Red Pony Restaurant
408 Main Street
Franklin, TN 37064Neighborhood:
Franklin / Brentwood
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Red Pony Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redponyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6155957669
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason McConnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer services for all occasions from weddings to corporate events. We can accommodate service for forty to four hundred. Specialized menus can be designed for all occasions with considerations for dietary and special needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Red Pony Restaurant offers an upscale atmosphere and professional service without the white gloves in Historic Downtown Franklin. From a rehearsal dinner to private company function, Red Pony can accommodate any type of event or party. Private events at Red Pony can range from heavy appetizers for organized social gatherings to seated formal diners. Food for your private event is not confined to our menu but limited menu selections are required. There are multiple spaces available to reserve including a second floor patio for 30 guests. The upstairs dining room can seat 60 guests but if you're looking for a smaller space we have the ability to split the dining room with a floor to ceiling privacy separator. The entire restaurant or upstairs (includes upstairs dining room, deck & cocktail lounge)are also available for private events. There is a food and beverage minimum to reserve a private space. For minimums and additional details please contact our Catering Concierge
- Private Party Contact: Kari Mauk 6155956070
A word from Red Pony Restaurant
With two floors of casual fine dining (as well as an outdoor deck), Red Pony Restaurant has clearly become the favorite destination for great food on Franklin's historic Main Street. Chefs Jason McConnell and Carl Schultheis have teamed up to create a fun, wide ranging menu utilizing the freshest locally grown produce, meats and seafood. The two chefs have worked together for six years and their diverse cooking styles appear in new items daily. Voted "Best New Restaurant 2006" by Southern Exposure Magazine, Red Pony's eclectic menu has been called "skillful in its simplicity while intriguing in its worldliness."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Red Pony Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Franklin / Brentwood ›
Red Pony Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (128)fit for foodies (121)neighborhood gem (113)romantic (87)hot spot (55)notable wine list (53)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Sep 27, 2014JimSDined on 9/27/2014Excellent service. Restaurant is a find for a little town like Franklin. Must have on the menu: calamari. It is more like sweetbreads. Elk medallions are excellent as well.Special Features:
- First timeTomPDined on 9/27/2014This was our first time to Red Pony. We had sushi for an appetizer, shrimp with grits and filet with twice baked potatoes for entrees. Everything was delicious and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable MealJackDined on 9/27/2014Went to dinner on a Saturday night with a group of friends. I was surprised by the design of the place. It has a pretty fun modern red themed interior that gave it a slightly edgy feel (I mean that in a good way). The food was excellent. I ate lamb cutlets and was very happy with my meal. I can't remember what my friends had but their comments were all quite complimentary as well. Drinks wise I had a Moscow Mule that was pretty tasty. Service was excellent - and one thing I REALLY liked was how often they filled my water glass up. All in all I had a great time at the Red Pony and would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great romantic atmosphereSbragwellDined on 9/27/2014The night started with very courteous service by the hostesses. Next the bartender was very friendly even though he was very busy. Next our waitress was great very informative, just enough visits to make sure we were ok. Then the food. The elk was awesome. The grilled bacon app was delicious. I will definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not excellentMelysheaDined on 9/27/2014The food was good. We had reservations a week in advance and they still sat us by the bathroom. The service was subpar for restaurant at this price. Overall I would go back one more time to take my wife. It will not be somewhere that I recommend as a place to splurge.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinner!JenniferHutzel23Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I very much enjoyed our dining experience at The Red Pony! We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and they took it upon themselves to make us feel the love! The food was excellent and the staff was terrific! The crème brulee was outstanding! We will definitely be back!!!Special Features:
- always goodLisauDined on 9/25/2014Out of town guests loved the place. Food was fantastic. Waiter had an outside table keeping him busy but did an OK job getting to us. Yumm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre - UnfortunatelyrlnashVIPDined on 9/20/2014Disappointed on our last visit there. Guacamole was too salty. Salad dressing was watery. Main was just ok. It is too expensive for mediocrity - especially when compared to the new restaurants who are killing it in Nashville. Love the setting upstairs and the service is always very good.Special Features:
- OutstandingpenderhDined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit to Red Pony. As before, there was nothing we put in our mouths that we didn't love. We started out with the lamb chops appitizer. The pesto was the kicker. Next, my wife and I split abowl of crab bisque and a tomato salad which were both phenominal. My wife had the shrimp and grits and I had a filet with cheddar mashed potatoes. The filet had a wood smokey taste and was cooked perfectly. We also had a bottle of reisling wine which was fantastic. The ambiance and decour our really nice. The wait staff is outstanding. I just can't say enough good things or use enough positive adjectives to describe how great our dinner was. 5 stars and highly, highly recommend!Special Features:
- Good food and servicetnjohnDined on 9/20/2014I made the restaurant aware that we were celebrating our anniversary when I made the Open Table reservation, and this was acknowledged by the waitress when she brought the menus. Shortly after bringing our drinks, she brought us a small appetizer compliments of the chef, and after dinner we were treated to a desert of our choice compliments of the Red Pony. While the menu selections were limited, the shrimp and grits my wife had and the elk I had very very tasty. Menu items and drinks are a little pricey, but worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- New placeBeamer1Dined on 9/19/2014We decided to try this restaurant after reading the reviews. We arrived early and they were able to seat us. We sat upstairs which was nice. Since this was our first time to be there, we were treated with a same appetizer. The guacamole appetizer was good. Our entries were the elk and filet which were good and we finished off with pecan pie. Our waiter was very helpful and attentive. We will go back when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites ...CravecaseDined on 9/19/2014Red Pony is one of our favorite places in Franklin, along with their sister restaurants. Everything on the menu is fabulous!Special Features:
- Great find on OTLClemDined on 9/17/2014Chose restaurant based on Open Table reviews and was NOT disappointed! Great food, wine and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DIssapointed3rdAnniversaryCelebrationDined on 9/17/2014Embarrassed at the low quality of Bone-In Ribeye. Thinly cut and very fatty. I hosted a party of nine and my guests, who had other entrees, had a good time. Service was fine.Special Features:
- Exception serviceSteveSDined on 9/16/2014The food, atmosphere and especially the service were absolutely exceptional. Pricey, but worth it for special occasions. Very experienced and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ExperiencevinceDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I went to Red Pony for our anniversary. We had a great time. The food was fantastic with interesting menu choices such as elk. Our waiter was personable and efficient. The cocktails were great as was the wine with dinner. We will definitely be returning. It was also very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The service was amazing. The food was outstanding. I will return!Special Features:
- So fantastic!NashTransplantDined on 9/13/2014This is the second time we've dined at Red Pony and we were again blown away by everything. From service to atmosphere, drinks and all courses, everything was outstanding!!Special Features:
- Local GemCfillnhDined on 9/13/2014We sat down and the waiter asked us if we had ever been to the restaurant. We said no and they brought us a complimentary first-time visit appetizer! Our meals ended up being delicious and the waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable. Although our food was a bit over salted, our overall experience was excellent.Special Features:
- Failed ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My wife wanted to go back to the Red Pony specifically to get a dish she had had there before and loved. Once we got there we found out that that dish had been discontinued because, even though it had been a local favorite, the management felt it had been on the menu to long. The fact that it had been a good seller for 8 years did not seem to matter. She ordered something else from the menu but was not impressed. I guess the management at the Red Pony has never heard the saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. It will be a long try before we try the Red Pony again.
- Another great birthday celebrationFirstNYCVIPDined on 9/12/2014Stephen our server, made for a memorable night out! As always, great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvfabfoodDined on 9/11/2014Everyone in our group enjoyed dining here. From the appetizers to the desserts, everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere!!LALadyDined on 9/11/2014Were there on an evening before concert. Was in and out with plenty of time to spare. Unique and inspired menu.Special Features:
- Wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014We spent 3rd year anniversary and it was really nice. Only wish they kept the Chocolate Molten Lava cake on the menu!!Special Features:
- GREAT FOODFoodie56Dined on 9/10/2014My wife and I finally decided to check out the Red Pony for our one year wedding anniversary. We ordered the Lamb as well as Shrimp and Grits... the food was delicious! I really can't put it into words, it's the best I've had. And of course, finishing off our meal with creme brulee was perfect!Special Features:
- Repeat dinerSkyflierDined on 9/8/2014This was my 2nd time at Red Pony. I enjoyed it so much the first time, I brought my husband for our 25th anniversary for my 2nd visit. It was a bit disappointing. He ordered the shrimp & grits, I got the wolffish. His shrimp was a bit overcooked, and the waiter was nowhere to be seen to even ask how our meal was. We had a great waiter on my first visit, not so great the second time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findunexpectedtravelbonusDined on 9/8/2014We booked here because of the reviews, but really weren't expecting the adventurous and creative menu we found. Service was excellent and watching the kitchen staff perform was its own entertainment bonus. Really good and imaginative food. Not your typical southern experience. We loved it!Special Features:
- Great, as usualSharonDDined on 9/6/2014We had happy hour drinks upstairs at the bar with Ariel before sitting to dinner with Jeff. He was knowledgable and helped us pick a great new (to us) bottle of wine with dinner. It was a wonderful night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely Placed LocationLike2EatLocalDined on 9/6/2014OUTSTANDING local place!!! Food was AMAZING and service was FANTASTIC...Nashville is FULL of GREAT off the beaten places to eat at and we generally press on to find another every time that we have a special night out; however the Red Pony is a keeper we'll be back and will bring friends next time!!!Special Features:
- good date spotLQQKaliveDined on 9/5/2014Cool place. And can be pretty romantic or fun for a small group with a swanky looking bar (both up and down stairs). Had the lamb and it was a bit over done and bordering on dry for my taste. Wolf fish is a great dish.Special Features:
- ServiceRobertVIPDined on 9/5/2014The service was over the top great. Our waitress was very attentive.Special Features:
- Awesome FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We are new to Franklin.....and this place was outstanding. Our waiter was excellent and explained the dishes beautifully. The food was amazing. We will be back to try more of the menu. Love that the menu is a seasonal menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 4Scottsdale8Dined on 8/30/2014Food was good, but not great. They took one of the best dishes off the menu - the braised rabbitSpecial Features:
- Obnoxious !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014I never write reviews...however, I believe ownership of the restaurant needs to be aware... I have been to red pony 1000 and always a great experience with fantastic food and amazing service!! I was seated in the main dining area downstairs - in the middle was a table of 6 or 7 people who were drunk, loud, rude and obnoxious ..the waiter apologized, as he did to every other table in the area . Management said a couple times to quiet down, which just elevated the volume !!! The quiet romantic dinner I had hoped for was severely compromised.. If I owned the restaurant - I would have requested they lower the volume or leave!! The 15 tables surrounding this group would have stood up and applauded!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun cocktails, great servicegalyngDined on 8/28/2014While the food is definitely good, this place really shone when it came to cocktails and our server. He was fun, offered great recommendations, and he really made the night. My friends had the salad with tuna, which they agreed was very good, and I had the beef tenderloin pizza appetizer. (I needed some protein and didn't want to eat too much.) The pizza app could serve as a meal and it was very good, if not a traditional pizza. The addition of bleu cheese with the beef was a nice touch. It was great as leftovers as well.Special Features:
- Stellar night at the Red Pony!TwoJakesDined on 8/23/2014The Red Pony hit on all cylinders Saturday night. We had the best two-top table in the restaurant. Right in front of a large picture window which gave you a tremendous view of the kitchen. Very cool! Our waiter Aaron (spelling?) was excellent. Well versed with the entire menu and wine list. I had the Elk Medallions and my wife had the Filet. The meal was well prepared and visually works of art. More importantly the food tasted wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Pony dinnertastebudDined on 8/22/2014We had a delectable dining experience. Commendable staff & excellent waiter who was very attentive to our needs. Also well-versed in all menu items & how prepared. The menu shows a large degree of innovation & sophistication, from appetizers to dessert. Everything was done to order & very pleasing to the palette. The atmosphere itself was moderately noisy (given the full house at 6:30 PM on a Friday), yet we were still able to converse easily, privately. Also, the wine list is notable & drinks (i.e. alcohol) of good quality. This is our NEW favorite restaurant; we will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent food but $$$OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014A bit expensive and the atmosphere was nice but nothing to write home about, but the food and service were great. Make a reservation, though. It's a busy place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingFranklin74Dined on 8/21/2014We were seated near the pump thing downstairs. I sat on the bench seat as my husband sat in the chair. As soon as I sat down I sunk into the bench. By he springs were shot and I was in a hole. I told the waitress but she seemed to not care and said she would tell them. It would have been nice to been moved but nothing was mentioned. Therefore I sat in a hole for dinner and it was not very comfortable. Even the man next to me said i looked sunken Down. Not the best dining we have had there. We come a lot and will be while before we return. Food wAs good but had to ask waitress for the specials. The menu has changed and my favorite- BLT was off the menu.:(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & food was outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We had an excellent time. The staff was one of the best, they were so nice, went above and beyond and the food was amazing. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.