Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.reefhouston.com/index.htm
- Phone: 7135268282
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Reef
Expertly prepared seafood with Gulf Coast, Mediterranean and Asian influences reflects culinary sophistication never-before seen among Houston’s high-profile restaurant scene. Imagine such delectable dishes as salted slow-baked salmon atop lemon risotto, crispy-skin snapper garnished by sweet and sour chard, grilled scallops aside truffle polenta and tempura batter-bronzed soft-shell crab enhanced with slightly sweet yet also sour vinaigrette. Venturing beyond traditional boundaries, less-known tilefish, triggerfish, wahoo, cobia and Rockport-caught tripletail are frequently showcased with savory brilContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Reef reviews from OpenTable diners
343 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (236)notable wine list (188)special occasion (165)hot spot (120)good for groups (102)neighborhood gem (81)romantic (57)great for lunch (55)vibrant bar scene (55)late-night find (22)great for brunch (10)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014This was one of the best seafood restaurants we have been to from how the fish is selected to how it is prepared. The jalapeno jelly is to die for and the mussels and broth was some of the best I had. The broth alone was worthy of bread dunking. The bread was made fresh and was hot, combined with the jalapeno jelly, was exemplary. We appreciated that the chef took so much pride in his work and our server was extremely knowledgeable and went out of his way to tell us about the food. In fact, the server was the reason we tried so many dishes, and we were not disappointed. If you go to the Reef, make sure you are served by Cesile. He knows his food and was great at his job. Superb.Special Features:
- Perfect for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The ambiance is perfect for date night or a night on the town. I took my boyfriend out for his birthday, and he loved it. The pork chops are amazing. I also had a few keylime martinis with the graham cracker rim, they were great. I will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Went right at 5PM and there were only a few tables filled. Once we left it started filling up. The service was prompt and any questions we had about possible recommendations were answered adequately. The food tasted great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014In seven years of eating at Reef, I had never tried the Pork Chop mainly because I love the variety of seafood offerings but I have been intrigued by it ever since Marc Forgione [winner of Chef Caswell's season of Next Iron Chef] called it one of the Best Things he Ever Ate. This trip I was determined to have the Pork Chop and am I ever glad that I did. It was simply spectacular!! I started off with the Baked Oysters, Reef's take on Rockefeller. My wife had the Tempura Soft Shell Crab and we split the Fried Mac and Cheese and the Ponzu Glazed Brussels Sprouts. As always, the incredibly priced wine list provided a perfect bottle to round out our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic DinnerFirefoxDined on 10/23/2014Everything was great. I highly recommend Reef. Service, food and atmosphere was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014Always a favorite, new item on the menu is butter shrimp w/crispy rice.... excellentSpecial Features:
- Worst restaurant in HoustonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014My husbands birthday. The waiter was very rude . No manners what ever when serving, reaching over heads. Forgot to place orders to chef. Food was horrible. Took my credit card (did use) to give the appropriate tip and he kept it. He thought it was a gift card. (Master Card all over the card). My party of 5 included my husband who is a prominent Dentist along with my in-laws one who is a very prominent national recording artist. We eat out 4-5 nights per week at other upscale restaurants in this our hometown and this was the worst experience we have ever had. Do not plan to ever return or suggest this place to any of our friends.
- Awesome place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Every course was perfect!!! Guaranteed a phenomenal meal!! A great staff!! An amazing experience!! Highly recommended!!!! Can't wait to come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner at ReefMaggieDined on 10/21/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The food was creative, fresh and delicious. On this trip, one highlight was our waiter who was enthusiastic about the food and his recommendations were spot on. This is the kind of place you want to regularly visit.Special Features:
- Very good but not perfectSt8kluversDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had dinner with my boss and his wife. This was our second time to dine at Reef. The simpleness of the restaurant, from the plain tables, recycled paper menues and coasters is ironically and wonderfully elegant. Our waiter was very knowledgeable (made an excellent wine recommendation) but he seemed just a little too sure of himself. I had the gumbo and the salmon. Both were fantastic. My wife ordered the red fish. She was slightly disappointed. It was a tad dry, but Mac n cheeses was out of this world. We shared the brussel sprouts. They were good but were prepared with an unnecessary glaze of some sort. We find most restaurants cover sprouts with something, rather than let the wonderful sprout taste speak for itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding nightmicahloves2eatDined on 10/18/2014The food, the wine, and the service were top notch. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:
- Great food andrviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Food and service were great😊but a little too loud😐Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Dinner at the Reef was very enjoyable. For a "seafood" restaurant, we heard the pork chops were very good and they were fabulous. We have been to The Reef before and enjoyed is as much the second time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchSCarDined on 10/17/2014Great place for a business lunch. Food is consistently good. Service is generally solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectDined on 10/15/2014The Ambiance, food and service was excellent! It was a special occasion and your staff made is perfect! Thank you and I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outannieDined on 10/15/2014If you like seafood - this is the place to go. My dining partners had the mussels and redfish on the half shell(rated both very good), gumbo(very spicy) and charred rice(sadly, very light on the shrimp). I had the brussel sprouts which had a nice sauce but were still very, very crunchy - not fully cooked. The fried mac and cheese is a novelty - good if you like lots of crust - very filling. The atmosphere is lively, if loud - nice 'industrial' feel. Service staff are very good - meeting needs without being overly intrusive.Special Features:
- Great menu!ImsassymolassyDined on 10/14/2014The quality of the food was amazing. We had appetizers through dessert and all of them blew me away.Special Features:
- YummyQuandryDined on 10/14/2014Excellent meal. The fried oysters are among the best I've eaten. The shrimp and rice dish with chili paste was very good. Nice combination of flavors and the shrimp were perfect. The cocktails were also outstanding. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- WrightstarDined on 10/14/2014Good food; however, the restaurant was packed by 6:00 p.m. and attention to service slowed. I appreciated the tablecloth provided for my birthday. It was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014We arrived early and ordered wonderful cocktails at the bar While we also asked. For recommendations The were spot on..pork chop and snapper on half shell,,deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodisthefocusDined on 10/11/2014Very good atmosphere, great food. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 1st impression.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The staff were very attentive and courteous. It was my first time there and won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShoebuddyshoebuddyVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food and wine list cannot be beat. The pork chop is award winning and there isn't anything on the menu not tasty. Bryan and Bill are there every night and are always grateful for the business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodLTorgersonDined on 10/9/2014wonderful fish meals, great ceviche and mussels starters, terrific wine list with low mark-up -- great value, NOT good service: rushed, unfriendly, food came before wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing- Reef's gone downhillExperienceddinerDined on 10/7/2014I selected Reef for dinner with an out-of-town business colleague specifically because my prior visit was memorable for great food & gracious service. What a disappointment, & how embarrassing after I'd bragged to my colleague on the food and the service! I can't properly describe the food in any other words than "just plain bad". The soft-shell crab appetizer and the calamari appetizer were both way overcooked - fried food can be lovely ... unless it's fried into oblivion. The entrees were no better. Truly, truly disappointing. I could be more understanding of the poor food if it hadn't been for the experience of one of the rudest, most unpleasant waitstaff I've ever experienced in any restaurant. No longer on my "go to" list!
- Reef no moreJGTXVIPDined on 10/6/2014Business lunch. Thought I would give Reef another chance. But unfortunately nothing has changed since my last visit. Food was mediocre. Service was good. Need to see new dishes. Creativity seems to be lost.Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 10/4/2014Great food and atmosphere! Snapper Carpacchio was absolutely delicious! Steamed mussels and Grouper followed and did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish restaurant?Looking4goodseafoodDined on 10/4/2014Our appetizer and my dessert were amazing; the reason we picked Reef was for the seafood. Surprisingly, we both found this part of the meal wanting. I've had much better seared scallops and the mahi mahi was over cooked, dry. Neither was very warm; a bit disappointing. The noise level in the restaurant was high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience!dlb1Dined on 10/4/2014The oysters were so good I had to get a second plate of them. Every dish looked as good as it tasted.Special Features:
- just OK except the "Tip policy"LolaDined on 10/4/2014Party of five, two of us had been to this restaurant 2 times before. 5.30 and were out of baked oysters, got fried instead (can't you bake more?), normally you get bread right away we had to ask for it when our appetizers came. The worst was at the end, I got my check and the tip section was already filled with a 20%tip (and if it had been worth it I would have sign but it was far from that percentage), I asked and the waiter told me that the restaurant had that policy, when I asked where was that stated he got nervous and got me a new receipt. I asked at the reception about this policy and none of the hostess knew if they had it, so I just informed them what was going on. I'm not returning to this restaurant, third time was not a charm.Special Features:
- Great Experience at the ReefDeeDeeDined on 10/3/2014Four of us had dinner there last Friday night, our first time. We had so much fun, the service was outstanding and the food choices were interesting, varied and delicious.Special Features:
- Best seafood restaurant in the USAmidnight32Dined on 9/29/2014I went to view expecting to wear a tuxedo and tail but found business casual just right food is five-star and out of the many seafood places in th gulf that's hard to come by. Service is grade A the food came in a short amount of time love the ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerryTerryDined on 9/27/2014The food is outstanding and our waiter made the experience more enjoyable. The thyme ice cream is spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night at the Reef!Angiemae9Dined on 9/27/2014Been here several times and it is consistently a great place to go! Excellent cocktails..one of the best French 75 in town! Very good food and service to complete the experience! Will keep coming to ReefSpecial Features:
- freemasonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014Wont go back. Maybe I'm the wrong guy to rate this "nouvelle" place because I am partial to seafood served in a more straightforward manner that emphasizes freshness and simplicity over "presentation" . Thus, I found the place somewhat pretentious and overpriced for what you get. The food was decent and probably of high quality but if you're looking for a fresh slab of halibut out of the broiler, you wont get what you it . Nothing green on the plate, by the way, and for these prices I thought that was an overreach.Special Features:
- Great food but service was not highExcellentVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great food and atmosphere. Service was a little off. It took a long time for our waiter to come to the table. We wanted sparkling water to start and the person with the water tried to fill our glass 3 times before the waiter even got to us. We ended up taking our glasses and turning them over so they would stop trying to fill them. Again, great food and atmosphere. It's unfortunate that service kinda of ruined the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll know why you've heard of itJungleJimDined on 9/26/2014Once you've been to Reef, you'll know why it's one of the best restaurants in Houston. The menu changes with what ingredients the chef can procure fresh, so you know you're getting only what he considers to be the best, not just what he's done before. Every experience I've had with Reef has always exceeded expectations and kept me coming back.Special Features:
- Great food but pushy serviceNelsonDined on 9/25/2014Waiter kept coming around every 10 min to ask if we were done or if we wanted more alcohol. Too frequent and pushy for my taste. I have been there 4 times and it now seems that the good waiters are gone and replaced by beginners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EntrespumpkinheadDined on 9/24/2014We had another business lunch, with gumbo, which was outstanding, and all of our group had the tuna, as good as any served anywhere. I had the scallops with a vegetable puree, delightful. This little charm continues to be a great place for lunch or dinner. The wine list is well though out and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- VeLiseDined on 9/23/2014I had the pork chops which were awesome and who can resist the fried Mac & Cheese. All and all, it was a yummy night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.