Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
12 E Ogden Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89101-2943Neighborhood:
California Hotel & Casino
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecal.com/dine/redwood-bar-and-grill
- Phone: (702) 385-1222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday - Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ben Greiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
A word from Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
Intimate surroundings and extraordinary cuisine make the Redwood Bar & Grill the perfect place to dine. Join us for a delicious dinner featuring tender steaks, succulent lobster, luscious crab legs, mouth-watering scampi and the Chef’s fresh catch of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (33)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (15)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Internet SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2014Disappointed with the internet special. Porterhouse steak was tough and thin. However, service was great.Special Features:
- excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014This place was fantastic. The prices were reasonable but we still enjoyed a nice elegant dinner. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redwood Bar and GrillYeoEleven11Dined on 11/9/2014The name may deceive you, but this is NOT your average bar & grill at the corner! To date, this is The California Hotel's gourmet restaurant. The filet mignon and lobster tails were cooked to perfection, as usual. The Oysters Rockefeller and wine were excellent. But what made our dining experience even better, was our server, Darren! He settled our party in nicely, kept the meal flowing from drinks, appetizers through dinner. Darren was very pleasant, humorous, yet very professional! On our next meal at the Redwood, we will definitely return to his station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReasonableLiveDined on 11/9/2014Because restaurant is located within the California casino, most of the patrons seem to be gamblers from the California or Main Street hotels, so it is not quite fine dining altho the room is dark. The bass with miso cream sauce was good. The crab was a bit dry. The lamb chops were good, but not exceptional. The service was good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014this has always been our favorite resturants in downtown Las Vegas. It never disappoints. I chose it initially because of the ambiance, but the food equals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best prime ribMoodyStewDined on 11/7/2014I have lived in Las Vegas foir 40 years, and for my money, The Redwood Grill still has the best prime rib anywhere, its really delicious, such high quality. Also, they are still the only place I know that has Lobster Thermidor on their everyday menu, a real treat. When after all these years, I still picked Redwood to go for my birthday dinner, you know it's good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodannuallasvegasvisitorsDined on 11/2/2014We went here due to other reviews for their prime rib dinner which is outstanding. The hostess was initially not as friendly or positive as we expected, but she did warm up after. The service after that was great. The food was very good, in particular the prime rib.Special Features:
- Functional FeastFineFoodieDined on 10/25/2014My party was 30 minutes late and was told we had lost our reservation through Open Table after 15 minutes grace period. Was told to wait, and within 10 minutes was seated. Thankful for that, and the quick and friendly service, along with comfortable gourmet cuisine. Got us back out into the casino full and fed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite places to eat.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We don't want to even try anything different because the Redwood meets our expectations..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Redwood GrillPuzzlegirlDined on 10/17/2014We enjoy dining at the Redwood. Great steaks, along with the rest of the meal. Jesus is always the waiter we request. He always gets it right for us!Special Features:
- oct.13 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014This place is the best all around!!!The food is amazing and service is excellent! Perfect for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner after vow renewalWedoagainDined on 10/11/2014Attractive dining room with very good food. New York strip done perfectly. Dining experience was pleasant, however, food took a bit longer to come out than expected. We were seated at a round table so our party of six could visit with each other easily. Good location. Easy to see the attractions of Fremont Street after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014My husband, myself and two friends ate at the Redwood and loved every minute of it!! We had prime rib, filet and lamb chops ... all cooked perfect to what we ordered. Salad and side included which was great. Service was excellant. Went to the bar before dinner for two-for-one martinis which was a great way to start off a wonderful dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemJolabeDined on 10/7/2014This was a very good restaurant hidden in this casino. The service, food and ambiance were all A plus, I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Longtime favoriteMoodyStewDined on 9/27/2014Went to Redwood Saturday night to celebrate finally being up and around after my knee surgery this summer. I have been going to Redwood for over 30 years, but I must say, the Prime Rib they served me this time could've been on a magazine cover. I got the large Redwood cut (24 oz), and not only was it gorgeous, but I defy anyone to find a tastier Prime Rib anywhere, at any price. Spectacular! Also, still a great value, their price still includes a complete meal. If you love Prime Rib, great steaks (my wife still says they have her favorite Filet anywhere), real Alaskan crab legs, or their famous Lobster Thermidore (still don't know any other place that has this on their everyday menu), you will love Redwood Grill. We still do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better options nearbySticksaveVIPDined on 9/20/2014We saw other reviews raving about the steaks so we thought that we'd give it a try. Value was good, but the steaks had absolutely no seasoning. Too many good options in Vegas to come back here.
- Best steaks in Freemont StreetDEB160VDined on 9/19/20142nd visit in 5yrs & stood the test of time. Fantastic food especially house speciality steaks. Ambiance good & would recommend booking if visiting at weekends. The best steak & value for money in downtown Vegas Freemont Street. You've got to visit the redwood! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedJstenzDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I eat here every time we come to Vegas. We have never been disappointed in any meal we have had. Our servers have always been wonderful. Do not miss out!Special Features:
- Great foodCalTexansDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I dine here 5-6 times a year. The food is very good. Escargot and crab cakes are a nice way to start your meal. The pan seared Ahi, tenderloin and crab legs are our favorites. The Crème Brule' adds a nice finishing touch! Jesus has been our waiter multiple times and his waiting skills are excellent and make the meal special.Special Features:
- Good valueMaryDined on 9/8/2014The porterhouse steak special is a find like no other in the entire Vegas area. We have gone here for years and every time the food is outstanding and service superb. I also tried the fish special wish was delicious as well. If you go to Vegas and DON'T go to the redwood Bar and Grill you are missing out on a great food experience!Special Features:
- Favorite for dining!bang4thebuckDined on 9/7/2014Best and favorite fine dining at affordable prices. Ideal place to have dinner with friends visiting Vegas.Special Features:
- Absolutely great place.buckpurdyDined on 9/2/2014The food waz great. The ambience was great. Reasnably priced. It reminds me of old Vegas way before the lawyers took over. The one problem was I couldnt eat the whole prime rib and had no place to store it. So I wasted a lot. The minestone was also delicious. i will always have this place on my list whenever I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VickiTNDined on 8/25/2014Enjoy going to Redwood Bar & Grill everytime in Vegas! Good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so great waiterRickDined on 8/24/2014Our evening would have been superb were it not for the poor service from our waiter. Ordered cocktails, then an unusually long wait before meal order was taken. By that time the dining room filled up resulting in another long wait for meal to be served. Then waited at least 1/2 hour for check. Meanwhile, waiter did a good job of avoiding us. Just wish we would have had a better waiter. We were seated promptly, the other service people were wonderful, and the food was fabulous. Will definitely visit again on next trip to Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An "Old" Vegas Experienceron4342Dined on 8/17/2014When I made the reservation at the Redwood Room I playfully asked for an "ocean view." After the hostess seated us we were given menus. We were surprised that someone had placed a photo of the ocean in each menu. This would not happen on the strip. This was the Vegas of old. My wife and I were very inpressed by this small gesture. Unfortunely the hostess had left before we could thank her. I am hoping a manager is made aware of what this employee did and convey our thanks to them. You want to keep employees like this. We had not dined in the Redroom Room is some time but this act will bring us back soon. By the way, the food and service were EXCELLENT! It was the old Vegas where Quality and Value ruled! See you soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for an adult only dinnerJtakanoDined on 8/15/2014The crap and steak are amazing. The service staff was pleasant and helpful. The ambience is perfect. We love dining here and sharing a desert for the table is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All nice except for hostessDesertgirl81Dined on 8/9/2014Hostess said there were no openings for nearly 2 hrs. We were walk ins. We left and I used open table app to schedule reservation and got one in less than 30 min for my group of 3. She had a surprised look when we reentered and showed her the reservation. Simple she said "oh" and seated us. That was my only complaint but had I not used my app we were going to leave. If I were a manager and learned my hostess turned away guests because of a power play I'd be super angry. First off its Las Vegas and you don't treat locals that way. Second it empty with no line what so ever just because we happen to not originally have a res. There are thousands of choices in Las Vegas and she should have not turned us away. Very weird!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected treatKingwoodDined on 7/29/2014After spending big bucks for every meal at the Bellagio we decided to spend some time downtown. I searched on Yelp for recommendations for a moderately priced steakhouse and the Redwood came up as a great choice. We visited on a week night so our reservation may not have been necessary. Nothing on the menu over $40 and most less than $30. Great selection of dishes and all come with soup/Salad and sides. One guest fit the French Onion Soup which looked amazing. My prime rib was perfect as was my wife's filet. Couldn't have been happier with this find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOKCtravelerDined on 7/27/2014Had not been in years ,but recently tried the Redwood again on a trip to Las Vegas. We had a reservation for 8pm and were seated immediately. The waiter was very attentive and knowledgable. I ordered the French onion soup as an appetizer and it was top notch. The salad, potato, and lobster tail were all outstanding. Will definitely go back on our next trip to town. EnjoySpecial Features:
- Great Steak Place on Freemont Std0lph1n70Dined on 7/25/2014We had been wanting a steak while in Vegas and we found a GREAT place for one. The atmosphere was wonderful. We had the prime rub - best I had in a long time -- I would go back next time we go to Vegas -- worth the trip to downtown!Special Features:
- The following 87 reviews are from the Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino reviews archive.
