465 Angell Street
Providence, RI 02820Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redstriperestaurants.com/
- Phone: 4014376950
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday: 11:30am- 3:00pm, Late Lunch: 3:00pm- 5:00pm, Sunday: Late Lunch: 3:00pm- 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm- 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm- 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm- 11:00pm, and Sunday: 5:00pm- 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am- 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Red Stripe
Red Stripe is a traditional brasserie with an edge. Classic, and unique. Red Stripe has the distinction of being upscale yet relaxed, where you will find people from all walks of life enjoying their dining experience. Red Stripe serves comfort food with a French influence – simple in context, yet refined in taste. Food that is reasonably priced and made with passion! Come try one of our originals – like the mouth watering Red Stripe Grilled Cheese, made with prosciutto, poached pear and basil; accompanied by our oven roasted tomato soup or hand cut frites and aioli (surely unlike any grilled cheese you’ve had before) or our wide selection of moules (ten to be exact!) always a house favorite!Continued
Red Stripe is located on the East Side of Providence in bustling Wayland Square and was recently awarded “Best Neighborhood Restaurant” by Rhode Island Monthly.
Red Stripe is located on the East Side of Providence in bustling Wayland Square and was recently awarded “Best Neighborhood Restaurant” by Rhode Island Monthly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Red Stripe - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Red Stripe reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (86)fit for foodies (55)great for lunch (39)good for groups (36)great for brunch (33)special occasion (28)kid-friendly (20)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (15)vibrant bar scene (14)notable wine list (14)romantic (12)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Consistently good food/wine optionsJeweloramaDined on 8/25/2014Always busy, sometimes noisy. Menu is creative and the food is fresh; wine list diverse. You won't find a better grilled cheese sandwich in Rhode Island, and their fries are crispy and abundant. Waitstaff is knowledgeable and friendly. Bar is always busy. They have just expanded seating capacity, which will reduce the wait for a table. If you are around Wayland Square in Providence, be sure to stop in and enjoy delicious menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it herePickyeaterVIPDined on 8/24/2014An all time favorite. The bread is amazing! We are regulars and will keep coming back.Special Features:
- special nightsteve02453Dined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary here on Saturday. Could not have been a better choice in Providence Away from the hill and all of it's parking mess! Everything about the dinner was spot on..Special Features:
- Consistently goodBetsyknitVIPDined on 8/21/2014I've eaten here a bunch of times, and it consistently good. I especially like the corned beef at brunch, which is made with beets and short ribs. Service is always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!ClaudiakDined on 8/13/2014Our waiter Arron was fabulous...attentive, entertaining...took our pic np. Duck leg was fabulous! Hanger steak undercooked but tasty, salmon was fresh. Wine list offered great range of wines. Trolley Pinot Grigio was nice!. Super Tuscan was perfect finish with the steak. Lava cake...and coffee ice cream was nothing special, but we ate every drop. Will definitely go back! Order the duck entree! Definitely recommend red stripe!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fantastic.KimGeeVIPDined on 8/10/2014What more can I say? Whenever we need a guaranteed great night out, with or without kids, Red Stripe is our first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantCPinRIDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful food however a bit loud even in the back room. Next time we request a seat out front on the sidewalk. What a cool place. My fiance recommends the restaurant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodReviewermnDined on 8/8/2014My daughter and I both had the steak frites, mine "on the rare side of medium rare", hers rare. Both came out perfectly. I had asked for both the red wine butter and the blue cheese butter since I wanted to try both onyhe steak. Both were great. Loved the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing in every way.marcoDined on 8/8/2014Amazing food, great ambiance, great service, a place you just have to check out. Cannot wait to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014My husband and I love Red Stripe! It is our new favorite Providence area restaurant. The food is delicious, the chicken liver pate, steak and frites, moules (mussels), paella are all exquisite, and the homemade chocolate chip cookie dessert, YUUMMM! The food is matched by exemplary service. The wait staff is knowledgable, friendly and efficient, consistently spot on. Red Stripe has a great bistro vibe and the decor to match. We love REd Stripe!!!Special Features:
- Red Stripe RestaurantBillDined on 8/4/2014My reservation was honored as booked. The food was very good and served properly. My only complaint was that I had left a message when making my Open Table reservation that my daughter would be celebrating her birthday on our visit to the Red Stripe, but that fact was never acknowledged in any fashion by either the waiter or the restaurant management. I never reported this to the manager, but I am reporting it now as I was disappointed in the oversight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good AtmosphereKJM1Dined on 7/31/2014A safe bet for a nice meal at reasonable price; friendly neighborhood vibe. Well-spaced tables in handsome dining room with bar facing open kitchen. Watch out for small portions--our sea scallop main had three (!) scallops a lot of greens, and some risotto. Good, but was expecting something more substantial. Steak frites entree was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodIronmanDined on 7/24/2014Love the Paella! I've only been twice so I am just exploring the many options on the menuSpecial Features:
- Fun, FabulousJoeMDined on 7/18/2014Our second visit to Red Stripe. This time we brought 3 friends: two from MetroWest Boston and one from New Orleans. We all agreed that Red Stripe is fantastic! The wait staff are knowledgeable and pleasant - highly rated by all of us. The food is outstanding and prepared perfectly. A wide variety of dishes, deserts, drinks, and wine. We just love Red Stripe. Providence has seafood and Italian food covered. Red Stripe is a welcome opportunity to experience another world of cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 14, 2014JulesDined on 7/14/2014After picking Red Stripe off Google search, we arrived to what is a local, neighborhood place; a very nice find. The staff was very pleasant, accommodating and helpful. The food was delicious with the steak cutting like butter and the quantity ample. The French onion soup had a unique taste, not like others I've had which is soup with onions; I liked it very much. The patrons all seem to be enjoying their time and food; in my opinion it’s a place for couples to dine and carry-on a conversation; whoops there is a downside – everyone is talking so things can get a little loud. Great place, go experience it yourself – you won’t be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and even better serviceajwillmerDined on 7/12/2014Great food. Especially if you like mussels. Wonderful service. Service personnel suggested we might not like a house wine we selected and brought us a taste. Wine was interesting but he was correct, not what we were looking for. We drove from Worcester MA to dine here for the third time, and will do so again.Special Features:
- Good eats in Wayland SquareLisaDined on 7/12/2014We were visiting Brown, but wanted to relax after the end of the day somewhere not right on top of the campus. Red Stripe was about a mile away from Brown, but close to our hotel, so we gave it a go, despite reading complaints about it being greasy and overpriced on Yelp. Not our experience, although we stuck to the basics: Very good onion soup, burgers, hanger steak sandwiches, meat loaf (although, as some posters noted, you couldn't taste the bacon that was supposed to be inside). Saw lots of raves about the mussels, but I'm allergic, and no one else was interested. The restaurant was crowded and energetic, with a good mix of people - not just college kids. Service was friendly, but on the slow side. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great foodJesterDined on 7/12/2014Took my wife out for her birthday with her family. Our table was quiet once the food came because we all enjoyed our meal so much.Special Features:
- Off niteNotsatisfiedDined on 7/6/2014We really weren't satisfied at all. My salmon came out undercooked and I got my dinner back when my husband was done. The lentils in the dish were also over cooked. My husband had an open steak sandwich and in had at least a half a cup of sautéed red onions on it which he had to remove to eat it. We go frequently, but this was an off night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good timesDalbert42Dined on 7/5/2014The food is consistently good and moderately priced. Fun and a little loud great atmosphere for a group.Special Features:
- Great spotParkerhornDined on 7/4/2014Trendy, full of families as well as college students. (Near Brown). Food was very good. Seafood mainly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a solid experienceJustTheBasicsDined on 7/4/2014We are locals and are big fans of Red Stripe. We usually sit at the bar and think tops of Wendy who often serves us (both in terms of skill and person). Food choices cover a good range and is always well-prepared. The night this reservation is related to we had great service. Unfortunately can't remember his name, but our waiter (had a beard) was great at being attentive to a rather sizable group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/20142nd visit to Red Stripe & had another amazing night! Food was fantastic, delicious, offer many gluten free items as well. Dana was our server again & he was absolutely amazing!! Super friendly, knowledgeable, attentive & made great suggestions/recommendations! Gluten Free Key Lime Cheesecake is THE BEST GLUTEN FREE DESSERT ANYWHERE!! It is absolutely heavenly & decadently delicious! Our new favorite restaurant!! Will definitely request Dana again...great service makes a good meal even better!!Special Features:
- Terrific experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014Had been here for lunch a few times, this was first time for dinner. Due to past experience, expected a great meal with good service and Red Stripe definitely delivered on that! Husband and I brought a friend along. Surprised at how busy the restaurant was on Thursday night with it being "summer in the city!". Good thing we had made a reservation. Seated immediately, vibrant, energetic scene, superb very friendly waiter, and we all were delighted with our meals. Shared the rice ball appetizer which was huge and plenty for 3 of us to split, husband loved his pork dish, friend her pasta selection, and my stroganoff was a real treat. Highly recommend for any occasion!Special Features:
- Good foodWeekendVisitDined on 7/3/2014Red Stripe is located in my neighborhood and it is a great spot for dinner. The dishes are good (not excellent). I always order the mussels + frites. Great value. Will continue to return.Special Features:
- Decent Neighborhood EstablishmentotberburVIPDined on 6/29/2014During a visit to Providence, Red Stripe was recommended by several sources. We emerged underwhelmed. Individual items are well prepared, but dinner combinations can be misguided. My duck confit was very well prepared, as was the accompanying mushroom risotto. But the two dishes did not belong together, and there was certainly no reason for the restaurant to put the arugula "salad" directly on top of the risotto. Moreover, the dish seemed better suited to December than June. The restaurant was noisy, our seats were cramped, and we were not provided the bread service other patrons received.
- InconsistentProvRIDined on 6/28/2014Service is always very good but the food is inconsistent. Some visits the food is great and other visits its mediocre at best. Too many great resturants in the city to settle for just average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurable experienceRIdinerVIPDined on 6/22/2014Great food, great service and perfect for brunch. I have been to Red Stripe many times and if have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go toRestreviewDined on 6/15/2014This is my neighborhood go to place... Always good food, an easy walk to and from... Easy to bring guests as they can find something on the menu to please any paletteSpecial Features:
- Economy is killing staffingHugefoodieDined on 6/11/2014One of our favorite restaurants, but it was a miss this time. Not enough staff on, had to wait long time for drinks and food to arrive. We had to ask several times for silverware & water. The waiter tried his best (Dan) but really had too many tables to cover. The other wait staff couldn't cover because they were just as busy. Was this because the restaurant was trying to cut costs? or was it because there just wasn't enough wait staff available to staff the shift? Very disappointed with the manager who we watched walk around, but never went to any tables...very ineffectual.Special Features:
- Good fun and fun atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014We just spent a great night at Red Stripe! The food was delicious and all in our party (age 9-70) enjoyed their meals and the atmosphere. We are looking forward to your opening in the East Greenwich location!Special Features:
- Delicious as usualClassypubcrawlerDined on 6/7/2014This was my second time dining here. It was fabulous again. The food is delicious! Portions are generous. I had the steak frites with the red wine butter, it was cooked perfectly. We took our friends here for their anniversary and they were impressed and can't wait to go back! Interestingly, the couple we took here last time showed up with their friends! They too loved it and were eager to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food2centsVIPDined on 5/31/2014we have gone to red stripe for brunch a few times, and it was always a solid choice. we recently had lunch there, though, and it was really excellent. there were 6 of us (including a 1 year old), and everyone enjoyed their food. i personally thought the pastrami sandwich was quite delicious. we will be back again!Special Features:
- Great first time experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Everything about this restaurant was excellent, the food, the service, the bread, atmosphere, timing, great affordable wine selection, choice micro brews on tap. I had the paella, my wife had the pork tenderloin special, both were presented with pride and were delicious. We shared an equally unforgetable dessert. The dishes that we ordered were alittle pricey so I would only use this restaurant experience for special occasions. But there are other offerings that are more within our price range so we will be back sooner to try more selections that also look great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to placexocutiefoodieDined on 5/29/2014When ever I want to go out, Red Stripe is the place that always comes to mind first. They have really good food, an energetic atmosphere and the are located in Wayland Square- a fun area of Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014The mussels and the bread are incredible and most of the wait staff are very pleasant. My husband and I did take our two children here once, however, and the waitress we had that night was very unpleasant towards my kids even though they were behaving very well.Special Features:
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Red Stripe. We sat in the window with windows open. Our waiter was kind, friendly, great personality, and knowledgeable. Everyone in our group enjoyed their dinners, server, and the restaurant. It was a beautiful evening.Special Features:
- Will be back!LikeGoodFoodDined on 5/17/2014This was my first visit to the Red Stripe, and my friend and I were very impressed. In the first place, they honored our request for a table to one side so we could "catch up" after not seeing each other for months. In the second place, our waitress was pleasant, prompt, and very capable ... and we never felt rushed. And in the third place, the grilled cheese sandwiches we each had were out of this world! Served with a good sized bowl of delicious oven roasted tomato soup, the meal was more than we could even finish!! I am looking forward to returning to this great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great...EJM3Dined on 5/14/2014We go to Red Stripe often, all of their dinners and appetizers are great. I am a finicky eater and they always have something great for my basic needs and something for my wife's eclectic taste. I also consider service as important as any another aspect of dining and their service is always great from reservations to paying the bill.Special Features:
- Late BrunchJLHozDined on 5/11/2014I had a reservation for 3:00 PM on Mother's Day, which I thought would be a good time where you may get brunch and late lunch simultaneously. I was wrong, they had a very late ending brunch this past Sunday, or so we were told. Anyway, brunch was good, you have options for a variety of omelettes, eggs bennes, burgers, salads and sandwiches. I had the Salad Nicoise with Grilled Salmon and she had the Caesar Salad that came with Grilled Chicken and poached eggs. Both were tasty and plentiful - a real nice mid-afternoon meal when topped with a tall frosty. Surprisingly only 3 draft choices - I would have thought 5 or 6 would be there - maybe they don't get a big calling for more. The windows were open, it's warm, sunny, no traffic - nice!Special Features: