Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.reefhouston.com/index.htm
- Phone: 7135268282
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Reef
Expertly prepared seafood with Gulf Coast, Mediterranean and Asian influences reflects culinary sophistication never-before seen among Houston’s high-profile restaurant scene. Imagine such delectable dishes as salted slow-baked salmon atop lemon risotto, crispy-skin snapper garnished by sweet and sour chard, grilled scallops aside truffle polenta and tempura batter-bronzed soft-shell crab enhanced with slightly sweet yet also sour vinaigrette. Venturing beyond traditional boundaries, less-known tilefish, triggerfish, wahoo, cobia and Rockport-caught tripletail are frequently showcased with savory brilContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Reef reviews from OpenTable diners
355 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (248)notable wine list (205)special occasion (177)hot spot (127)good for groups (110)neighborhood gem (94)great for lunch (74)vibrant bar scene (63)romantic (61)late-night find (21)great for brunch (17)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Best seafood restaurant in the USAOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014I went to view expecting to wear a tuxedo and tail but found business casual just right food is five-star and out of the many seafood places in th gulf that's hard to come by. Service is grade A the food came in a short amount of time love the ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night at the Reef!Angiemae9Dined on 9/27/2014Been here several times and it is consistently a great place to go! Excellent cocktails..one of the best French 75 in town! Very good food and service to complete the experience! Will keep coming to ReefSpecial Features:
- freemasonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014Wont go back. Maybe I'm the wrong guy to rate this "nouvelle" place because I am partial to seafood served in a more straightforward manner that emphasizes freshness and simplicity over "presentation" . Thus, I found the place somewhat pretentious and overpriced for what you get. The food was decent and probably of high quality but if you're looking for a fresh slab of halibut out of the broiler, you wont get what you it . Nothing green on the plate, by the way, and for these prices I thought that was an overreach.Special Features:
- Great food but service was not highExcellentVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great food and atmosphere. Service was a little off. It took a long time for our waiter to come to the table. We wanted sparkling water to start and the person with the water tried to fill our glass 3 times before the waiter even got to us. We ended up taking our glasses and turning them over so they would stop trying to fill them. Again, great food and atmosphere. It's unfortunate that service kinda of ruined the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll know why you've heard of itJungleJimDined on 9/26/2014Once you've been to Reef, you'll know why it's one of the best restaurants in Houston. The menu changes with what ingredients the chef can procure fresh, so you know you're getting only what he considers to be the best, not just what he's done before. Every experience I've had with Reef has always exceeded expectations and kept me coming back.Special Features:
- Great food but pushy serviceNelsonDined on 9/25/2014Waiter kept coming around every 10 min to ask if we were done or if we wanted more alcohol. Too frequent and pushy for my taste. I have been there 4 times and it now seems that the good waiters are gone and replaced by beginners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EntrespumpkinheadDined on 9/24/2014We had another business lunch, with gumbo, which was outstanding, and all of our group had the tuna, as good as any served anywhere. I had the scallops with a vegetable puree, delightful. This little charm continues to be a great place for lunch or dinner. The wine list is well though out and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- VeLiseDined on 9/23/2014I had the pork chops which were awesome and who can resist the fried Mac & Cheese. All and all, it was a yummy night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still AmazingVinoRojoDined on 9/22/2014The quality of the food, the preparation and service is nothing short of outstanding. A great place to go for lunch. The wine list is extensive and very appropriately priced.Special Features:
- A Great DatecosgroveDined on 9/16/2014I took my husband for his birthday. I surprised him with this dinner. I asked him to dress up. But he enjoys shirts, shirt, boat shoes. Nobody treated us differently than the men in suits. From the bartender to the wait staff, we were so impressed. The food was fresh and innovative. I have no complaints. They even gave us a free dessert for my husband's birthday. I wish I would have been there sooner!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service and FoodJenGDined on 9/15/2014This was my first visit, though Reef has "been on my list" for quite some time. The service was outstanding - from the reservation process through the dining experience. We had a business dinner with one of our key underwriters, and the staff at Reef accomodated every request. The food met every expectation from Reef's reputation. Of note were the grouper, ceviche, meyer lemon risotto with pepper oil, brussels sprouts...Special Features:
- For fans of fine fishDelighted2dineDined on 9/15/2014Reef's menu has flavor influences of fine fish flavored from around the world. The Korean/ Japanese influenced tempura soft shell crab was so delicious we returned the next night to have it again! The knowledge and friendliness of the servers and restauranteurs far surpassed many restaurants. The wine recommendations were well thought out. The atmosphere is smart, fresh and informal, perfect for after a day at work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014The #1 restaurant in Houston, food is incredible, service magnificentSpecial Features:
- Outstanding seafood!mfh2261Dined on 9/12/2014The entire experience at Reef was outstanding. We got there on a busy Friday night, but were seated immediately even though we were early for our reservation. The waiter was helpful and knowledgable about the menu and made useful suggestions. The appetizers were good portioned and outstanding in taste. The entrees were just spectacular. I especially recommend the tuna with Brussels sprouts - it was delicious. We were never rushed and had plenty of time to enjoy the experience. Worth the plane flight from the East Coast for this meal!Special Features:
- Happy 55th to Me!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014I chose Reef for my 55th birthday dinner and am very glad I did. All 8 of us give it thumbs up. Starters included ceviche, tuna tiradito, fried oysters, beefsteak tomatoes with onion rings and wedge salads. The entrees were redfish on the half shell, crispy skin snapper, salmon over risotto, scallops, cobia and soft shell crab. Of course, we ordered plenty of sides of the iconic fried mac & cheese for sharing along with the tasty ponzu glazed brussels sprouts. We found a great prosecco for starters and an Italian white for the rest of the evening. Reef's incredible pricing on wine makes even an evening with 8 drinking an affordable party. Even with a full house, our party of 8 was well taken care of all night by Debi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GMBHDined on 9/11/2014Delicious food. Ambiance is better after dark, a bit industrial during the day.
- Excellent meal, consistent qualityGiulioDined on 9/10/2014if you are looking for perfectly executed, high quality fish dishes, this is the place.Special Features:
- FreshpeddocDined on 9/10/2014This was a great meal. The appetizers were good but the entrees were great. The triple tail was the most delicious fish I have ever eaten. Our waiter was informative and attentive. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningPearlandAggieDined on 9/10/2014My spouse and I had a gift certificate for Reef. We both thought the design of the restaurant screamed seafood, which is exactly what the showcase. Our service was excellent. All of the food was also very good. I really enjoyed the pretzel rolls they gave us while we waited for our main entrees and the ice cream shooter that came with our dessert. All of the food was quite excellent.Special Features:
- A "regular's" observationBWmsonDined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed Tripletail, but a bit over cooked. A chef's inattention, I suspect. Dessert of Vietnamese coffee tart was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Service!KristinDined on 9/9/2014Our server was extremely knowledgeable over the menu and his recommendations and how he recommended them would sell anyone on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nevers failsMelockeDined on 9/9/2014Although it doesn't have the greatest ambiance in the world, the food is world class and is our first choice for special ocassions. We chose the Reef to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The food was great and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- REEF is a great spotshakhanehDined on 9/9/2014Every chance I am in Houston, I will go to REEF. The food and wine are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- texasgirlDined on 9/9/2014The food was good and presented well. The Peach Cobbler was prepared in a way that I've not had before; it was different and good. The waitress we had was very knowledgeable of how the food was prepared and was helpful by suggesting dishes. The noise level was okay, but it might be louder as the restaurant filled up.Special Features:
- Good timeDiningOutDined on 9/6/2014We loved the fried mac n cheese. I plan to go back to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there for birthdaySunshineSicily12Dined on 9/6/2014Went there Saturday night for birthday, service is ok, but food wasn't very impressive, feel little overpriced. Atomsphere is wonderful, nice bar scene and indoor decor.Special Features:
- Continued excellenceBigtkirkDined on 9/6/2014Reef remains Houston's best seafood restaurant. A true gem.Special Features:
- It was outstanding as alwaysDispleasedDined on 9/6/2014Outstanding food and service - what else can you ask for.Special Features:
- Outstanding dinner at ReefmacoVIPDined on 9/6/2014Our party of five selected a three course menu that was fabulous - Tempura soft-shell blue crab; Beefsteak tomato and onion salad; Entree of roasted grouper with sides of sweet corn pudding and grilled peach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJLDinerDined on 9/5/2014Overall a great dinner experience, the food is delicious and a fresh menu daily based on te morning's catch. Excellent & attentive service by 2 waitresses. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!Houstonian42Dined on 9/5/2014Awesome food in an interesting setup. Ask for a table on a side for less noise.. That Gulf crab carbonara was outstanding - and we were very happy to find a restaurant that doesn't overlook the dessert part. Try the financier or the lemon tart, very nice!Special Features:
- repeat visitJimRDined on 9/5/2014the only thing I dont like about Reef is that the food portions are too small(for me). I know when I go there that i will have to order an extra side of somethingSpecial Features:
- Red FishfoodworldVIPDined on 9/4/2014specially went there twice just to have red fish with fried mac n cheese. worth going back!Special Features:
- Excellent Late LunchRicMoreThanThreeCharsDined on 9/4/2014We arrived about 2:30 PM and had the Reef all to ourselves. We had a 2-For appetizer, Gumbo and Shrimp Salad. The Gumbo was spiced perfect and filled with Seafood and Sausage; one of the best I have every had. The vinaigrette on the salad was excellent as well. My date had the Slow Baked Salmon and she loved it; cooked perfectly! I think the Meyer Lemon offset the heavier taste of the thick slice of salmon filet. I was only allowed one taste, but that's what I thought. I had the Crab Carbonare; a very generous amount of crab, bacon, peppers ... with a medium portion of pasta. I though the sauce complemented and enhanced the crab without competing with it. It was a marvelous lunch meal; can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Houston's top 5qwertyDined on 9/4/2014Never let's me down. Recently had a work lunch and the entire experience was fantastic. They tweeted my reservation respectfully, accommodated one more guest, and the food was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goes the Extra MileRaidV92CDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic food and service. I took two very good customers there for lunch last week after telling them about the restaurant several weeks ago. I specifically raved about the Red Fish on the half shell with fried macaroni and cheese. I was disappointed to see that it was not on the lunch menu. When I mentioned it to our waiter he immediately told me that he would check and see if they could prepare it for my guests. They could. They did. And, it was wonderful. My customers absolutely loved every bit of the meal. My waiter was outstanding.Special Features:
- Always creative!LindaRVIPDined on 9/3/2014Reef was great the other night and never disappoints. the most creative seafood restaurant in town!Special Features:
- Great Birthday Group Dinner!darynelizabethDined on 8/30/2014Went to Reef for a friends birthday, the mini "no minors" milkshakes were a fabulous surprise - they are delicious! Food was great (as always) and service was good although under par compared to every other time there. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates good seafood and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We have visited Reef many times and have taken friends and recommended this restaurant to many people. However last Saturday was a completely different experience. There was a mix if waiters, some , many, were not in the black jackets. It appeared that there had been a shortage of wait staff. The food was not good. I asked for my tuna to be medium and was raw! Looked like it had be thrown on the plate. Not a good selection of different fish. Extremely disappointing. This is usually a top class restaurant.Special Features:
- Southern Seafood at its bestlecraig77Dined on 8/30/2014Incredible wine list and unique fusion of high quality seafood and southern cuisine. An incredible dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.