7000 Rivers Avenue
North Charleston, SC 29406Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.culinaryinstituteofcharleston.com/
- Phone: (843) 820-5087
- Hours of Operation:
Determined by the college schedule. Dates and times are posted accordingly.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International
- Executive Chef: Donald Barickman and Kevin Mitchell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
A word from Relish
Experience downtown dining in this bright contemporary restaurant that garnered LS3P Associates an ASID Merit Award in Institutional Design. Located in the Culinary Institute of Charleston’s Main Campus, skilled CIC students produce and serve the creative cuisine. Diners may select either a day featuring the diverse dishes of the Americas produced by Chef Donald Barickman’s American Regional Cuisine class or one featuring the global flavors of world fare from Chef Kevin Mitchell’s International Cuisine class. Offering both lunch and dinner service, The Relish Restaurant Group® Dining Room provides the most attractive value and venue in the neighborhood. (Please note: Because both the dining rooms and the student-run kitchens of The Relish Restaurant Group® Restaurant and our sister restaurant 181 Palmer are classrooms, the days and hours of operation are determined by the college’s calendar.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Relish reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (3)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Needs more supervisionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014The servers were very friendly and attentive. Unfortunately the foodwas a great disappointment.The entree was overcooked and the dessert was overbaked. Keep trying.
- Delicious mealSusieDined on 11/6/2014The mussel appetizer was generously sized and delicious! Our group enjoyed our lunch overall. The server was attentive, efficient, friendly, and was gracious to answer our questions. We are anticipating our next lunch at Relish.Special Features:
- enjoyedmom4allkidsDined on 11/4/2014It was a good experience. Lots of food. Price is very good compared to the amount and variety of the food. We did get different entrees and able to sample all the offerings in the menu.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014I have never felt more appreciated than when I went to the Relish Cafe. Everyone was so nice and helped me with whatever I needed help with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!CperryDined on 9/23/2014The students do a great job with the international menu of the day! We were very impressed with our experience! Everything from the food to the service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumJacksjoyce1Dined on 9/22/2014Fun experience with friendly welcoming students and staff. I will recommend it to any of my friends visiting Charleston. A sign outside the building would be helpful to future visitors (we drove around the parking lot for 15 minutes trying to locate dining room!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mondays are Heart HealthyFoodwriterDined on 9/16/2014Relish, located in TTC's Culinary Institute of Charleston, is staffed by culinary and hospitality students. They do a great job, with different classes offering different cuisines. Monday's have a Heart Healthy menu - with a different menu of meats and vegetables each week. It's a good way to gear down after calorie-laden weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 60 reviews are from the Relish reviews archive.
- Wonderful experience, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/17/2014This is a restaurant within a Culinary Arts School (within a college itself). The food was spectacular as well as the atmosphere. Service was outstanding. I've been to events where these culinary students have catered and I have NEVER had a bad experience or bad food.Special Features:
- crème de la crèmedebsdefendersDined on 4/17/2014This is my new favorite restaurant! The culinary students are being graded for their wonderful creations of fine food prep and service...I give them an A+. This is a real treat for a fine dining experience and the cost with a drink is only $12.00 TOTAL! Wow....what a great find! We all loved it. I can't wait until they reopen after summer break.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy & affordable Fine DiningKellyDined on 4/16/2014Very class fine dining restaurant at very affordable price. I bring 5 friends last time and I am not even spend a $100. The place is very cozy, ambiance is great, specially if they will play Jazz music, it could be much better.Special Features:
- Our group of 4 certainly enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014Our group of 4 certainly enjoyed our dinner.....Ellis was our server and he was attentive and professional. We will definitely be back....probably with some husbands in tow. Dinner was lovely and served in a timely fashion. Our water glasses were never empty. Kudos to Relish! See you in June.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Students out perform competitions..carmieDined on 4/3/2014We have been there for lunch with our church group, great food and service. Had our first evening meal with a darling server and great food. For the dollar it is a real find to enjoy. Bakery is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SchoolHeidiDined on 4/3/2014Our son is in the culinary program at Trident and we love to go and support the students and this program. They do a wonderful job and it is fun to talk with the students and watch them cook through the window to the kitchen and the webcam. ThanksI would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 course mealjuststudentDined on 3/27/2014Lovely experience, the student server was very nice, food was delicious and filling. My husband and I had a free dinner and have future reservations.Special Features:
- disappointed in the food!thedeansVIPDined on 3/27/2014just ok shecrab soup! shrimp & grits horrible, catfish great/stew & rice horrible, Gullah rice poor texture.. disappointing in all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great. The themeGaterDined on 3/27/2014The food was great. The theme lunch was Gulah. I can't wait unitl my next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelishFoodie4lifeDined on 3/20/2014This place is located in trident tech campus... A lovely 3 course meal for only $12... And service was great.Special Features:
- Isabel was sweet attentivethedeansVIPDined on 3/18/2014Isabel was sweet attentive waitstaff.. she was able to describe each dish very well & accurately! dinner was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Throw this gem her way!!TCSimmonsDined on 2/27/2014Guys...looking for something interesting to do on date night? Sure you can do the same ole thing...that takes a whole lot of effort on your part I know. Throw a reservation to Relish her way and watch her smile. Especially if she's a foodie. The meal you're gonna get would cost you 60 bucks a piece downtown or in a hipster west ashley joint. Your cost...12 bucks. What could you possibly get for 12 bucks right?....riiiigghhhhttt! Go check out the website dude. Do yourself a favor. She'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New downtown - Relish North CharlesKellyDined on 2/27/2014The food cost is affordable, and the ambiance is so classy specially if they put some jazz music, then I don't need to go to downtown. :-) I bring 4 friends last time and they are all satisfied from the hostess, server and food.Special Features:
