139 Steuart Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.regionsf.com/
- Phone: 4158961398
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Happy Hours: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm, Sunday: closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Steven Lam
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Region
You can tell much about a restaurant from its signature dish. Region’s specialty is even more revealing as it is a true lost art: the traditional Beijing Duck. Prepared since China's Imperial era and renowned for its crispy skin and mouthwateringly thin cuts of meat, Beijing Duck is properly served hand-carved at the table. Our chefs season and roast fresh duck daily, sourced vigilantly from a small Petaluma farm that specializes in this unique breed. And just like the emperors of old, the slow-roasted Beijing Duck is carved for you personally by our chef tableside, and served with homemade pancakes and delectable sauces. This attention to the history and flavors of Beijing Duck is not found anywhere else in the Bay Area, and is one of the many ways Region brings the Far East to the west.Continued
No one can read Region's menu without embarking on a mouthwateringly new experience. Join us: at Region the Far East has made it all the way to the west.
No one can read Region's menu without embarking on a mouthwateringly new experience. Join us: at Region the Far East has made it all the way to the west.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Region reviews from OpenTable diners
- Asian FusionlocalDined on 3/8/2014Visited on Saturday night and the place was very quiet. Food was excellent, we sampled a bunch of small plates and main dishes and they were all nicely presented, had nice spice balance and great flavor. A very nice find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location for a Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2014I was looking for a place that had great ambiance, good food, and close to work. This fit the bill! Food was excellent! Great asian flair and portions were just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great trendy spot!!Jackievr4VIPDined on 2/14/2014This place is great to go with friends late night..it has a sort of trendy club atmosphere..The service was great though and they had some good Asian fare!! I would love to hang out here again!Special Features:
- Really great place for a dateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014This place is amazing! The food is incredible, the music is good, and drinks are phenomenal. Came for Valentines day and was so worth it. The best fries I have ever had, really worth ordering. This is a place that is really worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Week night mealluv2dineVIPDined on 2/5/2014Is the place new? The place was pretty dead on a Wednesday night. Came here with a Blackboard Eats coupon. Food good, service good, ambience disappointing. Will probably try other local places before revisiting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enigmaMontyVIPDined on 2/4/2014Here we have an enigma. Outstanding food, but a room that is a mish-mash of style and has no sound buffers. The music is loud and voices carry. We aren't sure about service as we were there early and the lovely Loan had to do everything, and she did it well. But she could have used some help.' If you like Beijung Duck this is a place for you. Also, having valet parking in San Fran is always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beijing DuckjanlikebeerVIPDined on 1/16/2014We came for the Beijing Duck, a dish that is apparently not easy to find in San Francisco, and were not disappointed and enjoyed it. The Green Beens were also delicious and well prepared. Service was friendly but a bit overstretched. Overall an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- The bar scene was so largeRobinDined on 1/3/2014The bar scene was so large and noises that it took over the restaurant. We were one of two tables eating in the entire restaurant. The food was good but because happy hour goes till 8 it really makes it unpleasant. There were loud people with drinks surrounding us.Special Features:
- Yummy foodOwlBearDined on 11/22/2013Weird decor but good food. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service slow especially whenOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/28/2013Service slow especially when restaurant wasn't even crowded. Server didn't come by to check on us. My friend said when he looked at the server and saw him, she purposely walked the other way to avoid coming to our table. All we needed was a refill on water. When she finally came around, we asked for water, iced water. The first glasses of water they gave us was luke warm tap water. Didn't feel the service was good and the food was only ok. Would not go back again nor recommend it. However, their sister, restaurant Unicorn was quite the opposite. The service and food were exceptional and the ambiance nice. Just a little noisy.
- Lackluster menuBarbaraVIPDined on 9/25/2013When I arrived for my lunch date at 12 noon, the restaurant was completely empty! Bad sign. I chose the chicken in a clay pot entree and asked them to make it vegetarian by substituting tofu for chicken. The dish was bland and the brocolli was overcooked. Also, they added three beverages (at $3.00 a pop) to my bill which I did not notice on the receipt until I got back to my office. So I was overcharged by $9.00. They give you a hard copy of the receipt but bring an iPad for you to select a gratuity amount, while they stand over you and wait. Not a good overall experience in my mind and I doubt I will return.
- Had the filet mignon carpaccioFoodieBearVIPDined on 9/17/2013Had the filet mignon carpaccio & the duck spring rolls. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Delicious and RomanticChrisBDined on 8/30/2013I arranged a first-date here. We met at seven on a holiday weeknight for small plates, wine and conversation, and were not disappointed. The restaurant was cozy and quiet that night, and we enjoyed the house special Beijing Duck, Spring Rolls, and a spicy Salt & Pepper Baby Octopus over a glass of wine. The staff were helpful and attentive, yet gave us plenty of time and space to talk. I loved the interior design: a vibrant blend of serene Asian garden and Virgin America airliner-inspired ultra-lounge. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor servicemmmfoodDined on 8/30/2013Region seems to be a better bar/night life place. We went there for a business lunch at 12:30 on Friday. There were only four other tables occupied. They play club music.. The food was very good. I enjoyed my salmon and my coworker liked the catfish. When the check arrived the waiter brought an iPad over. They accept payment via square. My coworker didn't understand why an iPad was being shoved in his face. He wasn't wearing his glasses, either. When he asked the waiter what this was for the waiter didn't say a word but shook the iPad in his face until my coworker took it. Soon after, the music stopped, the waiter changed into his street clothes, and we felt we were being kicked out. It was only 2:00. Strange.
- Not goodLarnoldVIPDined on 8/22/2013Service was slow even when we were the only people there. Food was OK but nothing great for SF standards. Really oily. I would not go back again.
- Service was awfulmarlamcdDined on 8/6/2013We were one of only 3 tables on a Tuesday night. The wait staff seemed like we were bothering them when we asked to order. Never saw them again. There was a DJ who played so loud in the dining room that we could barely hear each other.. I don't get it, the music didn't even play in the bar? It was really unfortunate because the food was good and the French fries were fantastic. But I won't go back.Special Features:
- The bill arrived on an iPadOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2013The bill arrived on an iPad that shows suggested tip amounts (15%, 20%). I noticed after I clicked 20% that the suggested percentage amounts on the iPad are based on the full bill including tax (rather than on only the food and beverage, which is customary).Special Features:
- Yogi Berra called it rightWiningaboutMarinVIPDined on 6/24/2013An oft-quoted Yogi-ism - "The place is so popular, no one goes there anymore" is a little apt for Region. Despite good pan-Asian food, the place was empty on a Monday night. We and just a few other parties were able to sample the tasty Beijing Duck, pad thai, and chicken curry. The food was very good (the plating was just average). The place is attractive. One should be warned there is a DJ booth so I would assume there are other times when the place is rocking with noise and people.
- The menu is diverse and tempting...OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/8/2013The menu is diverse and tempting............my guest's clay pot was salty, fishy smelling and inedible as was my cat fish meal. Bad fish cannot be masked! Will not recommend or return.
- Very QuietSuperbDined on 5/4/2013I know this isn't similar to others' reviews, but we found Region to be nearly empty at 6:30pm on a Saturday. Normally we'd wonder why so quiet, maybe the food isn't that good, etc. We did NOT find this to be the case. The food was GREAT. I nearly always order catfish at Asian restaurants, and the catfish hot pot was amazing. Easily the best catfish hotpot I've had in the entirety of San Francisco. Definitely a place to try.Special Features:
- Off night?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/29/2013We went on a Monday and it was not busy at all, which was strange because the restaurants next door were all busy. There was literally only four other people there. The food was okay. Seemed over-priced. The place has a trendy modern feel, but no one was there. Must have been an off night..
- New twist to Asian fusionlindaVIPDined on 4/26/2013New twist to Asian fusion. The entire meal was phenomenal! We had a glass of sparkling white (delicious) to start, followed by truffle fries and their infamous Beijing duck. Yum! For entrees, we ordered the curry coconut fried rice and the pork chop. All dishes were seasoned perfectly. We had to pair the cab and spicy jalepeno margarita to accompany our meal. As good as dessert sounded, we were too stuffed to eat another bite, therefor, we had to forgo dessert this time. We are lookin forward to coming back to try a few other itemsSpecial Features:
- Food is great, loved the PekingChanelVIPDined on 4/24/2013Food is great, loved the Peking duck! Service is average, room for improvement. This place is crowded during happy hour and dinner. This is a great place for lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Great food, but I could haveShoedougDined on 4/23/2013Great food, but I could have done without the pulsing electronica as the music detracted from my enjoyment of the meal.
- we used a travelzoo deal.badinerVIPDined on 4/23/2013we used a travelzoo deal. the beijing duck was great. we all agreed we would return to the restaurant just for that dish. the entrees were good but a bit involved. the beef with potato chips was good but a bit spicy. if we were to return we would want to focus specifically on the duck and the starters and skip the entrees which were a bit pricy.Special Features:
- Food OK, noise level Boeing 747DogtessVIPDined on 4/19/2013We were stunned by the noise level when we entered on A Friday at 6 PM. The bar scene was mobbed with 30 somethings enjoying an end of the week. This is to be expected i guess. However the decibels did not drop much when we were seated behind a glass partition. We continued our conversation with voices just below shouting. Appetizers were quite good but entre's were lukewarm (salmon and noodles). Service was slow to average. Will not returnSpecial Features:
- Ate lunch and ordered fries,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2013Ate lunch and ordered fries, octopus and duck. Duck was the best, delicious. I will come back for that. The octopus was pretty good. I did not like the fries. The host at the front was excellent, great customer service. He is friendly and helpful.
- Therew was an issue aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/19/2013Therew was an issue about using groupon, only accepted late afternoons. Around 3:00 p.m. they opened up the sewage and smelled up the area we were eating at...Special Features:
- A Great Evening At RegionnanwebwareDined on 4/18/2013I really liked Region. It's in a great area- very alive and easy to get to, and even though it seemed like a place for a younger crowd, we were warmly welcomed as an older couple and had a very nice evening. I started out with the ginger/jalapeno margarita after first asking what it tasted like. I was told it was really good and tasted like a regular margarita but with more depth. It was great! We ordered their signature appetizer dish of the duck in crepes and it was really delicious. The meat was moist and the skin was crispy. The service people were very friendly and very helpful. The young couple next to us talked to their waitress for almost 5 minutes - I almost expected then to ask her to sit down and join them for a drink!
- Overpriced chinese food. WevgalanterDined on 4/18/2013Overpriced chinese food. We were not impressed with quality nor with cervice, however, very impressed with whooping prices for chinese food.Special Features:
- Great food and Large PortionwWinerDinerDined on 4/5/2013The food was delicious, and the portions are family style. The best Peking duck I have eaten, and the Pork shank was awesome.Special Features:
- used a travelzoo voucher forebuenaVIPDined on 4/3/2013used a travelzoo voucher for this visit. had the sizzling rice soup which was delicious! enjoyed our entrees and loved our fried banana for dessert. overall, a nice evening out!Special Features:
- This was our first visit toDinerJVIPDined on 3/18/2013This was our first visit to Region -- my husband and I were very impressed with the food & service. The menu was Asian-influenced, with a modern twist. We tried a couple of the appetizers and entrees and everything was a hit! Great decor and lighting in the restaurant -- cool vibe. Great place for a date night or for going out with a group of friends. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2013The food was hit or miss. Our Peking duck was fantastic, but both of our main courses of shrimp and pork were really overcooked. Dessert was just fine. Our waiter was courteous, but didn't really seem to like his job. Couldn't give much of a recommendation on dishes and was not particularly enthusiastic. Did the bare minimum. The atmosphere was nice. Not a bad experience, but with so many amazing restaurants in the Bay Area, we won't be back.Special Features:
- I would say that my overallOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/5/2013I would say that my overall experience here was great. I was a bit upset that we didn't get seated for over 30 minutes after my reservation time (and this is after watching other couples geting seated without reservations). I will give the service another try as I enjoyed the food.
- The food was unique and burstingSFDonDined on 2/22/2013The food was unique and bursting with flavors. (Who would have thought of potato chips in the Mongolian beef? ) The ambiance was artful and comfortable, and the service was wonderful. We had a lovely evening. .. though it was pricey.Special Features:
- Came on a Sunday night, hadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013Came on a Sunday night, had 6pm reservations. We came about 10 min early& were seated right away. The dining area was completely empty when we were seated. one other couple was seated not long after us. We ordered the Peking duck as appetizer-tasted great. Before we finished the appetizer, our entrees came. They piled the entrees onto the table when there wasn't much room. Seemed like they were in a hurry to get us out, not sure why, because there was only maybe 2 or 3 other tables occupied. I had the lambshank , it was ok. My boyfriend had mongolian beef- i've had better mongolian beef. After our table was cleared, we waited quite a while to get our bill, then waited some more to get them to take our payment.service poor as night got busy
- Good food and excellent serviceSF2103VIPDined on 2/9/2013Good food and excellent service with many varieties of Asian dishesSpecial Features:
- Food was not very tasty. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/6/2013Food was not very tasty. Service was very friendly. I wouldn't go back.
- A wonderful find! The BeijingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/5/2013A wonderful find! The Beijing Duck was an outstanding appetizer and the Basa fish was fabulous!Special Features: