Red Rooster Harlem
310 Lenox Avenue
New York, NY 10027Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Rooster Harlem
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redroosterharlem.com/
- Phone: 2127929001
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Fri 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Samuelsson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Room Available
- Private Party Contact: Erica Morris x
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment:
On Sunday Gospel Brunch (reservations accepted downstairs in Ginny's Supper Club)
Sunday Night (Jazz)
Monday Night (Rakiem Walker Project)
Tuesday Night (Latin Night)
A word from Red Rooster Harlem
Located in the heart of Harlem, Red Rooster serves comfort food celebrating the roots of American cuisine and the diverse culinary traditions of the neighborhood. Named in honor of the legendary Harlem speakeasy, Chef Marcus Samuelsson brings his passion for food to the neighborhood he calls home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Rooster Harlem reviews from OpenTable diners
590 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (341)hot spot (335)fit for foodies (330)vibrant bar scene (298)special occasion (185)great for outdoor dining (167)great for lunch (162)good for groups (146)late-night find (140)great for brunch (121)romantic (67)notable wine list (50)kid-friendly (38)scenic view (21)Show More
- A great lunch at Red Rooster HarlemRichard45VIPDined on 10/28/2014The food here is really delicious. The service is attentive and the atmosphere is festive. This is such a great part of the New York experience for those of us who live here and for those who are visiting.Special Features:
- Fine dining in Harlem 125 streetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014First experience was excellent, enjoyed the people & ambiance plus food was Ono. Plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2014We were in NYC for a girls' weekend. We were fortunate to have a beautiful place to stay and we took our hosts here as a thank you. I botched the reservations but the hostess graciously forgave me and worked to find us a place to sit outside under the heaters. It was a good call since I don't think we would have been able to hear each other inside. It was PACKED for a Monday night. The service was delightful, if a little slow. Staff were warm and engaging. I commented on how much I liked one of the plates and the waiter brought one for me to see the make of. As we were getting close to the end of our meal, we realized a band had set up just inside the doors and was rocking the house! We stayed and listened for a while and loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally fabNightlife4twoDined on 10/26/2014I brought my daughter to Red Rooster, it was her 1st time. Although the menu was a lil scary for her, she actually had a great time. The place was energetic and live. As we were leaving after dinner, there was a live band playing jazz which I thought was great. I definitely would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!EmmaVVIPDined on 10/25/2014I absolutely LOVED this place. The entire vibe was amazing and the food was to die for. I cannot wait to return to NY and eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red RoosterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Food was great and creative as expected but the bar scene and volume was a little more active than I was expecting. Pretty loud. I chose to sit outside to escape the volume which will not be an option as the weather turns. It was a Saturday night reservation at 9 am so that could have contributed to bar ramping up. Our appetizers were great but temperature was lacking, like they had sat for awhile before being delivered.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Red Rooster is a great restaurant. I don't have anything negative to say except that it was a bit noisy. Food was delicious. I was very happy that the waiter mentioned that a meat dish had a shrimp broth base as my son is allergic to shellfish and you would never have known that from the menu. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and Yummy Dining in Harlemsativus84Dined on 10/24/2014An easy subway ride from midtown, this is a totally charming, comfortable lunch spot with good food and menu choices for everybody. No pretension whatsoever and lots of attention to detail in the yummy dishes which show everyone knows what they are doing in the kitchen. Don't miss the tomato jam on the delicious cornbread! I know I will be returning again to sample the amazing seafood I saw being prepared in the kitchen and the fried chicken and other dishes being served all around me. My Swedish meatballs, cabbage, lingonberries and buttermilk mashed potatoes were an excellent combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally got here...NewtotownVIPDined on 10/24/2014And will be back. We enjoyed a late weekday lunch of Swedish meatballs and fried yard bird. Everything was divine! Fun vibe, interesting crowd (mixture of very cool characters and in-awe tourists craning necks for celebrity chef). Red Rooster has a happy, upbeat feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equalled the hypeBenjaminJrDined on 10/23/2014Warm welcome, great crowd, seated on time, food delicious. Very nice indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A life affirming evening out.BetterthanmomsDined on 10/21/2014Leslie and I had a wonderful time. The food was excellent as was the service. We never felt rushed. There was a terrific salsa band and although it was noisy at times, it reverberated as energy rather than noise. We had a difficult time pulling ourselves away. The staff was helpful and kind on the eye. A beautifully conceptualized dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereCarolineDined on 10/20/2014Very good service, kind people, delicious food and music. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a WinnerWoweeeeeedVIPDined on 10/19/2014Great food. Great service. Jazz on Sunday night. Lots of fun. Another Marcus Samuelsson gem.Special Features:
- Great Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014This place is awesome. My wife and I have been back a few times, and each time is great. The place is full of cool, trendy people from all different backgrounds and age ranges. The food is amazing! You gotta get the Mac and Greens! The service is great too, the food comes out fast and hot. The server was always there to freshen our drinks and clear the table between courses.Special Features:
- FantasticPeterDined on 10/18/2014The environment och staff was fantastic. The food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic, delicious food!vlab0618Dined on 10/17/2014Red Rooster is a spot you want to visit often if you live there. This was my second visit from out of town and as the first time I went back in August, the food is delicious. Got the "Yardbird" entree again as well as some new items such as the deviled eggs and the sweet potato donuts for dessert. Highly recommended and will visit again on my next trip to NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bucket liatCaleb25davidDined on 10/17/2014We came to Red Rooster based on a recommendation of a friend, but it's also been on our restaurant bucket list for some time. We were not disappointed, will definitely be back our next visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in HarlemSwedishfishDined on 10/16/2014If you are in NY you need to go to Red Rooster for lunch, brunch or dinner. You get comfortfood at its best. Often you there is live music. A truly american experience by Swedish chef Markus Samuelsson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNIQUE AND ACCESSIBLEyekpsDined on 10/15/2014My sis pointed out that Marcus Samuelsson manages to create an ambiance and menu that is both unique and welcoming at the same time. We loved the flavors and textures. The shrimp and grits had just enough spice without being overpowering. The grits were smooth and fine. We loved the cornmeal butter cake. Each bite was special. The homey but hip atmosphere makes me want to go back. I thought the prices were surprisingly reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is tasteFOODisTASTEDined on 10/15/2014I was looking for a good place to take a foodie for a "getting acquainted" business lunch and Red Rooster Harlem delivered. Each course of the $25 prix fixe lunch was exceptionally tasty with a reasonable selection of wine that complemented the meal well. The atmosphere was active, but with only a moderate noise level that did not interfere with conversation. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive and never pretentious. The location was convenient both as an easy subway ride from midtown, and as a drive into the city from out of town, with easy parking in a garage one block away. The tasty meal is calling me back for a return visit soon.Special Features:
- Perfect nightKMB1Dined on 10/14/2014Could not have had a better time at Red Rooster! It was my first visit and I had been dying to try it for years as I am a big Marcus Samuelson fan. We got there an hour before our reservation and the bar was jumping. Great singer, bongo and trombone players. Everyone was dressed dapper and really enjoying the vibe. Got seated at a corner booth and about 20 minutes in, Marcus Samuelson himself sat down at the table right next to us! He was friendly, spoke to us briefly and shook my hand and even walked around a few tables greeting people. He sat there for his own personal meal. Food was good. I had the house special Yardbird which had great spices. I would definitely go back although it would be hard to beat that experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but crowdednycreviewerDined on 10/13/2014Had amazing food, but the place was packed and we were sat at a group table. The noise and large number of people were a little distracting, but definitely still worth it because of the delicious food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Victim of its own success?KdedcDined on 10/13/2014The food was good, but nothing to write home about. The service was friendly but kind of inattentive, except for when they brought our entrees out five minutes after we ordered. We felt like we were being rushed so they could cycle through the throngs of people waiting.
- Marcus Samuelsson's Food is AwesomeRLEsqDined on 10/13/2014I had an enjoyable time. The cornbread with butter and tomato jam was tasty, as was my Boo Roo Chicken Sandwich. But the cornmeal butter pudding deserves a monument because it was divine. Looking forward to eating here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...FoodieYumDined on 10/12/2014Great vibe. Great live music! But the food... It started off with them bringing my partner's appetizer to the neighbouring table. They took it back and re-made it, however, I think they left mine to sit... My $16 grilled shrimp were luke warm - heavy on the luke. I let it go, figuring shrimp are sometimes served cold (not usually when they are 'grilled'). When my entree arrived, it was cold - not cool for roasted salmon. I returned it. They made a new one. It was yummy and hot, however, I got it after my partner was well finished his entree. We ate in shifts. I told the manager who was checking in with guests. She offered a less than sincere apology - not even a free tea... We ate at the Modern the night before - no comparison!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014THEY DIDNT HONOR MY RESERVATION TIME. THEY OVER-BOOKED AND WE WERE FORCED TO ACCEPT SEATS OUTSIDE UNDER HEAT LAMPS. HAVING TRAVELLED FROM MONTREAL WE HAD NO CHOICE IF WE WANTED TO STAY. NOW HAVING BEEN SEATED OUTSIDE IT SEEMS THEY CATERED TO THE INSIDE CROWD AND WE HAD BEEN LOST IN THE SHUFFLE. SERVICE FOR 1 ENTRE AND 2 MAINS TOOK CLOSE TO AN HOUR AND A HALF. THAT BEING SAID AFTER A LONG WAIT THE FOOD WAS NOT WORTH IT. I WILL NOT BE RETURNING. IT WAS OVERALL A BAD EXPERIENCE.
- RowdyGowdyDined on 10/10/2014Great food, nice ambiance and great service level.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceOslocallingDined on 10/8/2014We had read about the Red Rooster and wanted to try it when on holiday in New York, and we were not disappointed! We arrived a bit early to have a pre-dinner drink at the bar, and loved the ambience - people-filled and vibrant, and even if quite loud music it just added to the fun. Also, when proceeding to the restaurant, the positive experience continued: excellend food, good wine and nice service. We will absolutely recommend this place to friends & family going to NY, and have it listed for our next trip to this excellent city.Special Features:
- Dålig kväll?2swedesDined on 10/8/2014Vi hade stora förväntningar på kvällen efter att läst/hört mycket goda omdömen av denna restaurang. Service: Snabbt til bords efter ankomst var nog det enda glädjande vad avser servicen. Annars var det lång väntan och felaktiga serveringar av våra beställningar. Maten: Kycklingvingarna til förrätten var fantastiska. "Köttbiten för två" till huvudrätt var inte stekt till önskad färg şamt att det vart segt. Efterrätten 3 skopor glass, som glömdes bort, och som vi fick påminna om, serverades osmakligt i en liten "frukost-skål".
- Always delicious, fun, comfortingalisonoVIPDined on 10/7/2014It had been a few years since we visited Red Rooster. Some things seem to have changed, while other things are the same. I don't remember live music from a few years ago, but it seems like every night there's music under different themes. It's great but hard for any conversation. The food is still delicious and I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014We had a great experience! The food was delicious, the service was grea and the atmosphere nice and lively. We were placed at a table with very nice people and had a really great night! We'll go back next time in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Rooster, a gem in Harlem.Love2eatDined on 10/7/2014We walked for more than an hour to arrive at the destination. Marcus Samuelsson's Red Rooster made our walk worthwhile along with the architectural experience of Harlem. The ambience is exceptionally inviting and blends in with the images of Harlem. While the fare is mainly American, Red Rooster offers the best Swedish Meatballs. I believe this to be Marcus heritage. The pre-fixe lunch at $ 25 is a bargain, but the quality is exceptional. The service was bit slow but who cares when the ambience and the food are pleasing. I will return to the restaurant walking from Columbus Circle and recommend it to every visitor to NYC. Congratulations Marcus to Red Rooster and your team. To Ginny's Supper Club, next visit for brunch ,.Marcus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding4LuckySwedesDined on 10/6/2014We were welcomed in the entrance in a way that we felt very special. We were perfectly seated. The waitress (Tonia) has aptitude for her work. Her recomendations were perfect. Excellent food, excellent wine. And she was nice too. It is very important. We will strongly recommend the Red Rooster to our friends.Special Features:
- Good dining experienceRowdyGowdyDined on 10/5/2014Very good food, good ambiance, good service. A very good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food and ServiceLotsemellonDined on 10/5/2014The deviled eggs are to die for. So is the dry rubbed beef. There was not one thing we ate that was not really special. Service is impeccable, with the servers being there when you want them, invisible when you don't. The only thing I would add is the decor does not match the food and service. It needs a little updating, especially the ceilingSpecial Features:
- SuzanneVIPDined on 10/4/2014Good food with a terrific wait staff. Desserts are outstanding and not to be missed.Special Features:
- Harlem knowsBritsdoknowaboutfoodDined on 10/3/2014Fantastic vibe. Great music. We ate the Harlem Chowder which was a huge shared portion of seafood. It was much like a boulabaisse. So delicious. Wait staff were attentive and friendly. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but underwhelmingLeasiderDined on 10/3/2014Being a big fan of watching Marcus Samuelson, we had high expectations for Red Rooster. Unfortunately, the food fell a bit short. While the food was quite good, there was no wow factor and some of the food seemed under seasoned and lacking some spice. Atmosphere is very fun and we had a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night4ladiesDined on 10/3/2014You gave four ladies from Sweden a great night out. Lovely food and a fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!FoodieDined on 10/3/2014You have to try waffels with chicken and chickenlivermousse and bourbon mapel syrap! Sound weird but sooo good! They also have a Prix menu for 25 dollars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.