550 Via De La Valle
Solana Beach, CA 92075Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redtractonssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (858) 755-6600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Red Tracton's features live entertainment at the World famous "Piano Bar" Wednesday - Saturday. 7:30pm - 11:30 pm on week nights and Weekends 8:00pm till closing. Dinner is also served in the Lounge
- Special Events: Del Mar Race Track season starts July 16, 2008. We will be unable to except on line reservations for dinner. We will be excepting online reservation for Lunch Mon - Sun and Dinner Mon & Tue night. Thank You
A word from Red Tracton's
Unique 50's style Steakhouse and Supper Club. Red Tracton's is know for serving only the finest in "Prime" Beef and Seafood. Quality and quantity is Red's trademark. Live entertainment Wednesday - Saturday at the Piano bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Red Tracton's - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Red Tracton's reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)vibrant bar scene (31)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (19)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (14)romantic (13)hot spot (12)late-night find (10)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Good hearty mealluv2eatoutDined on 11/15/2014A classic steak house menu with basic foods and sauces as we've known through the ages. Experienced, efficient and friendly staff that are great anticipating customer needs and wants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Tracton's 14-Nov-2014DelMartianVIPDined on 11/14/2014Our go to place for special occasions. Outstanding service. Excellent food (steaks and seafood especially). Humongous baked potatoes. Great selection of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/1/2014Saturday's dinner at Red Tracton's was amazing. We ordered the 14 oz. prime rib and it was just the most delicious prime rib I have ever eaten. The wedge salad was good, although personally I make a better bleu cheese dressing. Jim loved the huge potato (it was big enough to take a bath in) and I loved the green beans. All in all, it was wonderful, romantic and we had a fabulous time. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great FindKarnakDined on 10/24/2014The service was excellent and friendly.The drinks were strong !! The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PersnicketyDinersVIPDined on 10/20/2014Excellent food & outstanding service in a quiet (civilized) atmosphere. Footnote: This is the only place locally I have been able to find traditional Southern style fried chicken. Special cooking every Monday only... If you like Southern fried chicken, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Reminiscent of the fine dining of Charley Brown's, the Velvet Turtle and others. Was great to experience this again.Special Features:
- YummyTinastasteVIPDined on 10/12/2014Love RTs... Hard to go wrong here (chicken was just a bit dry this visit).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/11/2014Jim and I ate at Red Tracton's Saturday evening. What a fantastic meal! Jim, who hates prime rib, ordered it anyway. The "slab" that he was served could have fed a small army! It was fabulous and he loved it. I had the shrimp scampi and it was great. We took home three goodie boxes with the leftover prime rib, shrimp and green beans. All in all, a truly fabulous dining experience and we will definitely be back. (The only downside was the Caesar dressing; it was awful.)Special Features:
- Best Restaurant EverChuckDined on 10/9/2014You must go to Red Tracton's. Especially for the lunch specials on Thursday and Friday. Thursday is Thanksgiving Turkey dinner. Amazing. And Friday is a Lobster Club Sandwich. The best ever. And if you like Lobster Bisque soup they have the BEST ever. So good. Go to the restaurant hungry. Dinner is also amazing. One of the best restaurants ever. You will not be disappointed. A great special occasion place. The perfect Valentine's Day restaurant. Very romantic. Try it!Special Features:
- A few problemsWallyVIPDined on 10/6/2014We visited RT's on a Monday night. It was empty in the dining room. Because my wife is in a wheelcjhair I asked the maitre 'd to be seated at a four top. I pointed it out, having been seated there before. His reply was "that isn't going to happen" and seated us in a booth. His rude, dissmisive attitude started the evening on a bad note. Separately, I made the comment when I made my reservation that it was my birthday. Nothing happened!!!Special Features:
- Red Tracton's 4-Oct-2014DelMartianVIPDined on 10/4/2014An outstanding dining experience as always! Martinis excellent as usual. Steaks and scallops were awesome. Service incredible.Special Features:
- DawnVIPDined on 9/23/2014Great place. Food was very good and the ambience, classic.Special Features:
- Always consistentConsistentDined on 9/17/2014same faces, same service, consistent food. Always good for a business lunch where you need "old school" ambience and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Tracton's is Superific!!desertfoodieDined on 9/14/2014One of our favorite dining spots in North County, San Diego. Fried Chicken Sunday is really one of our favorite nights! Excellent steaks and Prime Rib! Ask for Jackie for your server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Tracton's RestaurantPersnicketyDinersVIPDined on 9/7/2014Our type of restaurant... Great food with attentive waiters served in a quiet, relaxed atmosphere suitable for conversation .Special Features:
- A 28 Year Old GemWilGDined on 9/4/2014We went to Red Tracton's for dinner to say farewell to family. Free Valet Parking was great. Entering the Restaurant we were created by the Host and escorted to our table. Red Tracton has a diverse menu, although they are well known for an excellent steak. My wife had a pasta seafood plate with shrimp, scallops and Lobster, which she loved. We split the house special salad (made by the waitress at our table), which we loved. The rest of us had filet mignon8 oz cut, baked potatoes and salad. The meal was delicious with large side dish portions. Recommend splitting the baked potatoes and other side dishes. Our service was excellent and we left comfortably full and happy we had our farewell dinner at Red Tracton's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchBEARVIPDined on 8/25/2014Went to lunch with a friend. The caprisi salad and the sand dabs were amazing. Our waitress was warm and friendly and gave us just the right amount of attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- desiDined on 8/24/2014The best steaks in town, with a giant baked potatoe and the best creamed spinach with a great server named Robin. Everything was perfect. We also enjoyed Richard Samuels on the piano. Great day at Pacific Classic followed by a fabulous dinner at Reds.Special Features:
- Red Tractonsenosteak1VIPDined on 8/22/2014Very good food, energetic setting. Twice baked potatoes are excellent!Special Features:
- PassyunkPassyunkDined on 8/17/2014Great food and good drinks. Best thing to do after a losing day at the track.Special Features:
- Good Food!DeedeeDined on 8/14/2014We went to Del Mar Race track and this resturant is very close, you could walk. Been there forever! They sat us on time and the Prime Rib was amazing, Salad perfect and the baked potato was huge and good!! It was my husbands birthday and he loved it!Special Features:
- A GREAT PLACE TO HAVE FUNBWC2014VIPDined on 8/1/2014Despite being track season, able to find room at the small bar. Bartender engaging and very friendly even though it flowed heavy with customers coming and going. Mgr n Maitre'd very accomodating even though they were slammed. Only had wait a few minutes beyond the res time which was not unusual for track season. Waitress and wait staff were fantastic... food was excellent as ususal. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steak!bobbyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Good as ever. The rib eye steak was outstanding. Cooked perfectly charred on the outside and med. rare on the inside. So flavorful and tender. This steak is better than most steakhouses and I have been to many! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 432 reviews are from the Red Tracton's reviews archive.
- Great but steak was not orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014We came from the track where we had a couple owners and our long time Trainer of ours and we are family coming from NoCal, Texas, NY and NC. We continue to have a box at Del Mar for over 20 years and run maybe 3-5 horses over the meet. This was the guys weekend. I made a reso on Open Table and they honored flawlessly even the additional person. The only gripe I have is that even though it was a busy kitchen my steak ordered rare to medium came back to me fully red and rare. I sucked it up and enjoyed the meal with the men including the BEST backed or twice baked potatoes. Great service, appreciate the service, but please get the orders right. Otherwise this is a place at any season to eat.Special Features:
- My Favorite Resturant in San Diego!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014I made my reservation on Open Table 60 days in advance, since the Del Mar Horse track is operating during July. I called to adjust the time and we got a great table! My friends had never eaten at Tracton's , they were very impressed and will eat there again. I have been eating at Tracton's for many years, and never had a bad meal, only great meals. I had the steak sandwich , it was delicious. Can't wait to go back , for another great meal. Every entree is large, so make sure you are hungry! Tracton's is the best Resturant to dine at , before or after going to the Del Mar Race Track?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingJodyviVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have eaten here every year during Del Mar race season, so disappointing this time in the service and food. Hopefully next time will be as we remembered in the past.Special Features:
- Hot historical restaurant!allwedoisdineoutVIPDined on 7/17/2014What a great spot! Lots of action, amazing food. Hot spot for all types of diners. Bar dining is fabulous.Special Features:
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I took a good friend there for her Birthday, she loved it. I thought it was OK, the $5million dollor itty bitty filet was over salted, the potato was great, but ANYONE can bake a potato. I was floored however, when we got our bill, I expected it to be over priced, but damn, I was shocked, they charged us $180 dollars for a lobster!!! Yup, ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY smack-a-roos for a little Lobster!! Yeah, don't think I need to go here twice!!! But if your trying to smoooze or impress someone that you have money to burn, this is definitely the place to do it!! $180 lobster is INSANE! Our sever should have warned us!!! But I'm sure she was just padding her tip!!! Gotta love American Capitalism!!! Red Tracton's has it nailed on the head!!!!Special Features:
- Loved it!ksmedstadDined on 7/11/2014Food was fabulous and portions were HUGE! Very noisy in bar area, but worth it for the ambiance. Also has a fun piano player on Friday nights. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great food and servicestevendoDined on 7/10/2014Steak, au gratin potatoes, warm bread and soft butter and Jackie is the best server.Special Features:
- 80th Birthday DinnerJackDined on 7/9/2014Our food (my wife and two of our guests really liked their food). The other couple were nt happy with their food. The fish dish was just warm the lobster was sent back and still came out just warm and try.They said they would not come back again.Special Features:
- Food is okay but piano is great!VanessaVIPDined on 7/5/2014We sat in the piano bar area and the people at the bar were pretty drunk and loud so it would have been great if I was also drunk but I wasn't. Food is overpriced for the quality and taste. If the food was really good, I wouldn't mind paying the price but it wasn't and I'm not very picky (I'll eat anything for the most part!). I didn't really start enjoying myself until the piano man came on so once he did, I was a lot happier! Server was pleasant. I'd probably only come back for drinks while enjoying the piano man.Special Features:
- Play the ponies then go to Red'sZsellerVIPDined on 7/4/2014We were down in the area to spend a few days in Del Mar for a weekend get away. Red Tracton's was one of the recommended places to go for a meal and we were very happy that we chose the restaurant. It was a classic steakhouse that had a wide variety of options to choose from. Being a former Minnesotan now living in California I was shocked to see that Walleye was an option on the menu. While I did not opt for this one of our other diners did and I was able to sample it. While it was not the same as having it as part of a shore lunch on a lake in Northern MN, it was still very good. The prime rib which had melted in my mouth. We all came away stuffed and satisfied with our choices. The weakest link was the twice baked potato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visit was a good one43rdAnniversaryDined on 7/3/2014We went there to celebrate our 43rd anniversary and it was great. Will definitely go back again. We love the old time steak houses and this is one of the best so far.Special Features:
- Red Tracton's 28-Jun-2014DelMartianVIPDined on 6/28/2014One of our favorite restaurants! Great drinks, food, and service. The chops, steaks, and scallops are excellent. The lobster (the first time we've ordered lobster here) was so-so and overpriced (our opinion) and that's why we knocked off a point this time (we would have given a 4.5 overall but that option is not available).Special Features:
- All Good!gourmet2Dined on 6/25/2014We met out of town friends here and had a great meal and great food. Then we enjoyed the piano bar! Nice evening!Special Features:
- Its one of my Favorites!NanfavoritesDined on 6/23/2014Red Tractons has been in Del Mar since before I was born (well okay maybe not that old) but its been here for a long time. If you want the BEST food (come here) if you want A LOT of food?( come here) however if you think you're going to have any kind of conversation in the "bar dining room" ( request the back dining room instead) Food is a bit expensive but really well worth the price you would get at any other steak/fish house resturant.Special Features:
- Del Mar FavnoretteDined on 6/21/2014great old school steak house. Steaks great Lobster Bisque best ever. Very professional wait staff. no wonder it is a Del Mar Favorite over the yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime RibsdgolferDined on 6/19/2014Red Tracton's has the best prime rib anywhere! They give you huge portions and all their food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PersnicketyDinersVIPDined on 6/15/2014Delicious food - steak, liver & onions, Southern fried chicken in the atmosphere of an upscale chop house. No one will go wrong by visiting this establishmentSpecial Features: