Red Pony Restaurant
408 Main Street
Franklin, TN 37064Neighborhood:
Franklin / Brentwood
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Red Pony Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redponyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (615) 595-7669
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason McConnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer services for all occasions from weddings to corporate events. We can accommodate service for forty to four hundred. Specialized menus can be designed for all occasions with considerations for dietary and special needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Red Pony Restaurant offers an upscale atmosphere and professional service without the white gloves in Historic Downtown Franklin. From a rehearsal dinner to private company function, Red Pony can accommodate any type of event or party. Private events at Red Pony can range from heavy appetizers for organized social gatherings to seated formal diners. Food for your private event is not confined to our menu but limited menu selections are required. There are multiple spaces available to reserve including a second floor patio for 30 guests. The upstairs dining room can seat 60 guests but if you're looking for a smaller space we have the ability to split the dining room with a floor to ceiling privacy separator. The entire restaurant or upstairs (includes upstairs dining room, deck & cocktail lounge)are also available for private events. There is a food and beverage minimum to reserve a private space. For minimums and additional details please contact our Catering Concierge
- Private Party Contact: Kari Mauk 6155956070
A word from Red Pony Restaurant
With two floors of casual fine dining (as well as an outdoor deck), Red Pony Restaurant has clearly become the favorite destination for great food on Franklin's historic Main Street. Chefs Jason McConnell and Carl Schultheis have teamed up to create a fun, wide ranging menu utilizing the freshest locally grown produce, meats and seafood. The two chefs have worked together for six years and their diverse cooking styles appear in new items daily. Voted "Best New Restaurant 2006" by Southern Exposure Magazine, Red Pony's eclectic menu has been called "skillful in its simplicity while intriguing in its worldliness."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Red Pony Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Franklin / Brentwood ›
Red Pony Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (145)special occasion (138)neighborhood gem (113)romantic (82)notable wine list (68)hot spot (48)good for groups (45)vibrant bar scene (38)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- DianneDined on 11/22/2014As usual, the food was delicious, but the brussel sprout salad was over salted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic! Each visit is better than the lastShelbyDined on 11/15/2014I live in Franklin and visit Red Pony for special occasions. My wife and I were there 11/16 for dinner and it was amazing. They treated us to a complimentary appetizer and desert for our anniversary. The service was impeccable. The meal was the best I have had anywhere in years. I had the Elk tenderloin and my wife had the pork shank special. The handmade drinks were great. The wine list had something for everyone. The total was around $170 out the door but that included a good tip. So, it is not cheap, but it is worth every penny. I was full when I left. Plenty of food. If I had to pick one restaurant for a special occasion this would be it. Try to get a table upstairs near the front of building. It overlooks main street. Get there early for some cocktails at the upstairs bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular food and superb serviceJakefromMemphisDined on 11/14/2014One of the best dining experiences I've ever had from start to finish. The duck bacon appetizer was amazing. We savored every bite of the gnocchi grits. My grilled lamb chops were to die for and her bacon wrapped elk medallions were out of this world. The creme brulee at the end was the perfect cap to the evening. Our experience was amazing. The prices aren't cheap, but the food and the experience was worth every penny. A definite must for a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Franklin Fav a Service MaverickGreenManDined on 11/14/2014Very nice job night before last! We regularly make the rounds to all Davidson and Williamson county restaurants. Unfortunately(and fortunately), that means that Red Pony is neglected during a more and more lengthy circuit of Music City hot spots, new and old. We had made a special request for a particular table for Saturday night with you, and expected that the chances that we would get lucky in that regard would be about 15%. But we got our table. Not much of a story, i know, but it is an opportunity to compliment you on an elevated level of guest service, illustrated by your attention to detail, practiced flexibility and an intention to please the "Pony Pack" who picks up smart phone or tablet on a Tuesday, to plan weekend fun at our Franklin favorite. Ride!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red PonyJoeredponyDined on 11/13/2014I thought the food was outstanding as well as the service, but at over$200 for two,people was at least 33% overpriced. Would only go there again for a very special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Pony RestaurantTobyDined on 11/10/2014Overall recommended, excellent service. the Shrimp and Grits was very good. The noise level was too high for easy conversation.Special Features:
- Outstanding!JCLexDined on 11/10/2014We spent the day in Franklin and at the recommendation of a friend had dinner at Red Pony. It was outstanding! The food, service and the atmosphere were perfect after a long day of travel and shopping along main street. If you are in Franklin, Red Pony is a great choice for dinner!Special Features:
