Red Rooster Harlem
310 Lenox Avenue
New York, NY 10027Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Rooster Harlem
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redroosterharlem.com/
- Phone: 2127929001
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Fri 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Samuelsson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Room Available
- Private Party Contact: Erica Morris x
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment:
On Sunday Gospel Brunch (reservations accepted downstairs in Ginny's Supper Club)
Sunday Night (Jazz)
Monday Night (Rakiem Walker Project)
Tuesday Night (Latin Night)
A word from Red Rooster Harlem
Located in the heart of Harlem, Red Rooster serves comfort food celebrating the roots of American cuisine and the diverse culinary traditions of the neighborhood. Named in honor of the legendary Harlem speakeasy, Chef Marcus Samuelsson brings his passion for food to the neighborhood he calls home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Rooster Harlem reviews from OpenTable diners
562 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (306)hot spot (302)fit for foodies (296)vibrant bar scene (296)special occasion (207)great for outdoor dining (173)great for lunch (170)good for groups (146)great for brunch (137)late-night find (131)romantic (70)notable wine list (43)kid-friendly (34)scenic view (23)Show More
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Everything was what we hoped it be. The food was great, the wine was wonderful. The dessert was Heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I came here for the second time for a birthday dinner and thoroughly enjoyed it. The only hiccups were that we had to wait 20 min for a table even with a reservation. But we had drinks already, and the manager came over and personally apologized. The service was good but then our waiter seemed to switch halfway through and then our originally waitress came back at the end. Overall, a great vibe to this spot and excellent dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We had an amazing time at Red Rooster. The staff were very friendly, knowledgable and very accommodating to dietary needs. My wife is vegetarian and they were very attentive and made sure there were plenty of options for her. The cocktails were excellent. I would definitely (and have already started to) recommend people go for a meal. The food was some of the best we've had in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014After Reading the book Yes Chef I wanted to try Red Rooster on my next trip to New York. We were not disappointed! And I'll come when I visit New York again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014This was awesome! I enjoyed the yardbird and the cheesecake dessert was heavenly. I even got a chance to see the owner and he was pleasant, friendly, and down to earth. If you are ever in Harlem, NY, please, please, please go by and have a ball there. It is the bestest!!!!Special Features:
- Good food!svasseDined on 8/27/2014We liked Red Rooster Harlem for the food and the exiting interior. We also liked the kitchen crossover, tastes and the wine list.Special Features:
- Loved Red Rooster!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Super energetic atmosphere. The food was amazing and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine comfort foodmwagnerVIPDined on 8/27/2014I adore Marcus Samuelson and could not wait to try Red Rooster and I was not disappointed! Everything was excellent from the service to the food and the energy in the room! I can't wait to return! The Market salad was light and fresh, followed by crispy & juicy Fried chicken and then a decadent S'mores dessert. :) Happy dance~Special Features:
- Great PlaceTK11Dined on 8/27/2014the food was great, the service was great. Very good selection of food and beverages. The prices were reasonable. Just a very nice and friendly place. All and all they operate like a restaurants that respects their patrons. I cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red RoostermnbnycVIPDined on 8/27/2014This one never fails to please. The food and the service are great and it is a real neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently excellentChantboyVIPDined on 8/27/2014And Marcus was have a lunch meeting right in front of me. It was Restaurant Week so it was a steal. The bar is as top-notch as the food.Special Features:
- Outstanding evening at Red RoosterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Red Rooster Harlem was just as great as we expected. We are so happy that we made the trip specifically to this restaurant, even though our hotel was in Midtown. Staff was wonderful and knowlegeable, ambiance great, and the food out of this world. The Harlem Chowder is meant for two people, but could have easily fed a family. Also, we knew to expect this amazing seafood "work of art" to have a little 'kick', after reading Chef Samuelsson's book, and we loved it. However, I could see how it may be too much for some. The menu is an interesting selection, sure to offer less spicy options, too. Great to see that in addition to some American Classics, Mr. Samuelsson also honors his roots to both Ethiopia and Sweden in his Menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperationDinnerOutVIPDined on 8/25/2014The menu is not particularly unique, and very comfort-food based -- but the food is of the highest quality and unbelievably delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- got2Brealgot2BrealDined on 8/25/2014Good but not great food. Expected more. Good atmosphere though. Unfortunately the staff was nice but not that good. Plus long wait for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AtmosphererkakaralaDined on 8/24/2014Red Rooster is one of my favorite restaurants. I don't make it to New York as often as I like but every time I do I come here. The food is great and their cocktails are always special. After 9:00 on weekends the live music keeps the bar and dining area hopping. One note this is not a quiet place for conversation with friends or a romantic date on live music nights. It can be noisy but if you are looking for a hopping time with great food and drinks then weekend nights. If you want a quieter place then ealrier on weekday nights.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal, top notch serviceBingo9999Dined on 8/24/2014We had a great experience at Red Rooster. The food was amazing. Try the Caribbean Bacon. The service was well above average. It was our first visit and it won't be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasure!AmymcDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I enjoyed so much while we were at Red Rooster. Signature cocktails were amazing, had cornbread and deviled eggs for snacks. Caribbean bacon for appetizer and the Yard Bird and Spicy Chicken for dinner. All was fantastic. Best cornbread I have ever had and I'm from the South!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy foodPammypDined on 8/22/2014The fried chicken (yardbird) was the best I've ever had...not sure of the spices used, but I sure would like to be able to duplicate it at home! Fun atmosphere...wish I'd seen Marcus! :(
- UniqueReluctantVIPDined on 8/21/2014Red Rooster's high brow comfort food perfectly matches its casually placed Avedon photographs and equally casual unobtrusive service, which is simply impeccable. Simply outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud, too expensive.2loud4comfortDined on 8/20/2014The music was unbelievably loud. I Could not hear the person sitting next to me. Left hoarse and with a headache. Definitely not the place to bring someone to have a conversation over dinner. Maybe a nagging partner. Then you don't have to pretend not to hear he person. The food quality and portions sizes have gone down since my last time there. They gave us 4 thin tiny slices of smoked salmon on the Gravalax and the waitress almost took the plate away with 1 piece still on it. That was 25% of the appetizer. The strawberry short cake was dry. I ordered the Salmon entree. Why would you serve a warm dish on a cold soup? My entree turned tepid and unappetizing. Mango sorbet was delicious. Not worth the money. Overall poor experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014It was my anniversary and my husband had been talking about Marcus's restaurant for some time now. I wasn't really keen on the travel to Harlem but thought it would make him happy . . . well, I'd go back in a heartbeat. The food was excellent, the service was very attentive but not intrusive, the Latin music featured that evening was vibrant and the establishment was packed! All in all, it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious comfort food!FlomofoodiesDined on 8/19/2014Our family ordered the Yard bird and Mac n cheese with either bacon or lobster which all were outstanding. Also loved the wings and cornbread with tomato jam. Service is very attentive. Shared the sundae dessert, which was over waffles! Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedRobKDined on 8/18/2014After all the hype, my wife and I expected more. It's a fun place with fun food, but the quality of the food is not great. The dishes are interesting, creative, imaginative, and so full of salt and sugar that you'll go through 3 pitchers of water. The Swedish Meatballs were tasty, but overly processed and too salty. Spicy Tomato Soup was delicious, as was the cornbread. Peaches and Cream dessert so sweet as to be inedible. We were there on a Monday, and it was crowded but not insane. That is, till about 9pm when the band started playing. After that, our conversation came to a halt because of the noise. However, once we finished dinner, we went to the bar which was a fun scene, cool crowd, and the band was terrific.Special Features:
- Wonderful!jessrobson14VIPDined on 8/18/2014My family and I are from Sweden, so I had been wanting to try Marcus Samuelsson's restaurant in Harlem for a while... When my parents came to town we headed to Red Rooster and had an amazing spread of food. Between the three of us, we split the swedish meatballs, salmon dish, lamb tostadas, chicken wings, corn bread, a side of the mexican street corn, and then the peach tart. It was all delicious, especially the corn bread! I'll be back!Special Features:
- Amazing place!BrookdawnDined on 8/18/2014Loved our lunch, food was delicious and there were good vegetarian options. Service was outstanding and everyone was so friendly . One of the best restaurants we've gone to in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great energy with unique foodLindaDined on 8/17/2014The place was hopping - reservations are a must. The food was unique (chicken waffles, lamb curry tostadas, or jerk pork chop anyone?) and delicious. We were there on a Saturday, so there was live music that was outstanding. People were standing on the sidewalk just for a chance to hear the music. We were one of three tables there celebrating a birthday, so we weren't the only ones who thought it was good for a rowdy celebration. Not the place to have a quiet conversation. Someone said the portions were small; I think they were just normal!Special Features:
- DinoDined on 8/17/2014Service and greeters were EXCELLENT. Food was mediocre; not memorable at all. Beautifully decorated, and great live music.Special Features:
- Invisible GuestsKMTDKDined on 8/17/2014We arrived early for our reservation, but were told we could wait in the lounge and would likely be seated early in the dining room. We sat in the lounge for over 30 minutes and NO ONE even attempted to serve us, not a drink or anything. We tried speaking to the hostess again, but she looked right through my husband. The couple at the same table in the lounge seated after us were offered menus. We were obviously invisible! Service was non-existent, it was a very uncomfortable experience and we chose to leave. We met some New Yorkers the next day who were not surprised by our experience. Then, to top things off, they mark us as a no-show with Open Table. Nice...NOT! Don't know if it's a decent place to eat, would not go back or recommend.
- Great Dining ExperienceARG1Dined on 8/16/2014They had a last minute reservation for Saturday night, so we sat at the Chef's table and were able to see into the kitchen. It was a really fun environment and I liked the idea of a Chef's/Community table. We ordered the cornbread and it was incredible. Served warm and with butter and tomato jam. I got some to go and ate it for breakfast the next day… that good. For entrées we split the Fried Yard Bird and the Chicken and Waffles. They Chicken and Waffles was one of the best I've ever had! I loved that they served whipped chicken liver with it as a speed. The Fried Yard Bird was also excellent. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rtlovesnyDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed this restaurant so much!! The food was different and excellent. The service was good and the staff extremely pleasant. We felt very welcome and well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot!emjayseaDined on 8/16/2014I've been to the Red Rooster Harlem the last two times I've traveled from Denver to NYC! It is my favorite restaurant now. The staff is wonderful and the food always delicious!Special Features:
- Project Manageerhotplace2014Dined on 8/15/2014I simply love this place, the food, ambiance, staff was exceptional. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Great!HarlemNightDined on 8/15/2014I had a very good dining experience. I would go back.Special Features:
- Worth the Wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful Friday night dinner at The Red Rooster. Excellent staff, great energetic atmosphere. It was very difficult to get reservation … we are not from New York. But once we got reservations we were delighted with the experience. Chicken and waffles and hot wings appetizers were excellent. Shrimp and grits …. perfect portion and very flavorful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red RoosterallarounddinerDined on 8/15/2014Famous for fried chicken, but it is so "overfried" that the skin is like plaster. Didn't expect that. Front staff extremely cordial: Especially Nicolette at podium & floor manager Chari, probably NY's best-dressed/most stylish floor manage. Would try again, but would ask that the chicken not be fried to a "hard golden black." That said, inside was moist! I saw deviled eggs on menu and thought of the ones Mom made. These were okay, but a dash of relish would make a huge difference. I may be wrong, but I detected a dash of real bacon bits on top. Nice touch. Next time, I'll try the mac 'n lobster. My dining buddy is still raving about that. And he loved the fiery wings.Special Features:
- Summer2014Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, Great service and friendly dining. The cornbread is so good. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was creative and excellent. The service was amateurish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super niceAce73Dined on 8/14/2014This was our first visit at Red Rooster. We are Swedes, so we found out about it as Marcus is famous in Sweden. We quickly found out that this was a very good choice of a restaurant. The service was fantastic, a lot of people cared about us and were willing to help with our food and wine choices. Excellent tastes! We will definitely come again during our future stays in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlem gem,tasty food,left hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Decided to try Red Rooster for Restaurant Week only to find out they only have those prices for the lunch menu. Huh? Don't understand that and they actually shot themselves in the foot because my parents and I spent much less on drinks, etc. Then we usually do when we dine out for dinner. I ordered the salmon but although very tasty I had a small piece of salmon gazpacho and about 12 black eye peas, needless to say I had to eat again a few hours later.Special Features:
- Happy to say my doubts were WRONG!PiQueenDined on 8/14/2014I looked at the menu online and wasn't initially impressed. But it wasn't my choice to go here. I ordered the mac and greens with bacon, aunt had the salmon and cousin had the shrimp and grits AND chicken and waffles. I WISH I COULD GO BACK NOW! I mean RIGHT now...at 7:54 am! The food was delicious and our service was outstanding, everyone, but especially our server! Can't remember her name (blame the food) but she was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.