Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
12 E Ogden Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89101-2943Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecal.com/dine/redwood-bar-and-grill
- Phone: 7023851222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday - Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ben Greiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
A word from Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
Intimate surroundings and extraordinary cuisine make the Redwood Bar & Grill the perfect place to dine. Join us for a delicious dinner featuring tender steaks, succulent lobster, luscious crab legs, mouth-watering scampi and the Chef’s fresh catch of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (29)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (7)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014Enjoy going to Redwood Bar & Grill everytime in Vegas! Good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An "Old" Vegas Experienceron4342Dined on 8/17/2014When I made the reservation at the Redwood Room I playfully asked for an "ocean view." After the hostess seated us we were given menus. We were surprised that someone had placed a photo of the ocean in each menu. This would not happen on the strip. This was the Vegas of old. My wife and I were very inpressed by this small gesture. Unfortunely the hostess had left before we could thank her. I am hoping a manager is made aware of what this employee did and convey our thanks to them. You want to keep employees like this. We had not dined in the Redroom Room is some time but this act will bring us back soon. By the way, the food and service were EXCELLENT! It was the old Vegas where Quality and Value ruled! See you soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for an adult only dinnerJtakanoDined on 8/15/2014The crap and steak are amazing. The service staff was pleasant and helpful. The ambience is perfect. We love dining here and sharing a desert for the table is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All nice except for hostessDesertgirl81Dined on 8/9/2014Hostess said there were no openings for nearly 2 hrs. We were walk ins. We left and I used open table app to schedule reservation and got one in less than 30 min for my group of 3. She had a surprised look when we reentered and showed her the reservation. Simple she said "oh" and seated us. That was my only complaint but had I not used my app we were going to leave. If I were a manager and learned my hostess turned away guests because of a power play I'd be super angry. First off its Las Vegas and you don't treat locals that way. Second it empty with no line what so ever just because we happen to not originally have a res. There are thousands of choices in Las Vegas and she should have not turned us away. Very weird!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected treatKingwoodDined on 7/29/2014After spending big bucks for every meal at the Bellagio we decided to spend some time downtown. I searched on Yelp for recommendations for a moderately priced steakhouse and the Redwood came up as a great choice. We visited on a week night so our reservation may not have been necessary. Nothing on the menu over $40 and most less than $30. Great selection of dishes and all come with soup/Salad and sides. One guest fit the French Onion Soup which looked amazing. My prime rib was perfect as was my wife's filet. Couldn't have been happier with this find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOKCtravelerDined on 7/27/2014Had not been in years ,but recently tried the Redwood again on a trip to Las Vegas. We had a reservation for 8pm and were seated immediately. The waiter was very attentive and knowledgable. I ordered the French onion soup as an appetizer and it was top notch. The salad, potato, and lobster tail were all outstanding. Will definitely go back on our next trip to town. EnjoySpecial Features:
- Great Steak Place on Freemont Std0lph1n70Dined on 7/25/2014We had been wanting a steak while in Vegas and we found a GREAT place for one. The atmosphere was wonderful. We had the prime rub - best I had in a long time -- I would go back next time we go to Vegas -- worth the trip to downtown!Special Features:
- Great food, great servicemisterCDined on 7/11/2014Pleasant atmosphere, great food. From the hostess to the servers, service was terrific. Great for small groups and holding conversations. I would return!Special Features:
- Love this placeNSnLV3Dined on 6/29/2014This is a great vintage Vegas steakhouse, reasonable prices and excellent service. Feels like early Vegas during the mob era. It is a place my family always eat at as locals. Don't forget to try the $24 Porterhouse special that includes everything as well as a dessert.Special Features:
- Too noisy For UsJulie777Dined on 6/21/2014It was our 45th wedding anniversary and we thought this would be a nice quiet restaurant. The tables are close together in one big room. We were seated in a booth right next to a large table and the noise from loud talking was quite bad. Everything else about the restaurant was great. Good tasty food and excellent service. The noise level was not conducive to a pleasant night out.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereCraigDDined on 6/10/2014We love to eat at the Redwood Room in the California Hotel. We visit Las Vegas regularly as seasonal residents. We enjoy the food and the professional staff at the restaurant. We highly recommend it.Special Features:
- food and servicedoriDined on 5/30/2014We used to go to the Redwood Bar and Grill frequently about thirty years ago. We went there recently before a show at the Smith Center. I don't know why it took us so long to go back there, but I am so glad we did. The food was excellent, and the prices were very reasonable considering it included the salad and your choice of another side. I ordered the onion soup and the prime rib, and I was extremely pleased with both of them. The service was exceptional. Everyone was very friendly and very professional and proficient. Our waitress was Jenelle, and she was great.
- great foodClevebobDined on 5/27/2014Every time in Las Vegas , we dine at the Redwood. Have never been disappointed. Bill, our server,who we have had before, was very good as usual. Lamb chops were as succulent as usual , the Porterhouse special is a great deal.Special Features:
- You will be rushed throughout meal.Delta30Dined on 5/19/2014From the start of our evening at Redwood we felt as if we were in a race to the finish. We ordered cocktails and were having conversation while reviewing the menu. Our waiter asked us if we were ready to order every two minutes it seemed. We did not want food to arrive while we were still enjoying our cocktails. Our guest was upset that plates were removed from our table while he was still eating. We ordered coffee and drinks after dinner. As we were finishing the floor manager told us to move to the bar. This experience was more of the same measures the California is taking to drive away locals, such as charging for parking and closing bars. As long time customers of the Cal, we are unhappy with recent changes made by management.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Except for the 'loud' group that was sitting next to us, everything was GREAT !!! Food, service, atmosphere was great. We've made it a point to have dinner at the Redwood Bar and Grill on every trip we've taken to the Cal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and affordable night outDannilcDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I are in the midst of a "tour" of all the Fremont Street steakhouses. The Redwood Bar and Grill was the fifth of those restaurants that we have tried. We were pleasantly surprised at the prices on the menu - this is by far the most affordable of the Fremont Street steakhouses that we have visited. The food was very good, as was the service. The only aspect of our dining experience that was a bit off-putting was that the $28 dollar bottle of wine that we ordered came with a screw cap. We would definitely go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014I have had a lot better steaks for a lot less money and the garlic potatoes werr terribleSpecial Features:
- Z2870VIPDined on 5/3/2014We were met by a less than enthusiastic hostess who gave us the impression we were bothering her. However, after this encounter the experience improved. I had ordered the Porterhouse special which was good. The steak was prepared to my liking, but was not a real good cut of meat, but none the less was good. The others in the party had the Macadamia Crusted Chicken. They stated that it was very good and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Ginella was our waitress and was very professional.
- The following 76 reviews are from the Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino reviews archive.
- Best Kept SecretHungry4excellentfoodDined on 4/28/2014The Redwood Bar & Grill has the very best Macadamia nut chicken. I usually order the same thing each time I come for dinner because I don't want to pass it up. Incredibly tasty and one of the least expensive items on the menu. This time I ordered the soup of the day instead of salad. It was cauliflower with bacon and cheese. Wonderful! Three days later I can still taste it's unique flavor. The only drawback is the size of the restaurant. I wish the rooms were larger. The staff are cheerful and friendly. Love the Hawaiian Aloha Spirit!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodMikeVIPDined on 4/22/2014The lobster thermidor has been fantastic since we began coming here in 1976. Nice to see the consistency and commitment to excellent foos and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarylovingtheredwoodDined on 4/21/2014We have always gone to Redwood Bar & Grill for our Anniversary or other occasions when we lived closer..Now we live in Henderson and still love to go for our Anniversary..The food, service and ambiance is fantastic, still love it after all these years, definitely worth the trip...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was excellentjjacks70Dined on 4/18/2014We went to Redwood after my wedding. It was myself, my husband and my sister. The staff was attentive. The bread was so yummy I think we got 4 loaves! I had the filet and shrimp scampi. The filet was perfect, medium rare and super tender. MY husband and sister had the porterhouse special. The steaks were cooked perfectly and were huge! Neither could finish them. The prices were fantastic and was a perfect dinner for my Vegas wedding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Atmosphere was very nice and elegant. Service was great. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We make sure to visit theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2014We make sure to visit the Redwood Grill on every trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redwood Room-- old Las VegasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014We have lived in Las Vegas for 11 years and have been coming here much longer than that! We have eaten at the Redwood Room for over 20 years. The Redwood offers great Steaks and seafood at reasonable prices. The place is small with a definite "Old Vegas" feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrinksGeorgeDined on 4/11/2014Probably the only place in Vegas with NO draft beer. Dining tables are very small also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "OH WHAT A NIGHT!"RosesDined on 3/23/2014We celebrated Courtney's 21st birthday. there were 7 of us in our party. the food was excellent. we ordered king crab legs and steak. the crab was juicy and the steak was tender. they also gave a complimentary birthday dessert to Courts. great service and very nice setting. whenever we visit the Cal, we always have dinner at the Redwood Grill. As you can see, we really like it there. It was such a special birthday celebration, "Oh What a Night!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden GemRobertDined on 3/17/2014very attractive,nice lighting,nice decor. The food is excellent. I had the crab legs and my wife had the filet-both great. Pricing is lower than comparable restaurants and a bargain verse the strip. I have been here many times for many years,it has never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodRoyalhubieDined on 3/16/2014Great food , I had large filet mignon and wife had macadamia nut chicken with shrimp. Both were extremely GOOOOD !!! Every time we go there is perfect. Make reservations
- Redwood Bar & GrillGeorgeDined on 3/14/2014Excellent food, but the dining room staff were rushing us. I don't know why, the place was not full, but as we were the only white people in there, I think they wanted us out as quickly as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical downtown average foodAverageDinerDined on 3/10/2014We ordered the crab and airline chicken dinner, crab was cold and a bit old? chicken was tough.... food came pretty quickly. I spoke to the manager about the food, he comped the crab (I told him I did not want anything free) he did not care what I told him about quality control in the kitchen. When in downtown I've learned only thing good here is the pizza..ie Pizza rock, Pop up pizza and the mom and pop places at the end of Fremont....the actually care about their productSpecial Features:
- Most enjoyable evening I haveJenJenVIPDined on 3/8/2014Most enjoyable evening I have had in a few months. Everything was perfect-food, service, priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014AS USUAL, EVERYTHING WAS WONDERFUL. THE WAITER (OLDER GENTLEMAN) WAS RIGHT ON POINT FOR EVERYTHING. THE ONLY THING THAT NEEDS IMPROVED IS THE HOTESS ON SATURDAY NIGHT. EVERY TIME WE GO, SHE SEEMS UNHAPPY. THANK YOUI would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but it was all colddchuchDined on 2/15/2014I ordered scampi and my husband had the ahi. The food was good, but our vegetables were cold, my sauce was cold and his ahi was cold. None of our food was hot.
- CaliforniaEatnsthebestDined on 2/15/2014We brought a couple from out of town there, your lobster and prime rib was excellent as always .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good ServiceReidDined on 2/15/2014Always have a nice meal at Redwood. I'm no "foodie", but the beef always leaves me happy and satisfied. Prime Rib and Bone-in Rib Eye are favorites. King Crab Legs are great too. Portions are outstanding. I've NEVER left still hungry. I always WANT to skip the bread they serve at the beginning, but it's too good to resist. I've been asking for the server, Jesus, for years. Great service with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a little hidden gem on FremontLoriJDined on 2/14/2014We have eaten here a few times and as locals we love downtown Las Vegas. That said we love a great steak with all the sides but hate to pay outrages prices. This little gem inside the Califonia Hotel on Main Street has great food, great wine, great services without a huge bill at the end. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a wonderful high end steak dinner without the high end prices!Special Features:
- Nice PlaceJps6Dined on 1/26/2014A bit if a fishy odor in the lobby but that disappeared once we entered the dining room. The food was good and our waiter was a good guy. We were in a group and this place was perfect for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerHungryVIPDined on 1/26/2014Always good we have been here many times. Try the enormous prime rib or the filet mignon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014Have been to Redwood several times and the food is consistently good. Wait staff attentive and friendly. That T-bone steak special is very good.Special Features: