. The chef has been recognized as one of the best in Kansas and one trip to the Renaissance for a nice dinner will confirm that. Every item garners comments; from the appetizer, the butter for warm bread, the gorgonzola salad, sorbet, entrée... to the after dinner treat. You'll go for the setting and atmosphere; whether for family, friends or romance, but it'll become your "special occasion favorite" because of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Mediocre service.Pingg8Dined on 8/28/2014I have been coming here for weekend dates once a month or so for almost a year now. I have really noticed the service lacking everytime that I come. If I am not in a large group or drinking bottles of wine I honestly get lackluster service. It is really disappointing. It really isn't that hard to not pressure your tables to order the second you get there and keep drinks full. It is really just basics of service that I am not receiving. I should never be running out of water for 10 minutes at a time while spending 25 dollars a plate. I really hope the service can be back up to par with the food soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MickiyDined on 8/23/2014Reasonable wine list, long enough for variety, and reasonable number of choices of different typs of wine; but within the variety of wine, limited choice. The Florentine ribeye is as good as anywhere I have eaten it, and it is the only entre that I have chosen. However, those with whom I have been with have commented on the high quality of their particular entre's. The ambience might be classified as funky intimate located in a former school building with maybe 20 tables and "down home" friendly staff and casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique experienceDjmlDined on 8/16/2014Tha Renaissance Cafe is a great little place in a very tiny town. The setting is the old town High School gym. But now the dining areas are intimate and very quiet. We have dined here many times and never once been dissappointed. Our drive is over an hour each way but always worth it. At our last visit we dined and talked with friends for two hours but never felt rushed. We would recommed the Renaisance to one and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJ2REVIEWDined on 8/16/2014Always absolutely exclellent food and service every time we go there. Well, worth every penny spent. Bring all my friends and relatives here when they come to town.Special Features:
- foodnewsDined on 8/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal--the chef is outstanding. Our only slight complaint was the noise level, as there happened to be small children there at the same time--rather noisy. Overall, it was great!!!!Special Features:
- Great experienceKorn714Dined on 8/14/2014This place is a real charm. Try the steak Venato. You won't be disappointed. Try to keep up with Casey's wit and be sure to than Kevin for his great cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!AmmiDined on 8/7/2014We go here for special occasions. The food is MARVELOUS, the service friendly and timely. Only open Th-Sat, make reservations. Located in a very small community, but definitely worth the drive. Unique with nostalgic decor. You can work on an ongoing jigsaw puzzle in the foyer while you wait for the rest of your party to arrive.Special Features:
- Had to return next nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014Once we tried Renaissance Cafe with family we returned the next night with friends! Nicest restaurant in the city/county.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place, food has characterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014The restaurant setting is very interesting, we had a table next to a basketball court! The food tasted just ok, but it's very different than food you get at. Gain restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!85WolverineDined on 7/18/2014Food here is as good as if not better than the food you would get at the top restaurants in bigger cities like Wichita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice quiet mealPeaceDined on 7/12/2014We had a really nice time at the Renaissance Cafe on Saturday night. It was wonderful to sit at a table and not feel rushed by the people waiting in line to be seated. I enjoyed the quite atmosphere and no televisions. It was a great opportunity to talk to each other ! The food was excellent! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night Success!PihlingKansasDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I live in the area and we finally made it a point to try the cafe! Reservations are basically required (which are easy to do via their website) and NO food substitutions are allowed, but the dishes are divine the way they are designed. You can read more about my experience and see photos from our visit on my blog! http://www.pihlingkansas.com/2014/07/renaissance-cafe-in-assaria-kansas.htmlSpecial Features:
- excellent food in an unlikely placedtcelloDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Rennaisance Café. Our food was wonderful, the waitstaff paced our meal beautifully, ensuring that we felt well cared for and never rushed. The favorable aspects of this restaurant outweigh the only negatives, which are the noise level (very loud due to hearing voices of other diners bouncing off all the hard surfaces) and lack of privacy. (Also due to the above) we return several times a year. Love Kevin the chef, and the staff. They work hard to make your experience positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Renaissance - diamond in the roughBJDfoodieDined on 7/5/2014In a town of 400 people, this is a jewel. Several tables near us traveled from Salina & beyond to the restaurant, & it's definitely worth the drive. Arriving at our table, we were greeted with a wonderful starter of marinated tomato, mozzarella ball & kalamata olive on a skewer. Delicious! Then we forged on to calamari-some of the best I've ever had-thick, tender & prepared perfectly, & a unique cream cheese spread crostini. We had the trout, chicken & mushroom pene pasta with wine sauce, yellow fin tuna (he raved about it cooked rare & perfect!) & the Chicken Artichoke pasta. We were all very pleased with our choices! They have a limited wine list & unfortunately no liquor is served, but we were content. The service was outstanding!Special Features:
- The following 211 reviews are from the Renaissance Cafe reviews archive.
- A Must VisitKatieDined on 6/26/2014The Renaissance is clearly my wife and my favorite dining establishment. For a nice quiet experience, with the best northern italian food, you've got to visit. We love the steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oboistDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food and service! The pork special on Saturday was outstanding. A very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again the food was delicious.kingmankidDined on 6/20/2014Always a pleasure to dine at the Renaissance. Chef Kevin provides a well rounded menu to make our selections.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceRoroDined on 6/20/2014So nice to go out to dine and have real, not microwaved entries. Food was delicious. Wait staff was well educated on selection. This was my first visit. I WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful fooddjs2005Dined on 6/14/2014The Trout Mustrada was delicious and a large portion! My husband had the Penne and Pork Trio which was also great. The service was super, as always.Special Features:
- Wonderful find in Central Kansas...KSGShellDined on 5/31/2014Our visitors from southern CA were surprised to find such a great dinner experience in the heart of Kansas. Renaissance Cafe is on our list of top dining spots. Great food, atmosphere and service as well as quaint small town charm in the unusual school gym setting.Special Features:
- 2nd time hereHusker51Dined on 5/30/2014This was our second experience dining at the Renaissance Café in Assaria. The food remains outstanding. We tried a pasta dish and felt the portion size more than adequate and the Gorgonzola salad very good as well. Water was not on our table upon arrival as it was the first time. The waitress did not ask for a drink order when relating the specials of the evening and taking our main order. Upon receiving our salads, we requested water with lemon, the waitress apologized for the oversight. We felt rushed this time as our main course was brought out long before we were even half finished with our salad. Overall, I would still recommend this establishment to anyone but would recommend that more attention be paid to timing of courses.Special Features:
- A gem in the heart of KansasElizabethDined on 5/29/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at the Renaissance Cafe in Assaria. Our dinners were well prepared and the service excellent. Food was fresh and inventive- thoughtfully constructed to blend flavor. I had the bacon-wrapped pork chop with mustard and horseradish sauce, mixed veg of carrots and green and yellow beans and small potatoes - all excellent. Other dinners in our group included salmon with same side dishes, pasta with vegetables and pesto sauce and a large dinner salad- all were good. It was a memorable evening and we all agreed we would go out of our way to eat here again. A gem in the heart of Kansas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014My sons proclaimed the Cream of Sweet Vidalia Onion soup "the best soup" they have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.