- Great food, great servicemisterCDined on 7/11/2014Pleasant atmosphere, great food. From the hostess to the servers, service was terrific. Great for small groups and holding conversations. I would return!Special Features:
- Love this placeNSnLV3Dined on 6/29/2014This is a great vintage Vegas steakhouse, reasonable prices and excellent service. Feels like early Vegas during the mob era. It is a place my family always eat at as locals. Don't forget to try the $24 Porterhouse special that includes everything as well as a dessert.Special Features:
- Too noisy For UsJulie777Dined on 6/21/2014It was our 45th wedding anniversary and we thought this would be a nice quiet restaurant. The tables are close together in one big room. We were seated in a booth right next to a large table and the noise from loud talking was quite bad. Everything else about the restaurant was great. Good tasty food and excellent service. The noise level was not conducive to a pleasant night out.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereCraigDDined on 6/10/2014We love to eat at the Redwood Room in the California Hotel. We visit Las Vegas regularly as seasonal residents. We enjoy the food and the professional staff at the restaurant. We highly recommend it.Special Features:
- food and servicedoriDined on 5/30/2014We used to go to the Redwood Bar and Grill frequently about thirty years ago. We went there recently before a show at the Smith Center. I don't know why it took us so long to go back there, but I am so glad we did. The food was excellent, and the prices were very reasonable considering it included the salad and your choice of another side. I ordered the onion soup and the prime rib, and I was extremely pleased with both of them. The service was exceptional. Everyone was very friendly and very professional and proficient. Our waitress was Jenelle, and she was great.
- great foodClevebobDined on 5/27/2014Every time in Las Vegas , we dine at the Redwood. Have never been disappointed. Bill, our server,who we have had before, was very good as usual. Lamb chops were as succulent as usual , the Porterhouse special is a great deal.Special Features:
- You will be rushed throughout meal.Delta30Dined on 5/19/2014From the start of our evening at Redwood we felt as if we were in a race to the finish. We ordered cocktails and were having conversation while reviewing the menu. Our waiter asked us if we were ready to order every two minutes it seemed. We did not want food to arrive while we were still enjoying our cocktails. Our guest was upset that plates were removed from our table while he was still eating. We ordered coffee and drinks after dinner. As we were finishing the floor manager told us to move to the bar. This experience was more of the same measures the California is taking to drive away locals, such as charging for parking and closing bars. As long time customers of the Cal, we are unhappy with recent changes made by management.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Except for the 'loud' group that was sitting next to us, everything was GREAT !!! Food, service, atmosphere was great. We've made it a point to have dinner at the Redwood Bar and Grill on every trip we've taken to the Cal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and affordable night outDannilcDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I are in the midst of a "tour" of all the Fremont Street steakhouses. The Redwood Bar and Grill was the fifth of those restaurants that we have tried. We were pleasantly surprised at the prices on the menu - this is by far the most affordable of the Fremont Street steakhouses that we have visited. The food was very good, as was the service. The only aspect of our dining experience that was a bit off-putting was that the $28 dollar bottle of wine that we ordered came with a screw cap. We would definitely go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014I have had a lot better steaks for a lot less money and the garlic potatoes werr terribleSpecial Features: