Red Rooster Harlem
310 Lenox Avenue
New York, NY 10027Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Rooster Harlem
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redroosterharlem.com/
- Phone: 2127929001
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Fri 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Samuelsson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Room Available
- Private Party Contact: Erica Morris x
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment:
On Sunday Gospel Brunch (reservations accepted downstairs in Ginny's Supper Club)
Sunday Night (Jazz)
Monday Night (Rakiem Walker Project)
Tuesday Night (Latin Night)
A word from Red Rooster Harlem
Located in the heart of Harlem, Red Rooster serves comfort food celebrating the roots of American cuisine and the diverse culinary traditions of the neighborhood. Named in honor of the legendary Harlem speakeasy, Chef Marcus Samuelsson brings his passion for food to the neighborhood he calls home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Rooster Harlem reviews from OpenTable diners
604 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (342)neighborhood gem (339)fit for foodies (334)vibrant bar scene (314)special occasion (197)great for outdoor dining (180)great for lunch (167)good for groups (153)late-night find (144)great for brunch (135)romantic (70)notable wine list (53)kid-friendly (37)scenic view (22)Show More
- It's a WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/19/2014Great food. Great service. Jazz on Sunday night. Lots of fun. Another Marcus Samuelsson gem.Special Features:
- Eclectic, delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Red Rooster is a spot you want to visit often if you live there. This was my second visit from out of town and as the first time I went back in August, the food is delicious. Got the "Yardbird" entree again as well as some new items such as the deviled eggs and the sweet potato donuts for dessert. Highly recommended and will visit again on my next trip to NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bucket liatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We came to Red Rooster based on a recommendation of a friend, but it's also been on our restaurant bucket list for some time. We were not disappointed, will definitely be back our next visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in HarlemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014If you are in NY you need to go to Red Rooster for lunch, brunch or dinner. You get comfortfood at its best. Often you there is live music. A truly american experience by Swedish chef Markus Samuelsson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNIQUE AND ACCESSIBLEyekpsDined on 10/15/2014My sis pointed out that Marcus Samuelsson manages to create an ambiance and menu that is both unique and welcoming at the same time. We loved the flavors and textures. The shrimp and grits had just enough spice without being overpowering. The grits were smooth and fine. We loved the cornmeal butter cake. Each bite was special. The homey but hip atmosphere makes me want to go back. I thought the prices were surprisingly reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is tasteFOODisTASTEDined on 10/15/2014I was looking for a good place to take a foodie for a "getting acquainted" business lunch and Red Rooster Harlem delivered. Each course of the $25 prix fixe lunch was exceptionally tasty with a reasonable selection of wine that complemented the meal well. The atmosphere was active, but with only a moderate noise level that did not interfere with conversation. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive and never pretentious. The location was convenient both as an easy subway ride from midtown, and as a drive into the city from out of town, with easy parking in a garage one block away. The tasty meal is calling me back for a return visit soon.Special Features:
- Perfect nightKMB1Dined on 10/14/2014Could not have had a better time at Red Rooster! It was my first visit and I had been dying to try it for years as I am a big Marcus Samuelson fan. We got there an hour before our reservation and the bar was jumping. Great singer, bongo and trombone players. Everyone was dressed dapper and really enjoying the vibe. Got seated at a corner booth and about 20 minutes in, Marcus Samuelson himself sat down at the table right next to us! He was friendly, spoke to us briefly and shook my hand and even walked around a few tables greeting people. He sat there for his own personal meal. Food was good. I had the house special Yardbird which had great spices. I would definitely go back although it would be hard to beat that experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but crowdednycreviewerDined on 10/13/2014Had amazing food, but the place was packed and we were sat at a group table. The noise and large number of people were a little distracting, but definitely still worth it because of the delicious food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Victim of its own success?KdedcDined on 10/13/2014The food was good, but nothing to write home about. The service was friendly but kind of inattentive, except for when they brought our entrees out five minutes after we ordered. We felt like we were being rushed so they could cycle through the throngs of people waiting.
- Marcus Samuelsson's Food is AwesomeRLEsqDined on 10/13/2014I had an enjoyable time. The cornbread with butter and tomato jam was tasty, as was my Boo Roo Chicken Sandwich. But the cornmeal butter pudding deserves a monument because it was divine. Looking forward to eating here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...FoodieYumDined on 10/12/2014Great vibe. Great live music! But the food... It started off with them bringing my partner's appetizer to the neighbouring table. They took it back and re-made it, however, I think they left mine to sit... My $16 grilled shrimp were luke warm - heavy on the luke. I let it go, figuring shrimp are sometimes served cold (not usually when they are 'grilled'). When my entree arrived, it was cold - not cool for roasted salmon. I returned it. They made a new one. It was yummy and hot, however, I got it after my partner was well finished his entree. We ate in shifts. I told the manager who was checking in with guests. She offered a less than sincere apology - not even a free tea... We ate at the Modern the night before - no comparison!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014THEY DIDNT HONOR MY RESERVATION TIME. THEY OVER-BOOKED AND WE WERE FORCED TO ACCEPT SEATS OUTSIDE UNDER HEAT LAMPS. HAVING TRAVELLED FROM MONTREAL WE HAD NO CHOICE IF WE WANTED TO STAY. NOW HAVING BEEN SEATED OUTSIDE IT SEEMS THEY CATERED TO THE INSIDE CROWD AND WE HAD BEEN LOST IN THE SHUFFLE. SERVICE FOR 1 ENTRE AND 2 MAINS TOOK CLOSE TO AN HOUR AND A HALF. THAT BEING SAID AFTER A LONG WAIT THE FOOD WAS NOT WORTH IT. I WILL NOT BE RETURNING. IT WAS OVERALL A BAD EXPERIENCE.
- Very nice experienceOslocallingDined on 10/8/2014We had read about the Red Rooster and wanted to try it when on holiday in New York, and we were not disappointed! We arrived a bit early to have a pre-dinner drink at the bar, and loved the ambience - people-filled and vibrant, and even if quite loud music it just added to the fun. Also, when proceeding to the restaurant, the positive experience continued: excellend food, good wine and nice service. We will absolutely recommend this place to friends & family going to NY, and have it listed for our next trip to this excellent city.Special Features:
- Dålig kväll?2swedesDined on 10/8/2014Vi hade stora förväntningar på kvällen efter att läst/hört mycket goda omdömen av denna restaurang. Service: Snabbt til bords efter ankomst var nog det enda glädjande vad avser servicen. Annars var det lång väntan och felaktiga serveringar av våra beställningar. Maten: Kycklingvingarna til förrätten var fantastiska. "Köttbiten för två" till huvudrätt var inte stekt till önskad färg şamt att det vart segt. Efterrätten 3 skopor glass, som glömdes bort, och som vi fick påminna om, serverades osmakligt i en liten "frukost-skål".
- Always delicious, fun, comfortingalisonoVIPDined on 10/7/2014It had been a few years since we visited Red Rooster. Some things seem to have changed, while other things are the same. I don't remember live music from a few years ago, but it seems like every night there's music under different themes. It's great but hard for any conversation. The food is still delicious and I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014We had a great experience! The food was delicious, the service was grea and the atmosphere nice and lively. We were placed at a table with very nice people and had a really great night! We'll go back next time in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Rooster, a gem in Harlem.Love2eatDined on 10/7/2014We walked for more than an hour to arrive at the destination. Marcus Samuelsson's Red Rooster made our walk worthwhile along with the architectural experience of Harlem. The ambience is exceptionally inviting and blends in with the images of Harlem. While the fare is mainly American, Red Rooster offers the best Swedish Meatballs. I believe this to be Marcus heritage. The pre-fixe lunch at $ 25 is a bargain, but the quality is exceptional. The service was bit slow but who cares when the ambience and the food are pleasing. I will return to the restaurant walking from Columbus Circle and recommend it to every visitor to NYC. Congratulations Marcus to Red Rooster and your team. To Ginny's Supper Club, next visit for brunch ,.Marcus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding4LuckySwedesDined on 10/6/2014We were welcomed in the entrance in a way that we felt very special. We were perfectly seated. The waitress (Tonia) has aptitude for her work. Her recomendations were perfect. Excellent food, excellent wine. And she was nice too. It is very important. We will strongly recommend the Red Rooster to our friends.Special Features:
- Good dining experienceRowdyGowdyDined on 10/5/2014Very good food, good ambiance, good service. A very good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food and ServiceLotsemellonDined on 10/5/2014The deviled eggs are to die for. So is the dry rubbed beef. There was not one thing we ate that was not really special. Service is impeccable, with the servers being there when you want them, invisible when you don't. The only thing I would add is the decor does not match the food and service. It needs a little updating, especially the ceilingSpecial Features:
- SuzanneVIPDined on 10/4/2014Good food with a terrific wait staff. Desserts are outstanding and not to be missed.Special Features:
- Harlem knowsBritsdoknowaboutfoodDined on 10/3/2014Fantastic vibe. Great music. We ate the Harlem Chowder which was a huge shared portion of seafood. It was much like a boulabaisse. So delicious. Wait staff were attentive and friendly. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but underwhelmingLeasiderDined on 10/3/2014Being a big fan of watching Marcus Samuelson, we had high expectations for Red Rooster. Unfortunately, the food fell a bit short. While the food was quite good, there was no wow factor and some of the food seemed under seasoned and lacking some spice. Atmosphere is very fun and we had a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night4ladiesDined on 10/3/2014You gave four ladies from Sweden a great night out. Lovely food and a fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!FoodieDined on 10/3/2014You have to try waffels with chicken and chickenlivermousse and bourbon mapel syrap! Sound weird but sooo good! They also have a Prix menu for 25 dollars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to pleasealtobarbDined on 10/3/2014This was my 4th or 5th visit and it was better than ever. Food is always outstanding--today I had Helga's Meatballs again, my first repeat, and they did not disappoint and started with Caribbean Bacon--oh my! That is the dish I will have again; it was fabulous--so nicely flavored, just enough of everything, all in proportion, SO delicious! Everything else was also wonderful--my dining companions were just as pleased. Service was, as always, top-notch and gracious. And, while it's lively, it's never so noisy that I can't talk to my companions. I can't wait until next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Rooster Crows but....figmentVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is so close to being as good as it should be!! The fried chicken is good if you prefer extra crispy. The mac and greens needed a touch more flavor and the shrimp and grits may be the best in the city, but not close to the best you can find below the Mason- Dixon line! The Rooster is fun and vibrant. The food has soul and a bit of southern roots. I just wish he had a little more drawl if y'all know what I mean.Special Features:
- Good but not spectacularNCrosbyTucsonDined on 10/2/2014I made reservations 90 days ahead arrived a bit early due to transportation concerns I am in a wheelchair. Nonetheless we waited 49 minutes past our reservation time with little room to wait. The staff was very kind once we were called and gave us some extra food and drink goodies to compensate but we came from TriBeCa and it was a long haul to get there a bit of a disappointment .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for girls night outJCFoodieDined on 10/2/2014We thought the service was great, the manager was very nice and the bar had a lot of energy. Everyone was happy with their food choices, Shrimp and Grits has a little kick to it. The playlist was my favorite feature, it was hard to sit still. The option to see live music downstairs was a bonus.Special Features:
- Cool great place in HarlemBjornDined on 10/2/2014Red rooster is a place you really want to get back to. Cool place with great service, food is simple but really good taste. The pino noir was wry good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okejOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Is The Red Rooster a bad restaurant? No! Is it wort taking time to go up to Harlem just to eat there? No nothing special about the food or servixe.. they have a great selection av bourbons!Special Features:
- Mind blowing soul food with a twistChubbyDined on 9/30/2014Red Rooster with its lively bar scene, great live music, and perfect food is one of the best restaurant experiences that New York has to offer. Did I mention that the staff is amazing. You will love it. But reservations are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than everMrChuyVIPDined on 9/30/2014Over the last two years I have had one meal that was better than the last. The current menu is delicious. The shrimp and grits are spectacular and the seasonal cocktail list is one of the city's best. Superb, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvellous experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Great food, nice staff, great music (local live). Will definately visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rCubed3Dined on 9/29/2014Enjoyed the food & good service. We ate a late lunch & had easy seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just about 5 out of 51N87Dined on 9/28/2014Loved the atmosphere, food was amazing. Only reason it doesn't get an enthusiastic 5/5 was that 3 of the entre items were sold out. My gf doesn't enjoy fish so it really limited her choices. We ended up with wings as an appetizer, and then 2 chicken dishes for entres. Everything was delicious but would have really liked if the lobster Mac and cheese or the Swedish meatballs were available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunch!FatherandSonDined on 9/28/2014We took a small brunch early on sunday and really enjoyed what we got! Perfect service and some good live blues-jazz music from the bar made this til a nice little occasion at the start of our day. Little to many swedes in the restaurant, maybe, but we are swedes ourself so we can´t complain to much over that... Strong recommendations!Special Features:
- club or dinner?natnatDined on 9/27/2014on a Saturday night the dining room is extremely energetic - to the point that it felt like a dance club, with tables around us actually dancing and singing in their seats. fun, energetic, but not really appropriate for dinner. food was great!!Special Features:
- Great Night Out with my LadiesJoJoADined on 9/26/2014We visited Red Rooster for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed the food, ambience and music. We also visited the bar downstairs after our meal and had a great time! We would definitely recommend this to everyone!!Special Features:
- Really food food..CURBSIDETHOMASDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic Seating at the door, nice lokal, god wines, service superb, food delicious...thanks:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.