7121 Bethesda Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redwoodbethesda.com/
- Phone: 3016565515x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: 11:30am - 2:30pm :: Mon - Fri
DINNER: 5:30pm - 9:00pm :: Mon - Wed
DINNER: 5:30pm - 10:00pm :: Thurs
DNNER: 5:30pm - 11:00pm :: Fri
DINNER: 5:00pm - 11:00pm :: Sat
DINNER: 5:00pm - 9:00pm :: Sun
LUNCH: 11:30am - 3:00pm :: Sat
BRUNCH 10:30am - 3:00pm :: Sun
LOUNGE: 4:00 pm until Close :: Mon - Sun
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Miguel Pizarosso
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Oktoberfest Block Party in the Fall
- Public Transit: The Bethesda Metro station is located only three blocks from the heart of Bethesda Row. Take the red line to Bethesda Metro Center.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A parking garage is located on Bethesda Avenue and Elm Street. $1 an hour and 'Retail Elevator' exists across the street from Redwood
There are 3 public garages within walking distance of Redwood. Garage parking is free on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Street parking is free on Sundays and holidays only. Copper meters have a one-hour time limit, blue meters have two hours and silver meters have nine or more hours.
A word from Redwood
Our mission is to bring you a seasonal menu, rooted in American tradition that showcases the Mid-Atlantic's ingredients. Our produce is organic or sustainable whenever possible; our meats are naturally-raised; our seafood wild or sustainable. We support local artisanal cheese makers, growers, ranchers, fisherman, and encourage you to do the same by buying local at our farmer's market or grocery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Redwood reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (106)neighborhood gem (51)great for lunch (41)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (39)great for brunch (31)special occasion (29)kid-friendly (18)romantic (18)notable wine list (13)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (9)late-night find (7)Show More
- Redwood is just greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Sat near tbe bar and had great dinner service from the bartender! The menu choices are great and everything was delicious. I or deserved the tuna tartar and the grilled brussel sprouts. Both were very well prepped. Highly Recommend!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElaineVIPDined on 9/19/2014Our waiter and the chef went out of their way to change the salade nicoise to accommodate my allergy to chili pepper. We were grateful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing brunchFoodieGirlDined on 9/14/2014Have enjoyed many happy hours and dinners at Redwood so tested out the brunch. Very disappointing selection, variety and quality of food. Many items listed on the menu for brunch were not on display, certain food items don't belong in a buffet like salad or fried brussel sprouts that are supposed to be crispy since they get soggy very quickly, and service was slow even though they were not nearly at capacity. One redeeming aspect was the live jazz trio - they were fantastic! Plenty of better brunch options in Bethesda like Cafe Deluxe or Mon Ami Gabi... don't waste your time here unless you order a la carte.
- Good food, slow serviceGoTerpsDined on 9/12/2014Food was very good. We sat outside because there was a large group and someone with a mic inside and it was very noisy. After 25 minutes we had to ask for a waiter to take our order and no one ever came to check on us and then we had to ask for someone to give us a check. Total time for lunch was 90 minutesSpecial Features:
- Lunch at RedwoodMamatweegaVIPDined on 9/12/2014It was a beautiful day to eat lunch outside. While the menu is on the small side the shrimp salad and the tuna salad that we ordered were attractive and tasty. There could have been a little more menu choices, especially on the desert side but all in all it was a good meal in a lovely spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great valuemaxinetteVIPDined on 9/10/2014The chopped salad was very good, but small. 2x the lettuce would have made all the difference. Needed to get a snack after lunch.
- Buffet Brunch does not disappoint4mercustVIPDined on 9/7/2014Excellent food. Omelets are amazing. Daughter wanted a waffle bar. Food was fresh and healthy and certainly plentiful.Special Features:
- It was averagemnkyboyVIPDined on 9/6/2014I enjoyed the meal but there wasn't anything special about it. I got the duck & it was eh. It was only seasoned around the edge. The seasoning didn't carry through the duck. My husband got the filet & it was good. The bernaise sauce was very good.
- Feels like vacation...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014That's what we all said to each other, sitting outside on the lovely pedestrian walk/street on a balmy Bethesda night. The waiter was attentive, he made a great wine recomendation and the steak salad was delicious. It's a treat to be able to sit outside, but it's also delightful to sit inside. It's such a beautiful place and I've always enjoyed whatever food I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missPortlanderDined on 8/31/2014Three of us liked the seafood dishes we got, mu husband hated his stake salad. Kids loved their meals too. A bit overpriced thoughSpecial Features:
- Excellent service, delicious foodNahNahDined on 8/30/2014Really nice place. Very salty. Calamari appetizer and smores dessert excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceBethesda25Dined on 8/23/2014Though the food was good, the service was terrible. We told the waiter at the beginning of the meal that we needed to be out in ~50 minutes to catch a movie, and we missed the first 20 minutes of the movie (and had to take our dessert to go in a bag).Special Features:
- outside sittingpatronVIPDined on 8/22/2014Redwood is a solid place for a good meal. I enjoy it most when we are able to sit outside.Special Features:
- It was niceArtSashaDined on 8/22/2014It was nice. The restaurant was great! Server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but...Nana7VIPDined on 8/21/2014The food was good but the service was slow (except the busboy, who made sure our water glasses were always full) and the noise level made it difficult to carry on a conversation. Perhaps if they hadn't put 2 large parties next to each other, this would have been less of a problem.Special Features:
- first timerfoodieforlifeDined on 8/17/2014The food was good, the waiter was personable and knowledgeable about the items on the menu. The only downer was they ran out of salmon and two of my guest had to choose something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchDoubleDDined on 8/17/2014We booked reservations for a Sunday, as we wanted to try Redwood for restaurant week. We were unaware that the restaurant week menu would not be available on a Sunday, we were informed upon arrival. Oh well. We still enjoyed our experience. Service was speedy and attentive, food was absolutely delicious, and the ambiance was very nice, loved the acoustic guitar trio, that added such a lovely touch! We will definitely be back for another brunch.Special Features:
- Lousy BrunchLBandDAOVIPDined on 8/17/2014We have had several enjoyable dinners at Redwood, so it was an ideal choice for brunch on the patio one lovely Sunday morning. The buffet was a huge disappointment. While the there was a large variety of choices, the food quality was simply not what I expected. The grilled vegetables were inedible, the bagels pre-toasted and cold, most of the hot food was luke warm at best, and the staff at the carving station/omelet station (same person, as far as we could tell) would clearly rather have been somewhere else. On the plus side, the setting was really nice and our server - working his first Sunday morning - was friendly and enthusiastic. We'll go back for dinner, but brunch is not their sweet spot
- UnusualUnusualVIPDined on 8/16/2014With our family, Redwood has a history of being consistent, creative and memorable. This past Saturday our experience sadly did not meet our expectations. The staff did work very hard to manage the challenges! They even articulated to us, their concerns... still it just was not their usual and was exacerbated by an uncorrected over billing, on their part... I do hope to forget this ever happened and conclude that it was just an anomaly ... only to hope that a return will be met with success!Special Features:
- Dinner at RedwoodTMBIDined on 8/16/2014Our reservations were honored on time, and we were given a nice table by an open window. Service was excellent, and our waiter was attentive ad helpful. The food was good and all four of us enjoyed our meals. Our friends were from out of town, so we enjoyed the opportunity to eat and talk unrushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Evening OutGWpfVIPDined on 8/15/2014Redwood is a solid choice, particularly for the pleasant outdoor dining. We had not been there in awhile and the food seemed to have improved, though it is just solid, nothing particularly special. We had excellent service with a terrific young server, and all n all a very nice evening out.Special Features:
- Redwood is great!dinerproDined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent. Served hot and delicious! The staff was great! Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- De-LishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Came here for restaurant week. Had a great variety for restaurant week selections. It was a beautiful night so we sat outside, and there was plenty of outside seating. The food was very amazing!! Would definitely return for a special occasion, especially since the entree prices are a little more expensive than for a causal night out kind of dinner.Special Features:
- Bad food, high misleading pricesGeneDined on 8/13/2014For restaurant week they put an up charge on almost every item and the meal turned out to be more expensive than usual. Food was not good, tasted like it was made out of plastic. Drinks mediocre, place overhyped.
- Good Restaurant Week menuJessicaDined on 8/13/2014There was plenty of selection on the Restaurant Week menu and everyone in our 10-person group found something that they enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014Great variety on the dinner menu, without overloading with options. Steak, Fish, vegetarian were all there, and all unique from what you find elsewhere. They even made the Brussel Sprouts taste good! I also recommend the cheese plate up front.Special Features:
- Normally good but hit an off nightJfk66VIPDined on 8/10/2014I've eaten at Redwood several times and it's been good. This last time it was a comedy of errors a bit. Three of us ordered the seared tuna salad and two of us had grit in the lettuce. We told the waiter and he just said he would tell the chef. My husband was hungry and just wanted to eat it. One friend ordered coffee and it was cold and two of us ordered decaf and it was incredibly bitter. The good part was the hummus plate turned out to be a great thing to share and my friend really enjoyed his chicken dish. I still think they have good food but it was an off night.Special Features:
- Great food, lackluster serviceDivaLDubDined on 7/31/2014A party of 8 of us went for lunch- we had a reservation but didn't really need one since the place was empty. The service was unimpressive. Our server was only semi-knowledgeable about the menu and was not enthusiastic about any of the menu choices. I asked him to elaborate on the wine list, knowing that Redwood focuses on sourcing fromo small vinters, but he had no further information or recommendations. We also asked him if any of the cocktails were a signature, he had no comment. Even though the service left much to be desired, the food was excellent! The wings were outstanding, the hummus was delicious, and the veggie burger with goat cheese was wonderful!Special Features:
- New chef is greatDphkmhDined on 7/27/2014Redwood has changed chef sometime in the past few months and it's better than ever
- Limited dinner menumusselsDined on 7/22/2014the place is huge and the location is a promenade with retail stores on both sides below apartment rentals ideal for outdoor dining. A bit noisy near the bar but a quiet place is found towards the opposite end. food is not the greatest. I ordered mussels in their dinner entree which were small but in great quantity, accompanied by fries that were not the best. Price is reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chcheatschcheatsDined on 7/19/2014I have been to Redwood a number of times, and it's always been fine, not great. But on this visit, the food was inedible. I ordered a burger with a side salad, and my husband ordered the branzino. Our food arrived about five minutes after we ordered it. We were both stunned, as if the food had just been sitting there ready to take out. The burger was terrible -- the meat had a strange smell, more like lamb than beef. And the side salad was dripping with dressing, and the green were gritty. Mu husband's fish was tasteless. I ate about three bites of my meal. I will not ever return to Redwood. It was truly disgusting.
- I won't return.ChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 7/18/2014Doesn't live up to the hype. As a chef who dines out, I know this industry backward and forward. All of the food lacked seasoning, and the service was so boring I almost fell asleep. The meal came out like this: our cheese/charcuterie platter came out, then immediately came our appetizers, so we had to combine what was left of our platter on our app plates, and the same story with our entrees. I literally stuffed a last bite of appetizer in my mouth so the food runner could put the entree down. In addition, we waited for 20 minutes even WITH our reservation, & they told me at the bar that they could not/would not transfer a drink to the dining room, so I would have to drink & pay for it in the bar. Disappointment.Special Features:
- Very pleasant spotsmurfetteDined on 7/18/2014I arranged lunch for a small group of friends - six in all - and requested a round table, which was provided. The service was excellent and everyone enjoyed what was ordered. I live within walking distance of Redwood; I've been there before and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varied menuLeamsiDined on 7/16/2014The food is always good at Redwood and the portions are not over the top. My friend had scallops with Kale and citrus which looked wonderful. I had salmon which was superb on polenta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch: great if you're very hungryBetsyVIPDined on 7/13/2014We went to Redwood for brunch, for the first time in several years. I'm a bit ambivalent in reviewing. The a la carte brunch menu was limited, particularly for someone trying to stick to whole grains. The buffet was a much better choice in that regard, with quite a variety of options, all very good. But it is expensive, particularly if you really don't want a large meal. So while we enjoyed the food and the outdoor setting, we probably wouldn't go back there for brunch.Special Features:
- good enoughdbeersfineartDined on 7/12/2014This a a decent fall back position when a nicer restaurant with better food is full. I would never make it my first choice. The menu is limited, which is ok, provided that at least a few items among that which is being served are truly outstanding. Not going to happen until the find an inspired chef. They have good beverages/mixed drinks.Special Features:
- Good but PriceylocaldinerDined on 7/11/2014The calamari appetizer was delicious and fresh as was the complementary bread and butter. The wait staff was attentive and charming. But even with two members of the foursome ordering burgers and only getting one appetizer and no dessert, the bill was almost 200 dollars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DNYFLNJDined on 7/9/2014We went to Redwood to celebrate our anniversary and had a wonderful time. The food was excellent, and the service was attentive but not obtrusive. We at the 3 course prix fixe menu (One appetizer, one entree, and one dessert) and it was fine option, since it allows choice across the whole menu. This was our first trip to the restaurant and will definitely go back. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barely-there menuOTreviewsVIPDined on 7/9/2014It's great that Redwood offers organic fare on the menu, but I sure wish there was more of it. The dinner menu is really sparse, and I ended up with a burger by default simply because there really wasn't much else to choose from. Given that there was no one else in the restaurant at the time, I would have thought they could have at least cooked it correctly, but alas. Also, the fries were more or less tasteless. I appreciate the convenience and ambience of Redwood but the food? Meh.
- DIssapiointedSusanVIPDined on 7/7/2014Service was horrible. Slow, brought me the wrong entree and then I Had to wait almost 30 mins. I thought it was overpriced for what it is. The place was almost empty so I can't excuse the service based on that. Our waiter seemed to disappear.Special Features: