1020 Montauk Highway
Water Mill, NY 11976Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redstixs.com/
- Phone: 6317266200x
- Hours of Operation:
SEASONAL OPERATION... We are open from mid-spring (Hamptons Restaurant Week!) until late fall.
Please call in advance, or visit our web site, or Facebook page, to confirm dates.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Chef Mei
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our menu is available for take out, on-site and off-site catering.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is available to host your special event. Seating up to 150 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Crystal Nachtrab 6317266200x
- Entertainment: DJ spins every Saturday from Memorial Day to Labor Day
- Special Events: Our dining room is available to host your special event. Seating up to 150 guests.
A word from Red Stixs
Authentic Beijing CuisineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Stixs reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (17)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (6)fit for foodies (5)great for outdoor dining (3)special occasion (3)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- caramelaubeurresaleVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was good, not the desserts though. We had satays, dim sums, which were pretty yummy. The duck rolls were really good. Key lime pie - the crust tasted like it was a couple days old, and the lava cake seemed cooked in the microwave. Service was fine, as it is the end of the season in the Hampton, the restaurant was pretty empty on a pretty late friday night. Expensive for what it is.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014We had an excellent anniversary dinner here. The front of the house was super accommodating, the food was excellent and we had great service... It was our second time to Red Stix, and we will be back. Great music, great energy and a cool crowd...Special Features:
- Very ExpensiverisaDined on 8/31/2014Red Stixs' food was great; but, extremely over priced. Would not return because of this.
- BobarboyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food was great. Real nice mix of people. Creative menu.Special Features:
- Red StixsrichierichDined on 8/26/2014Terrible, terrible service. Without a doubt the WORST I have ever experienced. Our appetizer plates remained on the table well after our entrees arrived. Our orders were incomplete. It was very difficult getting the attention or help of any of the wait staff. Appalling!Special Features:
- ridiculously expensivesouthamptoneaterDined on 8/25/2014The food at this new Chinese restaurant was OK. I think the local take out is better! The waiter was pretentious and the prices were off the charts!Special Features:
- DB2468VIPDined on 8/23/2014Typical hamptons place, busy with snobby people and poor service. Sat down at table for close to 2 hours just to get 3 appetizers and some wine. Had to cancel the last one since it took so long. Good if you want to just hangout and drink.Special Features:
- Do NOT Eat Here!HamptonsDined on 8/23/2014The food, service and atmosphere was terrible. I will not go back.
- To loud to eat thereDeadliftyogiDined on 8/23/2014We had a 9:00pm reservation - and arrived about 8:50. We were not seated until 9:45. At that point the decimal level of the music was so loud that myself and my other 2 friends had to shout just to have a conversation. Food was tasty but not healthy at all. It's over prices slightly better Chinese food, with a "hot spot" night club feel. However I did like the music they were playing - all throw back 60-80's tunes - it's it was TOO DAMN LOUD!! I miss Trata!Special Features:
- Don't waste your money and caloriesLocalVIPDined on 8/23/2014Right off the bat the hostess was unfriendly and did not even pick up her head to greet us. They then asked us to wait at the bar for our 8 reservation when there were tables available. They then sat lots of others that walked in. When we finally sat we were squished in and I must say the waiter was less then attentive. The food: was ok. Was not blown away with any of the food and it was pricey. Will definitely not go back. It's good for the young and beautiful with lots of $Special Features:
- Not hotNotnowVIPDined on 8/23/2014Silly attitude for what once was a hot spot..,,.food was below average....attitude was as if we were at the four seasons...Not! The chefs were yelling at each other the whole dinner. Why? The duck was greasy and tasteless. Served as a beasty bird....no style. Very disappointingSpecial Features:
- UnacceptableCitygirlDined on 8/20/2014Food was good but service was worse then horrible. Entrees came out while eating appetizers. Entrees then placed on table dirty from appetizer plates. Table never cleaned off. Busboys didn't know what they were doing. Over-rated Chinese Res.Special Features:
- HorrendousekfsVIPDined on 8/16/2014I read the reviews and wasn't planning on going but make a last second decision to go on Saturday August 16th. We got there relatively early at 8.45pm and sat in the outside patio area and ordered our food. The food never came -- the place was filled with trolls and was complete chaos -- the manager was a complete db and barely apologized. We waited an hour and half and finally left. If you want to feel like you're on the set of housewives surrounded by trash, have the worst service imaginable, then this is the place for you. If you value an ounce of class, go elsewhere...trust me.
- 1.5 hr wait for our reserved tableInternationaldinerDined on 8/16/2014Booked a 9:30pm rez for 4. Arrived at 9:15pm, to be early. Checked in at 9:30pm again as she requested. Said our table would be ready in 5 mins. Despite my constant checking in, we watched 8 groups come in after us and get seated. It wasn't until I complained to the manager that they found a table for us at 10:45pm. After the hostess shows us to our table. She comes back and asks us if we could get up because they want to seat someone else at that spot and our seat is outside. I refuse and I tell her to bring over the manager. She then goes to him, they chat. She comes back and tells us it's ok we don't have to move. They only seat their friends and "cool" people 1st even if you reserve. Never again nor will I recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- Good Apps / Overpriced EntreesHamptonsFoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Went last Friday around 9pm. Great waiter. Very patient and made good suggestions. Apps were reasonably priced and good - not great. Spare ribs were meaty and well cooked but lacked taste. Soup dumplings very good but regular dumplings tasted like they could have been frozen. While the entrees were good, they were grossly overpriced. $64 is the going rate for all prawn dishes "for 2." However, they were the size of regular prawn dishes in any Chinese restaurant in the city. If they were priced at half the rate ($32), they would have been expensive. Bill came to $400 for three people and we had 5 drinks b/w us. Would not go back. Doubt it survives beyond this season.Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 8/1/2014Very hyped up place, I found the food adequate at best. Very expensive but really nothing wowed us. If you want to bump into someone famous for a second then go on a Sat! Otherwise not worth it.
- Just okJustokfordinnerDined on 7/28/2014Slow Monday night, only 4 of us for dinner, early at 7. Had reservation, sat down, approached right away, drink order taken..... Then....we waited and waited and waited for the first drink to arrive. ( a big bummer....) Finally had food order taken, no words of specials or any advise or suggestions on what to order... Then we waited and waited and waited.... for dinner to arrive.
- Needs more than good foodJeffVIPDined on 7/26/2014We waited 20 minutes for our table for 3, they told us there were no tables inside even though we saw tables. The hostess then escorted us outside (in questionable weather) to a table for 2 that was sharing a bench corner with another party to make it a table for 3. Took 15 minutes to get to a table that we felt comfortable at and the management/host staff was not very accommodating. Waiter was nice and helpful, food was very good. Not sure we will return.Special Features:
- Great SceneSteveVIPDined on 7/19/2014We sat an hour late but a terrific meal and they were apologetic. DJ was terrific too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too bad!DeeDeeVIPDined on 7/19/2014First, the hostess put us outside. On a normal night I wouldn't mind, but it was raining. It took them a while to move us in. Finally when they did we stood in the middle of the restaurant waiting for them to figure out where to put us. Once we were finally seated it took about 20 minutes for someone to come over to us with menus and take our drink orders. Dinner came and the food was very good. Once we were done the busboy cleared the table and gave us new dishes and silverware. The next time we saw our server was 30 minutes later. Then said our food would be out shortly, what food? We never got dessert menus. Coffee took 45 minutes to get to us and the waiter spilt hot water on my sister. The manager was rude and didn't seem to care.
- Great New Place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014We had a great time at Red Stixs! We had drinks at the bar first that were delicious! The food and service was flawless, we will def be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!!Annthegreek1Dined on 7/5/2014We went there on a Saturday night and this place had such a good vibe. We waited a few minutes before getting seated so we enjoyed a cocktail at the bar. Great people watching. The DJ was spinning fun music in the background. We enjoyed the chicken satay and lettuce wraps among other various items on the menu. Tim greeted us with a smile. He goes out of his way to make people feel comfortable and is very attentive to everyone's requests. I would highly suggest you check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one season loserluvsgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/5/2014Heard this was the new hot spot. Highlight was the maitre'd, Tim. Went downhill after we were seated. Didn't mind the loud music, part of the atmosphere. Waiter spoke little english so most of the food we ordered was wrong or didn't come at all. There was food placed on our table, which we tried (highly mediocre), then the waiter came and said "wrong table" and brought the same plate to the table next to us...GROSS! When we complained the waiter he went to the owner and the owner threatened to kick US out. Not even an apology of any kind...crazy. Can't wait to see what comes next to that great location next year. As for Red Stixs...run!!!Special Features:
- Avoid This Restaurant At All CostsHamptonsRegularsDined on 7/4/2014In a word ... HORRENDOUS! My wife and I eat out very often in the Hamptons, so we have a pretty good idea of the restaurant scene out here. Simply put, Red Sticks fails at every level. The menu choices are poor, the service is inattentive and the food is extremely dull, unimaginative and utterly tasteless (yet exceptionally greasy too ... go figure!). It is no exaggeration to say that take out Chinese food tastes much better than what we had (dumpling sampler, shrimp spring roll and Peking Duck). The prices on the sea food choices were outrageous .... even by Hamptons standards (e.g., $110 for King Crab Legs). Please HEED our advice ... if you are looking for a nice restaurant out in the Hamptons, find somewhere else to go!!
- Worst meal of 2014BigboyVIPDined on 7/3/2014What a joke! The good was bad - can get better at any random Chinese restaurant. The menu was way overpriced even for the Hamptons. The service was awful, they didn't even know who our waiter was and they brought our appetizers and entrees all at once, before the drinks even came! Then the manager started trying to fight us physically for no reason- was literally bizarre. STAY AWAY!
- MarieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Although claiming to not be affiliated with Philippe Chow, Red Stix is a very similar experience as far as menu and taste go. It is a great addition to the area - as there is no need for another steak house or another Greek restaurant. The restaurant does get rather busy on the weekends after 8pm, so if service is your main concern, plan on going on the early side of the evening (we were sat at 7pm and it was perfect). Finally, we had been reluctant to try out Red Stix due to poor reviews; however, it was exactly what it should be and we were pretty pleased.Special Features:
- The Food was solid...wannabefoodieDined on 7/1/2014But the service really needs to be tightened up... The menu was solid, but fit for groups only. You can order "half orders" but get charged $5 bucks... not insurmountable, but just an annoying mental step. In general, the East End needs good quality and higher end Chinese. So this is a great idea. We thought the food and ambiance delivered reasonably -- so please tighten up the service to this discriminating crowd so that we can continue to enjoy your quality Chinese for years to come.
- A Horrible Experience, Start to EndPeterVIPDined on 6/28/2014This is not a restaurant, it's a very loud bar/lounge that serves ridiculously overpriced food. The food costs 2-3 times more than at any other good Chinese restaurant. Cocktails are even more overpriced. The service is terrible. We ordered 7 dishes (it's served family style) and they brought out 6 of them within 5 minutes, leaving us with a table full of food to get cold. They brought out the last dish, which wasn't what we ordered. The waiter told us we were wrong and insisted it was what we ordered. When he brought the check, they had, in fact, served us the wrong dish - and charged us for it. The waiter did not apologize; rather, he told us since we ate it, we had to pay for it. We asked to see the manager, who never came. Horrible.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Red Stixs reviews archive.
- rip off!ebe9800VIPDined on 6/20/2014the lettuce wraps were greasy...and the salmon was terrible! this place won't last!
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/16/2014Friendly service and good food. Just make sure you have a high limit on your credit card!!!!!!!Special Features:
- DisappointingFun2eatDined on 6/15/2014. It was Father's Day and not busy, so maybe the chef was not working, but your suburban neighborhood Chinese take out restaurants have tastier food. If you are a party of three you have to order a half dish for the third person with a $5.00 surcharge. It was recommended that we order 3 half dishes for more variety and a better experience which would add $15.00 immediately to the bill. It isn't about the money but it is obnoxious.Special Features:
- Foodie26Dined on 6/9/2014Uninformed waiter, high prices, small, tiny portions , improper presentation, fair to good food.Special Features:
- OVERPRICED PRETENDERFASTAPACHEDined on 6/8/2014POOR MENU, MOST ENTREE ITEMS ARE FOR TWO SO GO WITH SOMEONE WHO LIKES EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO.
- Big disappointment!favola43Dined on 6/6/2014The food is awful! Even the most simple of dishes were terrible. We had soup, apps & a main course for two. There was no seasoning in any of the food. I knew that it was very expensive when I made the reservation but I had hoped the food would match the cost. It did not. Very disappointing! The service was great and the restaurant is very pretty.
- If you liked Philippe in the past..dbnyDined on 6/5/2014The menu says it has no connection to Philippe but the menu and décor screams Philippe. The food quality was top notch. On the pricy side for Chinese food but you pay for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ...Where to beginnothappyDined on 6/4/2014I ordered the Hand Pulled Noodles, Crab soup dumplings, dumpling sampler, duck spring rolls to start. The food arrived quickly but tasted like it had been stomped on. The dumpling sampler was tasteless with a bland dipping sauce. The duck spring rolls were greasy, using plain hoison sauce to dip... Pure LAZINESS The hand pulled noodles had a great texture, but was ruined by the "sloppy joe mix" that it was topped with. I stupidly ordered a crispy duck to see if they could redeem themselves with what should be a perfect dish, as duck and Chinese should be. This was the worst I have EVER had. Half the meat was soo over fried that it was inedible, the rest was pure unadulterated garbage, the best part everything... extremely over priced.
- A Stick for Red Styxs!FumanchuDined on 6/1/2014Extremely disappointing. Food was not worth the price. The spring rolls were soggy and laden with oil. Not delicate at all. Fried rice was Tasteless. The service was extremely cloying. After taking one bite, the waitress said, "how is it". This went on throughout the meal. This is an expensive restaurant made even more so by the tasteless food and inept service. When a dining experience is exceptional, price is Not a factor. Definitely will not go back.
- Great neighborhood addition!AnonymousDined on 5/30/2014We stopped in for dinner on a Friday night,a friends suggestion. We didn't have a reservation so we had a drink at the bar while waiting; the specialty cocktails we ordered were delicious. We were pleasantly surprised when seated only 15 min after our arrival! Our server was very helpful with the menu; it was our first time dining so he suggested that we have some of the signature dishes. We started with the chicken satays which were amazing! The peanut sauce served with the satay is truly addictive! We ordered the Peking duck (server informed us that the duck would take 45min to cook) it was totally worth the wait, melt in your mouth good! Overall we enjoyed everything from start to finish; the drinks, food, and service were topnotch!!!Special Features:
- Miserable Evening!EHDinnerOutDined on 5/25/2014Perhaps the worst dining experience in recent memory. The staff was unprepared for the evening, did not know the menu or the wine list. Newly opened, the wine list was notable because they did not seem to have the wines on the menu and attempted to substitute more expensive wines - we had to have the bill adjusted. At a table for 4, neither the appetizers or the main course arrived to each diner at the same time. Regarding the décor, the white and black room was nice before - the tacky, cheap looking Home Depot trellis stuck on the wall almost seemed diner-like.Special Features:
- Fairly patheticOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/24/2014The service was beyond bad. Tried to charge for food ordered but not served. The waiter had trouble understanding anything. Pass. Was good when it was Trata. Not anymore.