- Will Come Againspiralaim1Dined on 2/27/2014I love this restaurant. The menu that night wasn't my particular favorite but it will not stop me from coming again. Everything is always very high quality and the staff is always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/27/2014The food was incredible along with the service. Enjoyed every aspect of itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Polish night!SandyDined on 2/25/2014I loved the ethnic food, polish and Ukrainian food night. I noticed that the diners were very bothered by my baby but the students were so accommodating! . I mean it is a school not the ritz people! This is my new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperienceCaukDined on 2/25/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed dining at the Culinary Institute of Charleston. The atmosphere is casual, yet elegant. The food is always delicious and interesting. We especially liked the German dishes served that day. The student servers are knowledgeable and friendly. The price is great considering the quality of everything. We would highly recommend this restaurant experience to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Serverspiralaim1Dined on 2/20/2014I really enjoyed my server. She went out of her way to make sure that we were comfortable and that we understood what we were eating. She was a very caring person and added so much to the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and affordable!JoyceDined on 2/19/2014My friend and I have been having lunch at this restaurant at TTC for a few years now. The food is prepped by aspiring chefs, and served by hospitality students. On this occasion, we chose a Wednesday to have lunch and the menu was 'heart healthy'. The salad was great, as was the chicken, rice and broccoli. The dessert was three slices of green apple with a small amount of cream on top. It was a healthy version of apple crisp, but the apple slices were quite big, and hard, and needed to be cut in half to eat. Unfortunately, the server had removed our knives already, and we were left with just dessert forks to eat it. A new healthy dessert would be better. Also, since no bread was served, the butter and bread plates were not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't know of any othertrynewthingsDined on 2/18/2014I don't know of any other place in the tri county where you can get gourmet dining with your own private server for these kinds of prices. The student chefs do a fabulous job creating some fantastic and unique food flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relish changes N Charleston choicesFoodwriterDined on 2/6/2014With the exception of the Park circle area, there are mostly chain dining options in North Charleston. Relish changed that. Located on TTC's campus, it's a student-operated restaurant that serves very good food for lunch and dinner. Three courses are only $12. And now each day's menu is on the restaurant's website. We had dishes from Louisiana - big fat shrimp with Louis sauce, shrimp creole, and bananas Foster beignets. Very good deal for $12.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Business LunchRBSCVIPDined on 2/4/2014Relish provides a unique experience in a quiet setting - rarely found in Charleston. Most restaurants are so bustling at lunch particularly in the N Charleston business and military corridor that it's impossible to have a conversation at a reasonable level. Relish takes care of that. As long as diners are prepared for some minor inconsistencies and are not in a huge hurry, this is the place to go. It is difficult to find and the menu is limited, but every choice offered was delicious. Our waitress was very pleasant and the cost is incredibly reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Outluv2dineDined on 12/9/2013While this is a classroom you may be surprised by the quality of the food and service. Like this "community gem." Great for lunch too!Special Features:
- what a delightful find! can'tthedeansVIPDined on 12/5/2013what a delightful find! can't wait to do it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relish Roomluv2dineDined on 12/5/2013Continues to impress! Great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- The Culinary School's Relishluv2dineDined on 11/26/2013The Culinary School's Relish Dining Room menu changes with each semester. We have enjoyed the food which the students have prepared. Since the dining room is one of the students "classrooms," service can be unpredictable - generally is it good. Would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- where to lookleewDined on 11/25/2013The food was generally memorable. The beef dish was not up to expectations -- too tough - not eaten for this reasonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best deal in town!redhare54Dined on 11/18/2013I love going to Relish, first of all the price is amazing. The food is very well prepared and the presentation is on spot. The wait staff (this is a class that must be taken for certificates) were simply delightful, it is so nice to see people really trying to perform good customer service. The best deal in town for sure!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I want to go backNickelbackDined on 11/14/2013I want to try every appetizer and every main course and desert.... that means several trips to look forward to. It's hard to rate "ambience" other than "interesting" because I don't see the opportunity to see the kitchens in most restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Charleston's best lunchFoodwriterDined on 11/13/2013Relish is the Culinary Institute of Charleston's restaurant on TTC's Main Campus. And it's a great place to have lunch! Located in an area of Rivers Avenue with mostly chain choices, Relish has excellent freshly prepared food. It's also a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I get to dine at Relish (previouslyFrederickTheGreatDined on 11/12/2013I get to dine at Relish (previously Mikasa) at the Culinary Institute of Charleston once a semester. The type of dining changes frequently. This is the first time I have had dinner and it was a delightful experience. The students are gracious, some more enthusiastic than others and it is fun to learn about their area of expertise at the school and their goals. There are some very interesting responses. The menu selection were all appealing and the final dishes were positively delicious. From soup to nuts - this was a great meal and one of the best deals in Cahrleston. The only thing missing was wine service!Special Features:
- EnjoyableHaydeeDined on 11/12/2013Great place to go with friends where you can talk and have a great meal for a great price. I love that they use table clothes and linens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TTC Relish Room ReviewjudymDined on 11/12/2013The food was very well seasoned and flavorful. The wait staff was attentive and made sure that our drinks were constantly refilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.