- Love Red Pony!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2014The service at Red Pony is wonderful! We were in a large group and they were running a bit behind schedule, which was fine for us. We were happy socializing at the bar. They brought us 3 amazing appetizers for our wait and apologized several times. I love this place. Service means so much and they get an A+!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceMistyPixieDined on 11/7/2014We were there for the first time for my son's birthday. Everything on the menu looked great. The server was very knowledgeable and attentive. They brought us special first timer appetizer; that was very welcoming. I put in my note in my reservation that it was for the birthday and every staff in the restaurant knew about it. The table was ready for us when we got there. The food was wonderful. Overall, it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night get togetherFNGTDined on 11/7/2014I think for the most part the experience was good. Some of my group thought the food was just ok. I thought my meal was very good.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantEnjoysfoodDined on 11/6/2014We were visiting the Franklin/Nashville area and this restaurant was recommended to us and we were not disappointed. The food was different and delicious and the atmosphere was very nice. I had elk that was delicious with a delicious salad and homemade guacamole for an appetizer that I shared. My husband had a delicious pork dish. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and would recommend the restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DependablehofdianeVIPDined on 11/4/2014You can count on a great meal at the Red Pony. Reasonable prices, excellent service. Love it.Special Features:
- Great NightJohnDined on 11/1/2014We had reservations for 5 at 8:45 because of the wine festival in downtown Franklin. We arrived 45 minutes early with two extra people expecting to spend time at the bar. They seated us right away. Food and service were outstanding!Special Features:
- Vegetarian Friendly, Great foodapt2dineDined on 10/31/2014One of our party is a vegetarian and she had no problems finding plenty to eat -- even the amuse bouche was vegetarian. Our dinner started with a very nice Mendoza red wine. The cauliflower appetizer was loved by all. We couldn't stop eating it. The pork dish was very well cooked and full of flavor. The only dud was the spaghetti squash with brie. It was so overwhelmed by nutmeg that you couldn't taste anything else. A little nutmeg goes a long way, adding too much is kind of a rookie mistake. But everything else was delicious. The service was friendly and helpful. The interior is beautiful and upstairs is a great place for a romantic dinner. Our only complaint is that some of the tables are very poorly lit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014This was our first time at the restaurant and we will definitely go back to try more of the great selections on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesPhilbertioDined on 10/28/2014A warm greeting, prompt service and very varied menu full of fresh, local items make this a place if recommend. Found this place from a trip advisor recommendation and wasn't disappointed. I came here for a business diner, and we were surprised with it being -50% off on wine bottles between $51 and $100 per bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Wonderful food, great experience and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent menu, great taste and pricing is good. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special eventsmaureensdaughterDined on 10/21/2014Have dined here for birthday dinners and selected it for 8 year wedding anniversary. They greeted us warmly and showed us to a table that looked down on the street outside. They offered us complimentary flutes of champagne which was a nice way to start our dinner. Everything we tried was excellent, especially the Elks in a blanket, beef tourenados, and the pumpkin tiramisu. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable about the dishes and the wine list. He also suggested events in the area coming up. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServicerotokimDined on 10/20/2014I was extremely impressed by the atmosphere, service and cuisine. The atmosphere is very artistic and stylish, yet warm and inviting. The service was exceptional - Paige, our server, was extremely knowledgeable about the entire menu (food and beverage). Also, the cuisine was extremely flavorful, balanced and original. Prices were on the higher side, but not as much as a prime steak house. It's well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014Wonderful, creative menu and fabulous food. Highly recommend... and I am super picky!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Pony Franklin, Tennesseelv2eatDined on 10/18/2014I took a group of college roommates to the Red Pony and we all loved our food. I had the grouper and it was fantastic! Some of the others had Shrimp and Grits, which is a restaurant favorite, and thought that was very good. Our waiter Jeremiah was very nice and helpful with our selections.We would definitely return again and try different dishes.Special Features:
- A Franklin CenterpieceMVNashvilleVIPDined on 10/16/2014If you are visiting Franklin, this is a great place to have a relaxing dinner. The food is uniquely tasty and service is southern friendly. Be sure to try the signature variety bread basket with dipping oils and butters. The elk dish is full of flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & great service!KevinDined on 10/13/2014I brought three out of town business guest in and we had a great service and a wonderful meal! I would highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Food was superb! Our waiter was the best waiter we have ever had. He said he had only worked there four or so months. I felt like he was extremely knowledgeable of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to take out-of-townersCarolDined on 10/11/2014Super restaurant - downtown Franklin. Service a little slow. Could not get time I wanted on Open Table, so called them and they worked us (Seniors) at an earlier time. We were too early even then, but walked around the downtown area where there was a lot of activity for people watching. Got in right on the time we had changed to.Special Features:
- Great service and dinnerGregBDined on 10/10/2014My wife and recently dined at The Red Pony Celebrating our anniversary and had a great experience. We shared a quail and biscuits appetizer with blackberry and jalapeño preserves which was excellent. I had the dry aged ny strip that was cooked perfectly. My wife enjoyed the beef medallions. The chocolate martini with the Creme brûlée for dessert was delicious. A wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!!LandPDined on 10/10/2014We had a fabulous experience! Our server was knowledgable and attentive. The food was amazing. We want to try their other restaurants next time we are in Nashville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our evening at the Red PonyKatydidDined on 10/8/2014The cocktails were unique and very good. The food was perfect as well as the service. I brought a friend from out of state and he loved every detail of this place. I had requested a table near the window into the kitchen and we were given the best seats in the house. Every person we met was courteous and delightful. We could not have asked for better on any level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTWINKSTERDined on 10/8/2014GUACAMOLE FABULOUS AS WAS THE SPECIALTY MARTINIS; MY FAVORITE IS THE "FRENCH KISS" PEAR FLAVORED. IF YOU LIKE SHRIMP AND GRITS THIS IS THE PLACE. THE BEST!Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerSilverFoxDined on 10/8/2014Our 1st visit to the Red Pony was delightful. I mentioned that it was our anniversary in the reservation form. We were given a table overlooking Main Street. As it was our 1st visit, we were given a delicious appetizer consisting of grits-based gnocci. My husband had the beef tournados & I had the shrimp & grits. We each had a side of grilled asparagus which was ample enough for 2 to share. Our meals were prepared to perfection. We split a dessert of the coconut cream cake. My only complaint is that the cake was refrigerated, but I have had similar cakes in other restaurants & this is par for the course. I wish there were a way to know (remember ahead of time) that it's chilled & ask to have the chill taken off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLadyDined on 10/7/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner with delicious and imaginative food and great service. We'll be back for future occasions.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!NashVegasFoodieDined on 10/7/2014We started off our evening at the bar for a few happy hour drinks and the bar tender was fast, friendly, and very knowledgeable of not only the wine and mixed drinks, but the food and the restaurant in general. The two hostess' were friendly and welcoming! Our server was prompt and suggested a tasty appetizer, quail and biscuits. I enjoyed the Elk Medallions and my wife said her Beef Tournedos were delicious! It was a perfect evening to sit outside on the second floor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itNotFussyDined on 10/4/2014Only one out of six in our party raved about his meal (pork remoulade.) Two of us ordered shrimp and grits and both agreed the dish was overwhelmingly greasy or buttery. I could not believe how skimpy they were with the grits. I make this better myself at home and believe me, I am no chef. One couple shared a $35 steak which was ordered medium well and was served to them raw in the middle. It had to be sent back. We are not fussy and demanding people, but we certainly expected more from this highly rated restaurant. Also, it took around two hours from ordering to leaving.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Great food. Great service. Great staff. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Outstanding food and very good service. Small focused menu that takes advantage of seasonal local farm products.Special Features:
- Good restaurant!TCashionDined on 10/3/2014Not that familiar with the Franklin dining scene, but we wound up at the Red Pony via online research. Was not too keen on the name, but the menu looked good, so we took a chance. We were not disappointed. Great bar and bartender (Steph, I believe). We were seated upstairs - they have an upstairs bar, too! - and the food and service were excellent. Only minor complaint is that cool weather was coming in, and the A/C in the restaurant was blowing right on our table periodically. Left us a bit chilly, but we were able to slide around to minimize the effect. Still a very fine dining experience, and would definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Not Again!!!foodygDined on 10/3/2014We went there 2 years ago and our order was lost. Went there again recently, and again, our order was lost(i.e. forgotten to be turned into chef). We waited and waited. I just cannot believe it happened to us the only 2 times we have dined there. The management and waitress were very nice about it all-taking our appetizer off the bill and apologizing. I had heard the shrimp and grits was outstanding, so that's what I ordered. It was so salty that it ruined the meal. That's never happened to me at a restaurant. The artichoke risotto was very bland. I tasted my husband's grouper and it was just ok. Their bread very good. The atmosphere is very upbeat and trendy.Special Features:
- AwesomeBESTDined on 10/2/2014From our waiter, Brian, to our food, and the ambiance, I could have not asked for a better dinner experience, overall. This was the restaurant where I asked my girlfriend to marry me. To be honest, I was really worried about how the experience was going to be. Although I only saw great reviews for this restaurant, I know less things have happened to people (going to a restaurant to propose and have it be the worse experience, ever). So, I was praying about this the entire week, leading up to the big night. God truly answered my prayer to make this a positive and enjoyable experience and he used Michael, the manager, and Brian, the waiter, to make it happen. Glory to God -- ALWAYS and a HUGE thank you to Brian and Michael.Special Features:
- Sep 27, 2014JimSDined on 9/27/2014Excellent service. Restaurant is a find for a little town like Franklin. Must have on the menu: calamari. It is more like sweetbreads. Elk medallions are excellent as well.Special Features: