465 Angell Street
Providence, RI 02820Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redstriperestaurants.com/
- Phone: 4014376950
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday: 11:30am- 3:00pm, Late Lunch: 3:00pm- 5:00pm, Sunday: Late Lunch: 3:00pm- 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm- 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm- 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm- 11:00pm, and Sunday: 5:00pm- 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am- 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Red Stripe
Red Stripe is a traditional brasserie with an edge. Classic, and unique. Red Stripe has the distinction of being upscale yet relaxed, where you will find people from all walks of life enjoying their dining experience. Red Stripe serves comfort food with a French influence – simple in context, yet refined in taste. Food that is reasonably priced and made with passion! Come try one of our originals – like the mouth watering Red Stripe Grilled Cheese, made with prosciutto, poached pear and basil; accompanied by our oven roasted tomato soup or hand cut frites and aioli (surely unlike any grilled cheese you’ve had before) or our wide selection of moules (ten to be exact!) always a house favorite!Continued
Red Stripe is located on the East Side of Providence in bustling Wayland Square and was recently awarded “Best Neighborhood Restaurant” by Rhode Island Monthly.
Red Stripe is located on the East Side of Providence in bustling Wayland Square and was recently awarded “Best Neighborhood Restaurant” by Rhode Island Monthly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Red Stripe - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Red Stripe reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (94)fit for foodies (63)good for groups (44)great for lunch (36)great for brunch (27)special occasion (27)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (19)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (15)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- An excellent and reliable choice.PyrfunDined on 10/22/2014Red Stripe is a great neighborhood bistro. The food is consistently good and the service always attentive. Dinner time is noisy, but lunch is a dream. I recommend it enthusiastically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish2ndTimerDined on 10/17/2014Second visit to Red Stripe (and yes they have Red Stripe available) and it’s quickly becoming a favorite. My husband described the Beef Stroganoff as “The best he’s ever had” and I once again loved the mussels and frites. Service was a bit slow (explained as a mistake putting in our order but). Parking can be difficult – perhaps time to add valet. Very loud so don’t bring Grandma or Grandpa if they can’t hear well. No matter we will return it's great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good choicenc14Dined on 10/13/2014Red Stripe has very good, dependable food. Menu choices tend to be familiar dishes you could make at home, but they are very well made and much more fun to eat at Red Stripe. This is not the place if you are looking for cutting edge, nouvelle cuisine.Special Features:
- Food is always good.SeafoodDined on 10/12/2014The waiter was great. Our food was prepared according to dietary restrictions of people in our party. The hot bread is a meal in itself. I have always been satisfied. Everyone in my group was pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Went for moms birthday dinner. Service is great and food was fancy but not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudieDined on 10/11/2014Food was inventive and delicious. The broad menu (full meals, sandwiches, hearty appetizers, etc.) was good for my varied group. Staff did excellent job of serving our group of 8. Liked the more quiet back room. Front room is much too noisy. Parking hard or expensive, unless you are lucky enough to get on-street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Stripe for Family DinnerLK44Dined on 10/5/2014The food is always good no matter what I select at Red Stripe. The wine list is diverse and the fresh bread on the table is lovely. Mussels are excellent if you like them definitely a good option at this restaurant. Salad is so fresh too, wish I knew the recipe to house vinaigrette! French onion soup is also very good, but large portion is huge - can be a meal in itself. The only downside can get a bit noisy but otherwise lovely cozy atmosphere, good neighborhood place. Will continue to return there. Service also always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Great!LAMGDined on 10/4/2014Friends from Massachusetts had wanted to try red stripe, one of our favorite restaurants. They left raving about the food and service. The place is always packed, the food is always delicious, and the service is always great! Hands down...one of the best places to eat in RI!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally a Great PlaceNEBradoDined on 10/4/2014I have had the pleasure of eating at Red Stripe a number of times over the past 8 years. It is truly a favorite. This visit, however, my fish was overcooked, fries were cool and not fresh, service was ok but not terrific, and sound level was louder than ever. I will go back based on my previous experiences and hope for a better meal. This is typically a place not to miss.Special Features:
- Ok for a MondaySarahDined on 9/29/2014Decent restaurant with decent food, but not a WOW place. Their saving grace is being open MondaysSpecial Features:
- Red Stripe deliversJazzfriendDined on 9/28/2014Red Stripe is good at what it does: provide a lot of options for tasty meals. It isn't high end, but it's a step up from burgers and salads. The specialty, mussels, are always well cooked. The wait staff often seems rushed, but I'm usually there with a group and don't mind the extra time to socialize. Getting a reservation through Open Table is easy and circumvents the typical long wait.Special Features:
- pleasant weekend brunchPhillyCheesecakeDined on 9/28/2014A nice local place. Brunch was really good, not dynamite but good. Definitely fresh. Very nice neighborhood. Wait staff efficient. Only drawback...tables way too close. Seemed like a locale for families visiting their college kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely Slow ServiceYourMaatDined on 9/19/2014It us 1.5 hrs to get our meal served! My husband got an onion soup that came 30 min after ordering. But I sat at the table almost 2h before getting a tomato soup & grilled cheese sandwich! We complained to the waiter after 1hr & he told us that my husbands chicken takes 30 min to cook. We asked for the manager who told us the food would be out in a minute. And that she would comp us 2 desserts. We ended up packing up my soup and the desserts. It was an annoying dining experience.
- dependably goodPennyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Red Stripe is a dependably good neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Consistently good!MRS11Dined on 9/17/2014Have visted Red Stripe many times and it's always been great!Special Features:
- Special Occasiondiner50Dined on 9/15/2014We celebrated my girlfriends 50th birthday lunch here and it was perfect!! The waiter, Matt was beyond great. He was attentive and very helpful in collaborating with me about the dessert. My friend has a gluten allergy so it can be tricky. Not here- there were many choices. The chocolate molten flourless cake was incredible! Bravo :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!RundmcDined on 9/14/2014Service was great, our waitress was awesome, she knew the menu and answered all of our questions. Food was great, cooked fresh. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would returncandgDined on 9/12/2014The food was good, hangar steak a bit tough as it tends to be, Meditteranean (sp) wrap very good. French fries yummmo. We went at 6:30 pm, dinnertime, families were dining but due to the small size and the bar very close by it sounded like a late Friday or Saturday night. If you don't mind lots of noise it is a great place to go. It is listed as casual elegant, whatever that is, but in practice it is casual. Would returnSpecial Features:
- Totally enjoyed everything-food A+!BostonFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was a fabulous find for us (*suggested by folks we met in a park) - and the food, service, and overall experience were over the top! Can't wait to return to this spot for sampling more of the wonderful looking menu items we observed being served up all around us!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014We went to this restaurant for our 2nd wedding anniversary- It is not the most romantic place but the food is AMAZING! A must have is the grilled cheese with tomato soup- it has pear and prosciutto in it- soooo delicious!
- Consistently fabulousKimGeeVIPDined on 9/6/2014What more can be said? Our most favorite place with or without babies. Our home away from home.Special Features:
- Warren47VIPDined on 9/5/2014We are frequent diners. Kitchen serves until 11:00 which is late by local standards. Food is consistently good, wine choice good. Our waiter, Dana, always ensures we get a window seat and takes good care of us. RS is always loud and energenitic when we arrive after 9:00 but by the time we leave it's quiet. Oddly enough, it appears to have a vibrant, young bar scene, late 20s-30s, but not a late one. We often go after theatre, concert etc. It's sometimes obvious Visiting Brown parents take their students here too. Pizza, sandwiches to full meals. Great spot.Special Features:
- BirgsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Nice touch that the waiter remembered us from a previous visit! Also nice that the Caesar salad was split for two to share. Nice choice of toppings available for the flatbread.Special Features:
- Friendly, enthusiastic service!ThisGirlEatsDined on 8/30/2014We arrived a bit early, but they hostess was able to seat us right away. She was very accommodating to our 5 month old, and our (extra) large stroller. Our server was very friendly and enthusiastically described the menu items. He offered a taste when I wasn't sure about the rose special (delicious and reasonably priced; we ordered a bottle). We started with chicken liver pate, which was smooth and creamy, and served with house made pickled veggies. My husband enjoyed a pot of very large mussels. The Red Stripe sauce was perfect for sopping up with bread. I had the duck confit two ways. I was very happy with the rich duck leg, but the mushroom risotto was under seasoned and disappointing. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food/wine optionsJeweloramaDined on 8/25/2014Always busy, sometimes noisy. Menu is creative and the food is fresh; wine list diverse. You won't find a better grilled cheese sandwich in Rhode Island, and their fries are crispy and abundant. Waitstaff is knowledgeable and friendly. Bar is always busy. They have just expanded seating capacity, which will reduce the wait for a table. If you are around Wayland Square in Providence, be sure to stop in and enjoy delicious menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it herePickyeaterVIPDined on 8/24/2014An all time favorite. The bread is amazing! We are regulars and will keep coming back.Special Features:
- special nightsteve02453Dined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary here on Saturday. Could not have been a better choice in Providence Away from the hill and all of it's parking mess! Everything about the dinner was spot on..Special Features:
- Consistently goodBetsyknitVIPDined on 8/21/2014I've eaten here a bunch of times, and it consistently good. I especially like the corned beef at brunch, which is made with beets and short ribs. Service is always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!ClaudiakDined on 8/13/2014Our waiter Arron was fabulous...attentive, entertaining...took our pic np. Duck leg was fabulous! Hanger steak undercooked but tasty, salmon was fresh. Wine list offered great range of wines. Trolley Pinot Grigio was nice!. Super Tuscan was perfect finish with the steak. Lava cake...and coffee ice cream was nothing special, but we ate every drop. Will definitely go back! Order the duck entree! Definitely recommend red stripe!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fantastic.KimGeeVIPDined on 8/10/2014What more can I say? Whenever we need a guaranteed great night out, with or without kids, Red Stripe is our first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantCPinRIDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful food however a bit loud even in the back room. Next time we request a seat out front on the sidewalk. What a cool place. My fiance recommends the restaurant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodReviewermnDined on 8/8/2014My daughter and I both had the steak frites, mine "on the rare side of medium rare", hers rare. Both came out perfectly. I had asked for both the red wine butter and the blue cheese butter since I wanted to try both onyhe steak. Both were great. Loved the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing in every way.marcoDined on 8/8/2014Amazing food, great ambiance, great service, a place you just have to check out. Cannot wait to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014My husband and I love Red Stripe! It is our new favorite Providence area restaurant. The food is delicious, the chicken liver pate, steak and frites, moules (mussels), paella are all exquisite, and the homemade chocolate chip cookie dessert, YUUMMM! The food is matched by exemplary service. The wait staff is knowledgable, friendly and efficient, consistently spot on. Red Stripe has a great bistro vibe and the decor to match. We love REd Stripe!!!Special Features:
- Red Stripe RestaurantBillDined on 8/4/2014My reservation was honored as booked. The food was very good and served properly. My only complaint was that I had left a message when making my Open Table reservation that my daughter would be celebrating her birthday on our visit to the Red Stripe, but that fact was never acknowledged in any fashion by either the waiter or the restaurant management. I never reported this to the manager, but I am reporting it now as I was disappointed in the oversight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good AtmosphereKJM1Dined on 7/31/2014A safe bet for a nice meal at reasonable price; friendly neighborhood vibe. Well-spaced tables in handsome dining room with bar facing open kitchen. Watch out for small portions--our sea scallop main had three (!) scallops a lot of greens, and some risotto. Good, but was expecting something more substantial. Steak frites entree was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodIronmanDined on 7/24/2014Love the Paella! I've only been twice so I am just exploring the many options on the menuSpecial Features:
- Fun, FabulousJoeMDined on 7/18/2014Our second visit to Red Stripe. This time we brought 3 friends: two from MetroWest Boston and one from New Orleans. We all agreed that Red Stripe is fantastic! The wait staff are knowledgeable and pleasant - highly rated by all of us. The food is outstanding and prepared perfectly. A wide variety of dishes, deserts, drinks, and wine. We just love Red Stripe. Providence has seafood and Italian food covered. Red Stripe is a welcome opportunity to experience another world of cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 14, 2014JulesDined on 7/14/2014After picking Red Stripe off Google search, we arrived to what is a local, neighborhood place; a very nice find. The staff was very pleasant, accommodating and helpful. The food was delicious with the steak cutting like butter and the quantity ample. The French onion soup had a unique taste, not like others I've had which is soup with onions; I liked it very much. The patrons all seem to be enjoying their time and food; in my opinion it’s a place for couples to dine and carry-on a conversation; whoops there is a downside – everyone is talking so things can get a little loud. Great place, go experience it yourself – you won’t be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TCLGDined on 7/14/2014nice and predictable. quality food. friendly and capable serviceSpecial Features: