Red Pump Kitchen
401 East Main Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Red Pump Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redpumpkitchen.com/
- Phone: 4342026040x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tue,Wed,Thurs,Sun: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday and Saturday-5:30pm-11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am-2:00pm-Brunch coming soon
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Todd Grieger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Red Pump Kitchen
Fine Mediterranean-inspired cuisine with house made pastas and artisan wood fired pizzas made with fresh, locally-sourced meats and produce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Red Pump Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Red Pump Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (67)hot spot (38)special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (27)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (8)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Wonderful End to an EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014My Wife and I stopped by Red Pump after an evening of traveling to Charlottesville. We could not have asked for a more pleasant ending to a long day. Tucked up in the corner of the banquet with a view of the full restaurant and kitchen we enjoyed the newly released fall menu. We both can not wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencegeobarnsdinnerDined on 9/12/2014We visited Red Pump last Friday night and had a outstanding meal--the food is simply perfect. Amongst the three of us there was not one dish that was not worth raving over.....with seven different orders plus drinks we all could have eaten each others meals! For top quality dining the price was very reasonable at $50/head...less than I would have expected.Special Features:
- Really great foodEdwardDined on 9/12/2014Hip spot for creative pizzas, good wine and beer. Not real quiet so go there to enjoy a great meal and be out with friends who don't mind the noise and busy atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall impressionDebsterDined on 9/12/2014Waited a long time for food. Extremely loud. My husband ordered Halibut which was dry and overcooked. Told server. Who knows if he relayed message to chef. Would go back but on a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great urban vibeMlouiseDined on 9/11/2014We went because the "look" was right...happy to say the food was very "right". It was fresh and interesting and very good.Special Features:
- Terribly disappointingegoodDined on 9/10/2014Arriving at 5:45, were seated in the very back, under the loudspeakers. Even at then it was obvious that noise would be a problem. I ordered the steak which arrived pre-sliced, cool, piled atop a bunch of kale, which I had told the waitress I did not want. The steak was of good quality and cooked as I specified. Wife ordered Halibut which came overcooked and dry. Left about 6:45 and the room was about half full and the noise was such that we could not hear our waitress. Wine list of obscure varieties, almost all Italian. Judging by the two which we had by the glass, way overpriced cheap, bad wines. Owners must think by offering wines most people have never heard of, they can get away with junk and charge a lot for it.
- YumCinderellaDined on 9/9/2014Great dinner...nice variety. Dessert was to die for👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Mall GemrrrrrondaDined on 9/9/2014My first visit to Red Pump Kitchen. Decor was beautiful and the food a treat. Enjoyed the squid/pimento cheese pizza and pasta made from squid ink. Interesting cocktail list too. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Good Food but Too NoisyFredDined on 9/6/2014I ate at Red Pump with three other diners on 9/6/14....a Saturday night dinner during a Virginia home-game weekend. The food was quite good, but don't expect the standard Italian-restaurant fare. Authentic Tuscan flavors rule here, and all four at the table enjoyed the cuisine. We started with the Margarita pizza as an appetizer. Good and fresh, but cut into six slices (instead of eight). Our server mentioned that the kitchen was "from scratch," so it surprised me that she didn't direct the pizza person to cut it into eight slices. The meals were uniformly good, as were the desserts. My main complaint is the noise level. Once the crowd got in and the bar was packed, we could hardly hear each other. This is not a place for intimate dining.
- No flavor.Lowcountry23Dined on 9/5/2014The presentation of the main dishes was excellent (we had the steak and the Halibut) but there was absolutely no flavor or seasoning on anything. I was so disappointed because everything else, from the ambiance to the service, was excellent. Will give it a second chance but chefs - don't forget the seasoning before sending out the dishes!Special Features:
- Tasty, but expensivefoodtravelerDined on 9/4/2014Themed and modeled after Tuscan trattorias, Red Pump offers unique tastings that come close to the true thing. However, overpriced dishes and highly marked up wine list (with few offerings of wine by the glass) disappoint. Two glasses of wine, split appetizer and desert, and the two cheapest entrees put us close to $100. Wine by the class is a small pour. Portions are also on the small side.Special Features:
- Great Food - room for improvementJBS212Dined on 8/31/2014We had a reservation, still had to wait 40 minutes for a table a Sunday evening so we weren't seated until after 9pm. Drinks were fantastic & the food delicious but portions were quite small. Two of us at the table ordered the halibut which I highly recommend but it honestly looked like it was split down the middle between the two of us (which just may have been the case considering they were out of both drinks and food when we tried to order.) Prices were a tad high given the size of the portions. Service was slow. It took ~15 minutes from the time we placed our drink order until we got it. Food was another 30 minutes. Would definitely be willing to give it another shot b/c the food really was just delicious.Special Features:
- Good for special occasionveggiemanDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I tried Red Pump when it opened and loved the food and atmosphere although we found it a little pricey, particularly if you want to try appetizers & antipasti as well as entrees. We were seated at a too small 2-top and our pizzetta was constantly in danger of being knocked over in the crowded room. My mother wanted to try Red Pump and main concerns were the noise and her comfort. Luckily we were seated at a 4-top and not at a high table with stool (make sure you mention if you need conventional seating.) The noise level was tolerable and the food delicious. Unfortunately, the coffee we ordered wasn't delivered until long after dessert was finished, even though we reminded out server and the person who delivered our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous addition to CvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful food (try the pizza, the tomato salad, squash blossoms, halibut, steak and the peach dessert.) Management and wait staff terrific -- thank you Jeff. Will go back plenty.Special Features:
- Every bit a delightEjmquiltsDined on 8/29/2014It is obvious that precise attention to detail has been given to everything. The Arugula, Ricotta, Caramelized Pizette for an appetizer. This wood fired pizza was quite possibly the best wood fired pizza I have ever had. Our entree pastas were impeccable, the Pea and Ricotta Tortellini is not what you think. The Tortellini, made in house, was not rolled but in little cups that held the filling, and the scallion puree was absolutely delicious. The Orecchietti was just as good. Our fresh peaches and cream dessert was delicate and full of flavors. The owner/manager stopped at our table to check on our dining experience, always appreciated. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014Would like a minimal kid menu, or a nod to children on the menu. The food was too salty, according to three of the four adults. Acoustics lacking -- hard to converse because of the noise. Service was good.
- LovesGoodFoodDined on 8/17/2014My expectations were high and I was not disappointed. Both the halibut and snapper were cooked perfectly and the appetizers (shrimp and a salad of tomatoes and nectarines) were fresh and delicious. My husband had the peaches and cream dessert and raved about how good it was. The complaints about service in earlier reviews were NOT verified. We had quick and efficient services. It did get quite noisy by the time we finished dinner (7:15) so go early if a quiet meal is your aim.Special Features:
- cancanDined on 8/16/2014Fantastic. I live in Charlottesville and brought my mother from out of town and a few other guests and the food was fantastic. I believe we ordered everything on the menu....Special Features:
- Cvillegal298Dined on 8/15/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Red Pump Kitchen. Good thing we made our reservation ahead of time...the place was packed! Everyone in our party enjoyed their food - delicious and lovely presentation. I had the Crab Stuffed Squash Blossoms - best I've had so far. My entree was the Ahi Tuna - ordered rare and it was cooked (or just kissed the grill) perfectly. Great waitstaff and Chris the wine guy was wonderful to work with.Special Features:
- loved all of itCarlDined on 8/14/2014My wife and i dined at Red Pump for the first time last week and what a great new find in Charlottesville. Food was creatively prepared and served in a beautiful setting with the full front of the restaurant opening onto the vibrant downtown pedestrian mall. Easily felt like one could have been in Tuscany. Our group of five tried the wood fired pizza, a halibut and red snapper dish, as well as the sirloin. Each was commendable. Well prepared and fresh with local farm raised options when appropriate. The staff was young, attractive and friendly. Prior comments about noise were not experienced on our visit and the space was about 80% full. Give this beautiful place a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven FoodtonysueDined on 8/14/2014Some dishes were good, others below expectations. Four of us shared a variety of dishes. We liked the Arugula pizza, we thought the Octopus pizza was bland, some of the crust was burned black, and the Octopus was hard to locate. The sourdough under the Squash Blossoms (which were good) was also burned. And the tuna tartar, although good, was not as tasty as implied by the menu description. We had been to the RPK once before and invited two others to join us tonight. The left saying they will not return, which is not the reaction we had hoped for or expected. We sat at a high table and found the seats very uncomfortable. If you go, request a regular table.
- Welcome New RestaurantokayraeDined on 8/13/2014We ate outside, which was delightful. The menu is innovative and the food is fabulous. Non-alcoholic cocktails on drink menu were much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Pump Kitchen DeliversDickDined on 8/12/2014We came to thank our guests for taking care of our animals. We sampled several aspects of the menu--cocktails, wines, antipasti, pizzette, main course, cheese tray and dessert wine. All were quite good though service needs a bit of a tweak, all in all, far above the average.Special Features:
- Great addition to Cville food scenetravellerVIPDined on 8/9/2014Baby Cress salad with grilled apricot and nectarine/tomato salad were beautifully presented and very tasty; portions and flavors on the pasta dishes we chose for main meal were perfect; service excellent. Drinks and wine also great. We split dessert and appreciated that they bothered to divide it for us on the chilled slate it was served on. Only one minor complaint: no decaf coffee available to go with dessert. They expect to have decaf available soon...we trust that is correct. Not as loud as some reviewers suggest. Lively atmosphere but we carried on a conversation fine. We will return. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great new place on downtown mallStumo65Dined on 8/8/2014Enjoyed the pizza and tortalenni. Great food and attention to detail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/6/2014Our waitress, Jordan, was 5+ stars....attentive, helpful, great with recommendations and very honest in describing any delays or issues due to this being a new restaurant. The food was very good, and patrons simply need to understand that dishes come out when ready, and their timing is off due to the desire to deliver everything when freshly prepared. My only complaint was the octopus pizza - the sauce + broccoli rabe was extremely bitter. While the pizza crust was beautiful and the grilled octopus delicious, the sauce + broccoli rabe was extremely bitter and it required copious wine sips to dilute. I still rate this dinner beautifully because overall the food was fabulous. The squash blossoms appetizer was excellent.Special Features:
- cvilletripDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant has only been open two weeks, and it shows. It was very crowded and extremely noisy. It has a tin ceiling, and while it looks nice, the noise hits the ceiling and bounces back down on the diners. It was impossible to have a conversation. Although the service was OK for the appetizers and main course, we waited a long time for desert. The food has promise. We had red snapper and halibut, but the halibut was over- cooked. I think at some point they will get it together, but they are in the early stages.Special Features:
- Worth Your Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/3/2014This restaurant is a gem in the making. The menu is inventive without being over the top. The timing of service was a little uneven, but it was professional and otherwise well done. That should work out with time. Round tables in the center of the room are not big enough for 4, but they insist on seating that many - a bit too cozy. Our pasta was just right and the spice levels were appropriate to the dish. The cocktails are beautifully crafted and not too sweet. I'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Ugh.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014I was REALLY excited about this place and I left completely underwhelmed and will not be returning. The good: I enjoyed the ambiance and noise level, although I can agree the restaurant is a little cramped. The food was very good, but the size to price ratio was absurd with the appetizers. $14 for a piece of fried squash on top of a 2 inch slice of bread with a tablespoon of crab meat? The bad: Waited forever for drinks and food. Apparently they do not allow you to put in appetizers before your entree, rather the entire meal must be ordered at once so they can get the timing right. #1- no other restaurant does this and manages to "get the timing right", and #2- they still got the timing wrong. The staff is also a bit pretentious.
- A new jewel has been born!DowntownkidsDined on 7/31/2014Red Pump is a must dine either at the bar or table or al fresco. Delicious pizza, awesome apps and incredible entrees! Welcome Red Pump, welcome!Special Features:
- French Bistro lands in C'ville!foodie4funDined on 7/30/2014Beautiful, authentic setting, fantastic food; Very, very loud however; would NOT recommend for intimate dining unless you go very early or very late.Special Features:
- Red Pump Kitchen Hits MarkTomADined on 7/26/2014Very enjoyable dining experience. Started with grilled shrimp, then Margherita Pizzette, and Halibut entree. All very well-prepared and delicious. Attentive, professional staff, excellent service, very nice ambience, not too noisy. Chef does a very nice job. View of kitchen. A new Charlottesville gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Pump reviewJeglkgDined on 7/25/2014Friendly service, very good food. Very, very noisy! A bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 115 decibel restaurant - good foodFoxMountainDined on 7/25/2014Another choice for the foodies in Charlottesville. However, very noisy -- especially with the tin ceiling -- so go with that expectation. Hate to be in there when they don't have the front windows open to the mall. I expect the best seats will be outside once they open that part of it. Good trendy beer selection if you like the microbrewery kinds. The liquor and wine WAY overpriced, but that is the standard for the higher end restaurants these days, so they follow that pricing strategy. Don't order gin and tonic -- the tonic water is flat. As for the meal, pricey but overall, the kitchen does a great job, so value proposition on that end of it was acceptable. We enjoyed the steak, the halibut, the tortellini, and the rigatoni.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to CharlottesvillemarcoVIPDined on 7/24/2014My wife & I visited Charlottesvillle for the first time &were drawn into this attractive spot on a Thursday night. The place was packed, so we were hopeful the food would match our expectations. We ordered a nice bottle of Sangiovese, bruschetta & pasta and were NOT disappointed with flavors that took us back to our visit to Tuscany 4 years ago. Unfortunately, the atmosphere was ruined by an overwhelming noise level, with every patron shouting over each other to be heard. If there was any background music, you couldn't hear it, & the decor provided no buffers to absorb the noise. We quickly finished our meal & left. We've been in busy,fun,vibrant restaurants in many major cities but never felt the atmosphere overrode great food-until now.Special Features:
- yummy pastatboneDined on 7/23/2014Best thing we ate: crostini with chevre, peach and prosciutto - delicious! Pizza was tasty with a thin and chewy crust (not super-crispy which is how we like it) and had three pastas between us, all good. The spicy penne pasta with the red sauce was a favorite at the table, although the vegetarian tortellini was also very tasty. Lovely server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grwat new restaurant on the mallMadison4VIPDined on 7/22/2014Good attentive service, menu a bit limited, but good quality food and great presentation. Drinks were really good. High energy, but noise is over the top, jarring when you enter. Too many hard flat surfaces bouncing the noise around. Have to lean over and talk loud to hear.Special Features:
- First visitDowntownCitizenDined on 7/22/2014Brought a large group for our first time. Great food, medium-high cost, excellent service. Will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieMDDined on 7/20/2014Food quality and service were excellent. A touch of Tuscany right in downtown Charlottesville! Hands-down, one of downtown's best restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little FindcmhamelDined on 7/20/2014A friend and I went here because we heard of the new place from another friend. For only being open 3 weeks- I was highly impressed. The staff was excellent, the atmosphere was super cute, and the food was delicious. The food was great all the way from Apps to dessert! I would highly recommend this place to anyone!Special Features: