Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
12 E Ogden Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89101-2943Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecal.com/dine/redwood-bar-and-grill
- Phone: 7023851222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday - Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ben Greiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
A word from Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino
Intimate surroundings and extraordinary cuisine make the Redwood Bar & Grill the perfect place to dine. Join us for a delicious dinner featuring tender steaks, succulent lobster, luscious crab legs, mouth-watering scampi and the Chef’s fresh catch of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- oct.13 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014This place is the best all around!!!The food is amazing and service is excellent! Perfect for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner after vow renewalWedoagainDined on 10/11/2014Attractive dining room with very good food. New York strip done perfectly. Dining experience was pleasant, however, food took a bit longer to come out than expected. We were seated at a round table so our party of six could visit with each other easily. Good location. Easy to see the attractions of Fremont Street after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014My husband, myself and two friends ate at the Redwood and loved every minute of it!! We had prime rib, filet and lamb chops ... all cooked perfect to what we ordered. Salad and side included which was great. Service was excellant. Went to the bar before dinner for two-for-one martinis which was a great way to start off a wonderful dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemJolabeDined on 10/7/2014This was a very good restaurant hidden in this casino. The service, food and ambiance were all A plus, I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Longtime favoriteMoodyStewDined on 9/27/2014Went to Redwood Saturday night to celebrate finally being up and around after my knee surgery this summer. I have been going to Redwood for over 30 years, but I must say, the Prime Rib they served me this time could've been on a magazine cover. I got the large Redwood cut (24 oz), and not only was it gorgeous, but I defy anyone to find a tastier Prime Rib anywhere, at any price. Spectacular! Also, still a great value, their price still includes a complete meal. If you love Prime Rib, great steaks (my wife still says they have her favorite Filet anywhere), real Alaskan crab legs, or their famous Lobster Thermidore (still don't know any other place that has this on their everyday menu), you will love Redwood Grill. We still do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better options nearbySticksaveVIPDined on 9/20/2014We saw other reviews raving about the steaks so we thought that we'd give it a try. Value was good, but the steaks had absolutely no seasoning. Too many good options in Vegas to come back here.
- Best steaks in Freemont StreetDEB160VDined on 9/19/20142nd visit in 5yrs & stood the test of time. Fantastic food especially house speciality steaks. Ambiance good & would recommend booking if visiting at weekends. The best steak & value for money in downtown Vegas Freemont Street. You've got to visit the redwood! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedJstenzDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I eat here every time we come to Vegas. We have never been disappointed in any meal we have had. Our servers have always been wonderful. Do not miss out!Special Features:
- Great foodCalTexansDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I dine here 5-6 times a year. The food is very good. Escargot and crab cakes are a nice way to start your meal. The pan seared Ahi, tenderloin and crab legs are our favorites. The Crème Brule' adds a nice finishing touch! Jesus has been our waiter multiple times and his waiting skills are excellent and make the meal special.Special Features:
- Good valueMaryDined on 9/8/2014The porterhouse steak special is a find like no other in the entire Vegas area. We have gone here for years and every time the food is outstanding and service superb. I also tried the fish special wish was delicious as well. If you go to Vegas and DON'T go to the redwood Bar and Grill you are missing out on a great food experience!Special Features:
- Favorite for dining!bang4thebuckDined on 9/7/2014Best and favorite fine dining at affordable prices. Ideal place to have dinner with friends visiting Vegas.Special Features:
- Absolutely great place.buckpurdyDined on 9/2/2014The food waz great. The ambience was great. Reasnably priced. It reminds me of old Vegas way before the lawyers took over. The one problem was I couldnt eat the whole prime rib and had no place to store it. So I wasted a lot. The minestone was also delicious. i will always have this place on my list whenever I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VickiTNDined on 8/25/2014Enjoy going to Redwood Bar & Grill everytime in Vegas! Good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so great waiterRickDined on 8/24/2014Our evening would have been superb were it not for the poor service from our waiter. Ordered cocktails, then an unusually long wait before meal order was taken. By that time the dining room filled up resulting in another long wait for meal to be served. Then waited at least 1/2 hour for check. Meanwhile, waiter did a good job of avoiding us. Just wish we would have had a better waiter. We were seated promptly, the other service people were wonderful, and the food was fabulous. Will definitely visit again on next trip to Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An "Old" Vegas Experienceron4342Dined on 8/17/2014When I made the reservation at the Redwood Room I playfully asked for an "ocean view." After the hostess seated us we were given menus. We were surprised that someone had placed a photo of the ocean in each menu. This would not happen on the strip. This was the Vegas of old. My wife and I were very inpressed by this small gesture. Unfortunely the hostess had left before we could thank her. I am hoping a manager is made aware of what this employee did and convey our thanks to them. You want to keep employees like this. We had not dined in the Redroom Room is some time but this act will bring us back soon. By the way, the food and service were EXCELLENT! It was the old Vegas where Quality and Value ruled! See you soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for an adult only dinnerJtakanoDined on 8/15/2014The crap and steak are amazing. The service staff was pleasant and helpful. The ambience is perfect. We love dining here and sharing a desert for the table is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All nice except for hostessDesertgirl81Dined on 8/9/2014Hostess said there were no openings for nearly 2 hrs. We were walk ins. We left and I used open table app to schedule reservation and got one in less than 30 min for my group of 3. She had a surprised look when we reentered and showed her the reservation. Simple she said "oh" and seated us. That was my only complaint but had I not used my app we were going to leave. If I were a manager and learned my hostess turned away guests because of a power play I'd be super angry. First off its Las Vegas and you don't treat locals that way. Second it empty with no line what so ever just because we happen to not originally have a res. There are thousands of choices in Las Vegas and she should have not turned us away. Very weird!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected treatKingwoodDined on 7/29/2014After spending big bucks for every meal at the Bellagio we decided to spend some time downtown. I searched on Yelp for recommendations for a moderately priced steakhouse and the Redwood came up as a great choice. We visited on a week night so our reservation may not have been necessary. Nothing on the menu over $40 and most less than $30. Great selection of dishes and all come with soup/Salad and sides. One guest fit the French Onion Soup which looked amazing. My prime rib was perfect as was my wife's filet. Couldn't have been happier with this find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOKCtravelerDined on 7/27/2014Had not been in years ,but recently tried the Redwood again on a trip to Las Vegas. We had a reservation for 8pm and were seated immediately. The waiter was very attentive and knowledgable. I ordered the French onion soup as an appetizer and it was top notch. The salad, potato, and lobster tail were all outstanding. Will definitely go back on our next trip to town. EnjoySpecial Features:
- Great Steak Place on Freemont Std0lph1n70Dined on 7/25/2014We had been wanting a steak while in Vegas and we found a GREAT place for one. The atmosphere was wonderful. We had the prime rub - best I had in a long time -- I would go back next time we go to Vegas -- worth the trip to downtown!Special Features:
- Great food, great servicemisterCDined on 7/11/2014Pleasant atmosphere, great food. From the hostess to the servers, service was terrific. Great for small groups and holding conversations. I would return!Special Features:
- Love this placeNSnLV3Dined on 6/29/2014This is a great vintage Vegas steakhouse, reasonable prices and excellent service. Feels like early Vegas during the mob era. It is a place my family always eat at as locals. Don't forget to try the $24 Porterhouse special that includes everything as well as a dessert.Special Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the Redwood Bar & Grill - The California Hotel Casino reviews archive.
- Too noisy For UsJulie777Dined on 6/21/2014It was our 45th wedding anniversary and we thought this would be a nice quiet restaurant. The tables are close together in one big room. We were seated in a booth right next to a large table and the noise from loud talking was quite bad. Everything else about the restaurant was great. Good tasty food and excellent service. The noise level was not conducive to a pleasant night out.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereCraigDDined on 6/10/2014We love to eat at the Redwood Room in the California Hotel. We visit Las Vegas regularly as seasonal residents. We enjoy the food and the professional staff at the restaurant. We highly recommend it.Special Features:
- food and servicedoriDined on 5/30/2014We used to go to the Redwood Bar and Grill frequently about thirty years ago. We went there recently before a show at the Smith Center. I don't know why it took us so long to go back there, but I am so glad we did. The food was excellent, and the prices were very reasonable considering it included the salad and your choice of another side. I ordered the onion soup and the prime rib, and I was extremely pleased with both of them. The service was exceptional. Everyone was very friendly and very professional and proficient. Our waitress was Jenelle, and she was great.
- great foodClevebobDined on 5/27/2014Every time in Las Vegas , we dine at the Redwood. Have never been disappointed. Bill, our server,who we have had before, was very good as usual. Lamb chops were as succulent as usual , the Porterhouse special is a great deal.Special Features:
- You will be rushed throughout meal.Delta30Dined on 5/19/2014From the start of our evening at Redwood we felt as if we were in a race to the finish. We ordered cocktails and were having conversation while reviewing the menu. Our waiter asked us if we were ready to order every two minutes it seemed. We did not want food to arrive while we were still enjoying our cocktails. Our guest was upset that plates were removed from our table while he was still eating. We ordered coffee and drinks after dinner. As we were finishing the floor manager told us to move to the bar. This experience was more of the same measures the California is taking to drive away locals, such as charging for parking and closing bars. As long time customers of the Cal, we are unhappy with recent changes made by management.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Except for the 'loud' group that was sitting next to us, everything was GREAT !!! Food, service, atmosphere was great. We've made it a point to have dinner at the Redwood Bar and Grill on every trip we've taken to the Cal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and affordable night outDannilcDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I are in the midst of a "tour" of all the Fremont Street steakhouses. The Redwood Bar and Grill was the fifth of those restaurants that we have tried. We were pleasantly surprised at the prices on the menu - this is by far the most affordable of the Fremont Street steakhouses that we have visited. The food was very good, as was the service. The only aspect of our dining experience that was a bit off-putting was that the $28 dollar bottle of wine that we ordered came with a screw cap. We would definitely go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014I have had a lot better steaks for a lot less money and the garlic potatoes werr terribleSpecial Features:
- Z2870VIPDined on 5/3/2014We were met by a less than enthusiastic hostess who gave us the impression we were bothering her. However, after this encounter the experience improved. I had ordered the Porterhouse special which was good. The steak was prepared to my liking, but was not a real good cut of meat, but none the less was good. The others in the party had the Macadamia Crusted Chicken. They stated that it was very good and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Ginella was our waitress and was very professional.
- Best Kept SecretHungry4excellentfoodDined on 4/28/2014The Redwood Bar & Grill has the very best Macadamia nut chicken. I usually order the same thing each time I come for dinner because I don't want to pass it up. Incredibly tasty and one of the least expensive items on the menu. This time I ordered the soup of the day instead of salad. It was cauliflower with bacon and cheese. Wonderful! Three days later I can still taste it's unique flavor. The only drawback is the size of the restaurant. I wish the rooms were larger. The staff are cheerful and friendly. Love the Hawaiian Aloha Spirit!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodMikeVIPDined on 4/22/2014The lobster thermidor has been fantastic since we began coming here in 1976. Nice to see the consistency and commitment to excellent foos and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarylovingtheredwoodDined on 4/21/2014We have always gone to Redwood Bar & Grill for our Anniversary or other occasions when we lived closer..Now we live in Henderson and still love to go for our Anniversary..The food, service and ambiance is fantastic, still love it after all these years, definitely worth the trip...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was excellentjjacks70Dined on 4/18/2014We went to Redwood after my wedding. It was myself, my husband and my sister. The staff was attentive. The bread was so yummy I think we got 4 loaves! I had the filet and shrimp scampi. The filet was perfect, medium rare and super tender. MY husband and sister had the porterhouse special. The steaks were cooked perfectly and were huge! Neither could finish them. The prices were fantastic and was a perfect dinner for my Vegas wedding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Atmosphere was very nice and elegant. Service was great. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We make sure to visit theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2014We make sure to visit the Redwood Grill on every trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redwood Room-- old Las VegashitimmDined on 4/11/2014We have lived in Las Vegas for 11 years and have been coming here much longer than that! We have eaten at the Redwood Room for over 20 years. The Redwood offers great Steaks and seafood at reasonable prices. The place is small with a definite "Old Vegas" feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrinksGeorgeDined on 4/11/2014Probably the only place in Vegas with NO draft beer. Dining tables are very small also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "OH WHAT A NIGHT!"RosesDined on 3/23/2014We celebrated Courtney's 21st birthday. there were 7 of us in our party. the food was excellent. we ordered king crab legs and steak. the crab was juicy and the steak was tender. they also gave a complimentary birthday dessert to Courts. great service and very nice setting. whenever we visit the Cal, we always have dinner at the Redwood Grill. As you can see, we really like it there. It was such a special birthday celebration, "Oh What a Night!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.