Red Bird Restaurant
111 N. Higgins Suite 100
Missoula, MT 59802Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Red Bird Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.redbirdrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (406) 549-2906
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 Pm - 9:30 Pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Jim Tracey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining on Sundays and Mondays in the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Laura 4065492906
- Cross Street: Front
- Public Transit: Public Transportation is available to the downtown area in which we are located.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: We are located in the historic Florence Hotel Building which is on the corner of Higgins and Front Street. There is parking on Higgins and Front Street with a parking garage on Main street which is half a block away.
A word from Red Bird Restaurant
Red Bird Restaurant severs eclectic local cuisine with flair. Red Bird Restaurant is opened for intimate evening dining in dramatic architectural surroundings with an art nouveau feel. The Restaurant strives for sustainability and serves local meats, handmade pastas, sustainable fresh seafood & delectable desserts. Our menus change frequently to reflect the wide variety of seasonal foods available regionally. The Wine Bar has over 25 wines by the glass and an extensive representation of Northwest Wines. The Wine bar offers enticing appetizers, fresh salads, artisan sandwiches and petite entrees. Monday night is live music night in the Wine Bar. Come join us at Red Bird and taste what grows under the Big Sky.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Red Bird Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Missoula ›
Red Bird Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (27)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (21)notable wine list (19)neighborhood gem (13)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Nice but not all we hopedtravelingchefDined on 11/15/2014Lovely, warm atmosphere, tons of personality in the physical surroundings, gracious hostess and waitstaff, a creative menu and unusual wine list. So why no rave reviews? The salads were interesting (if just a touch under-seasoned), but our entrees were just "meh". I ordered the rabbit pasta dish and received a HUGE bowl of house-made pasta dressed with the mildest rabbit sauce I've ever encountered. All the tones of the dish were medium - no highs or lows of flavors - and every bite ended up tasting the same. A little bit of a snore. My husband's strip was well-prepared, but the piece of meat was riddled with gristle - not the lovely melting fat that one expects. I know strips are not as tender as rib-eye or fillets, but you should not have to chew this much with an expensive piece of meat. The sauce was nice if only slightly memorable, and the potatoes were - well, utterly scrumptious, being potatoes and all. We wanted so badly to love everything, especially after spending over $130 for a meal for two, but we mostly dreamed of a Five Guys burger later. Sorry.Special Features:
- First Dinner in MissoulaTinaVIPDined on 11/13/2014This was a wonderful place to have my first dinner in Missoula. Moving here in February of next year and this will be a regular dining experience for myself and my husband. The rack of lamb was exquisite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulJoanieponyDined on 11/1/2014What a treat to have a delicious dinner in a quiet restaurant where service was very good but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealFoodieDined on 10/31/2014This is our standby for a romantic dinner. Great wine and appetizers at the bar and always a good meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful Missoula RestaurantchshottVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great restaurant, great food. Hidden away in the Florence Building behind the wine bar. Good for a business dinner or a night out with friends. Quiet enough you can talk to the people you are eating with.Special Features:
- stbernardDined on 10/17/2014I found the food to be very good and the wine list quite extensive.Special Features:
- Missoula Fine Dining2SmithysDined on 9/27/2014The food was truly "Art on a Plate" and scrumptious! The wine list had wonderful choices and the waiter was a great help with making my choice. Red Bird continues to be my favorite special occasion, fine dining choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine barlibbyDined on 9/16/2014We visited Red Bird's wine bar looking for a light, casual dinner and some good wine. We got just what we wanted. They were offering a 3-wine flight of whites the night we visited, so I had that. Wines were interesting, different, and good. We split the lettuce wrap appetizer: pork, cilantro, mint, peanuts, noodles, plus sauce, all served on a large tray with full leaves of bibb lettuce so we could make our own wraps. Delish. Then we each had a different salad for dinner: one with grilled sirloin, one all veggies with a Mexican vibe. Very good. The food at other tables ranged from soup to sandwiches to full entrees and it all looked good and interesting.Special Features:
- First Time at the RedbirdRedbirdDined on 9/11/2014It was the first time that my wife and I had been to the Redbird. It turned out to be a great dining experience. Great food and wonderful service. We will definitely have dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food!PattyDined on 9/11/2014We visit Missoula on an annual basis. Always go to Red Bird. Always excellent food. Had the Seared Scallops and Grilled Tenderloin. Perfectly done and presented. Nice wine list - even for California tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red BirdAlbertonDined on 9/4/2014Best restaurant in Missoula The duck entree and pear salad I ordered with it is one of the best I have had anywhere. If you want a great appetizer try the duck and pear patteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Bird--one of the best.MontanaRoversDined on 9/2/2014The wait staff, the presentation, the eclectic menu choices, and the charming ambience made this dining an experience. We would go back in a heartbeat. We really wanted a champagne cocktail and, following our request, they made one up! Loved it.Special Features:
- great foodawmissoulaDined on 8/28/2014best restaurant in missoula. amazing food & desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCarlosDined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed an outstanding meal (4 different entrees and extras) all were outstanding and enjoyed by out of country friends. Service was dignified, knowledgeable and efficient. An outstanding dinner and a credit to Missoula. Wine was enjoyed and well served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we both had stomach aches afterwardsandyDined on 8/22/2014The food (eclectic, yes, and also a bit overpriced) tasted devine but both my husband and I had stomach aches afterwards.Special Features:
- BadgerDined on 8/16/2014d We were very disappointed after reading about Red Bird in the Delta magazine.
- Memorable mealDorothyDined on 8/9/2014For four foodies (including a chef), this was a memorable meal! Highlights include the perfectly cooked Montana lamb and the beet salad that pleased the eye as well as the palate. Each dish was plated beautifully. While this is a perfect restaurant for a special occasion or romantic evening, I also noted it was kid-friendly because the maitre d' offered three young boys (perhaps ages 8-10) their own table next to their parents, and the boys behaved in keeping with the environment. The parents should be proud of them, but the restaurant also deserves praise for treating them as other diners.Special Features:
- Special Evening Outnkex5Dined on 8/2/2014After deciding to spend the night in Missoula, our first thought was to make a reservation at Red Bird. It had been a few years since our last visit, and remembered what a nice evening we had then. We were not disappointed this time either. Eclectic decor, but tasteful. Our server, Orlando, was quite attentive and very helpful with the menu. The choices we made did not disappoint...a fresh Halibut dish for my husband and a perfectly cooked filet for me. I also had a special soup, which was actually a trio of soups...tomato basil peach; roasted corn and summer squash. They were all excellent and imaginative. Could have made a meal of just those! All in all, a very memorable evening indeed!!Special Features:
- The following 199 reviews are from the Red Bird Restaurant reviews archive.
- ALWAYS AN ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCEDonJenDined on 7/24/2014Red Bird is our "go to" restaurant when we celebrate our anniversary or other special occasion. We know that the food will be delicious, the service exceptional, and the atmosphere calming. My husband who is not a chocolate lover thoroughly enjoyed the molten cake (to my disappointment - we were sharing)! Thank you Red Bird for another delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redbird, MissoulaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We loved the restaurant. Excellent food. Friendly, courteous and professional staff. Eclectic menu and decor. It was very special.Special Features:
- Missoula gemKristinJDined on 7/12/2014What a wonderful dining experience! My husband and I were in town from Washington state to run the Missoula Half Marathon and went here for our pre-race dinner the night before. Heard about it through our virtual goodie bag provided by Run Wild Montana, and we were thrilled with the service, the quality of the food (especially for the price), and the ambiance. Definitely two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Redbird!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The Redbird supported the Misssoula Marathon & had an ad. in the participant's "virtual goodie bag". What a great idea to treat runners to a perfect meal before their race. The food, service & everything was awesome! What a great find in downtown Missoula. We will definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special & uniquePamwhjDined on 7/9/2014All waitstaff was personable, informative & efficient. The dishes were extremely creative & superb! Quite a special place in many ways. The history of the building brings you to an era in Missoula of days past. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redbird RingerfoodwriteDined on 7/8/2014Recently friends came to town from Delaware and Naples, Fla. They wished to treat us to dinner and enjoy a fine dining experience. I sent links to Pearl, Scotty's, Redbird and F&P where they were staying. They chose Redbird on account of the restaurants commitment to local sourcing of ingredients, wine list, and elegant Florence hotel. We ran late at cocktails and they made out no problem to postpone a half hour, it was a Tuesday. Food, as usual fabulous, wine selection very nice, dessert; beignets? How can you go wrong with that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 7/3/2014We were in Missoula for one night at the end of a trip through Montana and the Canadian Rockies. This was one of the best dinners we had on the trip. We had beet salad, seafood sausage (sausage of the day) lamb and pork dishes as well as the vegetarian tasting menu. Everything was delicious, and the service was attentive without being pretentious. Relaxing, beautiful and pleasant place--easy to have conversation.Special Features:
- Fine dining at it's bestjrsjfryDined on 6/28/2014Our anniversary dinner was made even better by the fantastic staff and wonderful food. When we asked about the wonderful sweet tea we were given a bag of the mixture to take with us and directions for making it at home.Special Features:
- Made the night specialsawfereatsDined on 6/18/2014The food was exceptional. Taste, presentation, portion size, time to table - all of it was great. The menu had so many items that I would never usually eat (duck, beignets, and sour ale from Belgium) but decided to try out while I was there. All of these new experiences were so individually deeply satisfying which, when combined together, made for an amazing dining experience that my wife and I will not forget anytime soon. Carl the waiter was great - what a pleasant human being. His attitude and presence made the dining experience even better.Special Features:
- Quiet Dinner1MissoulaladyDined on 5/31/2014I had a lovely dinner with friends from out of town on Saturday evening. The waiter was friendly and professional. When the wine that I had ordered did not appeal to my taste buds he was very quick to help me find one that I did like. The soup was exceptional. I enjoyed that more that the entree (halibut). My friend ordered the duck and thought it was really good. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a fine dining experience with wonderful interesting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingPoppipdxDined on 5/17/2014Overall, a good night celebrating a family event. But, the menu prices were very high for Missoula, MT. Those prices would be high in Seattle. Also, very disappointing that when we have 8:15 pm reservations, we were being told that they had already run out of some items and were even out of sides. Really? How do you run out of pasta? The seared scallops were borderliine burned. The atmosphere was great but lacking on the substance.
- Unexpected surpriseReiman1Dined on 5/9/2014The restaurant sits inside an old downtown building, probably would have not stopped if not recommended. I could cut my steam with a butter knife. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic DinnerBigSkyFoodieDined on 5/2/2014Fantastic place for Dinner. Foodies will love it. Perfect for special occasions. We recently moved here from Chicago & decided to give this place a try. For appetizers we had the Quail Satay which was Amazing, the currie peanut sauce was the best I've ever had, and the cheese plate which really had some incredible tastes. For an entree I had the Beef Tenderloin & my wife had the Bison trio. Wow! The Red Bird is my new favorite restaurant! It has two different atmospheres. The front has the bar area and is more of a social scene for dining, eating and socializing in a bit less formal & louder area. The back is the more formal & quiet area where my wife & I enjoyed our meal. We enjoyed the decor & top notch service as much as the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MissoulaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/30/2014Red bird is a gem to the Missoula area . Service and food are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't understand the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I dined here for the first time April 26. I ordered Pan Seared Duck Breast. Though ordered medium rare, the meat was cool and red in the center. It was 50% fat. Apparently it was reheated in a microwave as the molecular-sized soufflé was like rubber. The menu described a cherry-red wine reduction sauce. Really? BTW, the soufflé came in a 2" ramekin yielding about 2 bites and it was lackluster. We ordered a bottle of the Girard Petite Syrah, but our waiter failed to refill our wine glasses. The flatware was encased in a knotted cloth napkin, which I though was a bit of a pain to untie. I had to ask for cracked pepper; it was not offered. I also had the beet salad and it was good, not great. Can't go back.
- A romantic dinnerhiramDined on 4/23/2014We arrived early and our table was already prepared. The server was very detailed about the menu, polite, and answered questions without missing a beat. The food was delicious, highly recommend the duck sausage.Special Features:
- Raving for the Red Birdbird2goodDined on 4/18/2014The Red Bird is our favorite restaurant in Missoula. The food is fabulous and first rate. We always enjoy our evenings there every time. Thanks LauraSpecial Features:
- I love this restaurant!MaestraKKVIPDined on 4/18/2014I was disappointed not to be able to have a birthday dinner with friends at Red Bird last month, so arranged another time to drive over to Missoula for this treat. I can rarely resist the lamb -- whatever it may be -- and had it this time. It was a braised lamb dish with Indian flavors -- mashed potatoes with tiny yellow split peas (I couldn't figure out what the slight crunch was and had to ask -- couldn't see them!). I usually take half the dinner home, but this time I couldn't stop eating and cleaned my plate. The wine list is always interesting -- I had a South African red blend, which was great with the lamb. My favorite restaurant in Missoula -- highly recommended!!Special Features:
- papawillieDined on 4/15/2014Excellent dining experience. For special occasion or anytime you are thinking a more formal dinner, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat-Never dissapointedSJfoodiesDined on 3/29/2014The Red Bird has been our special-occasion restaurant since 1996. We have never been disappointed with all aspects of the dining experience. The friendly and experienced wait-staff were intuitive to our needs and enhanced the dining experience with very few interruptions. Our party of five ordered an eclectic mix of : halibut, duck, rack of lamb, bison and scallops for their entrees. The food was prepared to perfection. The white-bean soup was rich and tasty, but not overpowering in flavor. We will continue to use the Red Bird as a destination restaurant in Missoula, Montana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect. As always.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2014Amazing. I can't speak highly enough about this gem of a restaurant. Fine dining at it's best. <3Special Features:
- The pan seared duck breastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014The pan seared duck breast with wild mushroom souffle was sublime. It was one of the best fine-dining experiences I have had the pleasure to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.