Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.reefhouston.com/index.htm
- Phone: 7135268282
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Reef
Expertly prepared seafood with Gulf Coast, Mediterranean and Asian influences reflects culinary sophistication never-before seen among Houston’s high-profile restaurant scene. Imagine such delectable dishes as salted slow-baked salmon atop lemon risotto, crispy-skin snapper garnished by sweet and sour chard, grilled scallops aside truffle polenta and tempura batter-bronzed soft-shell crab enhanced with slightly sweet yet also sour vinaigrette. Venturing beyond traditional boundaries, less-known tilefish, triggerfish, wahoo, cobia and Rockport-caught tripletail are frequently showcased with savory brilContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Reef reviews from OpenTable diners
359 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (251)notable wine list (204)special occasion (179)hot spot (122)good for groups (111)neighborhood gem (92)great for lunch (74)vibrant bar scene (62)romantic (61)late-night find (19)great for brunch (18)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- A Great DatecosgroveDined on 9/16/2014I took my husband for his birthday. I surprised him with this dinner. I asked him to dress up. But he enjoys shirts, shirt, boat shoes. Nobody treated us differently than the men in suits. From the bartender to the wait staff, we were so impressed. The food was fresh and innovative. I have no complaints. They even gave us a free dessert for my husband's birthday. I wish I would have been there sooner!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service and FoodJenGDined on 9/15/2014This was my first visit, though Reef has "been on my list" for quite some time. The service was outstanding - from the reservation process through the dining experience. We had a business dinner with one of our key underwriters, and the staff at Reef accomodated every request. The food met every expectation from Reef's reputation. Of note were the grouper, ceviche, meyer lemon risotto with pepper oil, brussels sprouts...Special Features:
- For fans of fine fishDelighted2dineDined on 9/15/2014Reef's menu has flavor influences of fine fish flavored from around the world. The Korean/ Japanese influenced tempura soft shell crab was so delicious we returned the next night to have it again! The knowledge and friendliness of the servers and restauranteurs far surpassed many restaurants. The wine recommendations were well thought out. The atmosphere is smart, fresh and informal, perfect for after a day at work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014The #1 restaurant in Houston, food is incredible, service magnificentSpecial Features:
- Outstanding seafood!mfh2261Dined on 9/12/2014The entire experience at Reef was outstanding. We got there on a busy Friday night, but were seated immediately even though we were early for our reservation. The waiter was helpful and knowledgable about the menu and made useful suggestions. The appetizers were good portioned and outstanding in taste. The entrees were just spectacular. I especially recommend the tuna with Brussels sprouts - it was delicious. We were never rushed and had plenty of time to enjoy the experience. Worth the plane flight from the East Coast for this meal!Special Features:
- Happy 55th to Me!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014I chose Reef for my 55th birthday dinner and am very glad I did. All 8 of us give it thumbs up. Starters included ceviche, tuna tiradito, fried oysters, beefsteak tomatoes with onion rings and wedge salads. The entrees were redfish on the half shell, crispy skin snapper, salmon over risotto, scallops, cobia and soft shell crab. Of course, we ordered plenty of sides of the iconic fried mac & cheese for sharing along with the tasty ponzu glazed brussels sprouts. We found a great prosecco for starters and an Italian white for the rest of the evening. Reef's incredible pricing on wine makes even an evening with 8 drinking an affordable party. Even with a full house, our party of 8 was well taken care of all night by Debi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GMBHDined on 9/11/2014Delicious food. Ambiance is better after dark, a bit industrial during the day.
- Excellent meal, consistent qualityGiulioDined on 9/10/2014if you are looking for perfectly executed, high quality fish dishes, this is the place.Special Features:
- FreshpeddocDined on 9/10/2014This was a great meal. The appetizers were good but the entrees were great. The triple tail was the most delicious fish I have ever eaten. Our waiter was informative and attentive. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningPearlandAggieDined on 9/10/2014My spouse and I had a gift certificate for Reef. We both thought the design of the restaurant screamed seafood, which is exactly what the showcase. Our service was excellent. All of the food was also very good. I really enjoyed the pretzel rolls they gave us while we waited for our main entrees and the ice cream shooter that came with our dessert. All of the food was quite excellent.Special Features:
- A "regular's" observationBWmsonDined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed Tripletail, but a bit over cooked. A chef's inattention, I suspect. Dessert of Vietnamese coffee tart was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Service!KristinDined on 9/9/2014Our server was extremely knowledgeable over the menu and his recommendations and how he recommended them would sell anyone on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nevers failsMelockeDined on 9/9/2014Although it doesn't have the greatest ambiance in the world, the food is world class and is our first choice for special ocassions. We chose the Reef to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The food was great and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- REEF is a great spotshakhanehDined on 9/9/2014Every chance I am in Houston, I will go to REEF. The food and wine are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- texasgirlDined on 9/9/2014The food was good and presented well. The Peach Cobbler was prepared in a way that I've not had before; it was different and good. The waitress we had was very knowledgeable of how the food was prepared and was helpful by suggesting dishes. The noise level was okay, but it might be louder as the restaurant filled up.Special Features:
- Good timeDiningOutDined on 9/6/2014We loved the fried mac n cheese. I plan to go back to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there for birthdaySunshineSicily12Dined on 9/6/2014Went there Saturday night for birthday, service is ok, but food wasn't very impressive, feel little overpriced. Atomsphere is wonderful, nice bar scene and indoor decor.Special Features:
- Continued excellenceBigtkirkDined on 9/6/2014Reef remains Houston's best seafood restaurant. A true gem.Special Features:
- It was outstanding as alwaysDispleasedDined on 9/6/2014Outstanding food and service - what else can you ask for.Special Features:
- Outstanding dinner at ReefmacoVIPDined on 9/6/2014Our party of five selected a three course menu that was fabulous - Tempura soft-shell blue crab; Beefsteak tomato and onion salad; Entree of roasted grouper with sides of sweet corn pudding and grilled peach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJLDinerDined on 9/5/2014Overall a great dinner experience, the food is delicious and a fresh menu daily based on te morning's catch. Excellent & attentive service by 2 waitresses. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!Houstonian42Dined on 9/5/2014Awesome food in an interesting setup. Ask for a table on a side for less noise.. That Gulf crab carbonara was outstanding - and we were very happy to find a restaurant that doesn't overlook the dessert part. Try the financier or the lemon tart, very nice!Special Features:
- repeat visitJimRDined on 9/5/2014the only thing I dont like about Reef is that the food portions are too small(for me). I know when I go there that i will have to order an extra side of somethingSpecial Features:
- Red FishfoodworldVIPDined on 9/4/2014specially went there twice just to have red fish with fried mac n cheese. worth going back!Special Features:
- Excellent Late LunchRicMoreThanThreeCharsDined on 9/4/2014We arrived about 2:30 PM and had the Reef all to ourselves. We had a 2-For appetizer, Gumbo and Shrimp Salad. The Gumbo was spiced perfect and filled with Seafood and Sausage; one of the best I have every had. The vinaigrette on the salad was excellent as well. My date had the Slow Baked Salmon and she loved it; cooked perfectly! I think the Meyer Lemon offset the heavier taste of the thick slice of salmon filet. I was only allowed one taste, but that's what I thought. I had the Crab Carbonare; a very generous amount of crab, bacon, peppers ... with a medium portion of pasta. I though the sauce complemented and enhanced the crab without competing with it. It was a marvelous lunch meal; can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Houston's top 5qwertyDined on 9/4/2014Never let's me down. Recently had a work lunch and the entire experience was fantastic. They tweeted my reservation respectfully, accommodated one more guest, and the food was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goes the Extra MileRaidV92CDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic food and service. I took two very good customers there for lunch last week after telling them about the restaurant several weeks ago. I specifically raved about the Red Fish on the half shell with fried macaroni and cheese. I was disappointed to see that it was not on the lunch menu. When I mentioned it to our waiter he immediately told me that he would check and see if they could prepare it for my guests. They could. They did. And, it was wonderful. My customers absolutely loved every bit of the meal. My waiter was outstanding.Special Features:
- Always creative!LindaRVIPDined on 9/3/2014Reef was great the other night and never disappoints. the most creative seafood restaurant in town!Special Features:
- Great Birthday Group Dinner!darynelizabethDined on 8/30/2014Went to Reef for a friends birthday, the mini "no minors" milkshakes were a fabulous surprise - they are delicious! Food was great (as always) and service was good although under par compared to every other time there. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates good seafood and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 8/30/2014We have visited Reef many times and have taken friends and recommended this restaurant to many people. However last Saturday was a completely different experience. There was a mix if waiters, some , many, were not in the black jackets. It appeared that there had been a shortage of wait staff. The food was not good. I asked for my tuna to be medium and was raw! Looked like it had be thrown on the plate. Not a good selection of different fish. Extremely disappointing. This is usually a top class restaurant.Special Features:
- Southern Seafood at its bestlecraig77Dined on 8/30/2014Incredible wine list and unique fusion of high quality seafood and southern cuisine. An incredible dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was incredible.datenightDined on 8/29/2014I had the grouper and it was very tasty. My husband had the pork chops and it was cooked to perfection and he like the Korean flavors. Service was nice and fast. Manager was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud to visit.SueBDined on 8/27/2014Food ok, nothing special. Had to send scallops back twice as they were raw. Brussels sprouts way to sweet. Our waitress was the only good experience. She was wonderful & I failed to get her name because it was so loud!
- Great food and great wineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014The food was delicious. Tuna tartar and butter shrimp. Wonderful Flavors and textures. The wine list is a steal. We had a Bandol rose and a Paul Hobbs Pinot noir. Both prices just above retail! A great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out-of-town guests delighted60FoodieDined on 8/23/2014This past weekend we hosted out-of-town friends who are all 'foodies' so we selected REEF to show off our fantastic local cuisine. JJ was our server and he made the evening even more enjoyable. Of course the food was fantastic--we had 6 different dishes so got to share bites. This is definitely a place we will revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as Always!SonyaDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Reef several times and it never disappoints! They have a great wine list with very reasonable prices, fresh seafood and interesting menu options. I always get the mussels and oysters! Our waiter was just "okay" this time around , but I typically get outstanding service. He was not very informative when we had questions about the menu, not very outgoing and hospitable, but maybe he was very busy. Overall, I would absolutely reccommend Reef!Special Features:
- The seafood placePeteDined on 8/23/2014The cobia was excellent, the snapper somewhat soft, extensive wine list, good service...a good experience,I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent 2nd time aroundGreatDined on 8/22/2014I live in Southern California I often return to Houston for business and pleasure. We so much enjoyed the service the outstanding food and very knowledgeable waitstaff highly recommend reef as one of The most outstanding restaurants in HoustonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesLuvsfishVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is our go to for a great dinner. Never disappoints!
- Birthday celebrationLolliVIPDined on 8/22/20147 of us dined here and the food was outstanding. The bar tender over and beyond for our group. Scallops and Brussel sprouts were divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.