550 Via De La Valle
Solana Beach, CA 92075Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redtractonssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8587556600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Red Tracton's features live entertainment at the World famous "Piano Bar" Wednesday - Saturday. 7:30pm - 11:30 pm on week nights and Weekends 8:00pm till closing. Dinner is also served in the Lounge
- Special Events: Del Mar Race Track season starts July 16, 2008. We will be unable to except on line reservations for dinner. We will be excepting online reservation for Lunch Mon - Sun and Dinner Mon & Tue night. Thank You
A word from Red Tracton's
Unique 50's style Steakhouse and Supper Club. Red Tracton's is know for serving only the finest in "Prime" Beef and Seafood. Quality and quantity is Red's trademark. Live entertainment Wednesday - Saturday at the Piano bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Red Tracton's - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Red Tracton's reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (48)special occasion (48)neighborhood gem (36)romantic (25)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (20)good for groups (19)great for lunch (19)hot spot (15)late-night find (14)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great lunchBEARVIPDined on 8/25/2014Went to lunch with a friend. The caprisi salad and the sand dabs were amazing. Our waitress was warm and friendly and gave us just the right amount of attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- desiDined on 8/24/2014The best steaks in town, with a giant baked potatoe and the best creamed spinach with a great server named Robin. Everything was perfect. We also enjoyed Richard Samuels on the piano. Great day at Pacific Classic followed by a fabulous dinner at Reds.Special Features:
- Red Tractonsenosteak1VIPDined on 8/22/2014Very good food, energetic setting. Twice baked potatoes are excellent!Special Features:
- PassyunkPassyunkDined on 8/17/2014Great food and good drinks. Best thing to do after a losing day at the track.Special Features:
- Good Food!DeedeeDined on 8/14/2014We went to Del Mar Race track and this resturant is very close, you could walk. Been there forever! They sat us on time and the Prime Rib was amazing, Salad perfect and the baked potato was huge and good!! It was my husbands birthday and he loved it!Special Features:
- A GREAT PLACE TO HAVE FUNBWC2014VIPDined on 8/1/2014Despite being track season, able to find room at the small bar. Bartender engaging and very friendly even though it flowed heavy with customers coming and going. Mgr n Maitre'd very accomodating even though they were slammed. Only had wait a few minutes beyond the res time which was not unusual for track season. Waitress and wait staff were fantastic... food was excellent as ususal. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steak!bobbyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Good as ever. The rib eye steak was outstanding. Cooked perfectly charred on the outside and med. rare on the inside. So flavorful and tender. This steak is better than most steakhouses and I have been to many! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but steak was not orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014We came from the track where we had a couple owners and our long time Trainer of ours and we are family coming from NoCal, Texas, NY and NC. We continue to have a box at Del Mar for over 20 years and run maybe 3-5 horses over the meet. This was the guys weekend. I made a reso on Open Table and they honored flawlessly even the additional person. The only gripe I have is that even though it was a busy kitchen my steak ordered rare to medium came back to me fully red and rare. I sucked it up and enjoyed the meal with the men including the BEST backed or twice baked potatoes. Great service, appreciate the service, but please get the orders right. Otherwise this is a place at any season to eat.Special Features:
- My Favorite Resturant in San Diego!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014I made my reservation on Open Table 60 days in advance, since the Del Mar Horse track is operating during July. I called to adjust the time and we got a great table! My friends had never eaten at Tracton's , they were very impressed and will eat there again. I have been eating at Tracton's for many years, and never had a bad meal, only great meals. I had the steak sandwich , it was delicious. Can't wait to go back , for another great meal. Every entree is large, so make sure you are hungry! Tracton's is the best Resturant to dine at , before or after going to the Del Mar Race Track?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingJodyviVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have eaten here every year during Del Mar race season, so disappointing this time in the service and food. Hopefully next time will be as we remembered in the past.Special Features:
- Hot historical restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/17/2014What a great spot! Lots of action, amazing food. Hot spot for all types of diners. Bar dining is fabulous.Special Features:
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I took a good friend there for her Birthday, she loved it. I thought it was OK, the $5million dollor itty bitty filet was over salted, the potato was great, but ANYONE can bake a potato. I was floored however, when we got our bill, I expected it to be over priced, but damn, I was shocked, they charged us $180 dollars for a lobster!!! Yup, ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY smack-a-roos for a little Lobster!! Yeah, don't think I need to go here twice!!! But if your trying to smoooze or impress someone that you have money to burn, this is definitely the place to do it!! $180 lobster is INSANE! Our sever should have warned us!!! But I'm sure she was just padding her tip!!! Gotta love American Capitalism!!! Red Tracton's has it nailed on the head!!!!Special Features:
- Loved it!ksmedstadDined on 7/11/2014Food was fabulous and portions were HUGE! Very noisy in bar area, but worth it for the ambiance. Also has a fun piano player on Friday nights. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great food and servicestevendoDined on 7/10/2014Steak, au gratin potatoes, warm bread and soft butter and Jackie is the best server.Special Features:
- 80th Birthday DinnerJackDined on 7/9/2014Our food (my wife and two of our guests really liked their food). The other couple were nt happy with their food. The fish dish was just warm the lobster was sent back and still came out just warm and try.They said they would not come back again.Special Features:
- Food is okay but piano is great!VanessaDined on 7/5/2014We sat in the piano bar area and the people at the bar were pretty drunk and loud so it would have been great if I was also drunk but I wasn't. Food is overpriced for the quality and taste. If the food was really good, I wouldn't mind paying the price but it wasn't and I'm not very picky (I'll eat anything for the most part!). I didn't really start enjoying myself until the piano man came on so once he did, I was a lot happier! Server was pleasant. I'd probably only come back for drinks while enjoying the piano man.Special Features:
- Play the ponies then go to Red'sZsellerDined on 7/4/2014We were down in the area to spend a few days in Del Mar for a weekend get away. Red Tracton's was one of the recommended places to go for a meal and we were very happy that we chose the restaurant. It was a classic steakhouse that had a wide variety of options to choose from. Being a former Minnesotan now living in California I was shocked to see that Walleye was an option on the menu. While I did not opt for this one of our other diners did and I was able to sample it. While it was not the same as having it as part of a shore lunch on a lake in Northern MN, it was still very good. The prime rib which had melted in my mouth. We all came away stuffed and satisfied with our choices. The weakest link was the twice baked potato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visit was a good one43rdAnniversaryDined on 7/3/2014We went there to celebrate our 43rd anniversary and it was great. Will definitely go back again. We love the old time steak houses and this is one of the best so far.Special Features:
- Red Tracton's 28-Jun-2014DelMartianVIPDined on 6/28/2014One of our favorite restaurants! Great drinks, food, and service. The chops, steaks, and scallops are excellent. The lobster (the first time we've ordered lobster here) was so-so and overpriced (our opinion) and that's why we knocked off a point this time (we would have given a 4.5 overall but that option is not available).Special Features:
- All Good!gourmet2Dined on 6/25/2014We met out of town friends here and had a great meal and great food. Then we enjoyed the piano bar! Nice evening!Special Features:
- Its one of my Favorites!NanfavoritesDined on 6/23/2014Red Tractons has been in Del Mar since before I was born (well okay maybe not that old) but its been here for a long time. If you want the BEST food (come here) if you want A LOT of food?( come here) however if you think you're going to have any kind of conversation in the "bar dining room" ( request the back dining room instead) Food is a bit expensive but really well worth the price you would get at any other steak/fish house resturant.Special Features:
- Del Mar FavnoretteDined on 6/21/2014great old school steak house. Steaks great Lobster Bisque best ever. Very professional wait staff. no wonder it is a Del Mar Favorite over the yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime RibsdgolferDined on 6/19/2014Red Tracton's has the best prime rib anywhere! They give you huge portions and all their food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014Delicious food - steak, liver & onions, Southern fried chicken in the atmosphere of an upscale chop house. No one will go wrong by visiting this establishmentSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Fridays!SelectiveDined on 6/13/2014Do yourself a favor and come here for lunch on Friday. During lunch only they serve an open faced Lobster Salad sandwich that if phenomenal. Pricey, yes. Reservation needed to reserve that meal; however after lunch you will count the weeks until you can make here again on a Friday. I always do. Bon Appetite!Special Features:
- NanciDined on 6/11/2014Large portions, good food, be sure to ask price of daily specials.Special Features:
- Great food and drinkGW9411VIPDined on 6/4/2014Had not been to Red's before but found it to be an excellent stop for meat with an extensive, high quality wine list. They also had fish and chicken meals (in fact that night there was a swordfish special) but we were there for the meat. Portions were generous and depending on what size you get can be split (they do have a sharing charge that was reasonable) and the sides should definitely be split unless you have a BIG appetite. We brought our own wine but in review of the wine list were impressed. Split a salad-spinach and dessert-the éclair and both were plenty. This is not a place that the little kids will enjoy, but the big kids should!Special Features:
- Blahhh....TheMagicianDined on 5/31/2014Food was mediocre at best, but our waitress was amazing. The Mac and cheese lobster was atrocious and the meat was just "okay," I had such high hopes about going here and was totally let down. It was a special occasion and it was between here or the Aviara and chose here and just totally missed. $150 later and definitely NOT WORTH IT.Special Features:
- Not prime quality beef. Waste of $FrequentDinerVIPDined on 5/31/2014Ordered the bone in cut prime rib medium, it came with a gray color and texture of something that had been microwaved, temperature was luke warm at best that quickly became cool, the super hot horseradish did not even elicit a sniffle. At a price point of $50 per plate, the maitre'd should at least unfold and attempt to place the napkin, pull the table out so the lady could be seated unobtrusively, when I ask for sour cream and chives for a baked potato, it should not come with rough chopped scallions! The owner (Tracy) and son took turns brown nosing an couple in innocuous conversation. Ludicrous reviews touting this as a quality special occasion restaurant with drunk patrons in shorts and t shirts stumbling to the bathroom facilities.
- The bestJCSDVIPDined on 5/30/2014Best restaurant & staff in San Diego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- 60's classic with piano bar.GalieatsDined on 5/24/2014Lots of great food and good service. Great for date night. Type of place Bing Crosby would have enjoyed, close to the race track. Sophisticated yet you can go in jeans.Special Features:
- DSAIIDined on 5/23/2014Our server was incredible! She's been with the family for years, and she made us feel like family during our dining experience!Special Features:
- Ask about the Market PriceDGDGDined on 5/20/2014Everything was great, but if the menu says "Market Price", do inquire what it is. I was taken by surprise when the bill came and a half-order of king crab legs was $100. But the food was good, the service excellent, the piano-bar wonderful. All-in-all a fun night out, I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- Not good at alldatenight4twoDined on 5/16/2014We are not why all the great reviews for this place. We have been to steakhouses all over the US, and many in San Diego. This is probably one of the most expensive yet overrated places we have ever been. Our medium rare steaks were not actually medium rare. The quality of the ribeye cut wasn't that good. The service was indifferent (took me a fairly long time to get my check). In short, there are much better places in San Diego. Don't bother with Red Tracton's.
- Great Old School SteakhouseEZHawkVIPDined on 5/14/2014Enjoyed our evening very much. Great Prime Steaks and service. Green Goddess salad dressing was a special treat. I'd say go and you will enjoy yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEGreatDined on 5/11/2014Red Tractons is never a disappointment. The food is wonderful. The service is great and it is just an overall nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- desiDined on 5/11/2014always top quality food , service and ambiance Great Mother's Day BrunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for past generationsDisappointedVIPDined on 5/11/2014I've lived in the San Diego area on and off for 20 plus years, and Red Tracton's has held a legendary status in North County for nearly as long (maybe longer). In reality, I found this restaurant to subsisting by reputation alone, as everything about the place reeked of a bygone era. There are so many better options for fine dining in North County.
- Great food!BuffDined on 5/10/2014Best shrimp cocktail ever. Unbelievable baked potatoSpecial Features:
- Great dining experiencecharlie13Dined on 5/10/2014We went to Red Tractons's for a special occasion. It was a great dining experience, beginning in the bar to the table. Everyone was helpful and attentive. The portions are large and they even split a couple of items for us. Although a little expensive, it was perfect for the occasion.Special Features: