Red Roost Tavern
151 W. 5th St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Red Roost Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cincinnati.hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining/RedRoostTavern.html
- Phone: 5133544121
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bernard Foster
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Red Roost Tavern's Chef's Table offers semi-private dining, steps away from the open kitchen, for up to 14 guests. The Chef's Table is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Advanced reservations are highly recommended.
- Private Party Contact: Kenneth Mendelsohn 5133544121x
- Cross Street: Elm Street
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Red Roost Tavern's downtown location offers a selection of parking options to choose from including hotel valet, street metered parking or a variety of parking garages within close walking distance and accessible through the city skywalk.
A word from Red Roost Tavern
Red Roost Tavern or rTr is a nod to providing locally sourced food and spirit in a relaxing and inviting atmosphere where one or even a crowd may unwind.Continued
The menu is based on our food philosophy: “Food Thoughtfully Sourced. Carefully Served. Serving food that is good for your health, community, and planet.”
The menu is based on our food philosophy: “Food Thoughtfully Sourced. Carefully Served. Serving food that is good for your health, community, and planet.”
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Red Roost Tavern - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Red Roost Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (6)special occasion (4)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Nothing SpecialANDYSDADVIPDined on 9/25/2014Just had a burger and a beer before a meeting. Burger tasty but over cooked; I had clearly asked that it be pink in the middle. Fries were quite good. Server was not particularly attentive but I didn't care as I had reading to do. Perhaps an entree would have been more interesting, but I'll not be going back to find out. Burger overpriced too.
- This place has a split personalityLolanatiVIPDined on 9/13/2014The menu is interesting and fairly expensive, the ambiance is sports bar, and the service is hillbilly. We were asked if we wanted more wine to "wash down our dessert." We will not be back.Special Features:
- What a pleasant surprise!drmmVIPDined on 9/6/2014We went to Red Roost Tavern because it offered 1000 points and we had not heard much about it. We were pleasantly surprised. Our meal started with a Murphy-Goode Sauvignon Blanc for my wife and a Sunset Sangria for me, followed by Caesar salad flat bread and watermelon gazpacho. Both items were excitingly different, especially the flat bread which was essentially a warm Caesar salad on the crusty flat bread. Both items were excellent. Bread was sub par. My wife had BBQ Ribs which she said were the best she has had anywhere in the area, including the famous ones. I had grilled spicy scallops accompanied by roasted fennel and pork belly. The wonderful combination of flavors complemented each other perfectly. Waitress Victoria was very nice.Special Features:
- wouldn't returnRafeDined on 8/23/2014Very long waits for food despite a not very crowded restaurant, meals not as ordered, app brought out with meal, husband had one beer-took empty bottle and never asked if he'd like another (he would have), salmon and veggies overcooked, potatoes with steak unimaginative; best part were my sons fries...sad to say. manager asked us how our dinner was, we invited her to sit down and gave her list-- she comped our whole meal which was so nice to try to salvage, but prob not enough to get us to go back.
- The following 49 reviews are from the Red Roost Tavern reviews archive.
- good food, slow serviceGiveMeTheNomsDined on 6/28/2014It took over an hour to get food. The staff did everything they could to accommodate and make-good for the delay - so they get an A for effort. Once food arrived we enjoyed our meals - poutine, grass fed burger and the short rib sandwich. The asparagus soup was really lovely. A friend added salmon to her salad and it was minuscule, but they did give us an extra plate of fries as an apology. We even went back much later that night for a drink, and it took 30 min to get a drink at the bar. The bar staff has to pour shots out of these horribly inefficient jiggers that take an unnecessary amount of time. I'm not sure why they can't get service speed to improve, but I hope they do because the food was good and the ambiance was nice.
- Busy is not an excusePtomaineVIPDined on 6/28/2014We went with a group of 5 pre-Beyoncé concert at 5:30. Very early for us. Very loud. Seated promptly. Waiter was courteous, but very slow. He said that it was because they were busy. At least 7-8 tables were empty. Food was by and large average. Two in the party ordered desserts. We canceled them after 20 minutes when they did not arrive. We were there for almost two hours and we did not dawdle. We simply waited for food...desserts...and the check. I finally walked to the bar and paid when our server disappeared after dropping off the check. Many other, better restaurants nearby.Special Features:
- A great last minute choice.G137Dined on 6/7/2014A pleasant experience in an undiscovered downtown restaurant, perhaps because it is in the Hyatt and doesn't have a street presence. The Farm-to-Table concept is completely honest, and food offerings were varied and our selections were as promised and flavorful. Nice menu without a long list of choices. Limited wine selection but good choices. Service was exceptional from a young man in this country via an international college internship and Hyatt. A very nice surprise for a last minute reservation.Special Features:
- Great mealGoRedsDined on 5/17/2014We had an excellent meal. We ate dinner on a Saturday night. Our server was extremely attentive and friendly. The bill was a bit on the high side, but other than that everything was perfect.Special Features:
- They are trying, but...mmascolinoVIPDined on 5/12/2014So there is some obvious care going on with the menu and they are trying to put some unique, interesting food on the menu. Now with that said, the service was lackluster. The waitress was exceedingly friendly but way too slow for how unbusy the restaurant was. As a side note, the restaurant decor is impressively modern. It was a beautiful place.
- a surprisesmile4uDined on 5/9/2014food was fresh and tasty. somewhat long wait for food, but at least worth the waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business meetingIndianonbusinesstripDined on 5/9/2014Perfect enviornment for a business meeting. The staff was very courteous. Helped in making sure you get exactly what you have asked for.Special Features:
- VegetarianmeetscsrnivorevegetarianmeetscarnivoreVIPDined on 5/6/2014The food was excellent! (Some of the best plank salmon that I've had dining out.) It's within walking distance of downtown events, but the ambiance leaves a lot to be desired. However, we will eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. poor service, siteCintiKidVIPDined on 5/2/2014excellent food, rather expensive. quirky service and poor ambience. quietSpecial Features:
- What an improvement!JeffCVIPDined on 4/17/2014I appreciate all the owners of the Hyatt downtown have done to the hotel. My company uses the Hyatt several times a year and all of my out of town personnel have made positive comments about the changes. The Red Roost is a very good restaurant with an active bar and a menu that covers our needs very well. I am happy to see this hoel turn the corner.Special Features:
- WaitressLorinnVIPDined on 4/8/2014If it wasn't for our excellent waitress, Victoria, and the restaurants amazing pretzel bread, we would probably never go back. Their management, a foreign women (I don't recall where she was from) was extremely dismissive and uncaring. Or possibly, we considered, there was a language barrier. Way too many fabulous restaurants to go to though, if one isn't completely up to par.Special Features:
- beautiful spot newly redesignedJonlDined on 4/7/2014menu reminiscent of local 127, featuring local produce in dishes that are simple but very well done. Salmon was excellent in a grapefruit bernaise sauce, though the pork belly flatbread was just good, not great (could have been more flavorful with a stronger horse-radish sauce). the interior is beautifully redesigned as part of the new renovations to the Hyatt; true gem is really the bar, featuring some creative cocktails (bourbon/carrot/beet) and an extensive menu of microbrews all for $6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okayKLV2014Dined on 3/30/2014Our server was new. Our drinks sat waiting at the bar for a long time before the bartender just delivered them herself. Our courses did not come out in the order that we asked to receive them. The items on our charcuterie plate were never described. Their open kitchen concept is a waste at dinner because they close the section nearest to it. I also had to hunt down a hostess to ensure that I would even get my reservation honored through OpenTable. The food was good.
- Downriwn DinerDowntowndinerDined on 3/27/2014I took some women for a celebratory dinner. It was March Madness, happy hour, and the restaurant was delightful! The food was delicious for my part but my guest found too much butter and garlic in the squash & pumpkin ravioli. But my guest did like the taste. Definitely will return. Fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerWickedFansDined on 3/21/2014I forgot to make dinner reservations until the day before our trip to see Wicked. Almost every place was booked. I found this restaurant on Open Table and after reading reviews decided to give it a try. Our food was incredible! As others mentioned, the chef provides a yummy gourmet treat to start off the dinner. I had the pumpkin/sweet potato ravioli. It was seasoned perfectly and it was good portion size. My daughter had the crabcakes and slaw. She devoured the slaw and I don't believe she has ever eaten slaw in her life! That alone speaks volumes when a teen eats slaw. I believe it is because the food is so well seasoned and prepared that the flavors and smells are so enjoyable. Outstanding food, extremely friendly staff, good atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hyatt's makeover in thePeachesDined on 3/20/2014The Hyatt's makeover in the lobby area is very cool and the Red Roost Tavern can become a destination restaurant for fun and good food - just need to get the word out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy access to Duke Energy Con.CtrChristineVIPDined on 3/7/2014Ate here for every meal during our weekend working at the Cincinnati International Wine Center. Great service, great food, excellent bar! Will definitely be back for any future events at the Convention Center! Make reservations on Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noonetheresyndromedepatee1Dined on 3/1/2014the place was empty on a sat.nite.service was a little slow.out of two things i wanted.one was an entree, one was a beer! food was hot though.it should have been.no one was in there.remodel was nice. one other thing salad for $7.00!!!! just lettuce and a little shaved cheese!!!! got to beef it up a little.add cucumber,tomato, onion, etc etc etc........then charge6.999999.I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time but not lastRegularsVIPDined on 2/21/2014Excellent food and service in the conveniently located RR in the Hyatt. The waiter was knowledgeable about the menu, and the food was very tasty and plated in an appealing style. We recommend the organic chicken flatbread - probably the best I've tasted in the city. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Our server had an attitude when she approached our table and it got worse from there! When asked a question about the menu, we recieved an eye-roll, a blank stare, and then a sarcastic answer. The food was OK but not exceptional. Burgers could have been warmer but were cooked to our request. The crabcakes were moist and warm as expected. Presentation, very nice but the server slammimg plates down on the table was not acceptable. I feel the food was a bit over priced for the quality and amount you recieved, but not out of line for a downtown establishment. The noise level was very high and hard to carry on a conversation. Overall, a bad experience and we will not be returning or recommending this place to others.
- Awesome food, service hit and missOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/9/2014Our food was really great (french onion soup, beet salad, burger and reuben at lunch) but it came out wrong the first time, presumably because the server never wrote down our order. I dont care either way as to each person's preference on writing it down ir not, as long as it comes out correctly. The woman who wasn't our server seemed more concerned than our own was to correct the issue, so thats why i say hit and miss. Again, loved the food. Perfect location next to Expo Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good; the food deliveryScrappyTVIPDined on 2/7/2014Food was good; the food delivery was pretty slow given we were there for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!deejal01VIPDined on 1/25/2014An undiscovered gem of a restaurant attached to a hotel. Beautifully renovated and excellent food. Appetizers ordered included the crab cakes and French onion soup. The crab cakes were delicious and the French onion soup was different because it was a tomatoe base. Two orders of salmon were delivered perfectly prepared and served at just the right temperature. All of the food was prepared and the quality and flavor of the food surpassed all expectations. Moderate prices are inline with other downtown Cincinnati restaurants. I will definitely recommend Red Roost Tavern to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a sleeper, good experiencejabs0204VIPDined on 1/25/2014We made a last minute reservation on a Saturday night, and found ourselves to be the sole customers in the restaurant. As a result, the service was very attentive, but not overly so. Our waitress was knowledgeable and very friendly. I liked the open decor of the restaurant - very comfortable. The bar was quite full with dozens of patrons. We had our young daughter with us and she loved the kids' menu and her meal. They were responsive to our request to feed her first. I enjoyed the short ribs, my dad loved the pork, and my mom loved the pumpkin ravioli. All were satisfied and impressed. We also were served a light bite - a lettuce wrap - before our appetizers as a gift from the chef. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerradamDined on 12/31/2013Had the half chicken, roasted with mushrooms and mashed pumpkin. Chicken was fantastic, as was the pumpkin--surprise! Good vibe, attentive waiter and surprisingly low cost meal. I'd recommend this place to anyone who is looking for good food prepared by caring chef's.Special Features:
- New Gem in CincinnatiLovingCincyFoodSceneDined on 12/13/2013YUM! Creative menu with locally sourced ingredients and this restaurant delivers. From appetizer to dessert each dish was delicious and the service was perfect. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist TrapRyGuyDinesVIPDined on 12/10/2013If this restaurant weren't in a hotel it would probably go out of business in a matter of weeks. I had the bison burger and it tasted like a bland hamburger that could be scored anywhere else for half the price. My friend had a pulled pork sandwich that he said was “just alright”. Our service was good but then again we were almost the only people in there at peak lunchtime. Ultimately simple fare for top dollar.
- NiceMattDined on 11/30/2013The remodel is nice and the food is excellent for the prices. Downtown with the kids for a show so was convenient and thought would be more kid friendly (and it was. Arrived at 6:00 PM and the only ones in the restaurant. and still that way when we left at 7:30. Hope it stays in business because the food is great and affordable. Do many business lunches their during the week and is always consistent. I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable BrunchCWoodVIPDined on 11/28/2013Visited the Red Roost Tavern on Thanksgiving Day for their brunch. First time to the restaurant and I was very pleased with their brunch. All things Thanksgiving were available as were other items and everything was good. Service was good, especially those at the serving stations.Special Features:
- Ehh, nothing specialbcoleman427Dined on 11/27/2013Food was good but not great. Service was acceptable but not outstanding. Wine and beer were overpriced.
- New OptionhungrygirlDined on 11/20/2013Since the weather is getting colder we were looking for a lunch location closer to work. Went with a group of co-workers and loved. Menu is varied so everyone found what they were looking for and food was great. Able to get in and out quickly too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My girl friend and I wenthomegrownDined on 11/17/2013My girl friend and I went here on a Sunday night and we could barely each other because it was so loud. Every TV is a different channel that had the sound on. I wouldn't mind coming here after work on a Friday but not on a Sunday night.Special Features:
- Incredible LunchRoonicusDined on 11/13/2013I went in during my lunch break and the food was fantastic! It was enough food to fill me up without making me want to fall asleep when I got back to the office. I highly recommend the pulled pork sandwich on the pretzel bun! The service was fast and polite which is great because I do not have a long lunch break. I highly recommend it to anyone downtown for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic NightKatieDined on 11/9/2013Red Roost Tavern went above and beyond with great service, Great food and its a great place to go. I would advise anyone to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2013It was a disappointing time for a restaurant I had read fairly good reviews of. While the wait staff was polite, they were not very informative of the menu, and lacked the knowledge you might expect from a restaurant toting their use of locally farm-fresh food. Felt less like a fresh restaurant and more like a small hotel bar/grill.
- Wonderful food & servicemad4foodDined on 10/24/2013Our group of co-workers have been here twice and love it. No one has had a bad dish and the service was outstanding. The staff went out of their way to welcome us. We were treated to two free apps and a birthday dessert for our co-worker's birthday. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.