Red Rooster Harlem
310 Lenox Avenue
New York, NY 10027Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Rooster Harlem
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redroosterharlem.com/
- Phone: 2127929001
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Fri 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Samuelsson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Room Available
- Private Party Contact: Erica Morris x
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment:
On Sunday Gospel Brunch (reservations accepted downstairs in Ginny's Supper Club)
Sunday Night (Jazz)
Monday Night (Rakiem Walker Project)
Tuesday Night (Latin Night)
A word from Red Rooster Harlem
Located in the heart of Harlem, Red Rooster serves comfort food celebrating the roots of American cuisine and the diverse culinary traditions of the neighborhood. Named in honor of the legendary Harlem speakeasy, Chef Marcus Samuelsson brings his passion for food to the neighborhood he calls home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Rooster Harlem reviews from OpenTable diners
574 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (320)fit for foodies (318)hot spot (317)vibrant bar scene (304)special occasion (195)great for outdoor dining (178)great for lunch (161)good for groups (147)late-night find (133)great for brunch (126)romantic (72)notable wine list (49)kid-friendly (37)scenic view (24)Show More
- rCubed3Dined on 9/29/2014Enjoyed the food & good service. We ate a late lunch & had easy seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just about 5 out of 5OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Loved the atmosphere, food was amazing. Only reason it doesn't get an enthusiastic 5/5 was that 3 of the entre items were sold out. My gf doesn't enjoy fish so it really limited her choices. We ended up with wings as an appetizer, and then 2 chicken dishes for entres. Everything was delicious but would have really liked if the lobster Mac and cheese or the Swedish meatballs were available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We took a small brunch early on sunday and really enjoyed what we got! Perfect service and some good live blues-jazz music from the bar made this til a nice little occasion at the start of our day. Little to many swedes in the restaurant, maybe, but we are swedes ourself so we can´t complain to much over that... Strong recommendations!Special Features:
- club or dinner?natnatDined on 9/27/2014on a Saturday night the dining room is extremely energetic - to the point that it felt like a dance club, with tables around us actually dancing and singing in their seats. fun, energetic, but not really appropriate for dinner. food was great!!Special Features:
- Really food food..CURBSIDETHOMASDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic Seating at the door, nice lokal, god wines, service superb, food delicious...thanks:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we came!AllisonroseDined on 9/26/2014In planning out trip to NY, Red Rooster came recommended by a friend and we are so glad we went there. Amazing room, service, and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingNydinning4sureDined on 9/25/2014Amazing music n great food can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foods travelRikyDined on 9/25/2014Amazing food!! Great list of wine!! Unique experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food highlight of our NYC trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014I have been looking forward to dining at Chef Samuelsson's restaurant for a couple of years and it was worth the wait. Great cocktails, yummy appetizers, super entrees and dessert (peach pie with blackberry sauce!). The wine glasses stayed full and the service was excellent. I only wish my booth seat had a bit more padding as I sunk in! We had called to move up our reservation as our flight was going to be arriving later than expected and Anglela was very kind and helpful with our request- thanks Angela! We will be back on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TripleCDined on 9/24/2014First time here for my boyfriend's birthday and first time in Harlem....loved it!!!! Great food,atmosphere and music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded and friendlyFoodenthusiastDined on 9/24/2014Great food and service. A lot of staff and managers.Special Features:
- Good StartUpperWestSiderVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was my first visit, a business lunch. The cold tomato soup and fried catfish half sandwich were both excellent. The basil-accented soup with avocado tidbits floating on top was savory and refreshing. The fish was moist and tender, with a light but satisfyingly crunchy crust. Wait staff was alert and friendly. I'm definitely interested in returning to try other dishes.Special Features:
- FoodloverFoodloverDined on 9/22/2014Enjoyed the ambiance of both the bar and the tables. The grits were fabulous… The menu is not as broad as I would have hoped for considering the chef's background. We had an 8pm reservation. We waited in the bar about 20 minutes. It was jumping. Thought it was interesting that the bar was packed with blacks having a great time together. But the dining room while also packed, was a sea of whites. Only one black was seated and he had a white companion. Too expensive for the neighborhood? I don't truly know the answer. Except that the place over all did have a happy vibe. And the live jazz was great! I do love this chef! Read his book and have watched his career.Special Features:
- Worthy of many repeat visitsCBDorDined on 9/22/2014I've wanted to dine here for a long time and it was worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place - but music too laudLudvig500Dined on 9/21/2014Love Red Rooster as it has it all; the food, the ambiance, the service and the location. But the live music was just too laud and our party of 3x people had problems understanding each other and needed to basically scream to each other.Special Features:
- Timing is Key for FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We visited Red Rooster last year at an earlier dinner hour and had a fantastic experience, but this visit (we are from California so coming to New York to dine is quite a trek!) we made reservations at 9:30pm for a party of four. Three days prior to our visit, we needed to add 2 more to our party, called the restaurant and were only able to be accommodated at 10:30pm. We were actually coming to DINE though, and the 10:30pm hour was definitely not good for that! The restaurant essentially turns into a nightclub at 10pm and the focus for the patrons, staff and kitchen did not really seem to be on the food. Many of the items we wanted to order were not even available, which was a huge disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing but keeps you waitingTereseDined on 9/20/2014The food was absolutely amazing. We tried a bunch of different dishes and was very happy with all of them, and the staff were incredibly attentive. The only thing is that they keep you waiting, even if you have a reservation you will need to wait for about 30 minutes. It may be a way for them to show their popularity, but you could tell that people are not amused by this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningkikkyDined on 9/20/2014The ambiance is inviting and fun. The menu was interesting with it's mix of southern American and African splashes. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. Prices very reasonable. I'd definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastiest food in NYCBia1Dined on 9/19/2014Myself, husband and two kids (10/11) went to RR on Friday at 6.30pm, the restaurant was buzzing as was the bar. The staff were friendly and attentive without being annoying. The food was amazing, very subtle but distinctive flavours, presentation was great including portion size , color and texture. My husband and I will be back to check out the jazz and for dinner again. A great find , well done red rooster. Go and you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!Gus1Dined on 9/19/2014I have eaten at Marcus restaurant "american table" in Stockholm and I like that one much better. I choose the 3 course lunch at Red Rooster. The Grilled Peach Salad was just some grilled peaches, some greens and a cocktail tomate. Not exciting at all. The Mac & green didn't taste much and the mac was overcooked, a real disappointment since that is the best dish at Marcus restaurant in Stockholm. The dessert was really good, delocius sweet potato doughnuts! Overpriced for being in New York, you can spend your money mych better!Special Features:
- 2nd time aroundPueoVIPDined on 9/19/2014I used to frequent this place a lot and felt that I had already exhausted the menu, and the service was kind, yet lacking in detail and concern. Being in the industry myself I am both forgiving and yet intolerant of quality service, and I must say (and I will say to everyone), how pleased I am with not only the care in the presentation and quality of food, but the service from all staff, it was quite attentive and caring. I really felt it was personalized for me and I cant wait to go again and eat at the chef's table near the kitchen! thank youSpecial Features:
- Nice bar, extremly noisySebbDined on 9/18/2014All in all the food, service and ambience was good. A very mis placed bar in Harlem which is a good thing. However, for dinner the noise level was extremly high. Although we sat at a small table we hab problems hearing what we were saying.Special Features:
- foodforthoughtDined on 9/18/2014have been waiting to try this restaurant for awhile, have always heard great things about it, and it was worth the wait! Starting with the deviled eggs, and cornbread, then onto the yardbird and meatballs, mac n chesse and mashed potatoes, food was amazing!!!! and don't forget that fabulous peach pie and ice cream, toooo good! Loved the ambience, everyone was so friendly and attentive, looking forward to going back soon...............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmospherjcdiningDined on 9/17/2014I won't be able to give Red Rooster it's proper justice with this review. Overall phenomenal food - from the drinks to the desserts, everything was incredible! The atmosphere was vibrant, with a DJ and electric violinist playing in tandem.Special Features:
- TexasredDined on 9/17/2014The food is good and the music a little loud. We were a little bit dissappointed considering that Marcus Samuelsson is the owner. The service is slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The appetizer (chickenwings) was OK, but it was way to much för an appetizer. The meatballs were unfortunately tasteless. The apple-dessert was delicious.
- diningduodiningduoDined on 9/17/2014Enjoyed lunchat the Red Rooster very much. The wait staff was attentive and the food well prepared. First time dining here but hopefully not my last.Special Features:
- As Advertised!JesseDined on 9/14/2014We had heard lots about this restaurant, and I came away very, very impressed. Food was really great, and decently-priced for a nice restaurant. Good beer/wine list, and amazing service. We never waited for anything all night, and were given space at the end to just relax and talk before the bill came. There was amazing live jazz, as well, but it's stationed in the front of the restaurant by the bar so that it doesn't dominate the room. Just really impressive.Special Features:
- SteveDined on 9/13/2014What a great place. The place was absolutely hopping and the food was fabulous. Would love to get back thereSpecial Features:
- AMAZINGTartan2TarheelDined on 9/12/2014I was so surprised to get a same day reservation here - I've wanted to go for about a year but figured it was impossible to get in. Showed up about 10 minutes early and the hostess recommended getting a drink because there was a slight wait. Drink menu was amazing, atmosphere and music was amazing. Everyone was dancing and it was only 9 PM. Finally got sat (though didn't mind waiting). The food was out of this world. I'm a girl from the south who loves some southern cooking, and this was some of the best I've ever had. The Mac n cheese, chicken and waffles and pickled vegetable jar (which comes with two tasty sauces) were out of this world. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a memorable evening!BlombergDined on 9/12/2014Very good choice for everyone who loves food and a Lovely atmosphere. Very affordable 1:st class dining.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my shrimp and grits and plan to return.Special Features:
- lunch gems and gypsangiespicksnnixDined on 9/12/2014The roasted tomato soup and fried catfish sandwich were real diamonds and not in the rough! The mac n greens with lobster was a gyp.Bitter, overcooked gre ens and microscopic bits of lobster made this dish a real disappointment Lovely selection of wines by the glass saved the day and the donuts are to die for. All in all many reasons to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic lunch in Harlem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My friend and I were spending a week on holiday in New York. Coming from Sweden we have heard about the Red Rooster, so we wanted to try it out, which we don't regret. I had catfish and my friend hamburger, food tasted very good. We also have desserts, peaches and cream pie, which my friend sad tasted heavenly I had the doughnuts very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014My dessert has a hair in it. Atmosphere was nice... Lots of fashionable ppl in the hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!EricaLVIPDined on 9/11/2014Ambiance is spectacular, loud music with people dancing near the bar. Service was great and food was decent, though not mind-blowing. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceLottisDined on 9/11/2014I've heard about Red Rooster and finally made it here. And I will definately come back. The food was great and the service was excellent. I very much enjoyed the dj playing just the right music.Special Features:
- Service SpectacularMeowzerDined on 9/11/2014Food here was amazing. Opened my eyes on catfish after I had the Fried Delta Catfish sandwich. The service was really top notch though. We were made to feel like we were VIPs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experiencesnapjjkVIPDined on 9/9/2014Dinners are pricy as are the drinks but it was expected before we made our decision. I probably would pass on drinks next time because they were not worth the price. Sangria in a small wine glass should not be priced at $12 nor should a small "specialty" cocktail be priced at $15. We started with the wings, 8 pieces, perfect! For our entrees we chose the shrimp and grits and pork chop. Everything was excellent! Both perfect portions and outstanding flavor. Knowing Red Roosters reputation was our main reason for going and we were not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choiceout2enjoyDined on 9/9/2014We were visiting New York and went there for a special occasion. It was a restaurant we had heard about and of soecial significance because of our Ethiopian connections. Interesting though not extensive menu. Food was very good and service excellent. However the live band in the bar was so loud that conversation was almost impossible. Overall good value and would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.