Relais de Paris
734 State St
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Relais de Paris
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.relaisdeparis-santabarbara.com/
- Phone: 8057204041
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - close; Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Relais de Paris
Relais de Paris is modeled after a 19th century French Brasserie to create simple traditional French dishes using the best local and organic ingredients available in the Santa Barbara area. Our specialty is our "Sauce Originale" which has been kept a secret since its creation in 1959. In addition to our well-known and famous "steak frites," we offer a range of bistro dishes and amazing desserts that are well-suited for all tastes. Our inviting atmosphere makes Relais de Paris an ideal place to enjoy a fine meal with friends, family and colleagues in a pleasant Parisian Brasserie setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Relais de Paris reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (6)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Gem in Santa Barbarahcc27Dined on 8/30/2014I've been missing my second home of France recently, and this restaurant filled that void wonderfully. The food was authentic, the wine was delicious, and the profiteroles were just like I was sitting on a Parisian street.Special Features:
- Authentic French Cuisine in S.B.PescatarianVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had an excellent Sunday Brunch at Relais de Paris. I ordered the eggs Florentine and my husband ordered the omelette. Mine was served with a small side salad and small potatoes. My husband had fresh fruit and small potatoes. The entire meal from the complimentary freshly baked bread and blueberry muffins to the sounds of live harp music played outside to the service and ambiance were all outstanding. We will return for another Sunday Brunch soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French side of the WestSymilarianDined on 8/23/2014With so many great restaurant choices on State St. This was a delighful surprise, Great atmosphere, we even had somebody next us speaking French. Great menu selection both food and wine. The staff was extremley friendy and very professional. We couldn't ask for a better dining experience in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but horrible servicefoodieVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have gone to Relais de Paris many times and each time the food is delicious. However, the service is always iffy. This night in particular it was awful. Our two year old's food got to the table at the end of the meal. Orders were forgotten altogether and drinks only came when we reminded them. I do wish they would get their act together.
- Very FrenchIoneTaylorVIPDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I ordered the steak frites, which was delicious. The steak was cooked perfectly and the sauce was delectable. The fries were very good but not piping hot. We ordered a scrumptious red wine to accompany our dinner. The servers were friendly and efficient. The group at the table next to us spoke French throughout their meal, so it was just like being in Paris for a night!Special Features:
- Classic French MenuSBfoodie71VIPDined on 7/12/2014Had moules and frites. Good--not outstanding. This place could be better. The setting is great, nice bar but it is just misses. The staff while friendly is just not ON. It was not busy at all, but took some one five minutes to come to our table. At least acknowledge our presence. How hard is it to get water and bread to the table? Second experience and the complaint is consistent.Special Features:
- The following 35 reviews are from the Relais de Paris reviews archive.
- Love the steak sauce!DianeVIPDined on 5/23/2014Had a dinner for a family weekend and there were 11 of us. We had the best food, wine and the waiter was a doll!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic FrenchGoartangelDined on 5/17/2014Read the reviews and decided to try it. Great food!! Entrecôte exactly like in Paris. My boyfriend had the filet mignon with potatoes gratin. I recommend their French fries instead of the gratin. Can't wait to come back again. I ordered a martini and sent it back. Stick to the wines. Great selection and some by the glass are reasonable. Enjoy! We sat in the patio in the back and it was perfect for a romantic dinner :)Special Features:
- will go backVintageFrenchDined on 5/14/2014My companion and I dined here for the first time on a Wednesday evening (using a Groupon voucher). Our server was quite friendly and appropriately attentive. We both got the steak frittes dish --- I wish I had asked for the "gravy" on the side (because I don't like my steak and fries to get soggy), but honestly the flavor of the sauce was unlike anything I've had before. REALLY good! I have to agree with previous reviewers who suggested you might want to use your bread to get every last drop. The "frittes" were worth the calories! The place itself is charming and unpretentious. The menu is not extensive, but appears authentic. I'll go back.Special Features:
- Simple and Solid French FareMisterPickyVIPDined on 5/10/2014The food is simple but quite delicious. The shellfish special actually does have a certain complexity about it - layers of flavors like only the French seem to have the ability to do. All dishes have great sauces for that matter. Some reviewers seem annoyed that the sauce Originale is overrated. I say, come on, people, lighten up, or don't be so Americain. It's wonderful - yummy, and complements both the steaks and fries. Sure, it's not full on French Gourmet like I had in Strassburg prepared by an owner-chef which was incroyable. But this is solid French food that I could eat once/week. The portions are fairly large, especially the steak entrees. The atmosphere reminds me of a bistro in France, fun, casual, but also stylish.Special Features:
- Delightful SurprisePiacereVIPDined on 5/1/2014We dine out often and really enjoyed our evening meal and experience at this charming French restaurant. The mussels and steaks were very tasty and the salad was yummy. The fries weren't fantastic but fine. The meal felt French which is unusual in SB! Service was attentive and we'll go back again! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchcoyotebobDined on 4/20/2014A nice selection of Easter brunch specials served by an excellent waiter. We continue to enjoy Relais de Paris and look forward to our next visit. A restaurant to which we will take family and friends and recommend to others. Don't leave without enjoying desert!Special Features:
- Authentic French fare!fsp4Dined on 4/19/2014A gem of place in Santa Barbara. We loved ambiance, the warmth of the staff and, of course, the food. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great findtruthindiningDined on 4/16/2014We happened upon the place when looking for a new place to eat in SB. The reviews were glowing, so we were excited to try this place. The reviews were right. We both had the steak and frites. Wow. We also started with the shrimp. Wow. Salad was minimalistic, but that was okay, because we were not there for the salad. The gal serving us was friendly. There were even small children in the place, and the staff took pains to accommodate those families without disturbing the other patrons. Not always easy to do. We plan on returning to Relais de Paris repeatedly so we can try EVERYTHING on the menu.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceWoolowDined on 4/12/2014Our server use knowledgeable and attentive, great attention to detail. We had a wonderful dining experience and enjoyed the mix of French and English being spoken all around.Special Features:
- Un petit coin de ParisDoyenneDined on 4/11/2014We felt like we we back in Paris after dining at this charming bistro; It has a similar menu and ambience. Loved the moules frites and the entrecote, which was perfectly prepared. The frites were perfect--prepared the French way, which is to fry them twice! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much funGwengieDined on 4/5/2014Even though we made our reservation days before our arrival, the minute we walked in the hostess proceeded to point out all the tables which were reserved, where we could NOT sit. I said I didn't care which ones were reserved, I just wanted to be seated at a table. Also, the place was quite noisy. We asked them to please turn down the music volume.
- Food was great. Ambience was :-(CANmanDined on 3/29/2014We really enjoyed the food and had a great bottle of champagne at a reasonable price. Most of the dishes we sampled were prepared in a traditional French style, and were very good. The escargot were prepared in a manner we had not seen before (in a puff pastry), and we didn't love it. The biggest issues were the service and the noise level. While our server had a fantastic demeanor and attitude, she was in the weeds all evening, and didn't seem to realize that she was. Additionally, the restaurant was unnecessarily noisy. Many times throughout dinner we heard dirty dishes crashing into a bin, which is one of our big pet peeves. Overall, this is a nice place to have available to us once in a while, but will not be a regular choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit ParisBillTVIPDined on 3/28/2014The service was great, the food was wonderful and the place is beautiful, what else would you want? Nice, well priced wine selection right on State St, well they have that too. I'm sure we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceMichaelDined on 3/21/2014Exceptional service, great food and great outdoor seating.Special Features:
- We keep going back for more...jdsbVIPDined on 2/16/2014Relais de Paris is one of our favorite local restaurants. We've been there many time and keep returning. Though the menu is rather short, everything on it is excellent. The chef really knows what he is doing and puts out delicious, fresh dishes. Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Very very long wait . It tookOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Very very long wait . It took them about 1 hour to sit us down with the 7 pm reservation . Short on staffSpecial Features:
- Overwhelmed on Saturday nightTheoVIPDined on 2/15/2014Too many patrons, too little organization. Dishes seemed to come out of the kitchen at random, which was hard to fathom considering the very limited menu options. Pommes frites barely lukewarm, although the rest of the meal was good. Our waiter was on the run constantly and it detracted from the service we got. Won't repeat.
- Waiter was a little flusteredOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Waiter was a little flustered as it was a busy night but Colin behind the bar and Marilyn more than made up for that. The owner offered a Rose for the lady of the table on valentines day which was a really nice touch. Highly recommend! Food was good and the decor was spot on creating a good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014Very nice bistro. My wife and I felt very welcomed there. We went for a Valentine's Day lunch (to avoid the evening crowd) and had a wonderful meal. The French Onion Soup was very good! We had the Entrecôte Steak which was excellent. The French Fries awesome! Charming atmosphere and great service.Special Features:
- Best french fries anywhere!katemVIPDined on 1/24/2014We go for the french fries (appetizer) but thoroughly enjoy the entire menu. The bouillabaisse is wonderful--the broth favorable and light. French onion soup perfect. And their signature sauce for steak and fries is so good you want to soak up the leftovers with bread.
- Liked it so much, we ate there 2XAdeleDined on 1/4/2014Really good food. Just like a brasserie in Paris. We had dinner there two days in row. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly FrenchJimDDined on 12/31/2013A wonderful New Year's Eve dinner, with a delicious salmon filet for me, and a spectacular vegan entree for my wife. Our waiter was attentive, knowledgeable, and helpful, and the wine list was extensive and reasonably priced. We loved the pommes frites, too.Special Features:
- More than Steak FritesAlexfosbVIPDined on 12/19/2013This restaurant name is known for their steak frites (as in Paris), but there are other menu selections. It's reasonably priced and pretty good. Would rate it at 3.5 stars, but there isn't that category. Seat by the front window is pleasant, if you can get it.Special Features:
- I love this restaurantkatemVIPDined on 12/5/2013The french fries are the best--everyone in the restaurant was having them as an appetizer. I had the special (bouillabaisse) which was wonderful--the broth was quite flavorful. I do not know why there is not more traffic in this restaurant. It is not your typical French restaurant--the food is not heavy or overly rich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/28/2013great food, even better hosts. Wonderful ambience. Overall, perfect Paris bistro experienceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon Apetit !!FerdieDined on 11/16/2013Good location, easy to find, good food and service. Ambience is excellent. Sparkling water was too expensive though, we really felt like we were in Paris because of the water. Water was more expensive than the wine. The employees were very accommodating. Coffee was good. It was a great experience overall. We miss Paris that is why we decided to have my wife's birthday dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/3/2013We are French and live in Los Angeles. We would absolutely drive another 80miles just to eat there again! It taste exactly like in France. Everything from the mixed green salad to the profiteroles was outstanding. We are already planning our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty disappointedHappyDinerVIPDined on 10/27/2013We have been at this French bistro in the renovated Ruby's Café space a few times now hoping the food and experience would have improved by now being in such a primo location. Unfortunately, that has not yet happened. The menu is very small which was, at first, intriguing but in the end we had little to choose from and ate what amounted to an expensive ham Panini with cheese and fries (incredibly unremarkable fries despite the hype) and shrimp skewers that were suspiciously spicy without reason for scampi (covering bad shrimp?).The staff is nice but the experience is similar to visiting a small sandwich shop in Europe with no fanfare. Conspicuously absent is the French culinary greatness that could be (frogs' legs or bouillabaisse?)
- Disappointed :(FifiDined on 9/28/2013Great ambience too bad the food and service ( the waiter ) were not acceptable. The food was not so "authentic" tasting, just salty and not prepared very well. The waiter did his job, but with an attitude that added to a disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Love Relais de Paris!jdsbVIPDined on 9/27/2013I am surprised by the negatives reviews for Relais de Paris. We've dined there about 10 times and always had wonderful experiences. We have taken friends & family with us to share the joy of this little gem of a restaurant. Though there are some minor weaknesses, they won't keep us from returning time and time again. The pros far out weigh the cons... Cons: Short menu and no specials. Proper (large) wine glasses would be an improvement. Wine list could be expanded, but we often bring our own and pay the modest corkage fee. Pros: EVERYTHING offered on the menu is delicious. The service is great. The room is very nice and comfortable. The bar is quite beautiful. Authentic French food and ambience (it makes us feel like we're back in Paris)Special Features:
- No red wine glasses. NeedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2013No red wine glasses. Need I say more? The place was practically empty.
- Who's on first????podomDined on 8/16/2013The Open Table link "wasn't working" did not have our reservation, after looking at 2-3 empty 2 tops for 15 mins we were seated. Service very disorganized, Both my husband & I have worked in & owned restaurants the gaps in training & running the room were obvious. Food was fair to good (We did love the asparagus appetizer). Had to ask two different wait staff for water when my glass was empty, my husband's wine order a disaster They really need to get a handle on how the dinning room should run and who has responsibility for what. With some organization they probably could have handled the busy night, not have had to turn away the 5-6 parties our main course might have been delivered with warm fries. Probably will not chance it again.
- Loved Relais de Paris!NCG3054Dined on 8/4/2013My husband and I had an outstanding meal here. Our service was excellent, the food incredible, and we loved the ambience. We would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relais experienceMPboVIPDined on 8/2/2013I have eaten at Relais de Paris in Paris, relais de Venise in New York; all maintain the wonderful flavors I first experienced in Paris.....kudos!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.