503 SW Alder St.
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redstartavern.com/
- Phone: 5032220005x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:30am, 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour 4:00pm - 8:00pm Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Rourke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Red Star Catering in the Hotel Monaco has over 5000 square feet of banquet space to suit your every need - be it a business lunch, rehearsal dinner, or casual post-wedding brunch. Please contact Director of Catering Carole Lombardi.
- Special Events: Join Red Star every weekend for Brunch starting at 8am and lasting until 2pm. Omelets, Eggs Benedict, and our Signature Burger are just some of the items you can enjoy anytime of the day. We also make the best Bloody Mary in Downtown Portland using our own jalapeno infused vodka and special house made Mary mix. Yum!
Red Star also boasts the best and most popular Happy Hour in Downtown Portland, with food and drinks ranging from $3 - $7. The best part is that it lasts from 4pm - 8pm every day of the week. Get there early as we do not reserve table in our bar and all seating for Happy Hour is first come first serve. Cheers!
A word from Red Star
Fall is here and the leaves are changing, and so is our menu. Come in and warm up with a hot bowl of roasted pumpkin soup or fshermans stew! Top it off with warm sticky toffee date cake and nutty woodford, ( Woodford Reserve Bourbon and Nocello Walnut Liqueur) Come see us at Red Star Tavern located in the heart of downtown Portland. We provide upscale, friendly service in a casual atmosphere. Chef Kyle Rourke is dedicated to using only the freshest local, and seasonal items available in all his dishes. From the locally raised meats, and fresh seafood, to the best produce that the Pacific Northwest has to offer. Don't forget the cocktails! The amazing beverages, and craft cocktails are led by Brandon Lockman. We offer everything from cocktails on tap to the best Bourbon wall in Portland. Call, stop in, or visit us online to reserve your experience today!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Red Star - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Red Star reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (16)fit for foodies (15)special occasion (13)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great wine list!kk68Dined on 10/1/2014We had a quick getaway to Hotel Monaco, and decided to dine in. The wine list is very nice, we chose the salmon poke, fresh tomatoes and the rib eye with fingerling potatoes. Everything was excellent, and we hope to return soon! The service was what made the meal really stand out. It was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- roadwarriormarkDined on 9/23/2014Great menu with some special items that are really tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu = Fewer ItemsarmchaircriticDined on 9/21/2014This used to be my favorite secret in Portland. The food was excellent, reliable and diverse. The service was friendly and engaging. Unfortunately this recent visit left me disappointed. They have changed the menu and have way fewer items. Seems a waste of a cool, wood-fire oven to not have any sort of bread or pizza items. My son used to love to go & watch the chefs at the oven. Sadly the service wasn't great either. We went early since we had tickets to see a show. The waiter was super stuffy, like he was from a Michelin rated restaurant or something. We asked about my favorite popcorn and--even though it looked like it was included as part of another dish we were told they no longer had it. Perhaps this spot is still ok for brunch.Special Features:
- LAPhilattendeeVIPDined on 9/16/2014Red Star is a good representative of its genre - casual dining of better than average food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014Group of 6 had dinner and could not have been more pleased with the service. there were 2 orders each of the salmon, pork chop and brisket. Everyone said the food was perfect and were very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative MenuNancyEFVIPDined on 8/29/2014A place to try new flavors. I loved the peaches and bacon - a tasty, complex seasonal dish. The shrimp and popcorn was less successful, but fun to try - and the shrimp was tasty. The bourbon pork chop was lovely; the sides good only if you like collard greens. My husband doesn't - but really liked the fingerling potatoes the waiter served at no extra charge. Good draft beer and gin martini (great, fresh olives!) completed an enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSyrahGirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food quality was below average. Dry chicken breast on burned foccacia. Expected much more. :(
- The service ok, but quality poor.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Brick chicken was good. The halibut and the pork chop was overcooked and too dry to enjoy. We were so hungry we didn't take the time to send it back. Sides and appetizers were very interesting, and enjoyable. Our Waiter was kind and attentive, but oddly did not ask if food was good.Special Features:
- dinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had the deviled egg appetizer, brisket for dinner,and a dessert each. The dinner servings were large and ok. Desserts were spectacular.I would recommend this to a friend.
- CfordBJC1Dined on 8/10/2014Good service, good food, fresh local selections, reasonableSpecial Features:
- Consistently goodNixpixDined on 8/7/2014We have been to Red Star on our last 3 visits to Portland and each time we have enjoyed our meal. This last time was especially good. We had the same server we had previously. He makes us feel so at home not only at Red Star but in the city as well. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great place.great food.great peoplemeatnpotatoesDined on 7/30/2014I was looking for a downtown restaurant I had not been to before and settled on the Red Star. It started out right when we entered to smiling staff and a red rose on the table for my daughter (requested online but still impressive they did it!). We had plenty of attentive and friendly service without anyone being obtrusive. We both agreed the brisket and sausage corona beans were excellent - I highly recommend them - although the rib-eye was tasty as well. The atmosphere and décor were very nice and on-trend yet still comfortable. All in all it was a great, relaxing evening and I suggest others give the Red Star a try as I'm sure you will have the same fine experience we did.Special Features:
- Mediocre Food - Attractive PlaceWillametteWondersVIPDined on 7/29/2014Food is very ordinary. I had the burger which was very greasy and oddly tough. Low quality meat. There are much better places for lunch in that area at this price such as Pazzo or The Imperial.Special Features:
- Cool place, poor foodfunkyjunkyVIPDined on 7/28/2014All our food but one dish was just not very good. Such a great atmosphere and nice idea when you are staying at the hotel and are tired and it's late, but the food was just plain bad. The service was okay.
- Great Service for a Large GrouphungrygirlDined on 7/25/2014I made a reservation for a group of 12 to celebrate my birthday. The server was attentive and did a great job considering guests were arriving (and therefore ordering) at different times. We even had last-minute additions to the group and they were able to accommodate us by adding another nearby table. (Very much appreciated!) I know we kept our server very busy, but he was doing wonderfully considering the demands of almost constant food and drink orders. I was impressed that he maintained a friendly and positive attitude throughout our meal! The food was also very good. Everyone was very complimentary of their meals. I would certainly recommend Red Star to friends, and look forward to another meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Miss - PerfectionTheGloveDined on 7/19/2014From the greeting at the door to the perfection of the desserts, start to finish, whatever your occasion, you will be delighted. The service is second to NONE!! The servers cooperate and whatever your need, the server nearest you will see to it. No --- "I will get YOUR server", just "right away, my pleasure." I had a perfectly turned ribeye that begged me to come back, again and again, really!! (I can hear it now, in fact, and I really would like to go back, right now!) You will NOT be disappointed. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, excellent foodBionicBarbieDined on 7/18/2014Our server Rusty was outstanding. He was attentive and made helpful recommendations without being overbearing. The food at Red Star is always excellent. The menu choices have a definite Northwest flair. We like the unique offerings compared to other conglomeration restaurants.Special Features:
- The following 337 reviews are from the Red Star reviews archive.
- Excellent service and good foodShankarFamilyDined on 6/12/2014We were 6 of us celebrating our company's success. Booked thru Open Table. There were a couple of vegetarians amongst us. Red Star knew this ahead of time and made suggestions accordingly. The wine pairing suggested was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre....RoadWarrior45VIPDined on 5/31/2014Sadly, not a lot to recommend as outstanding. Management needs to work on server staff training as our table was ignored several times despite attempts to get their attention. The food? OK, just not up to what can be found elsewhere in Portland.
- Great findLeeshaNicholeDined on 5/21/2014It was my boyfriends birthday dinner. They put a hand drawn card on the table for his birthday :) the service staff was AWESOME and so knowledgeable . Kind staff. They really cater to you but not overbearingly ... Loved it here we will definintely be back for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!MeekoB94501VIPDined on 5/19/2014Enjoyed breakfast, the chorizo hash was fantastic. Smokey, yummy, eggs cooked perfectly. The server brought an array of salsas when I asked for hot sauce. Taste buds were thrilled! Very creative menu with a variety to satisfy the palate. . Will definitely return when we visit Portland again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- False advertisingbottomlessmimosasorbustDined on 5/11/2014I chose this place for my big family to have Mother's Day Brunch, largely for the bottomless mimosas advertised (on Open Table & confirmed in my reservation email). We arrived & they did not have the offer, "by OLCC regulations." We were disappointed, but they handled it well and Red Star covered our first round. It was our first time there-portions are small for hungry boys, but the food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningcntrygrlvistspdxDined on 5/10/2014More of a select menu but your taste buds will be very pleased. We ordered a simple burger which turned out to be more than an average burger it was delicious. Our waiter was gracious, friendly and very professional. Was a very pleasant dinner and would definitely go back and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedBartDined on 5/9/2014although alone as a traveler, was disappointed in the food and service. the server was scattered and unfocused. he said he a had a table that was "demanding". how does that help me? other servers in vicinity but did not observe teamwork between them. The brisket was tough and the beans seemed undercooked. Did not share as there was no one to check back. Probably will not try Red Star Tavern againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Great restaurant, great food and great drinks!! I liked the wine bottle water glasses VERY cool! The food was delicious! We were visiting from San Francisco and open table helped us find this truly great restaurant! Thank you for a memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Easter BrunchBonniePDined on 4/20/2014Very good food, accommodating staff to make menu changes for traditional eggs Benedict , child friendly. I nightly recommend this restaurant . Plus m&m's and other chocolate eggs, etc sprinkled on the table at the end for all! Well Done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had heard that their burgerxxxxVIPDined on 4/3/2014We had heard that their burger was great, so we tried it. Indeed it was great. Also, the service was fantastic. Friendly and paying attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, Hotel Monaco!IrisVIPDined on 4/2/2014Had I not gone to the Hotel Monaco, I would not have known what an excellent restaurant was hidden there. Very attentive waitstaff, delicious cuisine and reasonable (not low), prices. Elegant.Special Features:
- Nice people, but it's PortlandDMaeDined on 3/18/2014I did the dining month menu. Adequate starter; I had the beet salad. The brevette steak as my main, and exceedingly average, Dessert was the fried ice cream, which was lovely.. Service was painfully slow. I am a solo diner and was "treated" to a poorly situated table by the door. The best part of this restaurant is that it is connected to the Hotel Monaco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience. FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014Great dining experience. Friendly staff, good food, outstanding dessert. Special acknowledgement of birthdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just as good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014I haven't been to Portland for a while and the hotel Monaco was as good is I remember. Had a great dinner with my daughter and two granddaughters at the Red Star and I must confess I had forgotten just how good a place it is. Great and funny waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Listen to your server!chloeVIPDined on 3/13/2014I was on the fence between two items. After chatting it over with my server, she made a recommendation that was off my radar, and was I glad I listened to her! Wine selection was easy to navigate, paired great with my entree. Was very pleased to find Red Star and will happily come back!Special Features:
- First time I've been herefoodfanDined on 3/11/2014First time I've been here for lunch. Great menu selection and food, service and ambiance was great!Special Features:
- AlternativesWJShayDined on 3/7/2014I appreciate the healthy alternatives on the lunch menu.Special Features:
- Great find......jelaDined on 2/28/2014Must try the pork chop. Amazingly good and great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchKathryneDined on 2/23/2014Met a friend for brunch here. The Red Star does a consistently good breakfast; even their oatmeal is good! On this morning I had the red flannel omelet that had wagyu brisket, goat cheese and a molasses bbq sauce. It was very tasty. The fresh fruit that I had with it was a nice mix - not the usual winter melon melange (though there was melon). It was accompanied by a really tasty whole grain toast. Beyond the food, the service was attentive without being intrusive; friendly but not overbearing. All in all a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sausage soup very bland.PerrymansDined on 2/20/2014The sausage soup very bland. Bread smelled good but no taste to it, did not like salt on the butter it came with. Pork chops were cooked perfected but once again no taste.
- Love this PlacejrheimbignerDined on 2/19/2014My wife and I used the Red Star for our Wedding Reception two years ago. They took care of us well then, and continue to everytime we come in to eat. I loved how the server was conversational, but not over the top. The food was great as always and we love the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hosts are...blehRedStarRegularDined on 2/17/2014We love Red Star. On our last visit, the hostess with the sides of her head shaved was unfriendly to the point of near-rudeness. Good food (despite recent cost-cutting measures), and great service overall, but hosting (especially this time) can be...bleh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait was worth it...JplusLDined on 2/14/2014Although we had to wait almost an hour for dinner to be delivered (Valentine's day rush perhaps), the food really was good enough to be worth it (the complementary dessert didn't hurt either). The staff was able to move us to a different table due to a draft. The burger was excellent. Would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.