2229 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redtavernsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 750-9090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00AM - 5:00PM
Dinner: Daily: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Eastern European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We provide full service catering for any occasion serving all your needs - from elaborate weddings and corporate events to intimate parties gathering friends and family.
You can choose from the a la carte or banquet menu or our catering team is able to prepare a wide range of "off menu" items to satisfy your taste and cravings
- Cross Street: 24th Ave
- Public Transit: Muni #1 California and 22nd Avenue Stop Muni # 29 Clement and 25th Avenue Stop Muni # 38 Geary and 22nd Avenue Stop
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We are located in the heart of San Francisco Richmond district at 2229 Clement Street between 23rd and 24th Avenues.
A word from Red Tavern
We are located in the heart of San Francisco Richmond district and are inviting you to the culinary adventure discovering how Old World Eastern European cuisine meets contemporary American fare. Our menu offers an assortment of soups, salads, appetizers and main dishes ranging from familiar to exotic and will satisfy most discerning palate. We also serve family style banquet where friends share and enjoy variety of dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great valueHappyeaterDined on 10/24/2014Really good Russian food for incredibly reasonable prices. Blini and fis and caviar combo the best value around and really fresh and goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantLehaDined on 9/18/2014This was our 2nd time in this restaurant. The food was great. It was hard to choose from the menu as there were so many items we wanted. We finally decided on the rabbit stew and beef stroganoff. Both dishes were delicious! We will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Food vs ServiceSapper12BravoDined on 8/14/2014This was not my first visit and I found the food to be great as usual. Our server was lacking. It seemed she was unhappy and could careless about anything service related. Based upon the continued crappie service I see no reason to return. Pity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the Red Tavern reviews archive.
- UghhrnltxVIPDined on 7/26/2014Authentically poor Russian food. Perhaps they were having an "off day", perhaps their regular Chef was away that day (giving them the benefit of doubt). We were a party of 2 Russians & 2 guests. We've never been to another Russian restaurant in San Francisco, but have eaten in several elsewhere (apart from being natives...). Middling food, poor service (I am trying not to stereotype, although if anyone can...).
- Good service and romantic...JackyDined on 7/4/2014The waiter is nice and good service. The food is good. It is worth to have dinning with your love or friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDelishDined on 7/4/2014My parents and husband came here for dinner on 4th of July. It was not what we expected for a place that had only half the tables occupied, but exceeded our expectations. The food was traditional Russian cuisine but with a hint of San Francisco flavor. The bread was fresh and appetizers came out quickly. My mom and I loved the stuffed cabbage rolls. Highly recommend this place for the comfort foods Russia is known for making. We will come back with my husband's parents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/22/2014Arrived for an 830 reservation, the place was empty except for one table. Stood at the door for 5 minutes no one showed, left went next door to an italian restuarant that full.
- Tasty!TheDudeDined on 4/30/2014Delicious food. My wife is Ukrainian so I'm very familiar with this kind of food, and it definitely was delicious...the real thing, if you will. As a architect and designer I was critical of the decor, but who cares because the food was excellent as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red TavernCuriousgeorgeDined on 2/7/2014Great Russian food yet with a modern twist. Nothing like it in San Francisco. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice placeFahlouDined on 2/5/2014The food was delicious particularly the ground beef cabbage dish. The place is simple, but it's nice and the food is awesome. Te staff is very nice too.
- Authentic RussianWillVIPDined on 1/24/2014We ordered smoked fish, borsch, and Siberian pelmeni for our lunch. The smoked sturgeon and salmon were excellent. The borsch was a bit too salty, but very meaty and authentic. We liked the pelmeni very much. Red Tavern is a hidden gem off the beaten path.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedUnderimpressedDined on 1/19/2014Despite its high ratings in Yelp and Open Table, only one of five of us were impressed by the food. I am quite familiar with the cuisine, and I must say that the food was just OK. The service was just OK as well.
- AuthenticAuthenticDined on 11/18/2013I joined a friend for dinner at the Red Tavern. I found the restaurant on Yelp that morning and made a reservation through Open table. There was one other table with about 15+ people when we arrived, and people kept arriving to join the group. It appeared to be some type of celebration. This is a Russian restaurant and the food was very authentic. We had a great slow paced dinner, which is exactly what we wanted. I would go back again. Very reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ughRobbVIPDined on 8/31/2013After getting seated, my girlfriend and I were ignored by the waiter for at least 15 minutes with not too many people to actually serve. We then ordered a simple, yet tasty dish -- basic zucchini pancakes. Another couple who came in after us who placed their order got their food before us. It was like we were invisible. This was not the experience of Russian food I was expecting. I will seek elsewhere for that experience.
- I would not recommend thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2013I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone based on this experience. We made a reservation only to arrive and see they were having another private party, so no room for us. This is the third time this happened I don't think we will go back.
- Russian GoodnessCashewDined on 7/20/2013Excellent food and variety. Beverage selection was also fantastic. The service was slow albeit friendly. A good find overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/2/2013Six friends and I really enjoyed the food at this charming restaurant. Especially notable was the Beef Stroganoff, the kabobs, very nicely done veggies, and unique desert -Chernosliv. The ambiance was so relaxing in that we were able to converse without raising our voices or straining to hear. The service was also very nice although very, very slow-maybe short-staffed when were there? Plan to give it another try when I am in the area. Very convenient when visiting the Legion of Honor Museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near mishapOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/25/2013I made an open table reservation here for 6 and when we got there the waiter acted as if he no record of that. Since I had a confirmation from Open Table, I persisted and after a bit he sat us. This man was our waiter as well and the service was unpolished, to say the least. However, the food was terrific! We enjoyed the borsch soup and the platter of lamb and chicken was delectable. I had chosen this restaurant specifically to celebrate our son's 25th b'day . He spent a year living in Moscow and we wanted to provide him with a happy remembrance of that.
- Rack of lamb rockedMokidokiVIPDined on 5/10/2013Red tavern remains to be discovered. We had beef stroganoff with a beautiful crust atop tender creamy beef. Rack of lamb was the best main course. Service was wonderful by a nice young man who made recommendations freely. Game hen was roasted well but a little plain. We will be back to try more things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the pre fixe menu onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013We had the pre fixe menu on Valentines Day. The food was amazing. Almost as soon as we were seated the appetizer appeared. Zuccini pancakes with a smoked salmon topping which was delicious. The pierogis were top notch, as well. Our waitress was Katia and she was so nice and pleasant. She made the evening a good one. We will definitely be back to try other things on the menu here.Special Features:
- Great but pricey russian meal!CelebrantDined on 1/13/2013Russian food, great solyanka and beef stroganoff. Service was slower on a busy day but waiter was apologetic. Big groups (usually families) come to dine. Energetic noise (in russian of course) and friendly staff. Parking is a challenge if youre not lucky (we got lucky). Overall we would recommend for groups, couples and family. Wine glasses used in dining table.Special Features:
- Food was interesting, hadOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/24/2012Food was interesting, had some great dishes there. My biggest complaints are parking took 30min and service was slow/inattentive.
- Not Just Russian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2012You won't go away hungry. The Red Tavern features many regional specialties from Russia, Bulgaria and even some middle eastern dishes. Food is heavy, but tasty. Not everyday for me, but when in the mood for smoked fish, borscht, stroganoff or dumplings. They do great things with potatoes.Special Features:
- Food was authentic and tastedSapper12BravoDined on 10/4/2012Food was authentic and tasted great however service was the complete opposite. If you leave hungry, it's your own fault. Portion sizes are huge. Only one server who had the personality of a rock. Extremely slow so don't expect to have a quick meal.Special Features:
- Oh What Might Have Been4sustainabilityVIPDined on 7/29/2012My mouth was watering after reading the online menu, but, alas, the larder was almost bare. The poor, embarrassed server had to keep saying "Sorry, we're out of ...." After maybe half an hour I finally managed to order three items--potato pierogi, worth going for, a side dish of perfectly prepared kasha (toasted buckwheat groats), and what would have been a great cabbage salad to a cilantro-lover (a prominent feature unmentioned on the menu). If management could get its act together, there's definitely talent in the kitchen.
- Red Tavern is unique in theBJTravelerDined on 2/24/2012Red Tavern is unique in the outer Richmond District. Excellent Russian and Eastern European foods; from appetizers through soups and salads to entrees and desserts. All served as hearty portions by attentive staff.Special Features:
- Good, not Great. No Waiters...jasontheslackerVIPDined on 1/6/2012Busy and tasty. Seemed like the waitstaff was overwhelmed all night. I felt like they might be cooking and serving at the same time. Actually, it felt like the waiter might be the only one for a 14+ table restaurant. Even so, he tried hard and the bill was a good deal (he waived corkage for the long waits). I would try again to see if they staff up for Fridays/weekends a little better as the food was good and might have been great if more timely.Special Features:
- wanted to like this moreRobinWVIPDined on 12/26/2011Odd to call a place with no hard liquor, and extremely limited wine list, a tavern. We thought it would be very authentic -- we were the only non-Russian-appearing people at first. Attentive service. And we loved our appetizers: his borscht and my zucchini cakes. But the main dishes were boring/bland: beef stroganoff and pork shnitzel. Reasonably priced, but not good enough to go back.
- from the banks of the Black SeaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/17/2011while on the surface the red tavern might not look like a fancy restaurant, the food was fabulous. lots of russian family recipes and other eastern european favorites. The waiter was from Georgia and was experienced at food service. And at the end of the meal the wallet was not that much lighter, while the stomach was very, very full.Special Features: