465 Angell Street
Providence, RI 02820Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redstriperestaurants.com/
- Phone: (401) 437-6950
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday: 11:30am- 3:00pm, Late Lunch: 3:00pm- 5:00pm, Sunday: Late Lunch: 3:00pm- 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm- 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm- 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm- 11:00pm, and Sunday: 5:00pm- 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am- 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Red Stripe
Red Stripe is a traditional brasserie with an edge. Classic, and unique. Red Stripe has the distinction of being upscale yet relaxed, where you will find people from all walks of life enjoying their dining experience. Red Stripe serves comfort food with a French influence – simple in context, yet refined in taste. Food that is reasonably priced and made with passion! Come try one of our originals – like the mouth watering Red Stripe Grilled Cheese, made with prosciutto, poached pear and basil; accompanied by our oven roasted tomato soup or hand cut frites and aioli (surely unlike any grilled cheese you’ve had before) or our wide selection of moules (ten to be exact!) always a house favorite!Continued
Red Stripe is located on the East Side of Providence in bustling Wayland Square and was recently awarded “Best Neighborhood Restaurant” by Rhode Island Monthly.
Red Stripe is located on the East Side of Providence in bustling Wayland Square and was recently awarded “Best Neighborhood Restaurant” by Rhode Island Monthly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Red Stripe - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Red Stripe reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (90)fit for foodies (64)good for groups (43)great for lunch (34)special occasion (29)great for brunch (25)hot spot (23)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- Fantastic mussels!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014My party and I greatly enjoyed our time spent at Red Stripe. The atmosphere was laid back, the service was on point, and the food was fantastic. The variety of mussels was great, and we all really enjoyed the options. French fries are also everything I had heard they would be, and the pate and roulades appetizers were amazing. Chowder was good as well - the bacon and corn really added some great texture and flavor to a New England standard. Great wine list that offers bottles that aren't too expensive - right up a 20-somethings alley! We will definitely be back and am looking forward to trying other options on their menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HugefoodieDined on 11/12/2014Our server, Don, was EXCELLENT!!! Very attentive, catered to our Mom's allergies and was very engaging. Food was on point as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedFavdineDined on 11/8/2014Everything about evening was wonderful, we had great service, the food was delicious, and a nice selection. The atmosphere was pleasant and not too formal, but special enough for our birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerMesquitePairVIPDined on 11/7/2014took family for dinner - food is great, service was quite slow. they were busy (friday night) but food for our table took far too long. We will go back if in the area, but may try another night that is not quite as busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirgsVIPDined on 11/7/2014Linguini and clams chock full of clams and delicious as always. Nice piece of fish in the fish & chips dish although the cole slaw was a bit too vinegary for my taste.Special Features:
- Bistro Fare on the East SideSHorlDined on 10/29/2014Great place for traditional and some modern twists on French Bistro Fare.........Steak Frites, Mussels, Crouque Monseir, etc......decent wine list. A local favorite on Providence's East Side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchLlwareVIPDined on 10/26/2014We were on the early side for brunch and thankfully had a reservation. By the time we departed the place was hopping and reservations were a must. Food was great, portions are very generous. My only gripe was the coffee. Cups too small and it was very weak. I suggest you get a Bloody Mary instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent and reliable choice.PyrfunDined on 10/22/2014Red Stripe is a great neighborhood bistro. The food is consistently good and the service always attentive. Dinner time is noisy, but lunch is a dream. I recommend it enthusiastically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish2ndTimerDined on 10/17/2014Second visit to Red Stripe (and yes they have Red Stripe available) and it’s quickly becoming a favorite. My husband described the Beef Stroganoff as “The best he’s ever had” and I once again loved the mussels and frites. Service was a bit slow (explained as a mistake putting in our order but). Parking can be difficult – perhaps time to add valet. Very loud so don’t bring Grandma or Grandpa if they can’t hear well. No matter we will return it's great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014First time at Red Stripe for lunch...and it did not disappoint. We usually come for dinner. Meat & Potatoes and Steak Frites were both amazing!! Great weather even at this time of year for indoor/outdoor dining! Service was very good!Special Features:
- a good choicenc14Dined on 10/13/2014Red Stripe has very good, dependable food. Menu choices tend to be familiar dishes you could make at home, but they are very well made and much more fun to eat at Red Stripe. This is not the place if you are looking for cutting edge, nouvelle cuisine.Special Features:
- Food is always good.SeafoodDined on 10/12/2014The waiter was great. Our food was prepared according to dietary restrictions of people in our party. The hot bread is a meal in itself. I have always been satisfied. Everyone in my group was pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Went for moms birthday dinner. Service is great and food was fancy but not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudieDined on 10/11/2014Food was inventive and delicious. The broad menu (full meals, sandwiches, hearty appetizers, etc.) was good for my varied group. Staff did excellent job of serving our group of 8. Liked the more quiet back room. Front room is much too noisy. Parking hard or expensive, unless you are lucky enough to get on-street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Stripe for Family DinnerLK44Dined on 10/5/2014The food is always good no matter what I select at Red Stripe. The wine list is diverse and the fresh bread on the table is lovely. Mussels are excellent if you like them definitely a good option at this restaurant. Salad is so fresh too, wish I knew the recipe to house vinaigrette! French onion soup is also very good, but large portion is huge - can be a meal in itself. The only downside can get a bit noisy but otherwise lovely cozy atmosphere, good neighborhood place. Will continue to return there. Service also always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Great!LAMGDined on 10/4/2014Friends from Massachusetts had wanted to try red stripe, one of our favorite restaurants. They left raving about the food and service. The place is always packed, the food is always delicious, and the service is always great! Hands down...one of the best places to eat in RI!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally a Great PlaceNEBradoDined on 10/4/2014I have had the pleasure of eating at Red Stripe a number of times over the past 8 years. It is truly a favorite. This visit, however, my fish was overcooked, fries were cool and not fresh, service was ok but not terrific, and sound level was louder than ever. I will go back based on my previous experiences and hope for a better meal. This is typically a place not to miss.Special Features:
- Ok for a MondaySarahDined on 9/29/2014Decent restaurant with decent food, but not a WOW place. Their saving grace is being open MondaysSpecial Features:
- Red Stripe deliversJazzfriendDined on 9/28/2014Red Stripe is good at what it does: provide a lot of options for tasty meals. It isn't high end, but it's a step up from burgers and salads. The specialty, mussels, are always well cooked. The wait staff often seems rushed, but I'm usually there with a group and don't mind the extra time to socialize. Getting a reservation through Open Table is easy and circumvents the typical long wait.Special Features:
- pleasant weekend brunchPhillyCheesecakeDined on 9/28/2014A nice local place. Brunch was really good, not dynamite but good. Definitely fresh. Very nice neighborhood. Wait staff efficient. Only drawback...tables way too close. Seemed like a locale for families visiting their college kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely Slow ServiceYourMaatDined on 9/19/2014It us 1.5 hrs to get our meal served! My husband got an onion soup that came 30 min after ordering. But I sat at the table almost 2h before getting a tomato soup & grilled cheese sandwich! We complained to the waiter after 1hr & he told us that my husbands chicken takes 30 min to cook. We asked for the manager who told us the food would be out in a minute. And that she would comp us 2 desserts. We ended up packing up my soup and the desserts. It was an annoying dining experience.
- dependably goodPennyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Red Stripe is a dependably good neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Consistently good!MRS11Dined on 9/17/2014Have visted Red Stripe many times and it's always been great!Special Features:
- Special Occasiondiner50Dined on 9/15/2014We celebrated my girlfriends 50th birthday lunch here and it was perfect!! The waiter, Matt was beyond great. He was attentive and very helpful in collaborating with me about the dessert. My friend has a gluten allergy so it can be tricky. Not here- there were many choices. The chocolate molten flourless cake was incredible! Bravo :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!RundmcDined on 9/14/2014Service was great, our waitress was awesome, she knew the menu and answered all of our questions. Food was great, cooked fresh. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would returncandgDined on 9/12/2014The food was good, hangar steak a bit tough as it tends to be, Meditteranean (sp) wrap very good. French fries yummmo. We went at 6:30 pm, dinnertime, families were dining but due to the small size and the bar very close by it sounded like a late Friday or Saturday night. If you don't mind lots of noise it is a great place to go. It is listed as casual elegant, whatever that is, but in practice it is casual. Would returnSpecial Features:
- Totally enjoyed everything-food A+!BostonFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was a fabulous find for us (*suggested by folks we met in a park) - and the food, service, and overall experience were over the top! Can't wait to return to this spot for sampling more of the wonderful looking menu items we observed being served up all around us!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014We went to this restaurant for our 2nd wedding anniversary- It is not the most romantic place but the food is AMAZING! A must have is the grilled cheese with tomato soup- it has pear and prosciutto in it- soooo delicious!
- Consistently fabulousKimGeeVIPDined on 9/6/2014What more can be said? Our most favorite place with or without babies. Our home away from home.Special Features:
- Warren47VIPDined on 9/5/2014We are frequent diners. Kitchen serves until 11:00 which is late by local standards. Food is consistently good, wine choice good. Our waiter, Dana, always ensures we get a window seat and takes good care of us. RS is always loud and energenitic when we arrive after 9:00 but by the time we leave it's quiet. Oddly enough, it appears to have a vibrant, young bar scene, late 20s-30s, but not a late one. We often go after theatre, concert etc. It's sometimes obvious Visiting Brown parents take their students here too. Pizza, sandwiches to full meals. Great spot.Special Features:
- BirgsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Nice touch that the waiter remembered us from a previous visit! Also nice that the Caesar salad was split for two to share. Nice choice of toppings available for the flatbread.Special Features:
- Friendly, enthusiastic service!ThisGirlEatsDined on 8/30/2014We arrived a bit early, but they hostess was able to seat us right away. She was very accommodating to our 5 month old, and our (extra) large stroller. Our server was very friendly and enthusiastically described the menu items. He offered a taste when I wasn't sure about the rose special (delicious and reasonably priced; we ordered a bottle). We started with chicken liver pate, which was smooth and creamy, and served with house made pickled veggies. My husband enjoyed a pot of very large mussels. The Red Stripe sauce was perfect for sopping up with bread. I had the duck confit two ways. I was very happy with the rich duck leg, but the mushroom risotto was under seasoned and disappointing. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food/wine optionsJeweloramaDined on 8/25/2014Always busy, sometimes noisy. Menu is creative and the food is fresh; wine list diverse. You won't find a better grilled cheese sandwich in Rhode Island, and their fries are crispy and abundant. Waitstaff is knowledgeable and friendly. Bar is always busy. They have just expanded seating capacity, which will reduce the wait for a table. If you are around Wayland Square in Providence, be sure to stop in and enjoy delicious menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it herePickyeaterVIPDined on 8/24/2014An all time favorite. The bread is amazing! We are regulars and will keep coming back.Special Features:
- special nightsteve02453Dined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary here on Saturday. Could not have been a better choice in Providence Away from the hill and all of it's parking mess! Everything about the dinner was spot on..Special Features:
- Consistently goodBetsyknitVIPDined on 8/21/2014I've eaten here a bunch of times, and it consistently good. I especially like the corned beef at brunch, which is made with beets and short ribs. Service is always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!ClaudiakDined on 8/13/2014Our waiter Arron was fabulous...attentive, entertaining...took our pic np. Duck leg was fabulous! Hanger steak undercooked but tasty, salmon was fresh. Wine list offered great range of wines. Trolley Pinot Grigio was nice!. Super Tuscan was perfect finish with the steak. Lava cake...and coffee ice cream was nothing special, but we ate every drop. Will definitely go back! Order the duck entree! Definitely recommend red stripe!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fantastic.KimGeeVIPDined on 8/10/2014What more can I say? Whenever we need a guaranteed great night out, with or without kids, Red Stripe is our first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantCPinRIDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful food however a bit loud even in the back room. Next time we request a seat out front on the sidewalk. What a cool place. My fiance recommends the restaurant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodReviewermnDined on 8/8/2014My daughter and I both had the steak frites, mine "on the rare side of medium rare", hers rare. Both came out perfectly. I had asked for both the red wine butter and the blue cheese butter since I wanted to try both onyhe steak. Both were great. Loved the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.